Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Old 03-03-2013   #81
willie_901

Mcary,

I did the same calculation this AM and also realized it cost me $1/day to own my X100.

Oh the horror and ruin.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-04-2013   #82
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I just received an e-mail message from Henry's Canada camera store. They say that X100s shipments are expected to begin on April 1. (Hopefully that's not their version of an April Fool's joke!).

Fuji X30; waiting for X-T4

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Old 03-04-2013   #83
back alley
IMAGES

not too long now then...

Old 03-06-2013   #84
MiniMoke

My X100 is gone now - bought for € 720 only 7 months ago, sold for € 620... = €14.29 a month - good!

X100s is on order - they will arrive before end of month here in Luxembourg - € 1.100

Old 03-08-2013   #85
Black
Photographer.

My X100s also on pre-order. I will be getting the inevitable Black lim ed upon release and will trade in the silver version to do so. I'll obviously take a financial hit, but I could be dead tomorrow, so screw it.

Old 03-08-2013   #86
KM-25

It's a key camera for me in certain shoots, so yes, I have it on order with B&H. Will probably sell my X100 soon, it's all a tax write off, good stuff.

Old 03-08-2013   #87
thirteen

Me, me and me!

Old 03-08-2013   #88
MiniMoke

used x100... I just sold mine for 620€ (about 800$). Guess I was very lucky!!

Old 03-12-2013   #89
seagrove
Rich

So, anybody got any updates on delivery? My last look at B&H said 22 March :-(

Old 03-12-2013   #90
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrove View Post
So, anybody got any updates on delivery? My last look at B&H said 22 March :-(
Well, that's only 10 days away... not sure what kind of update can happen (except for the worse).

Old 03-13-2013   #91
Black
Photographer.

DHL give excellent updates Mine has made its way from Hong Kong, stopped over in Leipzig and is now in the UK. It'll be mine by tomorrow at the latest *does excited dance*

Old 03-13-2013   #92
kuvvy

I'll be looking forward to playing with yours Chris and trying to resist temptation to upgrade. Struggling moneywise thanks to the government, but may be interested in yours when you upgrade to a gorgeous black model

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 03-13-2013   #93
Black
Photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
I'll be looking forward to playing with yours Chris and trying to resist temptation to upgrade. Struggling moneywise thanks to the government, but may be interested in yours when you upgrade to a gorgeous black model

Paul
I'll bear that in mind, cheers Paul. Bob has mentioned shooting in Manny sometime this coming week to Marc - don't know if its an open invite, but I need to take it out for a shoot ASAP.

Old 03-13-2013   #94
kuvvy

Yeah Bob mentioned Saturday but I can't make it. I may try for Sunday as its the St Patrick's day parade.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 03-13-2013   #95
SnapperJ

Hi all
I have one on pre order. I was looking at the xPro 1, but when I looked at the x100s at Focus on Imagining I changed my mind. It’s such a good size camera for street photography or as just a walk around camera.

Old 03-14-2013   #96
xavi

I've ordered one. It will arrive tomorrow. I wish it will be a good partner for my M8!!

Old 03-14-2013   #97
MiniMoke

I hate you!

Still no news here in Luxembourg..... was at the shop today and they have no date yet.

Old 03-16-2013   #98
tohara

i got my x100s a few days, i'm pretty sure it's one of the first in Aus. Its my first digital since an M9. The split imaging i dont like and will never use but the focus peaking is cool.

I've never used a x100 but i can't say that i found the AF to be blistering on the 's', certainly no match for the OMD. The OVF is useless, it doesn't focus up close and the parallax is a pain in the arse anywhere under 2m. The OVF focus assist box is useless too. I guess i'll live with the EVF.

Those things aside its wonderful. Its built like a tank, processes/starts up quickly, and the images are lovely.

It's not the 'perfect' camera many describe it as being.

