Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Flickr Pro Prices
Old 01-21-2020   #1
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Flickr Pro Prices

Am I wrong but it looks like they doubled for a yearly subscription ?
--------

We’re writing to inform you that effective today, the price of Flickr Pro subscriptions has increased to:

1 month: $6.99, plus tax
3 month: $18.99, plus tax
1 year: $59.99, plus tax
2 year: $117.99, plus tax

. . .

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

Old 01-21-2020   #2
taemo

didnt know what but you are right.
i renewed my flickr in november but i might add another year at 2019 prices.
https://petapixel.com/2020/01/21/the...tarting-today/

i use flickr to store jpeg copy of my finished work and been a user for a long time now.

Old 01-21-2020   #3
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmtwit View Post
Am I wrong but it looks like they doubled for a yearly subscription ?
--------

We’re writing to inform you that effective today, the price of Flickr Pro subscriptions has increased to:

1 month: $6.99, plus tax
3 month: $18.99, plus tax
1 year: $59.99, plus tax
2 year: $117.99, plus tax

. . .
Try a one-year Pro account at Smugmug for over 3 times that two year price....

Old 01-21-2020   #4
Tim Gray

Not quite doubled. They got rid of the $25/year price some time ago, but had grandfathered it in for a few people for a bit. I had to pay $50 in Jan of 2019 for one year. Same this Jan.

Old 01-21-2020   #5
wwfloyd

I paid $50 a year ago, after the price increase. This year -- taking advantage of the 2-year renewal deal -- it was $48 per year.

$59 per year after that, assuming no more increases.

The doubling from $25, to $50 was hard to take. At least this time, they did the smart thing, and took the edge off, with a discount. After Flickr's message about needing new subscribers a month or so ago, this is no surprise. And, based on comments I'd seen on DPR from some Flickr users -- and others chastising us as cheap -- I'm glad it's $59, instead of their suggested $100 per year.

Old 01-21-2020   #6
oldwino

I just renewed at the end of 2019. I may go for an additional year at that price, but not two years. I’m not sure Flickr will be around in two years.

current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 01-22-2020   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

As they no longer support my logging in with any of my email addresses I guess I can tick another thing off on my “quit wasting time online” list.

Old 01-22-2020   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

The problem is, here is no any other hosting with groups and high resolution, plus, easy to post links.

Old 01-22-2020   #9
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
The problem is, here is no any other hosting with groups and high resolution, plus, easy to post links.

There is no problem: Even after the price increase flickr remains very cheap for what it offers.

Old 01-22-2020   #10
Out to Lunch

I just extended my pro account for two years for $ 99.98. A good deal.

Old 01-22-2020   #11
jarski

There was news few weeks back Flickr struggling to stop loosing money, so am not surprised by this news.

Old 01-22-2020   #12
nickthetasmaniac

Probably obvious, but the prices are in USD, even if you’re registered as a user from elsewhere. This isn’t made clear until you get to the final payment portal.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 01-22-2020   #13
Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
There was news few weeks back Flickr struggling to stop loosing money, so am not surprised by this news.
Apparently from the CEO's letter to the user-base. I think he is well known for being very blunt in public communication. At some point I think bluntness is necessary, I would rather have it over the illusion of success until total failure (which is all too common in the US tech industry).

Old 01-22-2020   #14
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I think flickr's problem is the membership costs more than most people are willing to pay (this is a slightly different problem than it costing too much). They know this. That's why they had the "sale" at the end of the year to get more people to sign up. I'm going to bet they've done their research, and guess that maybe they found that even if a lower price attracts more people to the site, it may not attract enough more people to the site to make the lower price sustainable. Unfortunately, it may turn out that there is no "sweet spot" for pricing flickr's services.

Old 01-22-2020   #15
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Looked around, Flickr seems to still do what I want, plus how and the hell do you get you photos transferred to another service anyway? So...I just upped the ante.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-22-2020   #16
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I think flickr's problem is the membership costs more than most people are willing to pay (this is a slightly different problem than it costing too much).

