Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital: Medium & Larger Format

Digital: Medium & Larger Format For all digital medium and larger format cameras - Hasselblad, Leica, Mamiya, Pentax, Imacon, film slrs with digital backs, etc

Old 06-22-2016   #81
Noserider

My thoughts; 2 cents and grain of salt etc...

Looks like the Rollei PQ-S technology finally got used/updated (making the leaf shutter go to 1/2000) although the narrow throat makes for fast lens designs challenging or not possible.
THIS MAY BE A MISTAKE
Ok you can do your optical calculations all day long but premium market wants speed for that Bokeh and a normal 80-90mm lens that is 1 1/3 stops slower than what you can find on any medium format this just ain't going to cut it at least at launch. If it was a 90mm f/2.3 or 1.8 I know the response would have been less er, Sedated.

A 35mm equivalent fast lens like a 55/60 f/2.3-2.8 or faster would be a stupid natural for wedding photographers. Zeiss and Schneider both made 60mm f/3.5 that covers (the Sch is a newer design but the Zeiss is quite good apparently) and has built in shutters.

All of the Gallery photos are static!!!
Hey looks like a great camera when all you can think of for the ""fashion shoot"" is to put the model up against a background and say 'stand there'. I guess its important to showcase that Exciting Swedish camera. BORING

Old 06-22-2016   #82
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by k__43 View Post
To be honest I find that thing awesome .. not that I could buy one. It looks a bit like a digital Mamiya 7.
My fear is battery burn by the lots of data that needs processing and the limited space for a big battery. Also focus speed - with that size of sensor you need to be more precise so I bet it's slower than I'd like it to be.
Hasselblad has the best AF in the market. Google Hasselblad True Focus.

Old 06-22-2016   #83
hausen

Think I will wait until someone tests long exposure capabilities, if it doesn't heat up to much I am in.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 06-22-2016   #84
BlackXList

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Wow:

This has me chuckling, look at it next to the "it's not massive honest" SL.

I don't mind the look at all, I'd much prefer it in black.

The lenses are pretty hefty (I am fully aware that that goes with the territory) which somewhat affects the "it's so small" factor.

I'm not about to be buying Digital MF any time soon, but as much as I like it, and am looking forward to seeing what comes from it, I'm not sure I could justify it over the Pentax

Old 06-22-2016   #85
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
The lenses are pretty hefty (I am fully aware that that goes with the territory) which somewhat affects the "it's so small" factor.
I don't know about that, the 45 looked to be about the same size as a Nikon 85mm 1.8G which to me is small enough and balances really well. Besides, they may be fairly light since that was the goal of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserider View Post
Looks like the Rollei PQ-S technology finally got used/updated (making the leaf shutter go to 1/2000) although the narrow throat makes for fast lens designs challenging or not possible.
THIS MAY BE A MISTAKE
Right....so how do you know there are not faster lenses with a slower shutter speed in the works like a 70mm 2.8 that tops at 1/1,000th?

Also, H lenses will work with it with an adapter, slower top shutter speed but faster aperture.

Old 06-22-2016   #86
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Hasselblad's philosophy seems to be to walk quietly and carry a big stick. I would like to know how long this gem has been in the wings because this would have taken quite some time to develop and all the horribly overpriced wooden gripped re-badged abominations they have offered lately can now be forgotten and forgiven.

I definitely like that they didn't go down the Fuji route with the months of tantalising teasers ... and wanky ads in the style of the dross that Nikon used for it's DF and I also really like that for anyone who has owned an old 500c or similar it is unmistakably a Hasselblad.

As for the camera itself ... a little like Volkswagon cramming the engine out of a Veyron into a Golf!

Old 06-22-2016   #87
FrozenInTime

I see Hasselblad are currently running a TV advert for the V series digital back.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ASxb/2016-vo...aron-van-etten
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 06-22-2016   #88
texchappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
I see Hasselblad are currently running a TV advert for the V series digital back.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ASxb/2016-vo...aron-van-etten
And I thought that black color scheme from your sig was only on the Jonny Cash edition!

