Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: How many unused cameras do you have?
None! I've used all my cameras! 201 31.11%
1 62 9.60%
2 49 7.59%
3 40 6.19%
4 26 4.02%
5 39 6.04%
6 24 3.72%
7 14 2.17%
8 12 1.86%
9 9 1.39%
10 10 1.55%
More than 10 160 24.77%
Voters: 646. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2018   #161
giganova

I have two Minox 35 ML and an Olympus mju II that I thought I would always have me ... but in reality, when I want to take pictures, I take my Leica M4 or Mamiya RZ67 with me. I'm not a spontaneous "snapshot" kind of guy, I guess.

Old 05-12-2018   #162
seany65

At the minute, the unused cameras I've got are:

1 Nikon F301, 1 Welta Perle 6x9, 1 Welta Weltax and 1 Gevaert Gevabox 6x9.

All but the Weltax have films in them and will be used fairly soon. Before I use the Weltax I'd like the viewfinder's 6x4.5 frame sorting out and I need a rangefinder in metres. Once they're sorted (I may just 'muddle along' with the slightly malfunctioning frame) I'll shove a film in and use it.

Old 05-12-2018   #163
Robert Lai

Personally, I find something that is broken to be incredibly annoying. I won't rest until it has been corrected. Thus, I never have any non-functional cameras. In this way, I've done my bit to keep Don Goldberg, Gus Lazzari, Henry Scherer, Sover Wong, Frank Marshman, and many other skilled repairers in business.

If I still can't get along with the camera even when it is 100% functional, then it gets sold.

What I have left is a collection that I use. I will admit that some cameras are my favorites, and get more use than others. I also get into little waves. I'll use all my Nikon SLRs at a go. Then I'll switch to TLRs, and so on.

Old 05-12-2018   #164
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

All of my cameras are "unused" while I'm being distracted by the computer, et al.
Phil Forrest

Old 05-12-2018   #165
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I have a Zorki 1 that is in true "excellent +" condition. I have shot 1 roll of film to test it when I got it, none since. I exercise the shutter occasionally. I think of it as a back-up to a Leica IId that I keep full of film.
I may sell it, or keep it, it only cost $139 (shipped) including a Jupiter 8 with perfect glass. It is neat to think that a very good camera and lens can cost so little now-days.

Old 05-23-2018   #166
steveyork

If I don't use something in a year, it gets put on that big auction site.

I like to have at least 6-7 working cameras at one time, having been in a situation where I had to scrounge for cameras before a trip.

I like to have to have 4 or so totally different cameras for variety. Bored easily.

Old 05-23-2018   #167
johank

I don't use any of my analog film cameras anymore, they are 4. My still film cameras all get aired. I have a few at service since they broke and a few that waits for repairtime but as they come back they will get a tour with film and light.
Recently I loaded some 16 mm and 9,5 casettes. My 1936 Contax was aired today.

Shelfcameras is not my style.

Old 05-23-2018   #168
rfaspen

Define "unused".

Seriously though. I have a bunch that are unused. Some because they're actually broken, some because they're "acting up", and some because of poor ergonomics. And some just because I have a lot cameras and it takes a while to get around to them.

My current crop of cameras is the result of both active collecting and passive accumulation (I'm gifted a substantial number of "old cameras" by well-meaning people). They are 98% film cameras.

I once derived satisfaction from collecting cameras partly because I could use these cameras as well. I still think that's fun, but I don't have the time to really do that in the way I originally intended. So, now I'm reducing the "collection" to a carefully curated number that is practical for my life and lifestyle.

At one time I had it in my mind to try to collect one example of main camera types: So one stereo camera, one TLR, one MF SLR, one plate camera, one German RF, one Japanese RF, one "spy" camera, one Box camera, one MF folder, one 35 folder, and I could obviously go on and on.

I need to say, I'm no longer an active collector. Any further acquisition of photo gear is motivated by usage. For example, I may pick up a 75mm lens for my Leica kit because I'm interested in using the focal length for portrait work. I am not interested in tracking down a Hecktor 73/1.9 to complete the focal length range of LTM lenses in my cabinet. Of course I would not refuse one if someone were to gift it to me.

