Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Anyone know this SLR lens? Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.5 52EN Lens
Old 01-14-2020   #1
peterm1

Anyone know this SLR lens? Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.5 52EN Lens

I have a definite soft spot for short and mid range tele lenses and just recently stumbled on an eBay ad (there are many such ads as this is a common lens) for a Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.5 52EN lens. This lens, in my case dating from the 1990's, is one in a long series of similarly spec'd macro/micro lenses by Tamron, Tokina and others which started in the manual focus era. I believe the successors to the lens are still going strong - though much more expensive than the $100 I paid for my slightly older one.

Pentax Forums rates the lens very highly with 9.5 score for sharpness and it is also acknowledged as having very nice bokeh - something my so far limited tests tend to confirm. In terms of build quality I am pleasantly surprised. It has a sold feel to it and its body seems to be more or less on par with Nikkors of that era - being built from high-grade polycarbonate. It focuses very quickly and accurately, as fast if not faster than the Micro Nikkor AF D 105mm f2.8 if my memory serves me correctly. (I no longer own this lens but had one in years past). Its focus system is also quieter than I had anticipated. Maybe my expectations were too low. Though its look screams "1990's" I do not mind this appearance having several Nikkors dating to that time. The later Tamron lenses of this sort are not especially handsome in any event. I suppose its lens coatings are not quite up to par though.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userrev...o-12-52ep.html

I will post some images but as the lens only arrived yesterday afternoon I have not yet had the chance to process and upload any.

But I would be interested in knowing if others have experience with the lens or more knowledge about it and this series of lenses in general. I do not believe I have ever bought a Tamron lens previously so am a virgin in this space.

PS I am not interested in macro photography and intend using this as a normal short tele lens.