Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 01-07-2020   #2601
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Monroe Township District #8 Schoolhouse is located on State Road 101, about a mile north of the small town of Monroeville, Indiana. Built in 1885, the one-room brick school it is now a private residence.

A lot of old schoolhouses in rural Indiana have been converted into homes. I photographed this one last November.

Old 01-07-2020   #2602
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
WOW Chris! What beautiful color!

Old 01-07-2020   #2603
froyd

Chris- do you use a tilt/shift lens or do you adjust the vertical lines digitally? I like the dead-on angle you often employ. It has a documentary feel, it gives dignity to most subjects, and give the impression of "honesty", but the art comes in making it look so effortless.

Old 01-07-2020   #2604
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
Chris- do you use a tilt/shift lens or do you adjust the vertical lines digitally? I like the dead-on angle you often employ. It has a documentary feel, it gives dignity to most subjects, and give the impression of "honesty", but the art comes in making it look so effortless.

I do it in Lightroom. I could never afford a shift lens, they were expensive, and most of them do not allow much shift anyway.

All of my color work for the last two years has been done with Olympus Micro 4/3 cameras (OM-D E-M1 mark II and Pen-F), and Olympus does not even make a shift lens for that system (they did for the OM 35mm system, but I never used one because it was expensive and limited in the amount of shift it gave).

Old 01-07-2020   #2605
Mark A. Fisher

Your work always brings me much joy...

Old 01-08-2020   #2606
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:

The Monroe Township District #8 Schoolhouse is located on State Road 101, about a mile north of the small town of Monroeville, Indiana. Built in 1885, the one-room brick school it is now a private residence.

A lot of old schoolhouses in rural Indiana have been converted into homes. I photographed this one last November.
The colour is special! Love it!
It must have been cold...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-08-2020   #2607
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The C. Sullivan Building is a vacant storefront building on Main Street and Stone Street in the small town of Antwerp, Ohio. The gable stone says it was built in 1898 by J. Bauer.

Mr. Bauer also built the C. J. Schneider Building in Antwerp, which I posted a photograph of a few days ago. It is located on the other side of Main Street, about half a block north of the Sullivan Building.

Old 01-14-2020   #2608
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This Christmas star was mounted on top of a garage facing north on Fourth Street between Cass Street and Wells Street in Fort Wayne. It is behind an old house on Cass Street that has been divided into apartments. I photographed it a couple of days before Christmas last year.

Old 01-15-2020   #2609
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Scout is one of the two cats at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She used to be really thin, though her long hair made her look fluffy. In the last year or so before I made this photograph of her, she began to gain weight and is now quite fat, just like the other cat who lives at the store.

Hyde Brothers is an incredible locally-owned used book store on Wells Street in Fort Wayne. As long as I can remember, they've always had at least one cat in residence.

Old 01-17-2020   #2610
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

In November last year, these men were working on removing the old shingles from the roof an old house on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The man giving the thumbs-up saw me walking by with my camera and called out asking me to take a picture of them!

This house is on the east side of Wells Street between Third Street and Fourth Street. When I photographed it the first time, back in 2010, someone lived there and there was a sign with the Ten Commandments in the front window. The house, which was in poor condition, later sat vacant for a long time. A new owner is restoring the house, with plans to open a store it.

Old 01-29-2020   #2611
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Back in November, I made this photograph of Sherlock, one of the two fatcats that live at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Sherlock spends all of his time lounging, and he gets annoyed when people pet him or take his picture!

Old 01-30-2020   #2612
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This house is on Mulberry Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana.

Hand-painted American flags made from pieces of wood are a popular decoration in Indiana. They're often displayed on fences or on garages.

Old 02-06-2020   #2613
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I found this sign on a restaurant's drive-through window amusing. A giant hand pointing down at the window, just in case the words "Drive-Thru" weren't obvious enough!

Old 02-07-2020   #2614
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This treehouse is in the backyard of a house on the corner of Main Street (US-33) and Liberty Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana.

Old 02-11-2020   #2615
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Dinamo Judo is a martial arts school on High Street in the small town of Hicksville, Ohio. The building is a former bank, built in a mid-twentieth century modernist style.

Old 02-17-2020   #2616
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This old, abandoned vending machine stands in front of a former storefront church on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It sold boxes of Hi-C fruit drink for 50 cents.