Yes …. It`s a high price to pay just so you can post the odd picture to another forum .
I prefer the content on Insta these days.

First time in years I`m reviewing my continuing membership of Flickr.

Old 01-23-2020   #17
Ricoh

I'm wondering if freebie membership will continue for those willing to maintain up to, but not exceeding, 1000 images. A few months back I culled quite a few, and could cull quite a few more if honest with myself. I still have copies on my hard drive, and a backup copy, so no big loss.

Old 01-23-2020   #18
Out to Lunch

Freebie memberships bring in advertising income. I suppose that the new Flickr owners are trying to figure out which subscribed/freebie mix yields the best sustainable income.

Old 01-23-2020   #19
farlymac
PF McFarland

I saw the blue line request at the top of the page the first day of the renewal campaign, but was going to ignore it due to budgetary concerns. Then I got the e-mail request, spelling out the terms, that even though it was a bit early, it would be added to the end of the current subscription. So I figured I'd go for another year and clicked on the "Click here to extend your subscription term now" link.

So, instead of getting the choice of length of extension (1 or 2 years) all I saw was a button for 2 years. "My, how quaintly devious" I thought to myself. A knee jerk reaction would have been to try to find a way to get a message to Smugmug about what a crass bunch of kapitalists they were (spelling intentional), but I knew it was futile to complain, so I went ahead and pushed the Renew button. I "saved" about twenty dollars, but it was almost fifty more than I wanted to spend right now.

I guess it looks good to their board of directors if they can show more folks renewing for two years, but in the long run that is one year they won't be able to gain anything from an inevitable future increase. So next year will I get another request to "extend" my subscription at the higher locked-in rate of $59.99/1yr instead of whatever the new rate will be? And then tricked into another two years? What do they gain by that? Because by then I just might be of the mind that I could care less if all my photo work disappears from the ether.

Flickr is a good thing, and I'm not disparaging the site at all, feeling that it is worth what I have to pay for it. But playing around with the membership numbers is going to get them in deeper problems further down the line.

PF

Old 01-23-2020   #20
Hogarth Ferguson

I will continue to pay for flickr as long as it exists. I'm taking an optimistic view of its future, doing so in the current climate online is becoming increasingly difficult.

Old 01-24-2020   #21
chasfreeland

Following this conversation, while not yet a Flickr member, I visited the page describing the virtues of the 'Pro' member plan. ($5.99 per mo.) Does anyone take advantage of Flickr's special offers that come with the 'Pro' account? The long Flickr new subscriber page promises discounts and special deals on everything from camera bags to services for photo editing and printing. But is this just a way of advertising even while promising that a 'Pro' account will eliminate all advertising? Anyone take the bait? From the general enthusiasm I detect in this thread's correspondents for all things Flickr, I would guess the extras are worth it, if you are indeed a 'pro'. Comments?

Old 01-24-2020   #22
brbo

I never used a single pro "perk", useless to me.

I will probably bite the bullet and extend the membership for another two years. But this may be the last time. If in first year they don't add a proper "pro" feature (like support for non-lossy image format or at least better lossy compression formats) then I'm spending the second year finding the alternative for online backup and occasional sharing of images.

Old 01-24-2020   #23
Tim Gray

I did extend my account by 2 years. As it had just renewed already the week before, I locked in the lower price until January 2023.

Old 01-24-2020   #24
olifaunt

I have a free account for a portfolio of less than 100 images. I add maybe a couple of images a month and cull some too. I find the moderated groups very useful; some are absolutely excellent, and I get to learn a lot from a number of photographers I follow who are geniuses. I don't need any pro features, but it is in any case very difficult to justify paying for a site that never fixes its long-running technical problems, which are many.

Also, I am poor; don't come begging me for money when you are a tech millionaire. That is just tacky and left a very bad taste in my mouth on the current CEO.

