Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: How many unused cameras do you have?
None! I've used all my cameras! 202 30.51%
1 64 9.67%
2 51 7.70%
3 41 6.19%
4 26 3.93%
5 40 6.04%
6 24 3.63%
7 15 2.27%
8 12 1.81%
9 9 1.36%
10 12 1.81%
More than 10 166 25.08%
Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2006   #41
dexdog
sans bokeh

I have 3 unused RF cameras. Two Contax 1a cameras (one overhauled by Henry S.) and one postwar Jena Contax III (also overhauled by Henry S.) that I have not put any film through. I also have 3 Canon film SLRs that have seen only limited use in the last 10 years.

Old 05-26-2006   #42
stet
lurker.

None, but of course one or two always gets neglected for a few months. The Rapid Omega was riding pine for a few months, but then I reread John Brownlow's site the bit about street shooting with a strobe and 4x5 and got inspired. I'm pscyhed, but my arm is always sore.

RFF | rickv.com

Old 06-16-2006   #43
lmd91343
There's my Proctor-Silex!

I have five working cameras that I have not used: My father's '50s vintage 8mm movie camera; my father's early model polaroid RF; my grandfather's early model polaroid RF; my mom's ancient TLR; and my father-in-law's Kodak 35 RF. I don't think I could get film for anyof them except the Kodak RF.

Oops, I forgot my other Canon QL17GIII that I bought because it has a serial number of 000003.

I also have a B&H Filmo that I have not used in almost 30 years. I also have a mint F1N that I have only used 3 or 4 times. I forgot about the broken Argus RF and the low serial number FED1 in the display cabinet.

Only 32 total cameras. I don't know, why my wife complains!

Rangefinders used:
Canon IV Sb2; 7s x2; B&H 7; FED 2.f modified for Canon 0.95
Canonet QL17 GIII; Kodak Retina II; Moskva 5; Zeiss SI folder; Medalist II

Rangefinders lenses used:
Canon/Seranar 50/0.95; 50/1.8; 50/1.9; 85/2.0; 100/3.5; 135/4
FSU I50; J3

Old 06-18-2006   #44
Phoenix Phil

I have a Ensign Autorange (supposedly shoots in both 6x4.5 and 6x6 formats but I wouldn't know since I haven't put film into it. I also have a Watson full plate view camera that I converted to an 8x10 which I haven't shot. And then the last one that I have not put film in is an old Canon autofocus camera (sort of like a SureShot but smaller and with a faster lens).

Now if I count the cameras that I have neglected for over a year, the count would go up by another four cameras. This is one addictive habit.
Olympus XA, Infinity Stylus and 35 SP, Konica Auto S2, Wards am521, Ansco Super Memar, Minolta Hi-Matic E, Minolta XD5, Pentax Spotmatic and KV, Ricoh Diacord L, Mamiya C22, Bronica SQA, mini Crown Graphic, Watson 8x10 and Kodak Vigilant six-20

Old 06-18-2006   #45
David Murphy

I am embarrasssed to say ! Some of them are for sale here right now! If I don't use them within a year or so they have to go !
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 06-18-2006   #46
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

I'm interpreting the question as "lately", and not "ever".

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 06-18-2006   #47
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I bought a Leica IIIc with bad curtains. Once it is fixed I'll start using it but for now it is my only unused camera.

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 07-11-2006   #48
narsuitus

I have 6 unused cameras:

One that belonged to my mother
One duplicate film SLR that will only be activated when a working SLR is broken beyond repair.
One Polaroid that that uses obsolete film
Three broken 35mm point & shoot cameras

Last edited by narsuitus : 07-11-2006 at 21:27.

Old 07-11-2006   #49
Nachkebia

1 - Nikon F65
2 - Nikon FM3a
3 - Nikon F6

Zeiss Ikon, Leica M7, 21,25,35 biogon ZM, 28 elmarit ASPH, 50 planar ZM, 50 summilux asph
(hardcore nikonian)

Old 07-13-2006   #50
dll927

When I saw this thread, I ran into a semantic problem. By "unused", do you mean never used, or not used any more? Of the cameras I've bought in the last 30-35 years ALL of them have been used and were usually at some time my main camera. On the other hand, I do have some that haven't been used in a long time.

