Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

I just bought me a Yashica 124G...
Old 12-15-2013   #1
peot
Peot

I just bought me a Yashica 124G...

Ive been longing forever. Finally my private economy allowed me to go ahead. I made the purchase! Whats your opinoion on this peticular camera? And if Youve got pictures taken with it, please show me!

Best regards

Per
Minox 35 GL FED 5V Fed 2 Zorki 4 Ricoh 500G (2) Minolta AF-C (3) Canon A35 F (3) Yashica 35 GSN,GS Konica C35 automatic (2) Minolta Hi-matic F (2) Minolta Himatic AF-2 Minolta SR-7, Minolta XG-2 Minolta Dynax 5 Nikon F-301 Minolta XD-7 Agfa Optima 335 electronic Ricoh 500 Zeiss Ikon Nettar Zeiss Ikon Contessamat Olympus XA Olympus EEs Olympus 35 DC
Rolleicord V Yashicamat 124 G Panasonic Lumix GF, Panasonic Lumix GX, Sona Alpha A 330, Sony Alpha A-850

Old 12-18-2013   #2
Joe Indo

Per,

I have the 124 and the 124G. Other than some chrome and paint they are essentially the same camera from appearance. I've read that internally there are some gold plated electrical contacts and that's where the "G" comes from.

The 124/G is a nice camera to use. Both of mine have working meters and are relatively accurate but I also try to use a handheld a meter.

Here are some shots with mine:

Hope to see some of your shots soon!

Joe

Old 12-18-2013   #3
alienmeatsack

I love mine, it's hefty in weight and feels solid in the hands. The meter still works like a champ, but if you want to shoot above 400 ISO you have to adjust the settings based on what speed the film is and not based on the meter since it stops at 400.

It takes great photos and is fun and easy to use. Definitely is of my favorite TLRs.

Old 12-18-2013   #4
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Just a cross-thread notice to any Yashica TLR owners: In the "Christmas Give-Away" thread, I just put up an offer to give away two filters for the Yashica bayonet TLR lens.

Fuji X30; waiting for X-T4

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Old 12-18-2013   #5
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I also have the 124G and I love it...
Once you see just what the lens will produce and the size of the negs you will too...
Hopefully, you'll like the handling of the camera and the reversed image in the viewfinder...
pf

Old 12-18-2013   #6
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Great camera. I still think it's about the best TLR to use -- great controls, great lens, decent meter. Certainly not as smooth as a Rollei, but still quite nice. The pictures already posted show you what it can do. Get yourself a lens shade for it, though.

Old 12-18-2013   #7
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
I also have the 124G and I love it...
Once you see just what the lens will produce and the size of the negs you will too...
Hopefully, you'll like the handling of the camera and the reversed image in the viewfinder...
Can't say I liked it on any of my TLRs, but you do get used to it once you use it a while, and often enough.

Old 12-18-2013   #8
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Indo View Post
... I've read that internally there are some gold plated electrical contacts and that's where the "G" comes from...
Yep, the plain 124s are more prone to having flaky meter switches (actuated by the finder). The gold plated contacts in the "G" version reduced the problems substantially.

Other than that, the biggest problem most 124/124Gs experience is that they aren't used enough.

Old 12-18-2013   #9
mooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
Can't say I liked it on any of my TLRs, but you do get used to it once you use it a while, and often enough.
... and when you get used to the TLR way and grab a digital camera with a tilty screen, you end up getting confused again.

Old 12-18-2013   #10
Corran

I bought one and really tried to like it but it just didn't click with me. Sold it to a friend.

The out-of-focus rendering was always really busy and annoying, though the lens was sharp. Focusing was never quite as easy I wanted. The meter was also totally awful. It overexposed everything by 2 stops or so.

I used a Rolleiflex with a standard CZ Tessar and liked it a lot better, but it wasn't mine and though I tried to buy it (I evaluated the value for a friend) but he decided to put it on eBay trying to fetch top-dollar, even though it needed some work. Too bad, as I 'clicked' with that camera more than the Yashica. YMMV.

