Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Is anyone jaded by new camera releases?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Archiver

Is anyone jaded by new camera releases?

We're nearing Photokina once again, and new cameras have been popping out of the woodwork. Nikon Z mirrorless, Canon R mirrorless, Fuji X-T3, rumours of a Panasonic full frame, the Leica M10-P.

In not so distant times, I'd be utterly thrilled by news of a full frame camera from Canon. Heck, in the hours leading up to the Leica M9 announcement I was feverishly refreshing the DPReview main page to see it, and when I was able to track down a M9, I literally screamed like a little girl to the perturbed salesman on the phone.

But now? So many cameras have been released in the intervening years, everything promising this and that, that I can't help but feel a bit 'meh' about it all. I'm actually happier for Nikon releasing the Z series because they have less resources than Canon and are even less diversified with their products. But that's as far as it goes.

I don't long to hold and fondle the EOS R, I don't drool over the Fuji X-T3. If anything, I'm looking at film cameras like the Pentax LX or the Fuji Tiara, and of course, fantasizing about an anthracite Leica MP.

Anyone else jaded by all these new cameras?

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Larry Cloetta

Camera technology long ago passed the point where most any camera I could buy could do anything I could possibly ever need a camera to do, and then some.

So, yes, personally a bit jaded, as my bouts of GAS are less frequent. Now plagued instead by TMC (too many cameras).
Not to say that I have developed total immunity to the blandishments of marketeers touting the latest pixel generating miracles in an effort to keep a moribund industry afloat, but have become more resistant.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I'll be waiting for Ricoh GR line news. They seems to know better how to make crop sensor, not overpriced and not overdecorated with wheels cameras.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Mcary

No can't say I feel jaded as I'm good with what I have right now and what I'm interested in as possible future 2020 purchases, the M246 or M10 have both been out for a while now.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
jamesmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Camera technology long ago passed the point where most any camera I could buy could do anything I could possibly ever need a camera to do, and then some.
I am with you on this.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
peterm1

"Is anyone jaded by new camera releases?"

Not yet. Keep em coming.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
michaelwj
----------------

Yep. Nothing I want or need, just more stuff for people to consume while throwing out the old stuff. It's all too good for me anyway, has been for years.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Dogman

On the one hand, it's good that camera companies continue to develop their products. On the other hand, I'd really rather we get back to the pictures instead of the tools.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
valdas

Neither jaded nor excited... Those are just toys. But we surely like toys, despite our age. What excites me are breakthroughs in health sciences, environment protection (e.g. energy saving). Cameras - yes, please keep them coming, but I am not changing my underwear because of additional zillion pixels in new "power/mega/super XYZ" (or maybe just another nostalgic retro name) camera

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hmmm, everything I could possibly want has been available since the 70's (OM-1, Pentax ME super, Minolta etc, etc) but if we are talking digital only then I gave up when 8 megapixels appeared, since then they've only been needed as replacements for failed cameras...

Regards, David

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I haven't bought a new film camera since the XA2, digital since a 10-years ago Sony P&S. If I said "jaded" that would be a level of interest too high.
Now a mint condition late 50's - 60's rangefinder gets my goose-bumps up.

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Timmyjoe

I'm more with David these days. I get GAS for rangefinders from the 1950's & 1960's and old rangefinder glass from the same period.

I realize the manufacturers have to keep coming out with the latest & greatest so they can stay in business. And I hope they succeed, but I'm not in that market.

I would be interested in trying a Leica M10-P with my 1940's Nikkor glass, but the kids college is a higher priority than a $7000 camera body.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
charjohncarter

I'm jaded, how do they make ISO, aperture, and shutter speed so complicated. I gave a Nikon N80 (I think) to a kid starting out in film photography. I had it and never learned how to use it so bye, bye. I hope he has the patience to learn the crazy stuff.

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Peter Wijninga

I have been off the GAS bandwagon for some time now but if you reject all digital developments in its entirety, you are looking at the future through your rear view mirror.

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I am still waiting for Zenit to Launch that Full Frame Mirrorless digital camera that was promised to us before I get jaded.

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/21/zen...s-camera-2018/

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Steve M.

There's been some interesting cameras that have appeared on kickstarter. Other than snaps w/ my phone, I only shoot film, so it's been a long, long time since any new cameras have come around that interested me. Over time I have found that an inexpensive film camera is more than capable of taking amazing photos. The weak link in that process is always me.

