Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

A New direction for Leica with Canon?
Old 08-21-2008   #1
navilluspm

Location: Among high mountains and lush forests of Regina, SK, Canada
A New direction for Leica with Canon?

This link was posted on Dpreview.

http://www.imaginginsider.com/?p=80413

I have a hard time believing it is true, but if it is true - this might be the best thing Leica can do to move forward. I use Zeiss lenses on my Rebel XTI, and it is a great sensor/lens combination. I can just imagine what Leica lenses, specifically made for a Canon sensor, could accomplish.

Well, it really doesn't matter for me: I could not afford a Leica/Canon, but I do think this would be a smart move for Leica and maybe bring in some extra bucks for Canon.

Old 08-21-2008   #2
Ray Nalley
-

You gotta love Internet rumors.

Old 08-21-2008   #3
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by navilluspm View Post
This link was posted on Dpreview.

http://www.imaginginsider.com/?p=80413

I have a hard time believing it is true, but if it is true - this might be the best thing Leica can do to move forward. I use Zeiss lenses on my Rebel XTI, and it is a great sensor/lens combination. I can just imagine what Leica lenses, specifically made for a Canon sensor, could accomplish.

Well, it really doesn't matter for me: I could not afford a Leica/Canon, but I do think this would be a smart move for Leica and maybe bring in some extra bucks for Canon.
A very vague email. I wouldn't hold my breath. Bad business model: a 1dsmk3 at $8,000 rebranded as Leica for another $8,000 ($16,000 total) and you still have a 1dsmk3 that can be bought for $8,000 from Canon.

Now if Canon rebranded the Leica M8, use the 1dsmk3 sensor and dropped the price to $3000 you would have a winning combination

Old 08-21-2008   #4
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Sounds like little green men to me.

Wait, it's true, it's true! I work for Canon USA. Nobody in the office believed it but it's true!

Hah! Unnamed source + unspecified details + unclear information = untrue conclusion.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 08-21-2008   #5
Tuolumne

Seems pointless to me.

/T

Old 08-21-2008   #6
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
So I can slap a Leica sticker on my Canon and quadruple it's "value?" Cool!
Not with that grammar you can't

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 08-21-2008   #7
ZeissFan

Here's how you know this is probably 99% idiocy:

"... In response to one of our posts that originated from the Leica User Forum where it was speculated that Leica was considering rebranding Canon DSLRs. ..."

Speculation ... hmmm.

Old 08-21-2008   #8
Rayt

If this Leica 1DsMKV will have a Leica R mount and if Canon can supply the USM technology and if monkeys fly out of my butt...and..

Old 08-21-2008   #9
ruben

It makes a lot of sense. Leica is after all a rather small company and there is a lot of logics in the believing they can not stand the expenses of research-upgrading-manufacture high speed market circles of the digital age.

Perhaps the times for a basic model with minor changes each decade are gone forever within the digital dishwhasher.

Cheers,
Ruben

Old 08-21-2008   #10
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
If this Leica 1DsMKV will have a Leica R mount and if Canon can supply the USM technology and if monkeys fly out of my butt...and..
yep. And if we have a full-frame D3 sensor which will eject a B&W Polaroid which will have autocontrast filters which are activated by a mood ring and...

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.

Old 08-21-2008   #11
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

It makes sense that Leica would team with a Japanese company that has some expertise they can use, much as they did when they teamed up with Minolta in the '70's. Minolta wanted the leitz optical knowledge back then. Perhaps Canon or Nikon can use some of Leica's current expertise. Or Minolta, or . . .

Surely someone out there wants to make a decent, affordable digital body we can use our Leitz lenses with!

Old 08-21-2008   #12
ruben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post

Surely someone out there wants to make a decent, affordable digital body we can use our Leitz lenses with!

An affordable camera is the opposite of what any partner will look in Leica heritage. Anyone merging with Leica will be glad to use the Leica name in order to stamp abusive street prices. Otherwise what big manufacturer needs Leica for ?

Sorry,
Ruben

Old 08-21-2008   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

A bad venture would be to have a Leica R accept Canon FD lenses.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-21-2008   #14
Al Patterson
Ferroequinologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I'd buy one of those to go with my FD 35-105 f3.5 zoom...

Canon QL17 GIII
Leica CL 40mm Summicron-C 50mm Hexanon
Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Old 08-21-2008   #15
bennyng
Benny Ng

I understand that the Leica R lens can already be used on the Canon EOS camera these days with adaptors that has electronic contacts. What's the big deal?

Cheers,

Old 08-21-2008   #16
David Murphy

It's not just a rumor.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 08-21-2008   #17
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
An affordable camera is the opposite of what any partner will look in Leica heritage. Anyone merging with Leica will be glad to use the Leica name in order to stamp abusive street prices. Otherwise what big manufacturer needs Leica for ?

Sorry,
Ruben
Pretty much all that needs be said. Leica's best asset at this point is the value their brand adds to any product. Some people may be unhappy with the panasonic/leica products, but I'm guessing the accountants at Leica and Panasonic aren't among them.

Old 08-21-2008   #18
nzeeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
Not with that grammar you can't
your sentence wasn't perfect either. it sounds a bit awkward because it has double negation which changes meaning of sentence in english. "with that grammar you can't" would be much better... :P

edit: hahaha i saw that i wrote "which is changes"

Last edited by nzeeman : 08-21-2008 at 22:19.

Old 08-21-2008   #19
Uwe_Nds
Chief Assistant Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzeeman View Post
your sentence wasn't perfect either. it sounds a bit awkward because it has double negation which is changes meaning of sentence in english. "with that grammar you can't" would be much better... :P

Best regards,
Uwe

My photos on RFF

Project Sunshine

My website

Old 08-22-2008   #20
ruben

Now, I think it will be a clever move by Leica, beyond whatever they mess in the digital arena, to dedicate some efforts to maintain a developing niche in the film market.