I also have quite a collection of "FSU" cameras = Zorkis, Kievs, and three FEDs. Most have only been used to see if they operated reasonably correctly. I don't need those for taking pictures, although some are pretty good bets for that, too.

Old 07-13-2006   #51
Magnus

I have one brand new black paint MP a la carte which I periodically only take out of the box to "keep fit"
It has never taken a picture, has never been outside and is carefully put back in the boy after a range of shutter speeds.
This along with a 50 summicron I bought new on the day my son was born (all documents dated on that date+ a leica memorial certificate thingie with my sons name on it), I plan to give it to him on some birthday depending how fast, and if he gets into photography.

Old 07-13-2006   #52
dll927

Are Leicas cheaper in Germany than in the U. S.? Somehow it doesn't add up to buy a camera like that to use as a paper weight. Even Leicas are meant to be used, although I have head of those who just admire them. I do use mine.

Ummm...
Old 07-13-2006   #53
Imagestreet

Ummm...

Umm..

Nikon F100 - not used in 2 years (D100/D200 so why bother)
Bronica ETRS - not used in 3 years (Too expensive to scan, too much hassle)
Pax 35mm rangefinder - not used in 9 years (got me into rangefinder photography now sadly ignored)
Folding 6x6 Zeiss Ikon - not used in 15 years (my Dad's old camera)
Ricoh KR5 SLR (lives in the car boot) - not used at all

Should really sell the Bronica / F100 but often still worry about whether this digital thing will really catch on....

Old 07-18-2006   #54
Rafael
Mandlerian

I've used them all. But that said, I have very few.

Old 07-18-2006   #55
mdelevie

I discovered an Agfa Clack in my parent's stuff, and immediately grabbed it. This is a MF snapshot camera, kinda like a Holga, but it has a really neat curved film surface. (I was going to say "film plane" but it's not planar, it's curved) The idea is that this feature overcomes the poor performance of the meniscus lens, so it shouldn't suffer from vignetting or corner softness.

But to my discredit, I've never found out.

My least-used cameras are an early Voigtlander Bessa (I got the Bessa RF, so no need for guesstimation focusing with the original Bessa), and a Canon EOS Rebel Ti that I keep around just in case my digital EOS camera takes a dump during a wedding. I dutifully load film each time, then unload it afterwards... I've never needed the backup, thank goodness.

Mark

Old 07-20-2006   #56
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Last count is 18. Only two I never used, the Brownie from my uncle and the recently re-acquired Petri V6 (an emotional thing as it was my first SLR that I got from my wife/then girlfriend). My father's pre-WW2 Agfa folding camera, the Rolleicord Va, Canon EF, Canon AE1, Canon A1, Canon EOS10, and Canon D60 were all heavily used in their time, but have subsequently been succeeded. I now mostly shoot a Canon 20D. Oops, forgot the Canon Ixus z70, that I used on trips to Egypt and Rome.

Recently, after I was so lucky to get two M4s (one is used regularly, the other is mostly sitting and being pretty), and an MDa+Visoflex, I got a serious bout of RF-GAS. I'm now braking in a Leica IIIc, a Canon IVSb and a Leica IIIf RD ST. Next week I expect the Nikon S2 to arrive. Here is my current set of RFs.

Last edited by HuubL : 07-21-2006 at 05:45.

Old 07-25-2006   #57
JohnL
Very confused

I *have* used all my cameras, all of them regularly at one time or another, but there are two that I only use rarely now: the EOS3 and the Nikonos III. I also am only occasionally using the 10D right now. Actually I'm trying to sell it to raise (some of) the wind for a 30D. The G5, the 5D and the M7 I use several times each per month on average.

