Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital: Medium & Larger Format

Digital: Medium & Larger Format For all digital medium and larger format cameras - Hasselblad, Leica, Mamiya, Pentax, Imacon, film slrs with digital backs, etc

Fuji Rumor - Medium Format less than Hassy
Old 06-29-2016   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Fuji Rumor - Medium Format less than Hassy

maybe Photokina, intro with 3 lenses, 50MP CMOS
lots less than the Hassy XD1

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-m...asselblad-x1d/

time, eh Photokina, will tell

Old 06-29-2016   #2
Huss

Makes sense. Fuji has built some fantastic MF film cameras, including the GW690III that I have been using. So this would be a natural progression.
Better than the crop sensor cameras they have that have had many longing for more. Now this would be a lot more!

Old 06-29-2016   #3
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Did Fuji fall out with Hasselblad? What will that mean for the H series?

Old 06-29-2016   #4
taemo

considering the xpro2 is 2000 cad$, im guessing Fuji's MF will be 3-4K.
if it is, i might be cery tempted on getting one.

tbh brilliant move by fuji investing on aps-c and then skipping FF and providing MF instead.

Old 06-29-2016   #5
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
considering the xpro2 is 2000 cad$, im guessing Fuji's MF will be 3-4K.
It will be more - medium format systems are a much smaller niche, with high demands on service that have to be factored in, and Fuji are not really that much cheaper at production than Hasselblad (FWIW, for Hasselblad the XD1 indeed is a comeback as a camera manufacturer, after selling Fuji cameras for 15 years - and while Fuji sold the H series under their own brand domestically, the prices were not that far off the Hasselblad ones).

Old 06-29-2016   #6
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I can't see Canon and Nikon letting this happen without offering an alternative of their own. They do seem very locked into the 35mm DSLR train of thought but you never know!

Old 06-29-2016   #7
mfogiel

Please, wake me up when someone makes a 6x9cm mirrorless with 1Giga pixel resolution, so that I can use it instead of my scanner.

Old 06-30-2016   #8
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Please, wake me up when someone makes a 6x9cm mirrorless with 1Giga pixel resolution, so that I can use it instead of my scanner.

Wake me up so I can use it for street photography :-p

www.stillthrill.com

Old 06-30-2016   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I can't see Canon and Nikon letting this happen without offering an alternative of their own.
They did not offer any camera upward of photojournalism back in the film days, leaving the entire pro market to others - which appears to have stuck with them. Even though the lack of alternatives had them grow into the pro market in the past decade, they still do not even make a dedicated professional (non-PJ, non-handheld, studio biased) camera. So that obviously is no market that matters to them financially. I guess the entire pro market might be unprofitable relative to their consumer DSLR business - and while PJ cameras are reputation building among consumers and hence profitable even if they often are supposed to sell at a loss, they might well be right in not expecting similar effects from (almost invisible) studio cameras.

Old 06-30-2016   #10
mani

Seems like a rumor of a rumor of a camera that may possibly be announced later in the year...

Old 06-30-2016   #11
jsrockit

It will still be too expensive for me. Considering how many FF 35mm cameras still top the $3000 mark, I can't see this camera being less than $6000 or so. Additionally, these medium format sensors aren't that huge. I'd love to see a 6x6cm sensor in one of these bodies... but I guess we are still many years away from this.

Old 06-30-2016   #12
taemo

the 645z body is 7k usd$ so yes this fuji might be (imo) 5-6k, wishful thinking is 3-4 bit highly doubt it at this point

Old 06-30-2016   #13
Scapevision

wow, whaaaat? A Fujifilm camera priced less than a Hasselblad???!!!

Old 06-30-2016   #14
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
They did not offer any camera upward of photojournalism back in the film days, leaving the entire pro market to others - which appears to have stuck with them. Even though the lack of alternatives had them grow into the pro market in the past decade, they still do not even make a dedicated professional (non-PJ, non-handheld, studio biased) camera. So that obviously is no market that matters to them financially. I guess the entire pro market might be unprofitable relative to their consumer DSLR business - and while PJ cameras are reputation building among consumers and hence profitable even if they often are supposed to sell at a loss, they might well be right in not expecting similar effects from (almost invisible) studio cameras.
Nikon did make a wide range of LF glass a few years back.

B2 (:->

Old 06-30-2016   #15
SaveKodak

I am FIRMLY in the believe it when I see it camp. Not that I wouldn't think it's great. Medium format needs a resurgence beyond the ultra-high end. Something Pentax doesn't get enough credit for IMO... No way this will cost less than $6k though. There was a rumor that the 50mp CMOS ALONE is $4k.

