Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Mirror up or not?
Old 04-27-2017   #1
megido

Mirror up or not?

Hi
Is there really that much perceivable difference in sharpness when using mirror up?
I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F but would rather not lose a frame. If there is a worthwhile difference then I'll be looking at the F2.
Your opnions please.
Thank you

Old 04-27-2017   #2
Mackinaw
Think Different

Depends. When I’m using my 500mm telephoto, I find that locking the mirror up does increase sharpness. But I have to use a sturdy tripod too.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 04-27-2017   #3
megido

I'll be using a 105mm at most and an original Tiltall.

Old 04-27-2017   #4
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

It's a bit tedious but you don't have to drop a frame on the F to use the mirror lock. Yes, the manual says you have to fire off a blank frame and that's true. But do you remember the old trick about how to make a multiple exposure with a 35mm camera that doesn't have the feature? Ie. taking up the slack in the film canister, releasing the wind lock and then securing the rewind knob as you cock the shutter? Well, it also works with the mirror lock up. As long as you cover the lens before setting the MLU and releasing the shutter (set 1/1000 + f/16 to guard against leaks) you can get the frame back, as outlined above.
Cheers
Brett

Old 04-27-2017   #5
megido

Yes, i'm aware of the double exposure proceedure. I think though, I would only use that method as a last resort. As you say, it's a little tedious, especially if not really necessary.

Old 04-27-2017   #6
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megido View Post
Is there really that much perceivable difference in sharpness when using mirror up?
I'm thinking of buying a Nikon F but would rather not lose a frame. If there is a worthwhile difference then I'll be looking at the F2.
Your opnions please.
Back in the 1970s, when I was shooting with my SLR mounted on a microscope, the mirror lock up feature made a big difference in image quality.

One of the reasons I switched from the Nikon F to the Nikon F2 was because of the improved F2 mirror lock up feature.

Old 04-27-2017   #7
megido

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
Back in the 1970s, when I was shooting with my SLR mounted on a microscope, the mirror lock up feature made a big difference in image quality.

One of the reasons I switched from the Nikon F to the Nikon F2 was because of the improved F2 mirror lock up feature.
Hmmm, I wonder if that means there would be a perceivable difference in 'normal' (non microscopic) conditions too.

Old 04-27-2017   #8
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I've never intentionally locked my mirror up, except in testing.
When I have "fat fingered it" and inadvertently activated MLU
it's been a surprise and took me a moment to realize my error.

Chris

Old 04-28-2017   #9
Roger Hicks

Why not try it? Only takes two frames per speed. Put the camera on a tripod; focus on a test target or newspaper; twist the lock; shoot. Mirror stays up, but the slap is before the exposure, so that's all you need. There's your not-locked test. Twist the lock back to free. Shoot. Mirror comes down, but not until after the exposure, so there's your locked test. Repeat for whatever speeds you're likely to use.

Incidentally, when I rested this, I found that the lock-up wasn't working on the first F I tried. I didn't know that could happen!

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-28-2017   #10
megido

Roger, thank you for your comments. However, the question is really a precurser to deciding on a F or F2 as I don't own either. If there is no discernable difference in sharpness between mirror up and not then I would prefer a F. If thats not the case then it will have to be an F2 to avoid losing a frame or uneccesary tedious procedures to save a frame. Hope that's ckear!

Old 04-28-2017   #11
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Roger, thank you for your comments. However, the question is really a precurser to deciding on a F or F2 as I don't own either.
Do you have any manual focus Nikon? If so, chances are that you already have mirror lock-up, at least enough of it for your purposes. Among the "lesser" Nikons, all Nikkormats (other than the extremely rare FS) had MLU, and the FE/FM/FA series replaced that with mirror pre-fire on the self-timer. Which serves the same purpose concerning stability, but won't do for the other use of MLU, namely mounting deep-mount lenses that extend into the mirror box - the 21/4 Nikkor and one or two of their most extreme fisheyes.

Old 04-28-2017   #12
icebear

At what size are you printing the shots?
In other words, will you ever reach a resolution (as print size and viewing distance) that it will be visibly make a difference if you used mirror lock-up or not? Are you typically shooting handheld or do you use a tripod anyway?
I'd say for 35mm it's a nice to have but forget about it feature. Different story when you enter medium format...

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 04-28-2017   #13
megido

I would have entertained a Nikkormat had it no been for the non exchangable screen.

Old 04-28-2017   #14
megido

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
At what size are you printing the shots?
In other words, will you ever reach a resolution (as print size and viewing distance) that it will be visibly make a difference if you used mirror lock-up or not? Are you typically shooting handheld or do you use a tripod anyway?
I'd say for 35mm it's a nice to have but forget about it feature. Different story when you enter medium format...
I aim to print 12x16 maximum. I normally hand hold rangefinders (printing no larger than 8x10) The project in question requires a SLR and tripod. At what print sixe would you say mirror up would make a difference?

Old 04-28-2017   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

You should be able to see for yourself whether you get visible amounts of unilateral vertical motion blur with your current camera and specified parameters - any other type and direction of motion blur will not be mirror related.

Old 04-28-2017   #16
Fraser

With a 105mm lens you shouldn't need mirror lock up, unless your using a really bad tripod. Even then you can start the exposure with a black card in front of the lens.

Old 04-28-2017   #17
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Roger, thank you for your comments. However, the question is really a precurser to deciding on a F or F2 as I don't own either. If there is no discernable difference in sharpness between mirror up and not then I would prefer a F. If thats not the case then it will have to be an F2 to avoid losing a frame or uneccesary tedious procedures to save a frame. Hope that's ckear!
Sorry! My fault for not reading more carefully...

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-28-2017   #18
megido

No problem Roger.

Old 04-28-2017   #19
megido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
With a 105mm lens you shouldn't need mirror lock up, unless your using a really bad tripod. Even then you can start the exposure with a black card in front of the lens.
I'll be using an original Tiltall. Out of interest, what's the black card trick exactly?

Old 04-28-2017   #20
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Simply cover the end of the lens with an opaque card until you believe the movements have ended and then removing the card to allow light in . Peter

Old 04-28-2017   #21
zuikologist

Would that only work for B setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
Simply cover the end of the lens with an opaque card until you believe the movements have ended and then removing the card to allow light in . Peter

Old 04-28-2017   #22
narsuitus

Quote:
Image degradation due to mirror slap usually occurs between 2 second and 1/30 second shutter speeds. Faster shutter speeds are too short to be effected by the slap of the mirror. Slower shutter speeds are so long that the vibrations caused by the slap of the mirror effect only a small portion at the beginning of the long exposure.

Old 04-29-2017   #23
Alfonso B

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
Would that only work for B setting?
Wouldn't it also work on auto exposure measuring off the film?

Old 04-29-2017   #24
ruby.monkey

I would choose an F2 over an F anyway, if only because the F2 has its shutter release button in the right place.

Old 04-29-2017   #25
marcr1230

Just tried it on the F, you need to set the MLU button to up, mirror is still down, press shutter/take picture, mirror stays up, take as many shots as you want w Mirror up, then when done, turn button back to Mirror down and Mirror pops back down and you can see again

In practice , I've not used it on the F