Just bought my dream lens. 28mm Summilux
Old 01-31-2020   #1
Leica All Day

Just bought my dream lens. 28mm Summilux

Hello Everybody,

I moved back to America exactly a year ago and I have been incredibly fortunate on how things turned out for me, it was a big gamble moving back here but I decided to take it. Of course I miss my old life in Thailand and all of the great things that I loved about living there and traveling around in that part of the world, but I am happy here and doing well.

I decided a couple of days ago to buy myself a 28mm Summilux, I've been wanting one for years and found one at a good price (LNIB $5,000) and bought it. It arrived about an hour ago and I am still questioning myself on why I bought a 28mm lens when I have been using a 28mm Elmarit for the last 16 years and it has served me well. But I know why I got it, and I have no regrets at all. I am fortunate that I can actually afford it now and know that I will use it a lot. Ironically, I never put 2 and 2 together until I was taking this photo. As I was taking the photo, I realized that I actually have my dream set up in my hand and I started laughing at myself for not thinking of that earlier.

Suburbia
[/url]28mm Summilux by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 01-31-2020   #2
retinax

Congrats! Your pictures from Cuba with the ~28 equivalent phone show you can work great with this FL, although those compositions seem to benefit from the dof of the phone. If I ever win the lottery I will buy one of these, or the 28 Summicron, although I'm quite content without it, in which state I will remain because I don't play the lottery...

Old 01-31-2020   #3
steveyork

Good going, lets see some pictures!!! That wide and fast, no location can stop you. As you wrote, if you use it a lot, it's never a mistake.

Old 01-31-2020   #4
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

That lens looks good enough to eat. Congratulations!

Old 01-31-2020   #5
Larry Cloetta

Congratulations! Looking forward to some examples

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 01-31-2020   #6
Leica All Day

Thanks a lot everybody, I am really happy I got it.
Is it cheating if I post photos I took with my friend's 28mm Summilux? He let me take his lens to Myanmar for a quick visit and I fell in love with it.
These are some of the photos that made me want to get this lens.

Yangon, Myanmar
[/url]Yangon by

Yangon, Myanmar
Yangon by

Yangon, Myanmar
Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 01-31-2020   #7
Leica All Day

Unfortunately I doubt I will go to Myanmar anytime soon because I plan on exploring this part of the world for the next couple of years, but I feel fortunate that I got to use a 28mm Summilux there to take these photos. I am excited to use my new lens in places that I've never been before, it will be a nice challenge.

Yangon
[/url]Yangon by

Yangon
Yangon by

Yangon
Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 01-31-2020   #8
Archiver

Congratulations, Michael! Does this mean your upcoming images will be Summilux 28 as opposed to 35 Distagon?

Speaking of which, any chance you can take a photo of the Lux beside the Distagon for comparison, or did you move the Distagon to get the Lux?

Old 02-01-2020   #9
narsuitus

Congratulations on your 28mm f/1.4.

For my Leica M6, the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon is my dream lens.
I often pair my 35mm f/1.4 with a 21mm f/1.4 Leitz.
I have never considered a 28mm for my M6 because for my tastes, the 28 is too close in focal length to my 21 and 35.

I look forward to learning how your 28mm f/1.4 affects your shooting style.

Old 02-01-2020   #10
raid
Dad Photographer

Congratulations Michael. Looks like a great lens.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-01-2020   #11
aizan

28mm is the perfect focal length to take a photo of "the scene before me." It's wide enough to get the whole scene, minus peripheral vision, without getting obtrusively wide-angle-y. When shooting close, the fast aperture helps to manage cluttered background elements when you don't have time to reposition yourself in the ideal spot.

One day...one day...

Old 02-01-2020   #12
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
Congratulations, Michael! Does this mean your upcoming images will be Summilux 28 as opposed to 35 Distagon?

Speaking of which, any chance you can take a photo of the Lux beside the Distagon for comparison, or did you move the Distagon to get the Lux?
Hello Archiver, yes, I imagine I will be using my 28mm Summilux much more than my 35mm Distagon from now on. I didn't get rid of my 35mm Distagon and I don't really plan on it, I do plan on getting rid of my 28mm Elmarit soon because I don't need two 28mm lenses. I'll take a photo of the Summilux and Distagon side by side soon and post it here for size comparison.

Thanks narsuitus, aizan and Raid.

cheers, michael

Old 02-01-2020   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I'm always fascinated how someone like OP is able to deliver high quality candids and haul the brick instead of lens. I remember OP photos with 35 1.2.
Personally, I'm not in this heavy-lift league . I was not able to stand against of Canadian Percheron, 28 2.8 III, too much of the VF blockage.

Old 02-01-2020   #14
helenhill
mod chasing light

wow Michael , Congrats !
Mighty special to have One’s Dreams... in hands

She’s a Big Gurl, lookslovelytbat combo, Put it to good use, Enjoy !