Just my $0.02

Old 03-16-2013   #99
kuvvy

tohara, I have to agree with much of what you say. I saw the 's' at Focus on Imaging and came away a little deflated. I had expected it to really impress me but it failed to do that. The AF didn't seem much different, didn't like the split imaging and I rarely use MF except to set hyperfocal distances and this has been fine on my original X100 on the occasions I've used it.
Have to add I only had chance to compare my camera with an 's' that was tied to the counter and wasn't able to move it away to use it comfortably.
While I couldn't see the point in upgrading for these improvements it would be the new sensor which would be most tempting to sway me.
Things haven't been helped by the dealer where I bought original X100 from contacting me yesterday to say he had them in stock and my name was at the top if I was interested.
Despite being disappointed with what I saw I'm still finding hard to resist.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 03-16-2013   #100
willie_901

There are reasons the camera has two finders. Focusing closer than ~2 m is one of them.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-16-2013   #101
tohara

Just my initial impressions guys please don't think im belittling the camera, its great, don't get me wrong. The AF is fast but its not blistering, in my findings the OMD is noticeably quicker.

I had never heard about the parallax issues, hence my initial disappointment, the OVF was a big selling point for me. But i won't be using it. It will not grab focus using the OVF at around a metre and that's a fact, when using my camera. I find it unnecessary to compare it to a range finder and it's focusing abilities, two completely different methods of focus and mechanical structure.

Again i never used/owned the x100 so i cannot compare the EVF, i didn't find myself bothered by the OMD EVF and i am not bothered by the x100s EVF, its just that i would prefer the OVF coming from a Leica. Having said that i refuse to use the LCD, so the EVF it is!

I will be putting it through its paces today to see how good the sensor really is.

Old 03-16-2013   #102
tohara

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
My comment about RFs was due to the fact that any optical VF will have parallax. It's not a flaw, it's inherent to such designs. That said once you get familiar you should find focusing in that range quite easy, if you are willing to give the OVF a try.
Have you shot a Leica? I have never experienced parallax with any Leica framelines

Old 03-16-2013   #103
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohara View Post
Have you shot a Leica? I have never experienced parallax with any Leica framelines
Parallax error is inherent in the viewfinder design because the center of the OVF and the center of the lens are not on the same axis... The Leica M framelines shift down and to the right in an attempt to correct for parallax as you focus closer.

But it leaves two issues unresolved: First, field size should change too but the framelines don't show that; second, the "correction" is only about correct for the one object distance you're focused to. Objects in the scene that are closer are displaced one direction while more distant objects are displaced the other direction.

So if you try to line up fenceposts that are at different distances, for example, they may *look* lined up in the OVF but will not in fact be lined up in the photo. This parallax effect doesn't occur with TTL viewing such as with an SLR or Live View.

Old 03-16-2013   #104
bwcolor

The X100 had OVF parallax corrected framelines, as well as focus point parallax compensation. Of course, the camera must be made aware of the required focusing distance. I'm sure that given the correct initial setup, that the X100s' framelines are parallax corrected.

Old 03-16-2013   #105
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
The X100 had OVF parallax corrected framelines, as well as focus point parallax compensation. Of course, the camera must be made aware of the required focusing distance. I'm sure that given the correct initial setup, that the X100s' framelines are parallax corrected.
Yes, this is the case.

If time permits one can quickly push the Command Control switch and see a 5X digital zoom of the actual focus region and confirm or adjust the focus when needed. This is particularly useful for close distances.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-16-2013   #106
tohara

No. of posts aside, no disrespect intended on my part either, i was just curious. Maybe i'm naive as to the intricacies of the rangefinder system but with my m9 the content i composed in the frame lines was what was produced in the image, i had no knowledge of the parallax concept. I too fell into the trap of the x100s' initial impressions of perfections, i was expecting an amazing camera with zero faults. To a certain extent an M9 but with AF

The framelines in the x100s might very well be corrected for parallax but only to a certain point, and that point is certainly not less than 1.5 metres. I have turned on the parallax assists but it isn't completely accurate and leaves a lot to the intuition of the photo-taker. Which, in time, will result in me being able to take photos with the composition that i intend.

I had/have no intention of starting an argument about parallaxes its just that with the M9 i never experienced it, and didn't expect to with the x100s, hence why i noticed it perhaps more than most. I will use the OVF, i will use the EVF and i will use the LCD.

End of the day it's a great camera.

Old 03-19-2013   #107
JeffNYC

I'm torn between the X100S and the Sigma DP2 Merrill. I realize, they're two totally different cameras....
I do have an Xpro1, so familiar with what Fuji can do with colors / files.