Old 05-23-2018   #169
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
...I'm no longer an active collector. Any further acquisition of photo gear is motivated by usage. For example, I may pick up a 75mm lens for my Leica kit because I'm interested in using the focal length for portrait work. I am not interested in tracking down a Hecktor 73/1.9 to complete the focal length range of LTM lenses in my cabinet. Of course I would not refuse one if someone were to gift it to me.
You could sneak around the Hektor by getting the current CV Heliar 1.8/75mm, as it looks to have the same optical formula. M-mount though.

Last year I donated a Pentax dSLR to the high school photo program, so that's one down. I have several dozen film cameras no longer used, all serviced as needed, so I need to figure a disposal program. I never actively collected, they just accumulated!

Old 05-25-2018   #170
Cyriljay

I have nearly 4 cameras

Hasselblad
M6
Xpan 2
Nikon m5

They are just doing nothing and for few years they are just loaded with films and my other working ( using ) cameras are M digital. and I always go into Digital and that is why I am less concern with the Negative cameras.

Old 05-25-2018   #171
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
You could sneak around the Hektor by getting the current CV Heliar 1.8/75mm, as it looks to have the same optical formula. M-mount though.

Last year I donated a Pentax dSLR to the high school photo program, so that's one down. I have several dozen film cameras no longer used, all serviced as needed, so I need to figure a disposal program. I never actively collected, they just accumulated!
I didn't know there was a possible relationship between the CV lens and Hektor. The Hektor is rumored to be a decent performer; not only for its era, but even now.

I'm really very casual about picking up a 75 though. Its only likely to happen if I stumble across a good opportunity. Basically, I have a mental list of "wants", but I'm definitely not actively looking for anything these days. Acquisitions are chance luck opportunities.

As for paring down the "collection". I too have donated cameras to folks who have indicated an interest in film photography. Unfortunately, I've learned that some of the younger people aren't as serious as they appear at first. I've gifted some quite nice cameras and lenses that I fear have been lost (possibly even trashed ). On the other hand, the cashier at my local grocery store is very appreciative of the Canon EOS system I gave him several months ago. I've been warned that prints are coming......to be honest, I can't wait.

"Passive accumulation." That describes the process nowadays. I don't seek or ask, but the cameras still find me. Goes with the reputation I guess

Old 05-25-2018   #172
ptpdprinter

The only camera I don't use is an Olympus OM4, which is a backup to an OM4Ti, which has never given me a problem. I more frequently use my OM1 which I will never part with. The OM4 has been CLAed and is in excellent condition, but is still hardly worth the time and effort to sell. I am actually pretty lean, with only a Minolta Autocord and a Linhof Technikarden in addition. I am not a collector. I suspect there are quite a few people with unused camera that they picked up from time to time thinking they were interesting or for a project that are now not worth the time and effort selling so they accumulate.

Old 05-25-2018   #173
jsrockit

Nope, none not in use... right now I only own two cameras. By the beginning of July, I'll be back up to four and all will be in use.

Old 05-30-2018   #174
ptpdprinter

It is interesting to look at the poll. Most users appear to be at one end of spectrum or the other - user or collector.

Old 06-02-2018   #175
besk

At least 20. Too many to count. I am going to start selling --- someday.

Old 06-04-2018   #176
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Still way too many.

G

Old 06-04-2018   #177
NickTrop

Down to two unused film cameras -- now largely displays: Pentax PC35 AF film point-and-shoot and a Fujica Compact Deluxe fixed lens range finder.

Old 06-04-2018   #178
seagrove

I have never been a collector of cameras preferring to use whatever I had. The most I have had at anytime is 4 - a pair of Olympus OM-4, a Yashica Electro35 GS, and a Yashica 124G. Loved my OM-4 bodies (although I did sell them in favor of autofocus for Nikon F100), the Yashica I will always keep as it once belong to my dad, and sold the 124G as I could never figure out how to shoot "vertical" (lol) with it. Today, I have only two - the Electro35 GS and a Fuji X100S since I retired.
Yashica Electro35 GS, Fujifilm X100S, TCL-X100, WCL-X100, sold everything else!

