Leica L1 and L2 ...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
anerjee

Leica L1 and L2 ...

Watches!?! ...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/le...l2-introducing

Looks quite a bit like some of the Nomos offerings.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
santino
eXpect me

I "hate" the idea. One step further to become a luxury brand for millionairs instead of the best maker of cameras and lenses for photographers.
Take a look at their 0.95 series of products - lighters for 800$ etc.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

So does the chronometer measure the amount of time the Leica digital camera is away for repair?
Ridiculous boutique addition for the once great marque.

Phil Forrest

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Waus

a €10.000 Leica watch-and some people are asking if Leica is still relavant...?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
dave lackey

Love it!

I will just wait for a replica, though.

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
dave lackey

I hope it sells very well! Like all corporations, the market is there, and Leica needs the money, it doesn't matter what they sell or how much, if it keeps them in business and moving forward, I am all for it. I cannot begrudge anyone selling boutique watches.

Now where is my lottery ticket!

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
brennanphotoguy

Not my cup of tea but if it helps their bottom line and allows them to continue producing cameras and lenses that I *do* like then I hope they all sell out on the first day.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
anerjee

I'll wait till Cosina gets into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Love it!

I will just wait for a replica, though.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Archlich

Quote:
I hope it sells very well! Like all corporations, the market is there, and Leica needs the money, it doesn't matter what they sell or how much, if it keeps them in business and moving forward, I am all for it. I cannot begrudge anyone selling boutique watches.

Now where is my lottery ticket!
To what direction would they "move forward" though? Business will always lean toward easy money. Let them get the taste of it once, and they'll never let go the feel of it.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Emile de Leon

Rolex..watch out...LOL.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
To what direction would they "move forward" though? Business will always lean toward easy money. Let them get the taste of it once, and they'll never let go the feel of it.
Leica has been luxury all along, this is a drop in the bucket as they do, and rightly so, have a high-end market. They can not survive any other way. They know what they are doing.

Can I afford them? No way. But that is not their problem, it is mine alone.

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
NaChase

The red dial version looks cool. Not gonna buy it (not that I could), but it looks cool.

RF Cameras: Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II, Nikon S2
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 28mm Elmarit ASPH, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

These are actually pretty serious watchmaking (relatively speaking), not some random watch with Leica logo. The movement is by a small German manufacturer, and the second-resetting complication is rather interesting. In the world of luxury watches, the price point is not that high (again, relatively speaking).

If they are serious about getting into this game, they'll probably be competing with A Lange & Sohne (semi-highend), Glashutte Original (mid), Nomos Glashutte (casual). I think their overall design language needs to be refined over a few iterations, but there is a potential, and hey Leica is not new to metal, glass, gears and springs.

Would I buy L1/L2? No. Too big for my taste and wrist, design not refined enough for what I expect from Leica, and too many competing watches in the price range. It's hard to go for this one over an ALS. Future model maybe in a few years? I won't deny the possibility.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Leica has been luxury all along, this is a drop in the bucket as they do, and rightly so, have a high-end market. They can not survive any other way. They know what they are doing.

Can I afford them? No way. But that is not their problem, it is mine alone.
But they haven't just been luxury all along. They used to be serious tools for photographers in nearly every newsroom in the world. Not just owned by the very well-to-do, but by normal working professionals. Same goes for Rollei, an extraordinary piece of gear for the professional photographer but also serious amateurs. They abandoned the working photographer market in favor of the very well off over the past two decades. They had been passed up by Nikon and Canon back in the 1960s. They refused to innovate in time for the digital sea change and came into the game a decade late with products that didn't have the reliability for serious full time photographers who weren't independently wealthy with an arsenal of backup digital Leicas. Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon passed Leica generations ago in the timeline of digital capture. Leica's customer service went the way of the dodo at this time as well. I'm sorry to agree that they know what they are doing but what that is happens to be sad for those of us who like the once-great marque. What they are doing is just creating jewelry which happens to make photos.
When I can use a Leica M9 with one of two ~50mm lenses on it, both representing the high and low ends of the gear spectrum and making the same image, then something is wrong. There is no reason for my old $16 Helios 103 to perform on-par, shot-for-shot, aperture-for-aperture, against a brand new 50mm Summicron.
So they do know what they are doing. They are pricing out those of us who defend or defended their use in spite of the arcane mode of focusing and loading so we can have a quiet camera. Now, we have quiet paperweights or quietly on hold while someone at Leica tells us why our camera has been out for repair for a total of nine out of twenty-one months.
I can still afford a Mercedes-Benz E300 Diesel. That's a car on the edge of executive class with very good customer service and excellent reliability. It costs the same amount as a new Leica M digital camera with a suite of three lenses. Don't even bring up the larger format Leica versions costing a significant chunk of what a decent house in Philadelphia does.
As one of the former working photographers that Leica abandoned I think the watch line is just a gross addition to their continued shift into the jewelry business.

