NEW MS Optics lens! 135mm f/2.4
Old 06-18-2017   #1
spaceistheplace

NEW MS Optics lens! 135mm f/2.4

There are some news about this new lens from MS Optics (Miyazaki), it's called "MS-Optics Aporis 135 mm f/2.4 Fluorit Super Apochromat" A long name, indeed.

Here's some info on the lens:

Ernostar-type optical formula
Fluorite element(s) provided by Canon Optron
Minimum focusing distance: 1.6m
Total length: 117mm (this is a long-focus lens but no a telephoto lens)
Maximum diameter: 60mm
Weight: 380g
Leica M mount
„148,000 (ca. $1,300) for the coupled version bundled with a 1.8x eyepiece magnifier
„128,000 (ca. $1,100) for the uncoupled version with spherical aberration and coma adjustment levers.

https://leicarumors.com/2017/06/17/m...-m-mount.aspx/

Raśl C.

Old 06-18-2017   #2
Jockos

Nice! I wonder who he bribed to get those secret sauce flourites from Canon

Da gallery

Old 06-18-2017   #3
michaelwj
----------------

My only wish is that he makes his lenses with the aperture ring to go the same was as the common M lenses (Leica, VM, ZM), it just seems like a PITA and just puts another barrier to my ownership.

Old 06-18-2017   #4
David Murphy

If this lens has fluorite glass as the above document seems to indicate, it is really quite special. Fluorite is legendary for its ability to correct for chromatic aberration
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 06-18-2017   #5
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Nice! I wonder who he bribed to get those secret sauce flourites from Canon
Flourite glass, while once a novelty, is commonly used in scientific and industrial optics these days. While not that special for custom optics, it is less common these days for mass produced optics due to its expense and the fact that it is said to be somewhat prone to fracturing when worked.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

Old 06-19-2017   #6
infrequent

Does anyone have any experience with his other lenses? Particularly the Sonnetar 50/1.1 or the Apoqualia G 35/1.4?? Thanks!

Old 06-19-2017   #7
furcafe

There are many threads on the RFF on those lenses (& others from MS-Optical). Go to google or other search engine & search within the "rangefinderforum.com" domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrequent View Post
Does anyone have any experience with his other lenses? Particularly the Sonnetar 50/1.1 or the Apoqualia G 35/1.4?? Thanks!
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 06-19-2017   #8
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
There are many threads on the RFF on those lenses (& others from MS-Optical). Go to google or other search engine & search within the "rangefinderforum.com" domain.
Cheers! Should have done that first.

Old 06-20-2017   #9
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrequent View Post
Cheers! Should have done that first.
Whatever ........

Old 06-20-2017   #10
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

With a second hand market flooded with Leica 135 mm lenses, - any Leica 135 from the Hektor 4.5 onwards is capable of excellent imagery- I doubt whether there will be much demand for this one.

jaapvphotography

Old 06-20-2017   #11
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
With a second hand market flooded with Leica 135 mm lenses, - any Leica 135 from the Hektor 4.5 onwards is capable of excellent imagery- I doubt whether there will be much demand for this one.
Same for the vastly more expensive Leica APO-Telyt-M 135/3.4, which this 135/2.4 APO seems to be on par with.

Small demand is normal case for Mr. Miyazaki as all his products are meant to fill niches. Little doubt that this lens, as usual, will be produced in very small batches.

Old 06-24-2017   #12
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Same for the vastly more expensive Leica APO-Telyt-M 135/3.4, which this 135/2.4 APO seems to be on par with.

Small demand is normal case for Mr. Miyazaki as all his products are meant to fill niches. Little doubt that this lens, as usual, will be produced in very small batches.
Miyazaki-san seems to understand this as well in that it is being sold by pre-order only. The fluorite glass used costs a pretty „ and this is the wiser route to prevent over-production for a low-demand item. Unlike his previous creations, this one looks quite hefty from the images on Bellamy Hunt's website.

In light of the 75 Summilux' cult following, an interesting 75mm might have greater appeal.

Old 06-24-2017   #13
infrequent

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
Whatever ........
Huh?! Unsure what you mean by that.