Old 12-19-2013   #11
peot
Peot

Thank U all for replies and pictures. Im anxiously waiting for the mailman :-)
Minox 35 GL FED 5V Fed 2 Zorki 4 Ricoh 500G (2) Minolta AF-C (3) Canon A35 F (3) Yashica 35 GSN,GS Konica C35 automatic (2) Minolta Hi-matic F (2) Minolta Himatic AF-2 Minolta SR-7, Minolta XG-2 Minolta Dynax 5 Nikon F-301 Minolta XD-7 Agfa Optima 335 electronic Ricoh 500 Zeiss Ikon Nettar Zeiss Ikon Contessamat Olympus XA Olympus EEs Olympus 35 DC
Rolleicord V Yashicamat 124 G Panasonic Lumix GF, Panasonic Lumix GX, Sona Alpha A 330, Sony Alpha A-850

Old 12-19-2013   #12
miragem5

Yashicamat124G and FujiPRO400H by steveod2007, on Flickr
Love mine and the light meter is 1/2 a stop too high so I meter off the grass in front of me

Old 12-19-2013   #13
miragem5

Yashica -mat & Agfatronic CSI by steveod2007, on Flickr

Old 12-19-2013   #14
miragem5

Yashica-mat124G & Fuji PRO400H by steveod2007, on Flickr
And one morewith the 124G

Old 01-05-2014   #15
lxmike
Barnack fan

I always fancied a 124G but even now the prices are still on ebay quite high, mind you I do not know what the wife would say if I bought another TLR, as I already have a Mamiya C3 and a Lubitel 166B. Let us know how you get on with your 124G

Digital in use: Fuji X Pro 1, XE 1, X100

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, Summaron 35mm 3.5, Canon 50mm 1.5 LTM, Vario-Elmar 35-70mm 3.5, Fuji 18mm 2, Fuji 35/1.4

Soon to arrive: Leica R Motor Drive and Grip.

Old 01-05-2014   #16
eric4

I just picked one up locally. It was in near mint condition with the case. What kind of battery do you guys use. Unfortunately the battery compartment was corroded but i think I've cleaned it up enough to function. What kind of battery do you guys use for the 124G?

Old 01-05-2014   #17
miragem5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4 View Post
I just picked one up locally. It was in near mint condition with the case. What kind of battery do you guys use. Unfortunately the battery compartment was corroded but i think I've cleaned it up enough to function. What kind of battery do you guys use for the 124G?
Hi I use Varta V625 1.5v batteries in all my light meters and most have been in use now for 12mths with out showing any change in reading
My 124g I had to remove the veiwing hood to clean the screen and mirror and I found 2 X pot adjusters at the back of the meter , alittle tweek on these and checking against the readings on my Canon dslr and I have it reading within a half stop from bright light to low light , I have run about 10 films through it so far and check it from time to time with a dslr or another meter ,so far so good .
Other meters and cameras I have running well on 625 1.5v batteries are
Canon Fb SLR
Minolta 100X SLR [ 3 years still ok]
Weston 9 Cds meter [ takes 2 x 625 ]
Sekonic Apex meter
Sekonic Micro Leader meter
Gossen Sixtomat meter [takes 2 x 625 ]
Yashica-Mat 124G [ 1yr still ok ]
Hope this helps, all this gear reads close enough for my photography needs and I do a regular check on this gear with my Canon EOS-1 bodies.

Old 01-07-2014   #18
mwoenv

I use 675 hearing aid batteries in an inexpensive adapter in my 124 - http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

The meter is accurate with this battery as it provides 1.4 volts as the old mercury batteries did. Exposures are great. THe batteries last a few months as they are zinc-air but they are inexpensive.