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
Veggies

The new MF Fuji has me excited.

Old 1 Week Ago   #18
aizan

i won’t be jaded until they finally make various types of cameras that haven’t been made in digital versions. hopefully cameraphones will force manufacturers to make all of these niche products.

Old 1 Week Ago   #19
zuiko85

As soon as electronics began to take over, about the mid to late 70’s, new model introductions haven’t interested me. And a LCD screen on a camera automatically makes me pass it by. When Canon introduced the rounded, ‘plastoblob’ look with the T90, and soon others followed, the new cameras, however competent, left me stone cold.

Still think my OM-1 is about the perfect 35mm reflex (for me).

Old 1 Week Ago   #20
Archlich

I see no reason to feel jaded just because I lack the urge to join the party.

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
nickthetasmaniac

Personally I'm quietly excited about the new releases, especially those from Canon, Nikon and perhaps Panasonic. I'm interested in full frame mirrorless for a number of reasons, but I've never really liked Sony bodies. I think some competition in that segment will only do good things.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Emile de Leon

Cameras are all good these days..
There is only so much camera overload that I can take..every 6 mos..esp at these prices..
Maybe the MF Fuji will be a temptation..probably not though..
They/Fuji should have made a rangefinder FF to compete w/Leica..
Probably didn't want to step on Leicas toes..

Old 1 Week Ago   #23
Peter_S

I do wish there was more sustainability behind products, but on the bright side, we do have a healthy used market for digital cameras.

What I find great are the developments of dedicated B/W cameras by Leica and Phase One in the recent years, the new wind in the MF sector - not for MP-count, but rendering. It is also great that Sigma is still in the game.
I do wish there was a bit more movement on sensors with no Bayer-filters/CFA.

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 1 Week Ago   #24
johnwolf

Once all the hoopla dies down, you're back to the fundamental question: How do I make a good photograph. All these breathless announcements don't help much with that.

John

Old 1 Week Ago   #25
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Wait, there's an M10? When did that happen?

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 1 Week Ago   #26
Scapevision

Yup, up here in the Great White North people are getting ready for October 17, so things looking pretty jaded alright.

Old 1 Week Ago   #27
ptpdprinter

Not jaded, just not overawed. It seems the camera bodies are still playing catch-up to Sony, though I can see the attraction if you are already a Canon or Nikon owner. Tribalism is strong.

Old 1 Week Ago   #28
irukandji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
Wait, there's an M10? When did that happen?
You should check it out, I'm pretty excited . Only 5 more years and I'll upgrade to a used one (I can't wait to try live view!)

Old 1 Week Ago   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
One all the hoopla dies down, you're back to the fundamental question: How do I make a good photograph. All these breathless announcements don't help much with that.

John
Yeah, exactly... I have good enough digital cameras (X-Pro2, X-E3, X100F) now that everything seems like an incremental upgrade for my needs. I don`t care about video at all, AF speed has been fast enough for me for a few years, sensors keep getting only a little better with each release, and everything just keeps getting bigger in the mirrorless world. Every Fujifilm release interests me, but not enough to buy... and if Ricoh updates the GR, that will interest me. These SLR style mirrorless cameras don`t do it for me. I still like RF shaped cameras even if I no longer care for manual focus. I like small soap bar shaped cameras with APSC or larger sensors and small AF lenses. Not too many of those are released. AND I most likely will no longer buy new, since bodies sell for 50% after 1-2 years.

Old 1 Week Ago   #30
joe bosak

Only jaded in the sense that these new things have much higher specs than my gear and cost a lot more, and i really don't need them and ought to focus on what i do have, which is perfectly adequate for my needs even though some of it is as low as 4mp. And yes, the new stuff rapidly spirals away from me with all the new and arguably needless capability and turns into a morass of excited reviews by people who probably don't really understand and much less are able to communicate how useful such new gear is compared to what i have (which they don't know, obviously ).

So yes, mainly jaded because it's hard to keep track of and "feel" what difference innovations could make when i don't hit the limits of what i have in any meaningful way (other than pixel-peeping). Pretty much the same with cars, computers, ovens, phones...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 1 Week Ago   #31
pyeh

So now it's "Have ALL camera makers alienated photographers?"?

Old 1 Week Ago   #32
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The only thing of any note over the last few years has been wondering when Nikon and Canon would join the mirrorles market which they finally have. It will now be interesting to see how long the DSLR as we know it will continue to survive so that's one point of interest that I will continue to follow.

