Processing time during lockdown
Old 1 Day Ago   #1
John Bragg

Processing time during lockdown

Hi all, what are you doing to pass the time during the enforced house confinement that we are facing? I am using the time to catch up with a small backlog of exposed film and make some new images of my young daughter. My usual favorite recipe is HP5+ @ ei200 and my soup du jour is usually HC110 dilution H. I have decided to experiment a little and have just developed a roll in Ilfosol 3 with minimal agitation. Ilford advise a starting point developing time of 5 mins @ 20C with "normal" agitation and I have taken a swag (scientific wild assed guess) at 6 minutes with initial agitation of 15 seconds and 2 invertions at 2 mins and 2 more at 4 mins. My previous experience of Ilfosol pointed to it being good for long scale subjects and I have tried to exploit this trait as well as its sharpness, being a non solvent developer. So far so good it seems, as the first roll is hanging up drying and it appears to the Mk1eyeball to have plenty of shadow detail and very well separated highlights. I am now in a state of anticipation and will be warming up the film scanner as soon as I can. I will be happy if I am in the ball park and a slight tweek may or may not be nescessary, but these negatives look well nigh spot on. Fingers crossed and I will post some examples here as soon as I can.

Old 1 Day Ago   #2
charjohncarter

Be sure and post them. I'm going through a backlog of old (and I mean old) negatives, and slides. Also I'm doing some maintenance on some less used cameras and other photo equipment.

Here is a digital photo with flash for what I've been seeing for the last couple of weeks.

Stay-at-Home bounce flash fill by John Carter, on Flickr

Also, I haven't opened my suspect bottle of NEW HC-110 yet. But I'm going to use it as I've paid for it and I can't go to the photo shop to return it. So I'm hoping it will be fine. If not I'll try something else. I should be upset about the crystals in the bottle I bought, but I guess I'm not upset at all. If there is a problem I'll just say there are worst things going on now so why worry about a developer.

The picture above is one of my daughter's growing up room. She liked it this way and I don't have the heart to change it. Her room reminds me of her. John, you will have something like this happen to you when your girl grows up and leaves home. Cheers, stay safe and enjoy your family during the 'shut down.'

Old 1 Day Ago   #3
John Bragg

Thankyou for your kind thoughts John. My 2 year hiatus has left me with a fresh mind and eager to get stuck in. My littleun is eager to know about Daddy's magic camera and I am all too pleased to show her in small bites. She already knows that Dad's cameras don't make photos instantaneously and he has to do Magic to make them appear. She saw a negative for the first time today and I explained that the magic happens when we shine a light through those little windows. It may seem crazy going to Ilfosol 3 from HC110, but I found the old Ilfosol S to be very good image wise, with great tonality and sharpness as good as it gets, as long as you don't let it get old, or it will fail. The newer iteration has allegedly fixed that and seems at first sight to be as good or better than the original. I didn't have a clue about minimal agitation when I last used it, but now I feel able to get more out of it..
Cheers John. Be well and stay safe

Old 1 Day Ago   #4
charjohncarter

This is the best time of your life, so enjoy it. Yes, a couple of years ago I took a picture of a mother and daughter that I sometimes walk with on their way to school. The girl wanted to see the picture right then. She didn't believe me when I said it isn't that kind of camera.

Not my best focus:

Tmax 100 at 50-HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 1 Day Ago   #5
robert blu
quiet photographer

It's a good use of this time. Waiting for the photos now

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 1 Day Ago   #6
John Bragg

Currently, I am going right back to basics with my OM1n and 85 f2 and 50 f1.8 Zuickos. Good enough for Jane Bown and good enough for me. That is possibly my favorite 35mm and I have 2 of them. Very quick and discrete.

Old 1 Day Ago   #7
charjohncarter

Nothing like a small and superior camera. Olympus over the years made the best range of good cameras: everything from superior sub-compacts to easy to carry around SLRs. This is from my Olympus Stylus Infinity, which I still have and occasionally use, check the lens sharpness (onboard fill flash setting):

From my first roll of TMY-about 1997-8 by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 1 Day Ago   #8
John Bragg

Great shot John. I always preferred the Stylus Infinity to the Epic
I had far more failure to focus with the Epic and its program bias towards shooting wide open.

Old 1 Day Ago   #9
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
Currently, I am going right back to basics with my OM1n and 85 f2 and 50 f1.8 Zuickos. Good enough for Jane Bown and good enough for me.
My favourite portrait photographer. The quality of her work - with simple equipment - is a lesson to us all.

Old 1 Day Ago   #10
CharlesDAMorgan

We are allowed to have a session of exercise a day, and I have a vigorous walk over Plymouth Hoe, with fabulous views out to the Sound and the sea, and paths up and down cliffs to small coves and swimming areas - all just 15 minutes fast walk away. Everyone bar a tiny number is behaving well, but I get the occasional people photo.

I normally develop in PMK Pyro, but I wanted a bit more speed for evening photos, so did this Tmax400 at box speed in Tmax developer. It's less atmospheric than I'd like.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 1 Day Ago   #11
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
My favourite portrait photographer. The quality of her work - with simple equipment - is a lesson to us all.
Her book Faces is a favorite of mine

Old 1 Day Ago   #12
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
We are allowed to have a session of exercise a day, and I have a vigorous walk over Plymouth Hoe, with fabulous views out to the Sound and the sea, and paths up and down cliffs to small coves and swimming areas - all just 15 minutes fast walk away. Everyone bar a tiny number is behaving well, but I get the occasional people photo.

I normally develop in PMK Pyro, but I wanted a bit more speed for evening photos, so did this Tmax400 at box speed in Tmax developer. It's less atmospheric than I'd like.

Lovely luminous shot.