The church was called Living Faith Ministries. I photographed it last week.

Old 02-19-2020   #2617
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This building is on Cass Street, a block east of Wells Street, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The side of the building has handprints, hearts, and smiley faces painted on it, along with the slogan: "Don't Grow Weary Of Doing Good."

The building is home to Heart of The City Mission Foundation, a charity run by a local church. When I was younger, there was a pro-level photo lab called Unique Photo and a printing company called Precision Litho in the building. Unique, which was owned by Precision Litho, closed 20 years ago, and I still miss them. They were the best color film lab in the city, in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2020   #2618
Dave Jenkins
Loose Canon

In 1943 I entered first grade at the Carney School, a two-room brick building on the west side of Hartford City, probably just off Highway 26/West Water Street. It was abandoned when I last saw it in 1955. I wonder if it's still standing.

Since I live in Georgia, I probably won't check on this for myself.

My blog: alifeinphotography.blogspot.com
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. Available wherever books are sold.
My best-selling book (28,000+ copies): Rock City Barns: A Passing Era.
My web site: davidbjenkins.com

Old 02-19-2020   #2619
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins View Post
In 1943 I entered first grade at the Carney School, a two-room brick building on the west side of Hartford City, probably just off Highway 26/West Water Street. It was abandoned when I last saw it in 1955. I wonder if it's still standing.

Since I live in Georgia, I probably won't check on this for myself.

I haven't done any photography in Hartford City; I should go sometime. I just looked on Google Earth and Streetview and could not find your school, so I think its been demolished.

Old 02-20-2020   #2620
ChipMcD

Quote:

This treehouse is in the backyard of a house on the corner of Main Street (US-33) and Liberty Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana.

Man, that is deluxe. Lucky kid.

Old 02-20-2020   #2621
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMcD View Post
Man, that is deluxe. Lucky kid.

I agree. Wish I'd had something like that as a kid! My parents' yard didn't really have any suitable trees though. My dad probably would have built one if there had been a good tree for it.

Old 02-20-2020   #2622
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This house is on the corner of Mulberry Street and Washington Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana. I found it amusing that the turn arrow painted on Washington Street next to the house points directly at the house's side door.

Old 02-21-2020   #2623
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Jefferson Township Center School has been one of my favorite subjects, which I have returned to many times over the last 20 years. It is located at Besancon; a crossroads with two cemeteries, a few houses, a Catholic church, and this abandoned one-room schoolhouse on Lincoln Highway (Old US-30) in the eastern part of Allen County, Indiana.

The road actually splits to go around the front and back of the schoolhouse, which was built in 1898.

I made this photograph of the schoolhouse a couple weeks ago. Another photograph that I made of it way back in 1997 was the first photograph that I ever sold from an exhibit!

Old 02-24-2020   #2624
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This vacant storefront is located on Main Street in the small town of Hudson, Indiana.

Hudson is a very small town on the southern edge of Steuben County. It adjoins the larger town of Ashley, and the paired towns are often referred to as "Ashley-Hudson." While Ashley is still a pretty healthy town, Hudson has few functioning businesses. Most of the Main Street storefronts in Hudson are, like this one, vacant.

I photographed it a couple weeks ago.

Old 02-24-2020   #2625
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Here are two more photographs of the one-room schoolhouse at Besancon, Indiana. I made these two about a week after I made the last photo I posted of it.

Old 02-24-2020   #2626
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

At some point tourism will come here. It is getting rare to see buildings and else like these. In our town just tiny part left. But developers and town "improves" it.

Old 02-25-2020   #2627
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

My word, Chris -- you have several books' worth of great stuff in this thread. I just love these. Any local writer you could team up with (or maybe you have the text in mind already)?

Besancon -- must have been founded by French immigrants. Let us hope that schoolhouse gets a worthy tenant.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2628
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This wind turbine stands in a field on the west side of State Route 49, in rural Paulding County, Ohio. It is part of a huge wind farm stretching across two counties in northwest Ohio near the Indiana-Ohio state line.

I photographed it on a foggy morning earlier this week. The door is open, as it was being visited by a technician.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2629
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This abandoned one-room schoolhouse is on Convoy Road, between Werner Road and Mentzer Church Road, in rural Van Wert County, Ohio. It is a few miles west of the town of Convoy.

