what is happenig in my scanner
Old 01-17-2008   #1
xavi

what is happenig in my scanner

Hi,
I'm traying to scann my slides with a "new" scanner, Dimage Elite 5400 II, but in the imeges appears this strange colors that you can see, specially in the dark parts.
Any suggestion?. Is the scanner broken or it's any problem with the software?
thank's a lot
best regards
xavi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borregos2.jpg (288.8 KB, 52 views)

Old 01-17-2008   #2
foto_fool

Don't think it is a scanner problem. It just looks to me like you need to pull back the contrast a lot, and balance highlights/midtones and RGB a little. What software?

Old 01-17-2008   #3
xavi

Thank's for your opinion john
i'm using it's own software, the dimage scan elite 5400 II, without any modification in the levels, just as it appears in the "easy scann" option.
regards

Old 01-17-2008   #4
aad
Not so new now.

Looks like a good start-bring the image into Photoshop or Elements, youcould just try auto-color correction, should straighten it right out. My experience with 3rd party software and Minolta scanners indicated I was wasting a lot of time.

If you're scanning a whole lot, you can try some of the color correction tools in the Minolta software so you don't have to edit each one.

Old 01-17-2008   #5
foto_fool

xavi - I have never used the Minolta software so I can't comment on how to adjust the settings, but AFAIK all film scanner packages have tools for these adjustments. You probably have the option of some sort of "professional" or "advanced" mode instead of "easy scan".

I'm using an old version of PS (ver. 6) and hate the auto-levels for color - it gives me weird results every time. I always tweak color settings before the scan (i'm using Silversast Ai or EpsonScan). Auto-contrast works better in PS but I still try to get the contrast close to perfect on the preview before the final scan.