Old 07-06-2018   #179
Peter Wijninga

As long as I have more unused shoes than unused cameras, I'm not worried.

Old 07-06-2018   #180
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
As long as I have more unused shoes than unused cameras, I'm not worried.
Then I'm in serious trouble. I have two pairs of shoes: a dress pair, and an everyday pair. Looking down, I can see that I need a new pair of everyday shoes....

*rock-climbing shoes don't count, do they? I have plenty of those.

Old 07-06-2018   #181
dourbalistar

Quote:
Then I'm in serious trouble. I have two pairs of shoes: a dress pair, and an everyday pair. Looking down, I can see that I need a new pair of everyday shoes....

*rock-climbing shoes don't count, do they? I have plenty of those.
I call my La Sportivas "fine Italian leather shoes". I also have more of them than dress shoes.

flickr

Old 07-06-2018   #182
pyeh

I knew a woman who said her goal in life was to try every sport in the world just so she could buy the right shoes for each one.

Last edited by pyeh : 07-06-2018 at 22:30. Reason: typo

No unused cameras here
Old 07-08-2018   #183
Pioneer

No unused cameras here

I use all my cameras. It may take me a year or two to get around to all of them but if they work, they get used.

I do have a few large format lenses where the shutters have become a bit sticky from lack of use but I usually try to exercise most of those at least once a year.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-08-2018   #184
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

I have been thinning the herd lately, keeping only those I really like and which don't have sentimental value.

I'm still over 10, but not as many as I once had.

Old 07-08-2018   #185
Baby of Macon

I have less now because I was photographing a classic car show last weekend when a kid let the handbrake off a car which was parked on a slope. Said car destroyed two of my nikons and my two F2.8 zooms before hitting me. I'm ok but the cameras are not

Old 07-15-2018   #186
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby of Macon View Post
I have less now because I was photographing a classic car show last weekend when a kid let the handbrake off a car which was parked on a slope. Said car destroyed two of my nikons and my two F2.8 zooms before hitting me. I'm ok but the cameras are not
😨
That is crazy. Sorry for your loss and any injury.
Phil Forrest

Old 07-20-2018   #187
bhop73

I put two, but only because one doesn't work, and the other uses an obsolete film (kodak folder from 1921 130 size film). I've used every other camera that I have.. which is quite a few.

edit: now that I think of it, I have at least three that i've never used because they don't work.

How many unused cameras do you have?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #188
joe bosak

How many unused cameras do you have?

I buy with use in mind, however unrealistic that might be, and I always test cameras within a few days (for digital) or weeks ( in the case of film cameras where i may have to source film). After that they may languish in a cupboard unused for periods i don't like to think too much about, but if they are too annoying or awkward to even contemplate using again, i get rid of them. Anything i have, on the whole, I will eventually get round to using again, one day.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #189
Veggies

Too many. Time to sell some.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #190
FrozenInTime

Quote:

*rock-climbing shoes don't count, do they?
Just bought my first pair after being away from any climbing for 30 years.
New house boat mooring is only a few minutes away from the indoor wall at Ratho .

M9 had been away for so long getting sensor replaced, then languished unused and forgotten that I decided it was time to sell. An OM-1n and MX also went at the same time. All three cameras sold within hours of being posted.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #191
Cyriljay

I have taken out my Hussy and finished the film loaded (left unfinished a year and a half) The reloaded it with a new film and leave ready to go out to shoot again soon.

Old 1 Week Ago   #192
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalK View Post
I have been thinning the herd lately, keeping only those I really like and which don't have sentimental value.

I'm still over 10, but not as many as I once had.
Watchit!

Old 1 Week Ago   #193
jsrockit

I use them all... except my Nikon EM. Also, my X100F tends to sit right now.

Old 1 Week Ago   #194
Peter_S

1. Contax T I bought ridiculously cheap and that serves as backup for my T3 (:

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram