Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders

Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders Konica and Zeiss versions of the AE electronic film rangefinder camera

Old 09-22-2014   #81
kubilai

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
When the Sonnar-C 50mm f/1.5 was released the MTF graphs at full aperture looked very encouraging. They just didn't tell us that such sharpness was not available if focusing with a rangefinder (due to the focus shift debacle).
For me FTM of Sonnar-C 50mm f/1.5 full open was just discouraging.
See http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Pho...5_50_zm_en.pdf
But this lens is not designed for shooting test challenges (newspaper sheet on the wall or other). I Got one and enjoy it.

49mm is a standard for old Minolta MD amateurs.

Old 09-23-2014   #82
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubilai View Post
... 49mm is a standard for old Minolta MD amateurs.
49mm filter size is also very common with Pentax lenses, even recent ones.

Old 09-23-2014   #83
Noserider

and don't forget Olympus.

Impressive at 1.4. I can't wait to see what it looks like stopped down a bit.

Old 09-26-2014   #84
furcafe

I handled it at Photokina on the 1st day, including taking a test shot on my M 240. While it is bigger than the f/2 Biogon, it's really not unwieldy IMHO, especially if you don't have a big hood on it; handles more like a fast 50mm. Build quality was typical Zeiss ZM.

As the Zeiss rep explained it, the 35/1.4 Distagon was intended to be better than the pre-FLE 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH (e.g., by having less focus shift), albeit in a larger, more traditional design (no aspherical elements), but not as high end as the current 35 'lux ASPH (FLE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Manning View Post
Biogon 2/35: Distagon 1.4/35

43mm 49mm Filter size

68mm 87mm Length

240g 381g Weight
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 09-27-2014   #85
santela

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubilai View Post
For me FTM of Sonnar-C 50mm f/1.5 full open was just discouraging.
See http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Pho...5_50_zm_en.pdf
But this lens is not designed for shooting test challenges (newspaper sheet on the wall or other). I Got one and enjoy it.

49mm is a standard for old Minolta MD amateurs.
Same here. I have owned five different ZM lenses and this is the only one I ended up keeping. The rendering is very unique, and the small size helped as well.

Old 09-27-2014   #86
shortstop

May be it's too big?

Old 09-28-2014   #87
horosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
I
As the Zeiss rep explained it, the 35/1.4 Distagon was intended to be better than the pre-FLE 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH (e.g., by having less focus shift), albeit in a larger, more traditional design (no aspherical elements), but not as high end as the current 35 'lux ASPH (FLE).
in the end apparently they ended up with two

My Flickr

Old 09-29-2014   #88
furcafe

Though Zeiss may have altered their original design goals (from film to digital bodies?), I probably just misunderstood the rep , though his English was very good. He was impressed that I recognized that the shape of the ZM line is an homage to the old Contarex lenses.

Edit: FWIW, I've attached a web-sized crop of my test shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horosu View Post
in the end apparently they ended up with two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140916L3000032Crop.jpg (28.1 KB, 92 views)
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Last edited by furcafe : 09-29-2014 at 15:25. Reason: Photo added.

Old 09-29-2014   #89
Noserider

Yeah perhaps when the Zeiss Distagon project was started the goal was to be better than the non FLE but I think they went back to refine it; hence the delay in the announcement. That could have been the addition of the asph elements.

Old 10-06-2014   #90
skyjuice

If not mistaken, I came across a post by Zeiss via Facebook, that the Distagon 35mm 1.4 ZM lens will be made in Japan.

Old 10-08-2014   #91
kiss-o-matic

Cosina -- that's not a bad thing.

I doubt I'll get this. I have the Voigtlander 35/1.2 and I shoot under F4 like... very rarely, and even then it's only down to F2. I'm in the market for a Zeiss 35 but it's going to be between the 35/2.8 and the 35/2.

Old 10-09-2014   #92
skyjuice

Definitely not a bad thing. Looking forward for more sample pics of the ZM 35mm Distagon F/1.4.
Long time Zeiss-fan cause my first rf lens is ZM Biogon 35mm F/2. When I took the first pic using ZM 35/F2 lens+R-D1s combo I was astonished instantly. That lens convinced me to get the 21mm F/2.8 and never regret.
On a separate note, somehow the focusing ring is slightly stiff and make some funny "friction" noise. Same goes to Nokton 40mm 1.4 SC.

By the way, anyone would have a clue on whether Zeiss will come out with a reference ZM lens for M mount since they released the Otus and set the highest benchmark. Am hoping something in the pipeline.

Old 11-20-2014   #93
asiafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill_HH View Post
dang, toooo many NEW 35's to think about
35ultron... for min focus 0.5
35summarit... for aspherical glass
35zeiss ... for 1.4

i once met an elderly lady photographer on her way to ICP to develop a huge bag of film...
She stated the only focal point for her was 35 and she had five
hmmmm, beginning to understand her philosophy
Old 35 Summarit also had aspherical glass, they just didn't advertise it. The two are the same, only marketing and cosmetic differences.

Old 11-20-2014   #94
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Yikes. GDR-style size ostalgie much?