Cheers,
Ruben

Old 08-22-2008   #21
Migracer
"MigRacer&amp ;qu ot; AKA Miguel

Does any one know if Leica has a representative that monitors this forum,?

Some of my Pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/NASAevents

Old 08-22-2008   #22
Roberto

What I could believe is a partnership.. Or Leica using Canon sensor technology.
R.

Old 08-22-2008   #23
Charles Woodhouse
Collector,User,Repairer.

There was a much better world sixty years ago, and although I was quite young, I'm glad I was there. I'm sorry most of you missed it.

Old 08-22-2008   #24
Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Woodhouse View Post
There was a much better world sixty years ago, and although I was quite young, I'm glad I was there. I'm sorry most of you missed it.
Don't tell this to my parents!
They just survived WWII having many of their relatives lost during the conflict..
R.

Old 08-22-2008   #25
Ray Nalley
-

I'm glad Photokina is only a few weeks away. The flights of fantasy and wild speculation are clearly higher than in previous years. Micro 4/3 digital M rangefinders, Nikon M mount DRF's and now Leica rebadged Canon's. Strange times!

Old 08-22-2008   #26
morgan

Yeah, there are some seriously crazy rumors fiying around. I don't see why Leica would rebrand a canon dslr. Leica also makes a ton of money selling glass, so unless these cameras were changed to accept R lenses, it just doesn't make any business sense.

I could see a partnership similar to the Panasonic one, ending with a better sensor in the M8. But just re-branding a camera that they then can't sell anything else for defies logic.

RFF gallery
My flickr

Old 08-22-2008   #27
italy74

Have I to suppose that - for counterpart - Zeiss could be interested in joining Nikon?

Photography is the most beautiful way to discover God's fingerprint in the littlest and simplest things.

Old 08-22-2008   #28
Avotius
Some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy74 View Post
Have I to suppose that - for counterpart - Zeiss could be interested in joining Nikon?

oh please, everyone knows that whats really going to happen is that Canon will throw in the towel with Nikon and make a film camera with a white flag on it.

Just kidding, I hope Canon wows our socks off.

Old 10-13-2008   #29
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
If it's true, the final product will be both overpriced and overrated.

Last edited by rbsinto : 10-13-2008 at 07:12.

Old 10-13-2008   #30
Roger Hicks

Quote:
your sentence wasn't perfect either. it sounds a bit awkward because it has double negation which changes meaning of sentence in english. "with that grammar you can't" would be much better... :P
Shakespeare used double negatives for emphasis. The idea that one negative cancels out the other is a fantasy devised (as far as I know) in the 18th century and seized upon by countless tin-eared pedantic schoolteachers since. It should be a criminal offence to mislead pupils with this one.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-13-2008   #31
antistatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Shakespeare used double negatives for emphasis. The idea that one negative cancels out the other is a fantasy devised (as far as I know) in the 18th century and seized upon by countless tin-eared pedantic schoolteachers since. It should be a criminal offence to mislead pupils with this one.

Cheers,

R.
We don't need no education

MP, M2, M9, CLE
28 Ultron, 35 Summicron Asph, 35 2.8 Summaron, 40 Rokkor, 50 Summilux Asph, 50 collapsible summicron, 75 Summilux, 90 Rokkor
Rolleiflex 2.8f

Old 10-14-2008   #32
varjag

I've seen it sitting on the shelf right next to Nikon digital rangefinder, I swear!

Old 10-23-2008   #33
darvin2138

The new name would be LieNon... taken from... it's a Lie and None in existence...

Old 10-23-2008   #34
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I think Gabriel should have written "No, with that grammar you can't." That added comma (missing in his sentence) reinforces the negation without turning the sentence into a faulty one with a double negative.

Its all in the details!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 10-23-2008   #35
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
I do not not disagree with your non unstatement that isn't not above nor not below.

Old 10-23-2008   #36
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
I think Gabriel should have written "No, with that grammar you can't." That added comma (missing in his sentence) reinforces the negation without turning the sentence into a faulty one with a double negative.

Its all in the details!
Did I not miss nothing?

Old 10-23-2008   #37
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:

edit: hahaha i saw that i wrote "which is changes"
Irony is indeed a lost Art

Old 10-23-2008   #38
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Now, that'd just be silly. No modern SLR camera can accept FD lenses without an optical adapter to make it "focus" when at "Infinity".

Zeiss glass and Leica glass in an autofocus mount for my Canon 5D. Now that makes me slobber (is that a word?)

There goes the keyboard. I mean, not there it doesn't go.

Old 10-23-2008   #39
MCTuomey

I would be interested in Leica coupling digital white balance control with a mood ring. It could be a simple menu option, absent menu access issues, say, MRWB (mood ring white balance) adjacent to AWB. Hmm ...

Gabriel, the Cosina-produced Zeiss ZE lenses don't create even a corner drool?

My Flickr

Last edited by MCTuomey : 10-23-2008 at 09:37.

Old 10-23-2008   #40
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
I would be interested in Leica coupling digital white balance control with a mood ring. It could be a simple menu option, absent menu access issues, say, MRWB (mood ring white balance) adjacent to AWB. Hmm ...

Gabriel, the Cosina-produced Zeiss ZE lenses don't create even a corner drool?
If the ZE lenses are at least the same quality (image-wise) as the M-mount siblings, then yes. Very much indeed. I just wish their 35mm f/2 lens were a bit less...shall we say...SUV-esque?