What about Zeiss ZM 2/35?
Old 07-08-2007   #1
xavi

What about Zeiss ZM 2/35?

I'm a owner of a M4, and i'm looking for a 35 mm. lens.
Is the Biogon 2/35, by Zeiss, a good option?. What about the "bouque"?.
Is it a good choice?.
Thanks...

Old 07-08-2007   #2
colinh

The general consensus is that it's an excellent lens.

Mine doesn't smell of anything in particular.

colin

Old 07-08-2007   #3
Ronald M

People are quite pleased with all the new Zeiss M lenses.

They are different than the 1970 lenses for the M4, so if you are expecting a match with other lenses you have, they will not. It will be sharper, clearer, less flare, and have more contrast.

The newest Leica glass is even more extreme.

Old 07-08-2007   #4
Monz
Monz

I recently bought a used 35mm Biogon. It is a fine lens with nice contrast and sharpness. Here are some examples...

New playmate
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=65707&ppuser=1882

The Reader
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=65172&ppuser=1882

Shared brolly
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=65461&ppuser=1882

Law of Turds?
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=65171&ppuser=1882

Chini Phan
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=65863&cat=all&limit=last7

All the best.

--
Monz

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Last edited by Monz : 07-08-2007 at 04:31.

Old 07-08-2007   #5
Damaso
Photojournalist

Great pics Monz, I may have to pick up this lens to go with my M whatever I end up getting...

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5

Old 07-08-2007   #6
venchka

Just buy it. I think our sponsor Tony Rose at popflash.photo (click link on this page) has them for a good price.

If you hate the lens, list it for sale here. It will sell in minutes. Maybe seconds.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 07-08-2007   #7
thomasw_

are you looking for a great, wide-ish street shooting lens? the biogons are all excellent in my view, the 28/2.8 is basically welded to my M2 these days. if you are looking for a street lens, and you already have a 5 cm FL lens, I would suggest you look at the 25 or 28 biogons to see whether the little extra width in the FOV might not help you to compose the "stories" better in your street shots than a 35 does. i think the ideal street lens twosome is the 50 and 28 combo, with the 28 being a great lens for capturing a whole lot of a scene's 'plot'; the 50 being more of an in depth, precise look.

the zm lenses are a great value, no matter which one you end up choosing.

have heaps of fun choosing!

thomas

Old 07-08-2007   #8
xavi

great pics monz...
i've decide to buy that lens. I own a contax G2 and i'm pleased with that lens. So, i my M4, the Zeiss lens will "run" fine, sure.
thank's again men...

Old 07-08-2007   #9
x-ray

The Biogon 35 isn't just a great value it's the finest in performance in my book including the new asph summicron.

Old 07-08-2007   #10
Turtle

there are loads of threads on this lens. do a quick search and you will find hundreds of comments in this forum. And yes, it is a great lens.

Old 07-08-2007   #11
Doug

I like my antique 35 Summicron, but the 35 Biogon-ZM is a very special lens... Here the young man in the metal-fabrication shop shows off the custom bracket he made for me to mount a flat-panel TV to the end of a bookcase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 070301-22big.jpg (147.7 KB, 88 views)

Old 07-09-2007   #12
Avotius
Some guy

in todays market you cant go wrong, pretty much. That said I would highly recommend the biogon or leica 35 summicron asph. Both fine lenses but with a different taste for the masses.

Old 07-09-2007   #13
Monz
Monz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaso
Great pics Monz, I may have to pick up this lens to go with my M whatever I end up getting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi
great pics monz...
i've decide to buy that lens. I own a contax G2 and i'm pleased with that lens. So, i my M4, the Zeiss lens will "run" fine, sure.
thank's again men...

Thanks Damaso and xavi. You won't be disappointed with this lens.

--
Monz

My Top 10

Flickr Gallery

Old 07-09-2007   #14
sgy1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray
The Biogon 35 isn't just a great value it's the finest in performance in my book including the new asph summicron.
Everyone has their own opinion, and if you've used them both you would be in a position to know, but I've read more then one reviewer say that the Biogon is equivalent to the 4th version 35mm summicron, but the ASPH model is slightly better wide open. But I'm really commenting on three lenses of very high quality. If I did not already have Leica lenses, then I would opt for the Zeiss lenses given their high optical quality and value.