Phil Forrest

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
But they haven't just been luxury all along. They used to be serious tools for photographers in nearly every newsroom in the world. Not just owned by the very well-to-do, but by normal working professionals. Same goes for Rollei, an extraordinary piece of gear for the professional photographer but also serious amateurs. They abandoned the working photographer market in favor of the very well off over the past two decades. They had been passed up by Nikon and Canon back in the 1960s. They refused to innovate in time for the digital sea change and came into the game a decade late with products that didn't have the reliability for serious full time photographers who weren't independently wealthy with an arsenal of backup digital Leicas. Fuji, Sony, Nikon and Canon passed Leica generations ago in the timeline of digital capture. Leica's customer service went the way of the dodo at this time as well. I'm sorry to agree that they know what they are doing but what that is happens to be sad for those of us who like the once-great marque. What they are doing is just creating jewelry which happens to make photos.
When I can use a Leica M9 with one of two ~50mm lenses on it, both representing the high and low ends of the gear spectrum and making the same image, then something is wrong. There is no reason for my old $16 Helios 103 to perform on-par, shot-for-shot, aperture-for-aperture, against a brand new 50mm Summicron.
So they do know what they are doing. They are pricing out those of us who defend or defended their use in spite of the arcane mode of focusing and loading so we can have a quiet camera. Now, we have quiet paperweights or quietly on hold while someone at Leica tells us why our camera has been out for repair for a total of nine out of twenty-one months.
I can still afford a Mercedes-Benz E300 Diesel. That's a car on the edge of executive class with very good customer service and excellent reliability. It costs the same amount as a new Leica M digital camera with a suite of three lenses. Don't even bring up the larger format Leica versions costing a significant chunk of what a decent house in Philadelphia does.
As one of the former working photographers that Leica abandoned I think the watch line is just a gross addition to their continued shift into the jewelry business.

Phil Forrest
Haha! Totally understand!!!

My mistake, by "luxury", I meant high priced. In the 60s, we were lucky to have a cheap Kodak camera and Craftsman tools. A Leica? No one in my parts ever heard of the name and could not afford it anyway. It was a high-priced luxury for working folks. Craftsman tools were always much cheaper than Snap-On. Never owned Snap-On tools either.

Leica today is not the Leica of yesterday. Nothing seems to be anymore... sigh...

But if Leica were not around, it would be a dismal photographic world, IMO. So whatever they do to stay alive is fine with me. I like their products... until they break.

Heck, I cannot even afford a "professional" Nikon kit. But whatever it takes for Nikon to survive, in this world where their income is sinking, so be it.

I will stick with my little X1, my lens-less R4, and FM2n. Not sure about the 6x6 Hassy long term as medical bills keep piling up... Come to think of it, Leica never made a dime off me. LOL..

Always bought used...

Dave

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
jonal928

That's fine with me.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
jonal928

Tough cookie.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
jonal928

No Words

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonal928 View Post
Tough cookie.

You actually posted pic of a watch and perfume?

Good grief. Leica is doomed.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
jonal928

Major Tom

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
jonal928

Quote:
Why are you being argumentative?
I'm Sorry For Being argumentative (I was born like that).

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
Steve M.

You can probably buy a Russian made knockoff for $10 that keeps correct time at least twice a day. Personally, I don't care too much what Leica does to stay in or out of business. My business is keeping me in business.

With the Leica watches, which I like very much (except that the watch face is too big, and out of scale with the band), you are paying for the name and the design. Ferrari does the same thing, and the Leica looks ten times better than the much higher priced Ferrari watch.

https://www.truefacet.com/hublot-fer...4R_D_BwE#email

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
Steve M.