Unusually for a midwestern schoolhouse, this one was built with wood; most of them are brick buildings. The school is in bad condition, with weathered wood siding and doors and a sagging roof. The belfry is still in place on the roof, but the bell is missing.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2630
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Waynedale Bakery was a fixture in Waynedale for more than 60 years. It was founded in 1955 and closed in November, 2019. I made this photograph in January, 2020.

It was located in the A.S. Elzey Building on Lower Huntington Road, just west of Old Trail Road. The building was built in 1925, and is home to both the bakery and The Hook and Ladder Tavern.

Waynedale was founded by Abner Elzey in the 1920s, and in 1957 the residents voted to join the city of Fort Wayne. Though Waynedale has been part of Indiana's second largest city for more than 50 years (longer than it was an independent town), it still looks and feels like a small town.

I grew up in Waynedale.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2631
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Middle Point School is a former school building on the corner of Normal Street and Mason Street in the small town of Middle Point, Ohio.

The building was built in 1885, and a newer wing on one side was added in 1930. Despite its age, this is a large building with many classrooms; not a one-room schoolhouse. It was originally a "Normal School," a college that trained teachers. In 1903, the college closed and the building became a public school in 1906. It closed in the 1950s.

I made this picture back in February, 2019. Still catching up on editing my backlog of work!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2632
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

In the last few years, I have seen a lot of stop signs with graffiti that turned them into a political message.

This stop sign is near the entrance to the Northcrest Shopping Center on Coliseum Boulevard in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Someone has used the stop sign to make a political statement. Under the word "Stop" they used a black marker to write "Liberals," so that the sign now reads: "Stop Liberals"

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2633
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Chris I'm rather intrigued by the picture of the Middle Point school . You mention that it was closed in the 50's . I look at the picture and it appears to be in excellent condition , no broken windows , graffiti , how is that ? Peter

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2634
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
Chris I'm rather intrigued by the picture of the Middle Point school . You mention that it was closed in the 50's . I look at the picture and it appears to be in excellent condition , no broken windows , graffiti , how is that ? Peter

Someone probably owns it and is maintaining it. Plus, it is in a small town in the midwest. Broken windows and graffiti are rare in places like this. Everyone knows each other, so no one can get away with anything.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2635
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Someone has used the stop sign to make a political statement. Under the word "Stop" they used a black marker to write "Liberals," so that the sign now reads: "Stop Liberals"
Around here you will occasionally see a large "Trump" sticker posted directly under the "Stop", conveying a similar message. However, usually the sticker is removed very quickly as well.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2636
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Around here you will occasionally see a large "Trump" sticker posted directly under the "Stop", conveying a similar message. However, usually the sticker is removed very quickly as well.

I'm surprised I've never seen that here, too. Even though Fort Wayne is pretty solid Trump Country, there are some very vocal Trump haters here. One thing that's funny is that one of the anti-Obama signs appeared after Trump was halfway through his term. I laughed at that; Stop Obama? From doing what? He isn't doing anything to stop..he's out of office, you idiots! lol

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2637
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ Don't let facts get in the way . And thanks for your reply . Peter

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2638
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Christian Reform Fellowship is a tiny old church on the northwest corner of Doty Road and Milan Center Road, facing southeast toward the middle of the intersection, in rural Allen County, Indiana. The church is still in use, despite its dilapidated condition. The outer walls are leaning outward, as you can see in the windows on the sides of the building!

The building was originally constructed in 1906 as the Milan Center Methodist Protestant Church. That congregation closed down sometime after 1954.

The crossroads where this church is located is marked on maps as a town called Milan Center, but there is no town. Its just a crossroads with a grain elevator, the old Milan Center schoolhouse, and this church. There are no houses nearby, just farmland.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2639
tbhv55

Quote:
I laughed at that; Stop Obama? From doing what? He isn't doing anything to stop..he's out of office, you idiots! lol

Sadly, we have similar levels of stupidity on this side of the pond.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2640
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Closing time at Fort Wayne's Famous Coney Island Hot Dogs in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Workers clean the grill, which sits in the front window so that passers-by can see the hot dogs cooking through the large front windows.

Founded in 1914, Coney Island is the oldest restaurant in the city. It has been in the same downtown building on Main Street since it opened more than a century ago.