Old 07-09-2007   #15
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgy1962
Everyone has their own opinion, and if you've used them both you would be in a position to know, but I've read more then one reviewer say that the Biogon is equivalent to the 4th version 35mm summicron, but the ASPH model is slightly better wide open. But I'm really commenting on three lenses of very high quality. If I did not already have Leica lenses, then I would opt for the Zeiss lenses given their high optical quality and value.

I own both the asph and Zeiss and shot the v4 35 for quite a few years but sold my v4 summicron 35 after getting the Zeiss. The Zeiss is a superior lens to the v4 and also sharper wide open compared to the asph. The asph suffers from noticably more flare than the Zeiss also. I also feel the Zeiss is more pleasant compared to the asph in rendering an image. I describe the Zeiss as organic and the asph as inorganic if that means anything. All three are very good lenses as you say and each of us do have our personal preferences.

I don't know what reviews you've read but I don't find this to be true at all.

Old 07-09-2007   #16
the_jim

I've had the Biogon since Christmas and have used it quite a bit. It's a very good lens in terms of sharpness, size (the summicron is too small for my hands), flare resistance, color rendering, build quality, and price.

That being said, it's just kind of a 'meh' lens for me. It's technically good, but a little lacking in character.

This is only my opinion, though.

For B/W work it's too contrasty for the developer I use, so the success rate of my shots is affected. I do occasionally get lucky.

Also, the OOF rendering is pretty hit and miss. I find its wide open performance good for some situations.

and pretty garbage for others (I hate the doubled lines).

Also, lights in the background take on very oblong shape with a distracting hard ring around the edge.

To my eye, the best 35mm I've used is the Nikkor f/1.4 Ai-S for Nikon F-mount. It's super sharp, the OOF areas are smooooth, and it has this amazing 3-D effect that really makes the in-focus parts jump out of the background.

I don't think this was very helpful, but in summary, the Biogon is good, but a little dull.

That's just my opinion and I could understand if people thought otherwise.

Old 07-09-2007   #17
rich815

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jim
I've had the Biogon since Christmas and have used it quite a bit. It's a very good lens in terms of sharpness, size (the summicron is too small for my hands), flare resistance, color rendering, build quality, and price.

That being said, it's just kind of a 'meh' lens for me. It's technically good, but a little lacking in character.

This is only my opinion, though.

That's just my opinion and I could understand if people thought otherwise.
Wow, it just goes to show....

Those first two show the EXACT kind of character I love in B&W work. I just got the 35/1.2 Nokton used for a very nice price that was hard to pass up (plus the seller let me use it for a week or so first, and I liked what I saw). But now you've got me really thinking how wonderful that 35/2 Biogon is.....

Old 07-09-2007   #18
the_jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815
Wow, it just goes to show....

Those first two show the EXACT kind of character I love in B&W work. I just got the 35/1.2 Nokton used for a very nice price that was hard to pass up (plus the seller let me use it for a week or so first, and I liked what I saw). But now you've got me really thinking how wonderful that 35/2 Biogon is.....
When I bought the Biogon I was really debating between three lensesb (which luckily, the store had in-stock so I could handle them): the 35/1.2, Biogon, and 35/2.5 Color-Skopar.

The 35/2.5 was dirt cheap, but waaaayyyyy too small for my hands.

The Biogon was the perfect size, but more spendy.

The Nokton was a little too big and even more spendy.

In hind sight, I wish I would've choosen the Nokton. All the images I have seen from it on the interweb give a look that is much more like the Nikkor 35/1.4.

As soon as I get a job again and move out of my girlfriend's parents house (God, my life sucks right now), I will get a Nokton.

Old 07-09-2007   #19
rich815

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jim

The Nokton was a little too big.......

In hind sight, I wish I would've choosen the Nokton. All the images I have seen from it on the interweb give a look that is much more like the Nikkor 35/1.4.

As soon as I get a job again and move out of my girlfriend's parents house (God, my life sucks right now), I will get a Nokton.
For a RF lens, yes, it is big and bulky. Compared to my 85/1.4 Planar for my Contax SLR or pretty much any SLR fast lens it's about the same or smaller.