Old 02-01-2020   #15
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
wow Michael , Congrats !
Mighty special to have One’s Dreams... in hands

She’s a Big Gurl, lookslovelytbat combo, Put it to good use, Enjoy !
Thanks a lot Helen, I plan on using it a lot and seeing what images I can make with it.

Thanks Ko.Fe.

The photos that I have been posting are all from a trip that I took to Yangon a couple of years ago and I only used the 28mm Summilux. That trip and these images are somewhat responsible for me getting this lens.

[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 02-02-2020   #16
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Am I remembering correctly that you also shot the Summicron? If so how does the VF blockage compare?

Old 02-02-2020   #17
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Am I remembering correctly that you also shot the Summicron? If so how does the VF blockage compare?
Hello Bob, no, unfortunately I have never had a 28mm Summicron. I used one for a day about 10 years ago but I don't remember anything about it.

cheers, michael

Old 02-02-2020   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Congratulations not only on owning the 28 Summilux, but on your ability to use it so effectively as well! These are great documentary shots of life in Thailand.

Where in Florida are you? I grew up in Miami. Northeast section.

Old 02-02-2020   #19
Ccoppola82

Wow you really put the magic into that lens. Wonderful shots. I have the v1 Cron and love it. I always assumed the Lux was massive, but it doesn’t look terribly big on your first photo.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 02-02-2020   #20
DwF

Your pics look great, and the lens doesn't look much different on the body than the 21mm SEM (must be wider in diameter though) It has same hood design, so it looks compact.

Anyway looking forward to see more.

David

Old 02-02-2020   #21
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Great shots Michael, You got a lens that fits your eye. A window to the soul, indeed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 02-02-2020   #22
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Congratulations not only on owning the 28 Summilux, but on your ability to use it so effectively as well! These are great documentary shots of life in Thailand.

Where in Florida are you? I grew up in Miami. Northeast section.
Hello Rob I grew up in Fort Lauderdale but I haven't lived here in 25 years. I moved back to the area a year ago and it's OK.

Thanks a lot everybody, I am happy I got it. Here are some photos from the 28mm Summilux that I took in Myanmar a couple of years ago.

Aung San Suu Kyi on the front page of the paper.
[/url]Yangon by

Yangon
Yangon by

Yangon
Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 02-02-2020   #23
silkyfeet

really nice shots.

Old 02-02-2020   #24
Henry

I would never have though about the 28mm as something I'd like until I spent years using an iPhone camera as my main travel device. It really changed my mind about how it can be used with composition. As always, I KNEW it was going to be one of Michael's posts. His images are so identifiable and thoughtfully composed. It's really a masterclass in what you can do with the 28. Can't wait to see what you produce with it.

Old 02-02-2020   #25
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leica All Day View Post

Yangon, Myanmar

Beautiful photo, Michael.

Old 02-02-2020   #26
jjcha

I also really like the one of the child on a train in particular. From the photos, seems obvious the 28mm lux is a well earned and will be well used purchase for you. Enjoy!

Old 02-03-2020   #27
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcha View Post
I also really like the one of the child on a train in particular. From the photos, seems obvious the 28mm lux is a well earned and will be well used purchase for you. Enjoy!
Thanks Pál_K and jjcha, the train station in Yangon is one of my favorite places to photograph, it just feels right to me.

I am not sure how these two photos will look side by side, but they are of the same scene, just from different angles.
Yangon Central Railway Station
[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Yangon, I have been eating here for years. The owner allows the workers to live/sleep there so they can send more money home each month and save on rent.
Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 02-05-2020   #28
Leica All Day

It's going to be a minute until I am able to post recent photos from this lens, I am currently sending my film to Precision Camera for developing and scanning, they are great and all, but I really need to find a lab in my area.

Yangon Central Railway Station
[/url]Yangon by

Female nun
Yangon by
Shwedagon Pagoda with young female novices
Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 02-05-2020   #29
trisberg

Would love to see some of your recent shots. In the meantime your older photos from Myanmar keeps us here. They are all wonderful. I'm really enjoying our work here. Thanks for posting these.

-Thomas

Old 02-06-2020   #30
Out to Lunch

Before buying the rather large and expensive Summilux, have you compared its performance with the smaller and cheaper Summicron f/2 ASPH?

Old 02-06-2020   #31
Leica All Day

Thanks Thomas, I'd like to get some recent photos from my lens too, it's just going to be a little longer than usual for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
Before buying the rather large and expensive Summilux, have you compared its performance with the smaller and cheaper Summicron f/2 ASPH?
Hello Out to Lunch, no I didn't. I wasn't really interested in the 28mm Summicron, I wanted the 28mm Summilux.

cheers, michael

Old 02-06-2020   #32
fbf

congrats. great pictures.