This one is more for my budget, and with a different band would be sitting on my wrist right now if somebody could tell me how to tell time with it. Maybe the best design of the lot. Unfortunately, design and function seem to be miles apart. Maybe 120 miles :]

https://www.ebay.com/i/122777675832?chn=ps

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
santino
eXpect me

If I was a hipster dentist... I might bite the bullet

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I think it's a great idea, goes with their bags and other accessories. However, just like the cameras don't have sensor cleaning, the watches don't have Day/Date. The Leica Man can't be bothered keeping track of the day.......

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
Emile de Leon

The watch is big 41mm and fat 14mm..and..expensive..probably with lousy service and the Leica logo just looks plain stupid..like a fashion watch..
They should have made it thinner and smaller as its a manual wind..
The design is off too..
And..they should have put an ETA movement in there..so someone can actually service it..not some small rinky dink German mom and pop company..
There ..I said it..lol..
AL&S comparison..not even on the same planet..
Leica go home...stick to makin cameras..and servicing them in a timely manner..uhhh..sure..like that's gonna happen...
But hey..it will probably sell out..lol..

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
ptpdprinter

What's next? Hand bags and shoes?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
What's next? Hand bags and shoes?
Sunglasses and perfume...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
ptpdprinter

What is the attraction of a €10,000 watch that says Leica on it? Wouldn't you rather have a watch from a watchmaker, say a nice Omega?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
gnuyork

I love my Leica cameras and I am a total watch nerd...but this? No thanks.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
gnuyork

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
I think it's a great idea, goes with their bags and other accessories. However, just like the cameras don't have sensor cleaning, the watches don't have Day/Date. The Leica Man can't be bothered keeping track of the day.......
Actually, the L1 and L2 both have a date function, and the button at the 1 o'clock position is used to set it.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33
David Hughes
David Hughes

No point in getting hot under the collar about it all; other watches and cameras are available at a wide range of prices...

So, you pays your money and makes your choice, as we say.

Regards, David

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #34
kshapero
Photog

think I will stick with my watch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #35
Doug

Possibly in a competitive move, Porsche Design has introduced a line of watches that undercuts Leica's pricing, only $3248! Their 70th anniversary...
http://www.thedrive.com/news/21506/p...th-anniversary

"The new luxury accessory aims to embody all the sleekness and efficiency of the Porsche sports car." Hmm, which to buy?

Introducing an Brand New, Released June 2018 Mechanical Leica...
Old 5 Days Ago   #36
NickTrop

Introducing an Brand New, Released June 2018 Mechanical Leica...

... automatic watch! Leica now in the automatic watch game. Think I saw the price tag at round $11,000 US iirc. Sure. Why not? You can run around with your M-whatever, while sportin' a Leica watch. Maybe have a Leica "Members Only-like" wind breaker. Black of course, with a tasteful red dot somewhere. You'll be stylin'-n-profilin' (Wooo!) as you shoot those amazing gritty urban street scenes of the impecunious!

Me? I like automatic watches too and have a few but prefer to rock a Seiko 5 with a 7s26 movement (last forever without servicing), or a nice Orient etc. Maybe if Nikon follows suit and comes out with "a watch" I'll pick one up if the price is right and it's not a battery quartz (solar or kinetic quartzes are okay).

https://petapixel.com/2018/06/14/lei...atch-business/

Old 5 Days Ago   #37
css9450

LOL "Made in Germany"? I wonder how much of it is made in Germany.

Maybe Germany is where the watchband gets attached to the watch?

Old 5 Days Ago   #38
Contarama

Three words...so frigging what

Disaffected old man in a bar...haha thats funny.

Old 5 Days Ago   #39
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Its made in Germany. I read that the movement was made by a small German company, so its not an ETA-based watch like most Swiss ones are. Still, the price is just silly. If I had that much money to spend for a watch, I'd buy a Rolex, Omega, or Breitling. At least those brands are well known by everyone; and showing off your wealth is the reason to buy a $10,00 watch, isn't it? Waste of money if no one recognizes it was expensive!

Old 5 Days Ago   #40
mpaniagua

I suppose there is a market for everything. For good or bad, I dont belong to that market share but I'm sure those watches will be sold off pretty quickly.

I guess people that buy Porsche, Rolls-Royce and Lamborghini don't buy Seiko watches