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 02-17-2015   #95
jgeenen

I got my Distagon ZM 1.4/35mm last week. Interesting - lens barrel does not move at all while focussing, the rear lens does slightly. Consequently the Distagon is a true "floating lens" design. The lens is huge but not too heavy. Works great with the M. No focus shift or other issues observed.

Aperture ring has the Zeiss typical third stop clicks, mine is a bit more pronounced than my older ZM lenses and definitely more pronounced than Leica lenses. Focussing is smooth but more tight than on any other lens I have (probably caused by the complex interior design). Although this different, it is absolutely precise and useable, once you have got used to it.

See some wide open shots:

Focus is on the wooden cross in the foreground

Vignetting typical for a lens of that aperture, negligible distortion.

My photo blog

Using Leica, Zeiss and Olympus gear

Old 02-22-2015   #96
warmduscher

Here two pictures with the Zeiss Ikon ZM and 1,4/35mm ZM @ f/8 with Ilford FP4+.
Use this lens most at my Sony A7. There is a lot of vignette by wide Aperture, because of the Sensor Stack.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1424616697
http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1424616715
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lenkerseeli2.jpg (21.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Lenkerseeli3.jpg (21.2 KB, 70 views)

Old 04-12-2015   #97
music_healing

Receive the lens 2 weeks ago ..

its lighter and smaller than I thought ..
no wobble no play

I learn that using Leica 35 1.4 Aspherical profile .. give almost no vignette with slightly neutral color

Been using it on film (havent got the time to develop those yet)

this is the sample from Leica M-E

Mimicking by William Jusuf, on Flickr

Sincerely
William Jusuf

Old 04-13-2015   #98
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Comaprison shot for size. The Nokton 35mm f1.2 vII, The Zeiss ZM Distagon 35mm f1.4 and the Ultron 35mm f1.7 in M-mount.
The size lens is surprisingly comfortable in the hand. Not that heavy and as will all of the Zeiss ZM lenses, very smooth focussing. It might not have the dramatic look of the M-Ultron 35f1.7 - but I have been impressed with the performance. No significant vignetting - at least not with film, extremely sharp at f1.4. A friend has the FLE Asph Summilux 35 and we spend and after having shot with the Distagon he exclaimed " I bought the wrong lens"!

Old 06-08-2015   #99
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

[IMG]Japan 2015 Roll #11 Yakatori row by Tokyo Station tracks. by T&T and Mr B Abrahamsson, on Flickr[/IMG]

came back from Japan a couple of weeks ago. I brought a Leica MP and the Zeiss ZM Distagon 35mm f1.4 to use as my primary lens. I wanted to "feel" it out as to size and hauling around. It is not a small lens by any means, but it is surprisingly comfortable on the camera. Even after many hours walking and using subways etc - it still did not feel too heavy or bulky.
As or performance - as good as it gets! Wide open it is quite exceptional, nice flat plane of focus, very even across the image area. no distortion - nothing really to complain about. I have tried it out against the Summilux 35f1.4 FLE - and if there is a difference, I can't spot it! No focus shift That I noticed either.
Picture is from "Yakatori Row" - a stretch of restaurants under the rail tracks leading to Tokyo Station. Probably at f2 or f2.8. Tri X in Td 201 developer.

Old 06-11-2015   #100
music_healing

have been using this lens for many purposes
including late night stroll on the street

Lady by William Jusuf, on Flickr

the lady ..
M2 and ZM35 1.4 with Neopan 400 push with Rodinal

Lovely lens this is

Sincerely
William Jusuf

Old 06-11-2015   #101
ChrisLivsey

Sand dune
Not taken it off an M2 body since I got it, love it.

ADOX CHSII 100 Harvey's 777 11mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 06-11-2015   #102
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Does anyone understand this quote from B&H? Seems like arbitrary jargon:

"Additionally, the 35mm focal length has the added benefit of subjecting the frame to minimal distortion or compression, so that proportions and elements within the image are more accurately depicted."

Old 06-19-2015   #103
eric4

Who has experience with this lens on mirrorless systems like the a7ii? Would it perform better on a m9 or 240 due to the microlenses on the sensors?

Old 07-08-2015   #104
padam

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4 View Post
Who has experience with this lens on mirrorless systems like the a7ii? Would it perform better on a m9 or 240 due to the microlenses on the sensors?
Here is a comparison

Yes, it performs way better on Leica sensors as far as the corners go until f8 or f11. But for documentary-style use, it might not be a huge problem in practice.

Old 07-08-2015   #105
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Agreed. Plus 49 mm filters? Who even has these. I'd have preferred they kept it a bit smaller and sacrificed something else performance wise, but thats just me.
It seems this is the new direction for Zeiss. All out performance, with huge size and cost (quite a departure from the original ZM lineup which are all reasonably priced).

Michael
Pentax...or Olympus. I have tons of these.

Shoot with the Nokton 50/1.5 and this 35/1.4 and you will be working with the same filters.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-20-2015   #106
warmduscher

Quote:
I published two aperture series with the 1.4/35mm Distagon ZM and the Sony A7ll on my Homepage.

http://www.matthiassommer.ch/distagon35mm.html

On the notation from the Apertures 1.4, 2.8, 5.6, 11, there are links with a full resolution JPG. The Homepage is in german.
This lense is corner sharp at Aperture 5.6 and above.

