Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Review: AGFA Ambi Silette (1957)
Old 07-09-2019   #1
eckmanmj

Review: AGFA Ambi Silette (1957)

This is an Ambi Silette, a 35mm interchangeable lens rangefinder camera made by AGFA Camera-Werk AG Muenchen between the years 1957 and 1961. Upon it’s release, the Ambi Silette was AGFA’s top of the line 35mm camera and would be the best featured rangefinder model they would ever make. Featuring a unique interchangeable lens mount with 4 available focal lengths and a clever viewfinder with automatic parallax correction and user selectable frame lines, it was a well built camera that offered comparable features to more expensive German rangefinders. It was sold in both Europe and the United States, but unlike many other AGFA cameras that were imported to the US, it was distributed by AGFA directly, and not through ANSCO.

Read my review to learn more:

https://www.mikeeckman.com/2019/06/a...-silette-1957/

Old 07-09-2019   #2
Solinar
Analog Preferred

It has nothing to do with the camera - but I especially enjoyed the image taken inside Central Camera. What a treat!

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 07-09-2019   #3
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post
It has nothing to do with the camera - but I especially enjoyed the image taken inside Central Camera. What a treat!
Thanks Andrew! I responded to you in the thread, but in case you don't see it, but the clerk behind the counter at Central Camera is Johnny Sisson of the Classic Lenses Podcast and the Vintage Camera Collectors Group on Facebook. I try to get up there a couple of times a year to visit him at work!

Old 07-09-2019   #4
johnf04

I enjoyed your review. My one of these also produces a mark on film - scans show a white line across most negatives. I believe this is caused by the winding spool being too stiff, when rewinding, putting excess tension on the film, leading to a black mark across the negatives.

John.

Old 07-10-2019   #5
wes loder
Photographer/Historian

Be sure to also check out my own commentary on the Ambi Silette. <http://wesloderandnikon.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-ambi-silette-agfas-most-ambitious.html> Cheers, WES

Old 07-10-2019   #6
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes loder View Post
Be sure to also check out my own commentary on the Ambi Silette. <http://wesloderandnikon.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-ambi-silette-agfas-most-ambitious.html> Cheers, WES
The Ambi-Silette write up by Wes is a very interesting read. He definitely has a lot of personal experience with both versions of this camera and its lenses.

If you are not up on the changes that eventually doomed the German camera industry, then it is definitely a must read.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 07-10-2019   #7
raydm6

Sweet camera/system! I though my vintage GAS was over but perhaps not.