I was fortunate to find my near-mint 124 locally a year ago for $125.
Konica III; Konica Auto S2; Konica Autoreflex T2; Konica FS-1; Pentax 645; Yashica Mat 124; Minolta SRT201, X700, X370, XD-11, Minolta Hi-matic 7S; Olympus OM-1; Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC; Nikon N80, N75

Old 01-07-2014   #19
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

124G was my first MF camera. Purchased from original owner last year, CLA'd, took some pictures with it and sold it (within one day). Focusing on TLR is not my thing. I'm RF guy.
This camera was giving very sharp and contrast photos. But it seems, 75mm on MF gives noticeable distortions at frame edges. So, for portraits it is better to keep it in the middle.
I used hearing aid battery and copper wire to hold it in place.

Trees, water, rocks and stumps by Ko.Fe., on Flickr

Old 01-07-2014   #20
bojanfurst

After my Zeiss Ikon, Yashica MAT 124G is my favourite camera. Here is a recent one from a few weeks ago at the annual Christmas Mummers' Parade in St. John's:

and here is a link to a flickr set.

Meter is accurate, but my battery is dead so I just use my handheld meter.

Enjoy it!
Instagram
twitter
Web

Old 01-07-2014   #21
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Even though my 124g's battery compartment is perfect and I have an original PX625 mercury battery I prefer to use a hand-held meter...
pf

Old 01-07-2014   #22
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

This is a fine camera but I am not too fond of crank wind TLR's so I use the Yashica D with Yashinon lens instead.. However any Yashica TLR with Yashinon is a fine workable camera..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 01-07-2014   #23
farlymac
PF McFarland

I bought one new back in 1972. Loved it. Didn't shoot it enough though, since I was in the Navy at the time, and they kept me sorta busy. Sold it to a shipmate who was transferring to another ship, and two weeks later I get a letter from him saying the shutter broke. Lucked out on that one. It's not typical of a less than one-year-old 124G to do that, so I just figure he mishandled it, and wanted to blame me for it. I told him it didn't come with a warranty.

PF

Old 01-07-2014   #24
Luddite Frank

I have a mint 124G and a very nice YashicaMAT from the 1960s'.

They are very closely modeled on the Rolleiflex, although many feel that the build quality is not quite as high, especially with regard to the film transport mechanism.

I have not put any film through my 124G, as the shutter is unfortunately very sticky.

I will probably send it out for CLA then take some pictures.

The YashicaMAT takeds very nice pictures.

Using the focusing magnifier is a "must-do" for sharp pictures.

Old 01-31-2014   #25
Sid836

I have been given a folding cap for my 124G. It is of the old type, the one that you fit in a bayonet style on the viewing lens and the other half of it falls on the taking lens.
Would that scratch the metal part of the lenses? Would it be better to buy a soft plastic lens cover for it?

Old 03-26-2014   #26
Stdon

I just got a 124G that's I's have to describe as as close to mint as you can get. Even the black leather case looks new without a scuff. Took it out the other day for the first time loaded with Ilford Delta 100 and did a little shooting.
Nikos72 you can get plastic lens covers and shades on ebay for less the 20 so I got a spare.

I told the kids I cut the head off the prettiest one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yashica 124G safari001.jpg (60.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Yashica 124G safari002.jpg (39.1 KB, 20 views)

Old 03-26-2014   #27
Michael I.

A friend recently got one looking mint but it turned out it has transport problems.
any advice?

Old 03-27-2014   #28
Sid836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stdon View Post
I just got a 124G that's I's have to describe as as close to mint as you can get. Even the black leather case looks new without a scuff. Took it out the other day for the first time loaded with Ilford Delta 100 and did a little shooting.
Nikos72 you can get plastic lens covers and shades on ebay for less the 20 so I got a spare.

I told the kids I cut the head off the prettiest one.
I have decided to keep that old cap. It is not as easy to use as the plastic one, but it looks nice. Thank you for the offer!
I am still trying to get used to the awkward of composing with it so lots of pretty heads go missing in my photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael I. View Post
A friend recently got one looking mint but it turned out it has transport problems.
any advice?
What kind of problems? Uneven spacing between frames, film not winding?

Old 03-27-2014   #29
Michael I.

uneven spacing, overlapping frames