Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Adobe Creative Cloud issues. Fyi
Old 02-13-2016   #1
bmattock

Adobe Creative Cloud issues. Fyi

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/13/warn...oot-directory/

Old 02-14-2016   #2
willie_901

Thanks for this important information.

It is useful to realize this does not affect the use of LR or PS CC. It only affects usage of the Creative Cloud Desktop App (link).

This means using LR and PS will not corrupt an OS X root directory.

But transferring and syncing files to Adobe's CC servers for sharing or back up purposes can corrupt an OS X root directory.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-16-2016   #3
ABrosig

Any information on how this affects the mobile version (iPad) of creative cloud app?

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 02-16-2016   #4
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrosig View Post
Any information on how this affects the mobile version (iPad) of creative cloud app?
It does not impact the iPad at all. It only impacts the OS X Finder based APP that transfers files to Cloud storage.

A new version of the CC App that eliminates the problem is available. If your OS X CC settings invoke automatic updating, it's should be fixed by now (assuming you've used your Mac and were connected tot the internet).
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-16-2016   #5
bmattock

I'm just trying to be helpful. I would not know Adobe (or Apple) software from a load of coal. I run Linux, I don't have issues with cloud storage.

Old 02-16-2016   #6
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
One more reason not to like the cloud. And I know I am in the minority.

Good it apparently got fixed relatively quickly.

Old 02-16-2016   #7
oftheherd

I worry about two things. Cost is one, although many are low cost or free, and most individuals will never have enough information they can't recover it to their home computers. Corporations are another matter.

Security is a big concern for me. Sure there is encryption. But that is getting easier and easier to crack. Either by hacking the cloud system, or piggybacking careless users. Also, the more information is consolidated, the fewer places that have to be hacked.

But that is just me.

Old 02-17-2016   #8
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
I'm just trying to be helpful. ...
You were helpful.

OS X users who used the CC desktop App to upload photos to on-line storage could have been affected by this bug.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

The Cloud Is Safer Than You Think
Old 02-18-2016   #9
willie_901

The Cloud Is Safer Than You Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
Security is a big concern for me. Sure there is encryption. But that is getting easier and easier to crack. Either by hacking the cloud system, or piggybacking careless users. Also, the more information is consolidated, the fewer places that have to be hacked.

But that is just me.
Consolidation also presents less risk because a single coherent, dynamic security system is possible. The expense of creating an environment with the lowest possible risk is diluted by economies of scale.

Careless users are the most significant risk factor. However careless, individual users rarely compromise the entire server site. This is not the case for corporations/institutions as single-user credentials provide wider areas of access.

Criminals and vandals will rarely bother to decrypt data with no economic value. What is their motivation?

Except for ransomware (which has nothing to do with Cloud storage), data on your systems is of little interest to the bad guys. They follow the money. Ransomware attacks on private individuals is almost always due to significant negligence by the individual. This negligence takes the form of easily guessed passwords or using out-of-date or insecure OS and, or web browser software and not bothering to back up data on a regular basis. With a trivial back up routine in place, ransomeware attacks on individuals are annoying but not catastrophic.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com