Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Is using of two identical lens silly?
Old 05-23-2017   #1
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Is using of two identical lens silly?

After selling of my advanced DSLR kit I have GAS on RF. As result, I have two digital M and two film M. But... with only one lens I'm finding practical and satisfying. This is silly, I think.

Both digital and film now required much less exposures to be taken, comparing to what I used to take before. Now I need dozen, two, maximum single 36 frames roll exposures per event comparing to hundreds.
I'm finding what spending time to learn about subjects, getting close and in the right moment with most comfortable and single focal length works better for me instead of zooms or changing lenses.

Due to this, I'm thinning of downsizing my Leica set to one digital, one film camera and two identical lenses to be able to take analog and digital exposures in similar style, but for different purposes. Not always, but periodically.

Is owning of two identical lenses silly?

In my case I'm thinking of second Summarit-M 35 2.5. Works great on film, fine on digital. Ergonomically it is the lens I really like.
The only time the f2.5 is limiting me is the portraits (environmental) taken indoors, but I like to use flash for it.

My second choice is twice expensive Summicron 35 ASPH, but I think it is even more silly to pay twice for 0.5f difference. Even if I could confirm what f2.8 vs 2.5 or f2.5 vs f2 makes difference sometimes for indoor portraits if no flash involved.

Old 05-23-2017   #2
Robert Lai

You're asking a crowd who likely own multiple lenses in the same focal length. So, we're going to be highly biased.

My highly biased view is that if this works for you, then you should do it.
Whether or not you want to get the Summicron ASPH is up to you.
The Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 M is very good, a lot less expensive, and bulkier.
But, it will give you 1 stop more than the f/2.5 lens.

Old 05-23-2017   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nothing wrong with having two identical lenses if you want to be able to grab either body at will and get what you want without having to swap the lens from one to the other, and you happen to like that particular lens enough. The more usual strategy is to have two lenses you want to use, one on each body, but this is by no means a requirement for sensibility.

The difference between f/2 and f/2.5 is almost a full stop, or a double the light gathering power for the f/2 lens. That means, for instance, that instead of ISO 1600, you can use ISO 800 for the same light. How important that is to your photography... only you can say. It's more important with film and the older digital bodies (M8, M9) vs the more recent digital bodies (typ 240, 246, 262, M10) which have greatly expanded the sensitivity range, and also depends on how much of your photo ideas require the ability to work with the shallower focus zone of the f/2 lens when wide open.

G

Old 05-23-2017   #4
kxl
Social Documentary

First of all, if having identical lenses works for you, then do it. I personally would not own identical lenses because it os easy enough to move the lens from one body to another. Now, as for having 2 or more lenses with the same FL, I think that's practically a requirment here on RFF.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-23-2017   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

I thought that such a practice was mandatory to join RFF!!!
35mm lenses:
Canon 35/2,.....35/1.9, ...... 35/1.5, ....... 35/2.8 all ltm
Leica Summicron 35/2 M, Summaron 35/3.5 ltm
Zeiss 35/2 M
Nikon 35/1.8 ltm.

Come to think of it, but I prefer the 50mm lens as my normal lens over the 35mm lens.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-23-2017   #6
Huss

I don't think it is silly at all if you like that lens, and you are shooting film and digital at the same time. You can't be juggling lenses.
A little more speed is handy for film, so you may want a 35 1.4 lens for that. The CV 35 1.4 is an option, as is the 35 1.2 (both 'cheap' used), then the ZM 35 1.4 (pricier). But still much cheaper than the Leica options.

To show I'm in the same boat, I love the Nikkor 50 1.8G. For a lightweight plastic piece o junk (!) it really is excellent. I use it on my F6, F100 and D750. I'm thinking of getting another so I can use it at the same time on my F6 and D750.

Old 05-23-2017   #7
Ranchu
-

If you have a lens you like, there's nothing wrong with having another. Heh.

Old 05-23-2017   #8
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Not silly, but I'm justifying this as I have 2x 35 summicron ver.1's (canada and germany), as well as multiple 50mm Summiluxes and 2x 50 Summicron DR's. I don't know how I got to this point, but most of it was just finding reasons to pick up good deals and like you said, having identical lenses on different bodies. I say go for it.

Old 05-23-2017   #9
ptpdprinter

I'm not sure why shifting from SLRs/DSLRs to Leica M bodies results in your needing to take fewer exposures for the same number of keepers, but it sounds like you are slowing down and being more deliberate. Since you are slowing down, perhaps you now have time to shift your lens from one body to the other. While having two identical lenses is convenient, its seems like an expensive convenience, especially since it is Leica lenses we are talking about. Really, it is your money, and only you can make the decision whether that convenience is worth it or not. I would buy a second lens with a different focal length for versatility, but that's just me. By the way, I have found that, when questions like this are asked, other people have no problem spending your money. I am actually a little surprised that no one has suggested that since you have four bodies you need four identical lenses. Think of the time savings.