Old 06-22-2016   #89
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Images, i want images from this thing.
Ugly is sometimes very good. No need to have the lights on.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 06-23-2016   #90
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
Please name a smaller medium format digital camera with smaller AF lenses.

Old 06-23-2016   #91
vladimir
vladimir

Fantastic looking camera, it will be my go to landscape one. Thoughts of getting Leica SL evaporated today. My Leica M 240 will be playing second fiddle.

Old 06-23-2016   #92
leicapixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
I am amazed by Hasselblad's ability to consistently bring such ugly digital cameras to the market. They must be working with designers from hell.
Really?
I looked at the photos of New Hassie, on Ming Thein.It is incredibly nice looking in a true Swedish look.
Clean lines, compact, making Medium Format Digital at a reasonable price.
The camera that Leica with the SL (Sony Look-a-like) should have been.
I cannot afford this at $11,000 about, but for those who can, an amazing
new item. Lenses from many formats will probably be useable.
I am NOT a Hasselblad user, nor ever was, unless Agencies Made me use it!
I think a bold new move.

Old 06-23-2016   #93
Bill Clark

Selling price at B & H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...irrorless.html

Looks like lots of information to work with as this is about RAW format file size of each image:

RAW 3FR: 65 MB on average

Old 06-23-2016   #94
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Really?
I looked at the photos of New Hassie, on Ming Thein.It is incredibly nice looking in a true Swedish look.
Why? Leica has the S system, which is a superb kit for those who need "medium format" (really: "larger than FF sensor") with 35mm-like handling. Yes, it's an SLR ... I suspect that will change one day.

Having had the Sony A7 and having the SL now, they are NOTHING like each other. The Sony is a klunky little piece of junk with a decent sensor and an okay viewfinder to which you can fit Sony lenses, or other lenses with lots of compromises. The Leica SL is a very well built camera with superb performance that replaces the R system bodies and gives access to Leica M, R, T, and S lenses as well as its own line of new lenses. Its styling cues are a cross between the Leicaflex SL and the R8, but it's trimmer than either and more functional.

None of which detracts from the new Hasselblad either. It's a more expensive body with a bigger sensor, more megapixels, and less lens versatility. The price is, understandably, higher: it's in the Leica S ballpark.

I would buy the Hasselblad with a 22mm lens of quality similar to the SWC's Zeiss Biogon 38mm. It will then be a digital replacement for my SWC. :-)

G

Old 06-23-2016   #95
Bill Clark

Price of Leica S at B & H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_format.html

Old 06-23-2016   #96
giganova

50MP, smaller than a Nikon and half the price of a Leica S -- amazing!

I love the design, too, simple, elegant industrial design.

Old 06-23-2016   #97
maitani

very interesting camera that will challenge the pricing models of small sensor "pro" cameras, also the expensive digibacks like phase one etc.

Old 06-23-2016   #98
maggieo
More Deadly

If I were shooting commercial work for editorial and billboards, I would have a hard time deciding between the Hassie and the Leica S.

FWIW, I think the X1D looks fantastic, a worthy successor to their classic film bodies and backs.

And just look at that glorious sensor in such a tidy package!

Quote:
Wow:

Old 06-23-2016   #99
drinkingeye

uuuuuuuh..... my new SL 601 will go back to the vendor.... A real Hasselblad made in Sweden after all these years.... Impressive package of technology and design! Kudos to the Hasselblad board for finding the way back to the legend. I hope they will be economically successful to go ahead with this strategy. I always felt like crying seeing that Hassy branded Sony with luxury wood. This time seems to be over now.