Old 06-30-2016   #16
brennanphotoguy

The sensor alone is $4k if I'm not mistaken. If anything comes of this rumor then my guess is it'll be around the 645Z price range. I think they lowest price they'd be able to go for just the body is $6k.

Old 06-30-2016   #17
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

My prediction: $5,995 for the body, $1,695 - $2,495 range for standard primes.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 06-30-2016   #18
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
Nikon did make a wide range of LF glass a few years back.
Not a camera, though, and actively marketing recently developed LF lenses only happened for a few years between 85 and 90 - before that they had been a OEM only, and after that they ceased to present anything new and fell back behind Schneider and Rodenstock again...

Old 06-30-2016   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
My prediction: $5,995 for the body, $1,695 - $2,495 range for standard primes.

for my wallet that is.

Old 06-30-2016   #20
BillBingham2

Quote:
Not a camera, though, and actively marketing recently developed LF lenses only happened for a few years between 85 and 90 - before that they had been a OEM only, and after that they ceased to present anything new and fell back behind Schneider and Rodenstock again...
Not a large enough market. I'm sure there are folks like me who are have a LF camera from over 50 years ago that does everything I need.

I'm wondering if there is a market for a reasonable resolution but full 4x5 frame digital back. If larger pixels are important what about a 24MP back? Perhaps a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 back breathing life into this old baby graphics.

B2 (;->

Old 06-30-2016   #21
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Not a large enough market. I'm sure there are folks like me who are have a LF camera from over 50 years ago that does everything I need.

I'm wondering if there is a market for a reasonable resolution but full 4x5 frame digital back. If larger pixels are important what about a 24MP back? Perhaps a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 back breathing life into this old baby graphics.

B2 (;->
Check these out http://www.largesense.com/

Old 06-30-2016   #22
Spanik

Quote:

B2 (;->
That's almost discrete electronics these days Dalsa made a 70mmx70mm sensor years ago, they even stopped offereing it. Larger sensors than that have been made for scientific purposes.

Old 06-30-2016   #23
BlackXList

Quote:
, they still do not even make a dedicated professional (non-PJ, non-handheld, studio biased) camera. So that obviously is no market that matters to them financially. I guess the entire pro market might be unprofitable relative to their consumer DSLR business - and while PJ cameras are reputation building among consumers and hence profitable even if they often are supposed to sell at a loss, they might well be right in not expecting similar effects from (almost invisible) studio cameras.
I'm not quite sure what you're wanting from them here?

Are you meaning they don't make a Medium Format body?

Because I'm pretty sure they all have tripod mounts, so they don't have to be handheld, or used for photojournalism.

In the cases of the 5DS/5DSR/D800e I'd say that using a tripod almost becomes a neccesity. In the case of the Canons, the limited ISO range really marks them out as aimed at Studio use, and of course for many years most of them have tethered if that kind of thing is desirable.

Canon is apparently working on a Medium Format option, I'm sure Nikon is/has looked into it (I don't follow).

Old 06-30-2016   #24
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
Very cool, VERY VERY COOL!

Gotta keep my eye on them.

While I like the size of a baby, I already own a couple of 4x5s (Kodak View, Crown Graphic, and a Graflex SLR of sorts) that would be FUN.

Have a safe happy and fun 4th.

Thanks for sharing.

B2 (;->

Old 06-30-2016   #25
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
That's almost discrete electronics these days Dalsa made a 70mmx70mm sensor years ago, they even stopped offereing it. Larger sensors than that have been made for scientific purposes.
I was pretty sure they did, but the key to keeping costs down is volume, volume and VOLUME.

I wonder if you made the chips for color, but then took the ones that were not perfect and could convert them to B&W?

If the cost was reasonable enough you could see a resurgence of LF photography, perhaps not as large, but very similar to was CV did a decade or so ago......

B2 (;->

Old 07-01-2016   #26
willie_901

Quote:
I can't see Canon and Nikon letting this happen without offering an alternative of their own. They do seem very locked into the 35mm DSLR train of thought but you never know!
Given their past and current track records, I doubt Canon's and Nikon's business groups can respond to any new challenges that could erode their market share.

Canon still imaging is benefits by being part of a huge corporation (just as does Fujifilm). But Nikon's stock reveals they are doing quite poorly as it's value halved since 2012.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-01-2016   #27
Huss

Quote:

They've had their heads in the sand for a long time now.

Here's the thing, even Leica with their SL has beaten Canikon into the mirrorless full frame market. Crazy, huh?