My curiosity about Sigma's future remains because it is the only company that hasn't really followed trends and is still capable of surprising people. Considering that every niche on the market seems to be filled though they really have nowhere to go so I wouldn't be surprised to see them follow Cosina's lead and concentrate solely on lens manufacture.

Not jaded yet because there are a few unanswered questions.

Old 1 Week Ago   #33
shimokita
白黒

I was recently contemplating "less used gear" in the drybox... so not necessarily the same anticipation level as an upcoming spring break during college. I enjoy reading the product news letters and attending shows (CP+ for me every year)...

Not that I am looking or waiting for something... although if it's interesting enough. I did buy into the Fuji x-series and always check out anything new from Voigtlander, Ziess, & Hasselblad.

Jaded... not at all...

Old 1 Week Ago   #34
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
"Is anyone jaded by new camera releases?"

Not yet. Keep em coming.
Above is my earlier comment. I should explain. I almost never (perhaps never - note to self, fact check that) buy new cameras. But I often by cameras that are a few years old, second hand and now relatively cheap because a new "latest and greatest" version has been released.

New cameras = cheap second hand cameras down the line for people like me. Just like new cars = cheap second hand cars down the line for people like me. Both with cameras and cars I tend to hang onto them for far longer than many people do, which means I skip many generations of camera completely.

We would all do well to remember the connection between new cameras and cheap second hand cameras.

I mostly do not need "new' because "new to me" is quite good enough. I am happy with that situation but I understand how pro photographs chase anything that makes their job easier. And that is fine too. They presumably would never buy the new gear if it did not help make them $. Or at least be able to justify to themselves that this is what is happening (even if it is not).

But do I really value most actual features offered by the latest cameras?

Usually not really but some features I do think to have been absolutely worthwhile. Full frame? (Yes to a significant extent because I am used to full frame (film) perspectives). High ISO ability and dynamic range? (Yes particularly the latter). Better sensor image quality over all with fewer artifacts etc? (Damn right.) Image stabilization? (Yes definitely).
And some that are of less immediate value to me. Super fast focussing? (Hmm maybe not so much as I more often use vintage lenses anyway but of occasionally yes). Bigger files with more pixel count? (Yes perhaps, but mostly only in a "mine is bigger than yours" kind of way).

This is coming from a guy that still owns and uses a 10 year old + Nikon D700 and a 5 year old + Olympus OMD EM 5. And have no plans to change either. Yet! But one day I know I will.

Old 1 Week Ago   #35
bhop73

I'm not really jaded, I just don't care. The cameras I currently own are all I want or need.

Old 1 Week Ago   #36
teddy
Jose Morales

I don't care about digital technology any more when it comes to cameras. To me, the Fuji XE-1 is superb and good enough for 99% of photo situations. Then I got a Sony a7 from a friend as a gift - shoot it at ISO 100 all the time, in RAW. The pictures are 99% perfect.

The more digital stuff that comes out, there more I love my Leica's, Rolleiflex, Hasselblads, Olympus , Pentax, etc etc. My Leica's and Olympus OM gear compete against my time on hands. I feel privileged.

Old 1 Week Ago   #37
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
As soon as electronics began to take over, about the mid to late 70’s, new model introductions haven’t interested me. And a LCD screen on a camera automatically makes me pass it by. When Canon introduced the rounded, ‘plastoblob’ look with the T90, and soon others followed, the new cameras, however competent, left me stone cold.

Still think my OM-1 is about the perfect 35mm reflex (for me).
That's really good to hear ... I sometimes think that this is where I'll finish up returning to.

Old 1 Week Ago   #38
Huss

Once the Konost gets released, I'll be done. That's the one I'm waiting for.

Old 1 Week Ago   #39
jarski

Am somewhat jaded. But it’s more todo with being old to this hobby (seen announcements like this already many times), than something missing or wrong with these new systems. I suspect younger crowd who are very exited, are elsewhere like Reddit (?)

Old 1 Week Ago   #40
Ccoppola82

It isn't so much that there are new cameras are released. To me, I've really enjoyed the process of learning about exposure, composition, and what the camera/lens/film/developer can do together. It's forced me to dedicate myself to learning the craft on a much deeper level. I believe that experiencing that process and making the many errors involved in that process has built and will continue to build my skill set. I think some of these new tools make things so simple that one skips the learning process, thus robbing them of the experience and thinking required to learn the craft properly.

Instagram
Coppola_Art