On Leica Bodies it should be sharper by lower apertures.

Old 07-20-2015   #107
uhoh7

Quote:
As said, no, not close, though it can make some nice shots in central frame.

However, with 400USD Kolari sensor mod on A7 or A7r, the lens will be very close to M240.

Old 07-30-2015   #108
warmduscher

Commuter waiting for a train.

Made with Zeiss Ikon ZM, Sonnar 1.4/35mm ZM, Ilford Delta 100 and Ilfosol 3.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1438289585
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ausserholligen2.jpg (30.0 KB, 80 views)

Old 08-04-2015   #109
jkjod

What does the view through the viewfinder look like on the M2? I'd like to know how much finder blockage we are dealing with, specifically on the M2. Thank you in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post

Sand dune
Not taken it off an M2 body since I got it, love it.

ADOX CHSII 100 Harvey's 777 11mins

Old 08-04-2015   #110
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjod View Post
What does the view through the viewfinder look like on the M2? I'd like to know how much finder blockage we are dealing with, specifically on the M2. Thank you in advance.
What other lenses have you for your M2, I can then offer a comparison which may be more useful than an description?
As a kick off though it is a bit more intrusive than the 28mm f2 Summicron and a bit less than the 21mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH, all without hoods. It is longer and 'chunkier" than either.
Perhaps a better comparison is if you use the frame selector: It does just intrude on the 50mm frame but is nowhere near the 90mm. I had to really look as, and I know this is personal, I never notice intrusions. I rarely place important subject matter bottom RHS and if I do need to see it I must just move the camera, I am not aware of it.

Old 08-04-2015   #111
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikne View Post
So is this lens made in Japan or Germany?
Japan, as on the rear of the lens barrel,and the box by Cosina.

Old 08-04-2015   #112
jkjod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
What other lenses have you for your M2, I can then offer a comparison which may be more useful than an description?
As a kick off though it is a bit more intrusive than the 28mm f2 Summicron and a bit less than the 21mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH, all without hoods. It is longer and 'chunkier" than either.
Perhaps a better comparison is if you use the frame selector: It does just intrude on the 50mm frame but is nowhere near the 90mm. I had to really look as, and I know this is personal, I never notice intrusions. I rarely place important subject matter bottom RHS and if I do need to see it I must just move the camera, I am not aware of it.
Perfect explanation thanks! I'll check it out with the frame line selector as you suggested. At the moment the only other lens I own is the ZM 21/2.8. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-04-2015   #113
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjod View Post
Perfect explanation thanks! I'll check it out with the frame line selector as you suggested. At the moment the only other lens I own is the ZM 21/2.8. Thanks for the reply.
Typical, several 21s but not that one, good lens though!

Old 08-04-2015   #114
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I purchased this lens a few months ago from B&H, and I have to say I really like it. Caveat: I like the Zeiss 'look' and I own a couple other Zeiss ZM lenses, so I've seen them as a quality alternative to Leica glass at a couple focal lengths.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the overall 'barrel shape' of the lens body. Yes, the Distagon a lot smaller than your typical modern SLR lens, but it definitely is bigger than the Zeiss 35/2 and it makes the Zeiss C-Biogon 35/2.8 seem tiny by comparison.

I also think the price is a bit high. It's one of the priciest ZM-mount lenses at $2300 USD. But by comparison the Leica Summilux-M 35/1.4 is $4800 USD, so maybe my complaint is moot.

Here's a shot with my M 240, using the Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4 shot at around F2.8 if I remember correctly. No post-processing.

Old 08-05-2015   #115
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Here's another one that's probably a better representation of the bokeh and wide-open characteristics. I think this one was shot around F2.

Old 08-11-2015   #116
jkjod

It is big, but as everyone else is saying it balances quite nice. I think it is going to stay glued to the M2 for a long, long while. These are Double-X, EI 320 in D-76

roll23-26.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

1.4 at closest focus (glad to see my M2 is in shape, top center part of tree)

roll23-27.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll23-29.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Old 09-08-2015   #117
jonmanjiro

Here’s a few more pics taken with a ZM Distagon 35/1.4. All on film at F/1.4 except for the third pic which I think was taken at F/2, scanned with a Coolscan 5000, and minimally post-processed (minor curve adjustment only, no sharpness added). Wide open, this lens is incredibly free of coma and very sharp.

Old 09-13-2015   #118
jonmanjiro

Here's a few more pics snapped with a ZM Distagon 35/1.4 on a Zeiss Ikon (film!). Pics taken at F/1.4 to see how this lens behaved at its maximum aperture.

Old 10-31-2015   #119
jonmanjiro

Here's a couple of shots taken last night in Shinjuku.

Old 10-31-2015   #120
raid
Dad Photographer

I recently bought a ZM 35/2 to complement my 35 Summicron and my pre-asph Summilux. These three 35mm lenses form a wonderful set. I do not have the 35/1/4 ZM though. Am I missing something?

http://raid.smugmug.com/