my firts post. How to clean my m4
Old 05-09-2007   #1
xavi

my firts post. How to clean my m4

Hy. This is my first post at all. I'm from spain, so sorry for my english.
I'm a new owner of a M4. I just received it yesterday from Ebay seller. It's in quite good condicion, with marcs in the top due to the leica lightmeter. I'd like to clean the body, both, the chrome and black parts. What can i use to do that???.
The lens, a summicron 50, is with fungus, It will affect to the pictures???. I use to shot slides.
Thank's and best regards from spain.

Old 05-10-2007   #2
ChrisN
Striving

Hi Xavi - welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about your english - it's fine!

I also have an M4 and love it. The black parts are a hard rubber compound called Vulcanite. One of the best things to clean it is locally sold as "Johnsons Baby Oil". For the metal I would try a very light application of a fine metal polish, or perhaps one of those special cloths that jewellers sell for polishing silver. Be careful near the viewfinder glass.

Also see this site http://nemeng.com/leica/ndx_m.shtml

and this page http://nemeng.com/leica/032b.shtml

Fungus will have some effect on you pictures, and should be removed as early as possible. You don't want a bad lens stored with good lenses - it might be catching!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr

Old 05-10-2007   #3
xavi

thank's Chris,
i'll try it.
That webs that you proposse are usefull for a "Leica's beginer" like me. This morning i've been testing the camera and it's amazing the feeling of taking pictures with it. i'm a owner of Contax G2 since many years ago and i'm very happy with it., For me is the best solution for street photos, with very good lens. But with this Leica, full manual, taking pictures is different.
thnak's again
xavi

Old 05-11-2007   #4
existrandom

hello xavi,

i found a well-used toothbrush very helpful
cheers and enjoy your M4, i like mine very much

lee

Old 05-11-2007   #5
xavi

thank's at all
be sure i'll enjoy my "new old" camera.