Old 08-14-2006   #58
carlo39

I have 5 cameras (Canon 5D, Canon AT1, Rollei SL66, Canon Digital Ixus i5/SD20, Panasonic Lumix LX1) that I use within their limits (no sport photo with rollei or compacts!) and I'm waiting a Bessa R3M that I'll plan to use for my evening photo tour!

Hi,

Carlo

Last edited by carlo39 : 08-14-2006 at 05:50.

Old 08-14-2006   #59
raid
Dad Photographer

Here are the cameras that I have not used yet:

1. Linhof Color Kardan 45S
2. Retinette

Raid

Old 08-15-2006   #60
Dougg
Seasoned Member

I have not yet used my Elikon (near copy of an Oly XA). But, showing good intentions, I loaded film in it the other day. Today my Contax IIIa and 1.5/50 Sonnar arrived back from CLA and they feel gloriously smooth and solid... in very great contrast to the sticky/plasticky Elikon. I think I will exercise the Contax machine first!

Old 08-24-2006   #61
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

As strange as it may seem, I can actually say I've used all the cameras I still have. I may not have been happy with the results enough to keep the negatives, but I've used them.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 09-29-2006   #62
dexdog
sans bokeh

I have 4 unused cameras

Contax Ia
Contax If, because it is broken
Contax III, hate the bulky meter
Contax IIIa, hate the bulky meter

Everything else gets used, albeit on an occasional basis, particularly the old
35mm SLRs such as the Canon FTbN, Konica AutoReflex first model, and a Canon T70 that I inherited from my dad.

Lots!
Old 09-29-2006   #63
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

Lots!

I'm a collector too. I have a big display case full and more in boxes waiting for display space. I just enjoy the old stuff, not that any one is very valuable. No Leicas or Contaxes.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 09-29-2006   #64
dexdog
sans bokeh

I like your avatar. I use an expressionistic picture of Dex, the dog, for my avatar. Judging from appearances, I think that Dex is a Corgi-German Shepard mix. Corgi proportions, especially Corgi legs, fast as a bullet, tons of stamina and all muscle, but 36 inches from nose to base of tail, and 60 pounds. He's a great dog, got him from a county shelter in 2000. Great personality, and really intelligent.

If he had not already been christened Dex by the shelter folks, I probably would have called him Turbo.

Last edited by dexdog : 09-29-2006 at 18:12.

Old 09-29-2006   #65
Rayt

I never use my MF gear anymore but haven't sold them because they are now not worth nearly what I paid. I have an Mamiya 6, several Rolleicords (Maxwell, Fleenor CLA'd), and several 500C/M's. Just hate to see them go.

Old 09-30-2006   #66
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Dexdog - i didn't know there were different versions of the Contax I.
What's Ia? and If ???

Old 09-30-2006   #67
x-ray

All my unused cameras are decorators in my office and home. All are vintage box, folding, graflex slr, 11x14 view, an 8x10 studio camera on an iron and wood stand and1933 Rollei's etc.

Old 10-02-2006   #68
flashover
John K

Did a re-count today. Wow I am down to two camera (oh my mistake I didn't count the ones in the mail) Five cameras. Leica IIIa, Yashica-A, Yashica GT, Pentax ME and a very nice looking (in the picture) Kiev

Yashica Professional (the camera not the guy behind it)

Canon QL17 GIII / Nikon F3 / Pair of Yashica-Ds

Camera Junkie Flickr Group

Old 10-02-2006   #69
dexdog
sans bokeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand
Dexdog - i didn't know there were different versions of the Contax I.
What's Ia? and If ???
Yes, there were several different versions, sometimes called 1a through 1f, although Hans-Jurgen Kuc, author of "On the Trail of the Contax" calls them types 1-6. Anyway the cameras morphed a bit over time- the earliest versions did not incorporate shutter speeds below 1/25 sec, and did not have the folding foot on the baseplate. Also, the earliest model or two had a traditional rangefinder mechanism utilizing front silvered mirrors, rather than the slender glass prism design similar to that found in the Contax II and later models. The infinity lock button did not show up until the type3/1c version. Other than this, I think that the changes were largely cosmetic.