Canon 7s, Canonet Giii 17, FED 2, Zorki 4, Yashica Lynx 14
Hassy H1 H3DII
501c, Bessa III 667, Pentacon Six TL, Plaubel Makina 67, Bronica RF
Leica III,IIIc,IIIf, M9, M Monochrom, MP, M6TTL, M4, M2, M3
Pentax (D)SLR

Old 06-23-2016   #100
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Really?
I cannot afford this at $11,000 about, but for those who can, an amazing
new item. Lenses from many formats will probably be useable.
I am NOT a Hasselblad user, nor ever was, unless Agencies Made me use it!
I think a bold new move.
agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter? i think this is a pretty big strategic issue that has so far not been explored. i really want help to understand the benefits/detriments of this decision. since no other mirrorless camera system to date has made this choice, and since that choice effects useage, i hope it is thoroughly discussed so that people like me can fully understand the choice theyre making in committing to this system.

Old 06-23-2016   #101
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter?
I doubt that adaptable lenses are that much on a professional medium format photographers mind - the more so when it comes to compact highly integrated bodies. The (relatively few) professional tinkerers will stay with the digital medium format view cameras they already have been using, as these permit tinkering at every level, way beyond adapting lenses from relatively similar systems...

Old 06-23-2016   #102
Luke_Miller

Quote:
agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter? i think this is a pretty big strategic issue that has so far not been explored.
Rumor has it that a future firmware update will provide an electronic shutter function.

Old 06-23-2016   #103
nongfuspring

Quote:
agree with most of this, but how can 'lenses from many formats' be useable when the camera does not have a mechanical shutter?
The Hasselblad adapter must have a built in mechanical shutter. So long as a lens can be adapter-stacked to that mount then theoretically it in turn should be able to use that OEM adapter's shutter.

Considering the flange distance that the adapter would have though, not sure how many lenses could realistically be adapted to focus at infinity.

Old 06-23-2016   #104
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongfuspring View Post
The Hasselblad adapter must have a built in mechanical shutter.
Must it? As far as I am aware they promise a adapter to provide compatibility with H lenses. All H lenses have a electronic leaf shutter.

Old 06-23-2016   #105
nongfuspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Must it? As far as I am aware they promise a adapter to provide compatibility with H lenses. All H lenses have a electronic leaf shutter.
Yes you're totally right, nevermind.

Old 06-23-2016   #106
rbelyell

thanks sevo. could you help educate me and others as to why hassy is the only mirrorless mfg who delivers a camera without a shutter? what is the benefit? what are the drawbacks?

Old 06-23-2016   #107
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
thanks sevo. could you help educate me and others as to why hassy is the only mirrorless mfg who delivers a camera without a shutter? what is the benefit? what are the drawbacks?
Hasselblad comes from a professional medium format background - and in studio (or other stage set) work (the main application of these cameras) a leaf shutter will work with flash at any speed, while the large focal plane shutters required for medium format usually are limited to little more than 1/60s, so most photographers prefer the former.

Some time in the 1980s Hasselblad released a heavily advertised sideline of focal plane shutter cameras within the V series, which is generally considered a failure (both on the market and in terms of reliability), so they might have simply decided from past experience. But they probably also did some customer research and determined that the photographers that would buy a camera explicitly for a FP shutter are outnumbered by those deterred by a lack of a leaf shutter or the cost of a dual shutter system.

Old 06-23-2016   #108
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
Fantastic looking camera, it will be my go to landscape one. Thoughts of getting Leica SL evaporated today. My Leica M 240 will be playing second fiddle.
amen to that

Old 06-23-2016   #109
BlackXList

Quote:
Please name a smaller medium format digital camera with smaller AF lenses.
That's not really my point. It's like with the Sony cameras, a lot of people feel the size differential is less when it has a lens on it, because some of the lenses are beefy.

It's not a criticism of the Hassleblad as such, just a reaction to seeing the body only photo Vs the body with lens photo.

