Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

G2 ramblings
Old 05-27-2007   #1
akptc
Shoot first, think later

G2 ramblings

Went out fishing with my daughter earlier today and decided to finish a roll of slide film in my G2. And once again I was in pure awe of the G2’s operation and the perfect (to my eyes) viewfinder. With the focus lock and exposure lock, lightning fast autofocus, framing and shooting this gorgeous beast was such a pleasure I now cannot remember why on earth I haven’t used it more lately.

Just yesterday I was at a local theatre show with the kids, taking pics of the action on the not-so-well lit stage with the R-D1 and a couple of Hexanon lenses. It was all a lot of fun but my eyes literally hurt after focusing the 20-30 shots I took. I guess that’s one reason I simply love the G2.

But what I continue to fail to see is folks’ complaints about the viewfinder. I find it simply perfect…

Ok, so no real point to this, just wanted to share my renewed excitement about the G2. Will be probably buying more G2 stuff pretty soon, GAS burns eternal…

Old 05-27-2007   #2
harmsr
M5 Nut

Hey Andy,

That G2 of yours is nice. Absolutely no reason not to enjoy it so much.

Best,

Ray

Old 05-27-2007   #3
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Thanks Ray! Of course, every time I see a razor-sharp M8 image ready to print a moment after it was taken, my heart skips just a bit ...

Old 05-28-2007   #4
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by akptc
Thanks Ray! Of course, every time I see a razor-sharp M8 image ready to print a moment after it was taken, my heart skips just a bit ...
Ready to print a moment after being taken... must be a very good digital camera!

Old 05-28-2007   #5
Olsen

The Contax G2 is simply one of the best 135-system cameras ever made, - with an awesome range of very good Carl Zeiss optics.

Old 05-28-2007   #6
icemendicant

I agree, it's a beautiful camera. I sold one last year and regretted it so much that I have just bought another, with 28mm and 45mm lenses. It's great to have a G2 back in my camera bag!

Best regards,

Dan

RF: Bronica RF645, Mamiya 7ii, Leica MP3, Contax G2, Fujifilm TX-2, GW & GSW690III
Non-RF: Contax 645, Nikon F3, F4, Mamiya C330s, Canon S95

Blog - Facebook - Flickr

Old 05-28-2007   #7
clintock
Galleryless Gearhead

I only have the G1- the finder is good, but not the easiest to get lined up with my eye..
However, to really have a bessa Rxx lined up so the rangefinder patch is visible and the
meter indication can be seen may be just as hard.
Is the G2 finder much different than the one on the G1? Please say no, so I don't start searching..

Old 05-29-2007   #8
uhligfd

No problems with lining up or seeing whole viewfinder for me on the G2. I wear glassses - far-sighted.

And since there is nothing to match visually, but one only has to aim the center patch for desired focus spot, it is so easy.

Old 05-30-2007   #9
icemendicant

Do a search on eBay for 'contax g new helix' and you should get the list of products at Helix photography where I bought my G2 last month. As I recall they had another new G2 in stock, which might still be there. They were very pleasant to deal with and the camera was absolutely new and not an ex-demo model.

Best regards,

Dan

RF: Bronica RF645, Mamiya 7ii, Leica MP3, Contax G2, Fujifilm TX-2, GW & GSW690III
Non-RF: Contax 645, Nikon F3, F4, Mamiya C330s, Canon S95

Blog - Facebook - Flickr

Old 05-31-2007   #10
jaap
Jaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by akptc

But what I continue to fail to see is folks’ complaints about the viewfinder. I find it simply perfect…

Ok, so no real point to this, just wanted to share my renewed excitement about the G2. Will be probably buying more G2 stuff pretty soon, GAS burns eternal…
I fully agree this time !

Traditional darkroom printer

Old 05-31-2007   #11
sepiareverb
genius and moron

My disregard for the vf has to do with the 90% coverage with black edges. While it is perfectly bright, being a zoom finder it seems there is no need to have made it less than 100%. A simple tab on the lens mount zooms the vf to the appropriate view, so if that tab had been altered in size the VF image could be closer to 100%. I'm in search of a cheap 45 lens to try some modifications on the mount.

Old 06-05-2007   #12
xavi

hy
i'm a owner of Contax G2 with 28/35/45/90 lens and i don't know any better camera for street photography. I've got a M4 too. It's nice to shoot it, but not better. And the difference of the lens doesn't exist. I love both....

Old 06-08-2007   #13
harmsr
M5 Nut

Hey Andy,

I'm going to blame you for this iteration of GAS!!!!!!!!!!

I was at Tempe camera today talking to Joe, as my iiif needed an RF tweek. Well guess what, they still had a NOS G2, 45, TLA200 which they gave me at a VERY GOOD price.

This one is to be blamed on you, my friend.

Ever since you let me try yours out, there has been this nagging in the back of my mind.

The ZI has been sold, but I still have the M5 & iiif for film. The ZI was nice, but I'm rather attached to the M5.

So, I was looking for something like the G2 which I can really shoot manually very easy or I can almost use it as a Point & Shoot except with great glass.

We should get together soon, and get them out for some film consumption.

Ray

Old 06-08-2007   #14
akptc
Shoot first, think later

Congratulations Ray! I can't say I feel guilty but will happily take some responsibility for steering you onto the G2 path I've been shooting slides like crazy with it and can hardly every find a poorly exposed one. I'd suggest putting in some Kodak E100GX - the scans come out just glowing.

I'd love to get together, last week of June looks really good right now.

Happy shooting!

Andy

Old 06-08-2007   #15
harmsr
M5 Nut

The last week of June works for me.

Ray