The oldest version is the model 1a, and exhibits one, or less commonly two, raised bumps near the front focusing wheel. Don't have a link to a web page that describes the various versions in much detail, but Cameraquest has some info http://cameraquest.com/zconrf1.htm

Last edited by dexdog : 10-02-2006 at 10:56.

Old 10-02-2006   #70
Xmas

Hmmm
Does taking them apart count or running a film through for frame space regularity? Though I still have more than 10 unused, & I only have filters in post.
Noel

Old 10-02-2006   #71
BillBingham2

And I was worried that it was just me with so many cameras not used. Most of them are from my father, but I am pairing down a few very shortly. Will post them here before going on EvilBay.

Thank God it's not just me......

B2 (;->

Old 10-02-2006   #72
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

If anyone is planning to sell a Spotmatic from their unused stuff in the near future I call first dibs. I need a Spotmatic and a SMC Takumar 50mm for something I'm wanting to do in the near future.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 10-02-2006   #73
biomed

I have a couple that I have never used - Pen F, Late model Zorki-4, and a Fuji medical SLR. This is not counting my collection of old Kodak and GAF folders and box cameras.

Mike

2016 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 10-10-2006   #74
gregg

They are all in use except an Olympus Stylus Zoom and Nikon FG. The Stylus went with me on a trip to Mexico this spring - the flash came in handy. The Nikon FG is currently in use by a friend's daughter for a high school photography class. They needed a manual capable film camera. Way to go school...

The other 7 cameras see regular action.

Old 10-10-2006   #75
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

All my cameras are in working order, and I've used 'em all to take real photos ("for keeps", as opposed to test) at one time or another. I have several seldom-used cameras (an OM-20 that was purchased as a spare body for my OM-4T; an Olympus Stylus zoom that I used on a trip through the Midwest of the US 10 years ago but has hardly been used since; an Olympus XA-2 I "inherited" from my mother that hasn't seen real use in 10+ years). I also have one dSLR out on loan with a friend of mine and a Canon S1 IS digicam that's mostly used for video rather than stills.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 10-10-2006   #76
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

None. I've put at least one roll through every functional camera I own. If I don't get to a second roll within 3 - 6 months it gets sold, traded, given away or what have you. Cameras that are bought knowing that they are non-functional have a different set of "rules" Cameras that are non-functional when I thought they were when purchased get recycled

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 10-11-2006   #77
Bryce

As of last night, none. Finally got the old Mamiya TLR out and actually used it. Seemed like a good oportunity to make myself smile at my own expense... That's me draining the still, and my co-conspirator Brady enjoying a drink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miscreants.jpg (218.3 KB, 33 views)

Old 10-11-2006   #78
DMG
waiting for friday

if it gathers dust, get sold it must..as yoda might say..speaking of which just donated a ricoh 500 to a travelling friend who will put it to use

Old 10-11-2006   #79
JohnL
Very confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
I *have* used all my cameras, all of them regularly at one time or another, but there are two that I only use rarely now: the EOS3 and the Nikonos III. I also am only occasionally using the 10D right now. Actually I'm trying to sell it to raise (some of) the wind for a 30D. The G5, the 5D and the M7 I use several times each per month on average.
Well, I wrote that back in July. Since then I sold the 10D but did not yet get a 30D. Not in a hurry. Maybe I'll wait for the x0D, where x>3. Maybe I'll take a deep breath and get an M8. The EOS3 and the old Nikonos are still just sitting there, but I don't feel I want to get rid of them ... not yet anyway. Would hardly get anything for them, anyway. If I do get an M8, will I still use the M7? Only time will tell ...

Old 10-15-2006   #80
edho
edho

I have used every camera I owned. I don't feel good if I have bought a camera and not to use it. As I use RF most of the time now, some of the cameras are now "retired" such as my Nikon F3, Ricoh GR1, Olympus XA2 and Konica C35. But they are still kept in good shape.