Old 02-06-2020   #33
Timmyjoe

Quote:
It's going to be a minute until I am able to post recent photos from this lens, I am currently sending my film to Precision Camera for developing and scanning, they are great and all, but I really need to find a lab in my area.
Female nun
[/url]Yangon by
Shwedagon Pagoda with young female novices
Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael
Really love these two shots Michael. Are there any restrictions for taking pictures of the religious order?

Best,
-Tim

Old 02-06-2020   #34
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Really love these two shots Michael. Are there any restrictions for taking pictures of the religious order?

Best,
-Tim
Thanks a lot Tim. After 12 years and around 25 visits to Myanmar I have never experienced any restrictions when it comes to taking those types of photos. Taking photos of the army and police is frowned upon and can lead to some unpleasant situations, which I have experienced first hand.

cheers, michael

Old 02-07-2020   #35
hendriphile

Good shots, nicely exposed. I know these are not recent images, but do you recall whether you used reflective, incidental, in-camera, or manual metering?

Old 02-07-2020   #36
Leica All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendriphile View Post
Good shots, nicely exposed. I know these are not recent images, but do you recall whether you used reflective, incidental, in-camera, or manual metering?
Thanks hendriphile, I use the in-camera meter 99% of the time. I do carry a sekonic meter with me when I am traveling, but I hardly ever use it. On this particular trip, I actually left my light meter in my room, along with the rest of my lenses and just carried my Leica m6ttl and the 28m Summilux everyday. It was the only lens I used on that trip.
cheers, michael

Old 02-07-2020   #37
Vince Lupo

Your work is really super, Michael. Likely among the best on RFF (if not the best!).

I do have a 'business' question for you, if you don't mind -- what happens to your photos? Do you work for wire services? NGO's? Where does your work ultimately end up (to pay the bills I mean, if that's not being too intrusive)?

Flickr Albums: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

Check Out Our Latest Work On Our Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 02-07-2020   #38
rscheffler

Fabulous photos Michael!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
Congratulations on your 28mm f/1.4.

For my Leica M6, the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon is my dream lens.
I often pair my 35mm f/1.4 with a 21mm f/1.4 Leitz.
I have never considered a 28mm for my M6 because for my tastes, the 28 is too close in focal length to my 21 and 35.

I look forward to learning how your 28mm f/1.4 affects your shooting style.
21 & 35 spacing certainly makes sense. From my own experience with the 21/1.4, which was a mainstay lens for me on the wide end for many years, after getting the 28/1.4, my use of the 21 dropped precipitously, to the point where I probably should have sold it some time ago. I find 28 is usually wide enough for me in low light situations and pairs better with 50mm, which I also like a lot. I can't speak for Michael but yes, the 28/1.4 affected my shooting style. When I use a 21 now, it's usually in daylight and its the SEM instead of the Lux.

From a technical perspective, the 28/1.4 benefits from being a more recent design than the 21/1.4 and is generally sharper wide open and has considerably less wavy field curvature and the corresponding drop in sharpness in the mid-zone region. My experience with the 21/1.4 taught me to generally avoid subject placement in the rule of thirds zones if sharpness was important and the lens was not stopped down much. This hasn't been an issue with the 28. I also prefer the focus tab included with the 28 compared to its exclusion from the 21, where the focus ring and aperture ring are too similar in feel and too close together. But that's not to say the 21/1.4 is bad. If you know its sweet spots, the rendering is great and sharpness is sufficient. IMO the 28 is just that much better (from a technical perspective).

There was a question about the 28 Cron. I had the v1 for about 5-6 years before the 28 Lux and it was one of my primary use lenses. Definitely smaller and less vf blockage than the Lux. The Cron was sharp and I loved its subject separation and background rendering at nearer shooting distances, but the v1 had a fair amount of field curvature (though not wavy like many Luxes), which meant sharpness didn't hold across planar subjects shot at or near wide open (for some this might not be important). The v2 improved on this somewhat, but I personally had two bad copies of the v2 with very strong field curvature, that others apparently haven't observed with their copies. That bad experience led me to the Lux. Yes, the Lux is a relatively large lens (for a Leica M) but I found its multifaceted capabilities an acceptable tradeoff. I use it in any situation in which I use my Leica that calls for 28mm... low light through to stopped down full sun shooting. IMO it handles it all well and I don't feel I've lost any optical performance compared to the Cron v1 (though each have great but somewhat different rendering). Other than the larger size and odd-for-Leica 49mm filter size (but thankfully not an obsolete "Series" type filter used by the 24 and 21 Luxes) the only catches with the 28 Lux (IMO) are a tendency to flare in certain backlit situations and fairly strong purple fringing at or near wide open with high contrast transitions (probably more a digital than film problem).

Old 02-07-2020   #39
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
Plenty of labs in SF Bay Area, when are you coming back?