Old 06-23-2016   #110
Noserider

Yeah not that impressed with that 90mm f/4.5; consider that Rollei had/has the 110mm/2 Zeiss with between the lens shutter (something not able to do with the mirrored Hassie FE lens) as well as the Xenotar 80mm/2 with shutter so I KNOW that at least a 2.8 would be realistic as a normal lens. 4.5 is a joke for a Normal

Old 06-23-2016   #111
d__b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserider View Post
Yeah not that impressed with that 90mm f/4.5; consider that Rollei had/has the 110mm/2 Zeiss with between the lens shutter (something not able to do with the mirrored Hassie FE lens) as well as the Xenotar 80mm/2 with shutter so I KNOW that at least a 2.8 would be realistic as a normal lens. 4.5 is a joke for a Normal
The 90mm lens seems to be f/3.2 actually which is not too bad. I think they were going for compactness over speed.

Old 06-23-2016   #112
minnichphoto

I am going to wait for the "correspondent edition".

Old 06-23-2016   #113
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Yellow Flag - Caution Photokina Ahead

Photokina is just a few months away folks!

Who knows what new digital medium format systems will be introduced there?

Rather than rushing out to buy that new Hassy - which looks great!

It might be wise to wait and see what Santa Claus Photokina has to tempt your fancy!

Old 06-23-2016   #114
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Was looking at the size of the body. It slots right in between the Leica SL and the Leica M/M-P typ 240 but all three are really quite similar:
Hasselblad X1D dimensions: 150x98x71 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Leica SL Typ 601 dimensions: 147x104x39 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Leica M dimensions: 139x80x42 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
Info from CameraSize.com
A composite of four view of all three cameras:

Hasselblad X1D is 2% (3 mm) wider and 6% (6 mm) shorter than Leica SL Typ 601.
Hasselblad X1D is 82% (32 mm) thicker than Leica SL Typ 601.
Hasselblad X1D [725 g] weights 14% (122 grams) less than Leica SL Typ 601 [847 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Hasselblad X1D is 8% (11 mm) wider and 23% (18 mm) taller than Leica M.
Hasselblad X1D is 69% (29 mm) thicker than Leica M.
Hasselblad X1D [725 g] weights 7% (45 grams) more than Leica M [680 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).
Info from CameraSize.com
The SL24-90 zoom is of course quite large, and there's no comparable X1D lens at present.
I'll have to measure my SWC to see how it compares to the X1D with its lenses.

G

Old 06-23-2016   #115
dave lackey

I absolutely love it!

BH Photo has a less than 9k price. Seems cheap compared to the H4 my friend tried to sell me in 2008 during the real estate bust. I could not afford it then (25k) and he committed suicide the next day because he lost everything in The Recession.

I love the look and size but not one to ever afford such a thing, I would love a Hassy like this!

Dave

Old 06-23-2016   #116
Emile de Leon

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/h...-preview-29506

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/22/ha...asselblad-x1d/

Old 06-23-2016   #117
FrozenInTime

The problem with the X-pan was that there were no fast lenses.
If it had a M-mount both wide native and fast 3rd party lenses could have been used.

The X1D has the same issue - so the traveller needs to carry two camera systems : MF/slow and FF/fast.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 06-23-2016   #118
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

One thing that really amazes me with this camera is the fact that it comes in at two and a half grand more than the latest Pro Nikon body ... the D5!

I realise these two cameras are pretty well at cross purposes in their intentions but I still feel that for what it is it's not hugely expensive.

Old 06-23-2016   #119
Ronald M

`Blad obviously is having trouble selling expensive gear, so they are trying to compete with Canon and Nikon. Lots of luck

Old 06-24-2016   #120
leicapixie

My original comment was that I liked the new camera.
In actual size dept., availability of lenses, actual usability,
the Leica M is still a long way ahead.
Competing with Canon and Nikon a bad idea..
Truth tell, all of you, using smaller formats( Panasonic-Olympus etc.) have nothing to fear.
I remember reading a piece where a Canon-G compact was matched against a Phase One.
Ctein asked a number of pro folks which was compact, which Phase One.
Only two I think got it right, looking at actual prints!
All the best to Hassie.

Last edited by leicapixie : 06-24-2016 at 07:04. Reason: all in place of you.