I find it surprisingly decently balance and weight on my MP. Would I prefer a smaller and lighter lens? Of course! Until I need the 1.2 that is....

Old 07-09-2007   #20
sgy1962

Quote:
I own both the asph and Zeiss and shot the v4 35 for quite a few years but sold my v4 summicron 35 after getting the Zeiss. The Zeiss is a superior lens to the v4 and also sharper wide open compared to the asph. The asph suffers from noticably more flare than the Zeiss also. I also feel the Zeiss is more pleasant compared to the asph in rendering an image. I describe the Zeiss as organic and the asph as inorganic if that means anything. All three are very good lenses as you say and each of us do have our personal preferences.

I don't know what reviews you've read but I don't find this to be true at all.
That is indeed a very strong indorsement of the Zeiss. One reviewer that comes to mind is Erwin Putts, but I can understand his objectivity can be questioned. And although I may be mistaken, Sean Reid, if my memory serves me correctly, reached the same conclusion on a digital platform. And then there was just a bunch of anedotal evidence from users when these lenses came out.

But I realize all reviewers are interpreting and interpretations are colored by many things.

I've just never heard anyone claim that the Biogon was noticeably superior to the ASPH Summicron. And I thought flare suppression was a strong point of the Leica lens, at least over its predecessor.

Anyway, if you're correct, cudos to Zeiss, because that lens is half the price. I just have never heard the claim before.

Old 07-09-2007   #21
the_jim

Here is a pretty good review.

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

I say that it is good, because the translation is difficult to understand, so I just skip opinion and study the sample images.

Some interweb reviews are geared towards Leica users who want to hear that their lenses are made of German fairy magic.

Germany makes great products. Japan makes great products. So does Thailand, the UK, US, and so on.

A few people on this board (like every other BB I have ever been a part of), speak in hearsay and conjecture and offer little proof.

Bottom line is: use your eyes and only believe half of what you hear (sometimes less).

Sorry if this got a little off topic.

Last edited by the_jim : 07-09-2007 at 10:39.

Old 07-09-2007   #22
x-ray

There's not an extreme difference in the Biogon and the asph but it is there. Both are great and I shoot with both but favor the tonality of the Biogon. In my view the Biogon is just has a slightly smoother tonality and much better in flare resistance. I'm actually a little disappointed in the asph in terms of flare. The asph I have is the retro version with the round hood. With the round hood flare was killing me under tough lighting. I purchased the standars rectangular hood and have had no big problems since. As to the Biogon I have shot with the sun hitting the front element and have been unable to get any appreciable degree of flare. Under real world shooting I don't think many of us will know much difference in the two lenses. Lenses including CV are so darn good now there isn't really that much difference. If you're not getting the results from any of the modern glass you can generally gigure it's you and not the lens. As to the contrast of the Biogon I agree it's a clean looking image with great contrast. I only shoot B&W and have no problems at all. My standard film / developer combo and times are the same with all my lenses. I see no reason to adjust for any particular lens.

Old 07-09-2007   #23
sgy1962

Quote:
There's not an extreme difference in the Biogon and the asph but it is there. Both are great and I shoot with both but favor the tonality of the Biogon. In my view the Biogon is just has a slightly smoother tonality and much better in flare resistance. I'm actually a little disappointed in the asph in terms of flare. The asph I have is the retro version with the round hood. With the round hood flare was killing me under tough lighting. I purchased the standars rectangular hood and have had no big problems since. As to the Biogon I have shot with the sun hitting the front element and have been unable to get any appreciable degree of flare. Under real world shooting I don't think many of us will know much difference in the two lenses. Lenses including CV are so darn good now there isn't really that much difference. If you're not getting the results from any of the modern glass you can generally gigure it's you and not the lens. As to the contrast of the Biogon I agree it's a clean looking image with great contrast. I only shoot B&W and have no problems at all. My standard film / developer combo and times are the same with all my lenses. I see no reason to adjust for any particular lens.
Now I have heard that before about the Biogon having smoother tonality and great for B&W, and the Leica lenses being a little more crisp. I must admit I've always enjoyed the B&W images taken by this Zeiss lens.

Can't go wrong with the 35mm Zeiss Biogon
Old 07-09-2007   #24
JJW

Can't go wrong with the 35mm Zeiss Biogon

It's an excellent piece of glass!