Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Buying Film Cameras Singapore?
Old 10-08-2019   #1
Colin G.

Buying Film Cameras Singapore?

Any advice on where to buy film cameras in Singapore? Particularly medium format cameras? Particularly good shops that may or may not come up online?

Will be heading there in a few days. Black Market Camera sounds like an entertaining experience (check their reviews). If I was a masochist that would be my first stop.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2019   #2
craygc

There are second hand shops in Peninsula Plaza on North Bridge Rd (City Hall MRT station) and across the road on the other side of Peninsula Plaza - Coleman St - in Peninsula Shopping Centre. However, I lived in Singapore for over 17 years (last there in 2017) and I have never bought a second hand camera in the country; the range is limited and the prices are well above international prices) but it's an interesting browse.

Old 10-09-2019   #3
shorelineae

There is a good shop called Riceball. I bought a 35mm camera there last year. Talk to Jeff. They also have a very active Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/RiceballPhotoBook/

Also, in the same shopping centre that they're located in, there are a couple of other shops with large collections. (I'm afraid I don't recall if I saw medium format cameras, or not).

Old 10-09-2019   #4
Out to Lunch

I visited Singapore between 89 and 92, when it was a camera shopping paradise. Not so today. I had a look around a few months ago and the prices for new and second hand cameras were high.

Old 10-09-2019   #5
ozmoose

Prices in Singapore for cameras whether new or secondhand are no longer cheap. Don't go out with the expectation of finding the bargain of a lifetime.

My advice would be to know beforehand what camera you are looking for and buy only if you find one that suits you. Condition and cosmetics are everything!

This said, drop in at Camera Hospital, 91 Bencoolen Street (Sunshine Plaza) in the city-center. See the truly amazing double window full of old cameras - owner Steven Lee appears to have cornered the local market on Rollei TLRs among many other 'oldies' - and while I've never bought a camera from him, several friends have and they all recommend him very highly as a seller of top quality gear.

I've always found him to be a genial, pleasant and informative source of good advice on what ails your camera.

Steven is highly recommended by many Singaporeans for any camera repairs you may need. Fast and reliable service, and he will often do the work for you in 1-2 days or even on the spot (depending on what ails your beast) if you are short on time.

Check out Steven's web site, www.camerahospital.com.

Old 10-09-2019   #6
glchua

Iím a Singaporean. I had not bought a single film camera from the shops here. I buy my stuffs through the local forums and online marketplace.

However, the shops at Penisula are worth a visit, Riceball, Camera Hospital as mentioned and some others. However, I donít see any advantage for you to buy a used item in Singapore vs international online marketplace as you wouldnít enjoy any warranty or return policy.

Old 10-09-2019   #7
Out to Lunch

Hi ozmoose, thanks for the link to www.camerahospital.com. It looks very interesting! I have some stuff I'd like to clean and repair and I'll contact the owner.

Old 10-10-2019   #8
Colin G.

Thanks for the info. I'm expecting that prices will be higher, like most things in Singapore, but if the cameras/lens are high quality, or recently serviced, I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm looking for a Minolta Autocord and/or a Pentax 105mm 2.4 for my 67. I'll be sure to check out Peninsula, Riceball and Camera Hospital.

Old 10-10-2019   #9
yossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post
There are second hand shops in Peninsula Plaza on North Bridge Rd (City Hall MRT station) and across the road on the other side of Peninsula Plaza - Coleman St - in Peninsula Shopping Centre. However, I lived in Singapore for over 17 years (last there in 2017) and I have never bought a second hand camera in the country; the range is limited and the prices are well above international prices) but it's an interesting browse.
What craygc said is still true today. By the way, I am a Singaporean. A local.

Riceball - selling mostly new Voigtlander lenses, and used Leica stuff (on consignment) at high price.

Camera Hospital - you would not find high quality used MF stuff there. Steven is friendly but that's about it. His camera repair skill is just so-so.

There are a few other second hand camera shops opposite Peninsula Shopping Center. No good MF selection and prices are generally high (close to what you see at eBay.)