Old 01-24-2020   #25
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
As they no longer support my logging in with any of my email addresses I guess I can tick another thing off on my “quit wasting time online” list.

Same here; I've spent the whole morning trying to log in but it seems something has fallen through the cracks with the split from Yahoo. Nothing works. I click on the "I forgot my password" link but they never send me anything...

Old 01-24-2020   #26
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Same here; I've spent the whole morning trying to log in but it seems something has fallen through the cracks with the split from Yahoo. Nothing works. I click on the "I forgot my password" link but they never send me anything...

What browser are you using? Flickr absolutely will not let me log in with Firefox. Turned off ad/popup blocker too. Nothing. Tells me my password is wrong. Use the exact same password in Chrome and I can log in. I don't get it.

Old 01-24-2020   #27
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
What browser are you using? Flickr absolutely will not let me log in with Firefox. Turned off ad/popup blocker too. Nothing. Tells me my password is wrong. Use the exact same password in Chrome and I can log in. I don't get it.
No longer works for me in anything other than Chrome .
Flickr management can also be contacted on Facebook

Old 01-24-2020   #28
Lewis Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfreeland View Post
Following this conversation, while not yet a Flickr member, I visited the page describing the virtues of the 'Pro' member plan. ($5.99 per mo.) Does anyone take advantage of Flickr's special offers that come with the 'Pro' account? The long Flickr new subscriber page promises discounts and special deals on everything from camera bags to services for photo editing and printing. But is this just a way of advertising even while promising that a 'Pro' account will eliminate all advertising? Anyone take the bait? From the general enthusiasm I detect in this thread's correspondents for all things Flickr, I would guess the extras are worth it, if you are indeed a 'pro'. Comments?
I already used Pixsy and have a higher level membership than Flickr Pro provides due to some testing I did for their beta. I get an Adobe license through work, don't need any new expensive bags or straps, not so interested in tutorials, but I've been meaning to take advantage of their free chapbook to see how that turns out.

I pay for Flickr because I want it to continue to be around, and for less than a fancy cup of coffee a month I went ahead and paid for that 2-year subscription w/o a second thought. If the company goes belly-up next year, well, then my money will just go to the 12 years I used Flickr before becoming a paying member.

Old 01-24-2020   #29
Lewis Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
I never used a single pro "perk", useless to me.

I will probably bite the bullet and extend the membership for another two years. But this may be the last time. If in first year they don't add a proper "pro" feature (like support for non-lossy image format or at least better lossy compression formats) then I'm spending the second year finding the alternative for online backup and occasional sharing of images.
I'm pretty sure the original upload isn't recompressed -- or do you mean for all the various viewable web sizes?

Old 01-24-2020   #30
Archiver

I'll be renewing my membership next week, assuming the discounted price is still on offer. I've been pretty happy with flickr and how everything is set up, including groups, discussion, interaction with other users. I've made a few friends through flickr and I plan to keep using it until it croaks. Hopefully, by that time there will be a suitable alternative.

Old 01-24-2020   #31
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Francis View Post
I'm pretty sure the original upload isn't recompressed -- or do you mean for all the various viewable web sizes?
Supported file types

JPEG.
PNG.
GIF (non-animated).
All other formats will be converted to JPEG.

Upload limitations

RAW photos are not supported at this time.
Each photo can be up to 200 MB.
Images can be no more than 31.25 times wider than they are tall.

No non-lossy format. No format with more than 8bit per channel.

Old 01-25-2020   #32
Lewis Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Supported file types

JPEG.
PNG.
GIF (non-animated).
All other formats will be converted to JPEG.

Upload limitations

RAW photos are not supported at this time.
Each photo can be up to 200 MB.
Images can be no more than 31.25 times wider than they are tall.

No non-lossy format. No format with more than 8bit per channel.
Ah gotcha. PNG is non-lossy but is still 8-bits per channel -- I thought you were concerned that uploads were stepped-on or wishing for something like WebP. Thanks for the clarification. Have you found any photo sharing service that support TIFF uploads and storage other than backup services?