Leica, Nikon, & Fuji

Flickr Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcolen/

Old 03-19-2013   #108
GaryLH

I have dp Merrill's, xp1 and x100.
- Af speed is around x100. New x100s should be faster than the xo1.
- Color accuracy and resolving power go to dp Merrill.
- I like q menu implantation better on Merrill then the xp1.
- overall UI goes to Fuji
- high iso no contest - Fuji

I use an external ovf w/ my dp1&2 Merrill. I rarely shot from tripod. There are a lot of things the Fuji will do much better than the Merrill, but depending on what types of photography u are into, the Merrill can be a great addition to your kit. This year I am trying to target over 70% usage... I grew up in the 70s shooting Kodachrome 25.. So I tend to like that punchy Kodachrome look and it is easy to accomplish w/ the dp Merrill. The only down side of the Merrill s the sigma raw converter sw. One of the worst UI I have ever encountered.

Good luck w/ your decision. I don't think u can go wrong w/ either.
Gary

Old 03-20-2013   #109
jsrockit

The first X100s cameras have started shipping in the US.

Old 03-21-2013   #110
bjornkeizers

Man, I'm jealous of whoever owns one right now. Last week a handful started showing up on Dutch photo retailer websites - and were promptly sold out within minutes. I put an order in with my favorite store yesterday, after they told me they 'might' get stock this week. I usually don't preorder, but since they started shipping I figured it probably wouldn't be long.

Well, turns out I just got an email... the Fuji supplier bumped the expected delivery date for new stock up to april 27th.

You can imagine the bloodcurdling stream of expletives that followed.

So uh... yeah... expect some shipping delays folks!
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 03-21-2013   #111
maitani

anybody got impression how the digital 'pseudo-split-image-rangefinder' handles?

Old 03-21-2013   #112
Paul T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohara View Post
Just my initial impressions guys please don't think im belittling the camera, its great, don't get me wrong. The AF is fast but its not blistering, in my findings the OMD is noticeably quicker.

I had never heard about the parallax issues, hence my initial disappointment, the OVF was a big selling point for me. But i won't be using it.

I will be putting it through its paces today to see how good the sensor really is.
the X100 definitely needs some getting used to - I suspect some of the problems will settle with experience. But your account makes me worry - the biggest single problem I find with the X100 is the need to switch to macro when you're around three feet away, and the problems in locking on in some low-contrast situations.

Old 03-21-2013   #113
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers View Post
Man, I'm jealous of whoever owns one right now.
Me too, looks like I missed the first shipment... unless a certain texas dealer comes through for me.

Old 03-22-2013   #114
JustinZ850

I'm passing through Tokyo in a few days and I'm not sure I can resist if I see one!

Old 03-22-2013   #115
danielsterno
making soup from mud

all: just a FYI- Steve Huff is shooting with the x100s all weekend and his review will be on Monday- i also asked him specifically on his blog if he would speak to the x100 owners and address the concept of: if you have a x100 is it worth upgrading (selling the x100 and buying a new x100s)- he mentioned that he would...
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100F

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 03-22-2013   #116
mobilexile

I put one on hold with my local FujiFilm dealer. They expect delivery Monday or Tuesday of next week. Looking forward to it.

Old 03-22-2013   #117
FA Limited
planespotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
all: just a FYI- Steve Huff is shooting with the x100s all weekend and his review will be on Monday- i also asked him specifically on his blog if he would speak to the x100 owners and address the concept of: if you have a x100 is it worth upgrading (selling the x100 and buying a new x100s)- he mentioned that he would...
not to be daft but that's really a personal decision and depends on so many things. seems like people like reassurances to make themselves feel better about buying stuff . but if you want another "Should i upgrade", the strobist has his in-depth review with a should i upgrade section as well

http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2013/03/...ilm-x100s.html

Old 03-26-2013   #118
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

just picked mine up

lens hood is JJC, soft release is from Tom Abrahamsson, strap is from Tap and Dye

Cheers,
M

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 03-27-2013   #119
seagrove
Rich

Must be nice, Matt! Mine is sitting in the B&H warehouse until they return from Passover holiday next week!!!

Old 03-28-2013   #120
bjornkeizers

Great news guys: I just got a shipping confirmation for my camera! Even though the seller expected an april delivery date, stock started popping up this morning. So if all goes well, I should have the camera in hand by this time tomorrow.
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110