Old 05-23-2017   #10
back alley
IMAGES

go for it!

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 05-23-2017   #11
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Thank you all!

Huss, I don't like ZM lenses handling, not at all. I also quit from heavy and bulky lenses.
CV 35 1.4 is build acceptably for me, it just my preferable apertures are not f1.4 or f2, but f5.6-f8 and last thing I need is focus shift on these apertures.

Old 05-23-2017   #12
Ranchu
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
By the way, I have found that, when questions like this are asked, other people have no problem spending your money. I am actually a little surprised that no one has suggested that since you have four bodies you need four identical lenses. Think of the time savings.
If I find something I like, I get another.

Old 05-23-2017   #13
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Pick up a 40mm summicron instead, it's far less expensive and will give you slightly different shot over the 35mm.

But I will say that the 35mm f2 summicron asph is the bomb

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 05-23-2017   #14
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

4x4 is valid point, right on the money, but not in my case. Two of four M bodies I have are not identical with another two. One is with 1.33 crop of the sensor and another has no 35 framelines at all.

Old 05-23-2017   #15
p.giannakis

I've got two AF Nikkors 50 f/1.8 - I use them both but i have to say that i got the second one as a bargain.

Old 05-23-2017   #16
newfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
The hoarder voice in me says it's only silly if you have only one camera to mount it

Old 05-23-2017   #17
Fraser

i quite often shoot with summicron v4 on m9 and pre asph on film m, almost the same lens.

Old 05-23-2017   #18
jsrockit

I wouldn't have two of the same exact lens... but two of the same focal length? Sure (even though I don't).

Old 05-23-2017   #19
ptpdprinter

Quote:
4x4 is valid point, right on the money, but not in my case. Two of four M bodies I have are not identical with another two. One is with 1.33 crop of the sensor and another has no 35 framelines at all.
Well, there's your problem. Are you planning on selling your M3 and M8 to fund the second 35mm lens?

Old 05-23-2017   #20
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I wouldn't have two of the same exact lens... but two of the same focal length? Sure.
IMO, BW film and Color digital are already two very different things. How same lens renders on darkroom gelatin silver print is different from how it shows the colors on inkjet prints. I do both.

But with Fraser comment it seems I might also consider Cron v4. If it works on M9, it will works on M-E. I'm just afraid to play lottery with buying of older Leica lens.
Fraser Institute is very trusted organization in Canada, BTW (by some ).

Quote:
Well, there's your problem. Are you planning on selling your M3 and M8 to fund the second 35mm lens?
Yes, at least M8.

Old 05-23-2017   #21
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Yes, at least M8.
How are you going to use a 35mm on the M3? Seems like you really need a 50 for it, rather than two 35s.

Old 05-23-2017   #22
FrozenInTime

Almost identical :
Had the 40/1.4 SC for several years and recently added the 40/1.4 MC
An experiment with the view to using one for B&W and the latter for digital.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 05-23-2017   #23
back alley
IMAGES

i have both fuji 23 lenses, the fast one for when i am in need of a big heavy lens and the slower one when i am feeling weak and am shooting in the bright sun of daylight.

i like multiple copies of gear, i normally have at least 2 copies of camera bodies, especially when i am deep into the shooting mode...i use to own 3 canon p bodies and 3 canon 35mm canon lenses of 3 different speeds.

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 05-23-2017   #24
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
How are you going to use a 35mm on the M3? Seems like you really need a 50 for it, rather than two 35s.
I sold 50 Rigid, 50 ZM Planar and 50 VM Nokton. I'm only using M3 now, because M4-2 is at repair by local Leica trained service person. I had goggled Summaron 35mm before, which is made for M3, but it was too bulky. I think, it will be better if I let working M3 go to someone who really wants to use it. I don't feel I need 50mm at all on Leica. Even if I really need it from time to time, my shimmed for FED-2 Jupiter-3 does it good enough of Leica.
Just as example:

Also, on M-E the 75mm framelines are constantly getting me disoriented, they are too close to 50mm framelines. But 35mm framelines are just right. Not too small as 50 and less and not too wide as 28mm.

Old 05-23-2017   #25
victoriapio

Having come from a photojournalist background, my working systems did not allow me the luxury of more than one focal length lens. So whether I was using an SLR, 2 1/4, or 4x5, I had lenses more or less equivalent to 20, 35, 50, 90 or 105, and for my SLR, 180 macro, 300 fast telephoto and 600 fast telephoto.
With everything gone except my Leica system, I have a 24 Elmarit, 35mm Bokeh King, 50 Lux ASPH (1st gen) and a 90 Summarit. Again, and probably a holdover from my professional days, what guides me in my lens selection is to have the smallest camera bag possible with lenses from 20ish to 90. With this kit I can carry the bag and camera all day long with no fatigue.
And while I have never owned two lenses in the same FL, more power to you that do.

Old 05-23-2017   #26
narsuitus

Quote:
Yes, because you really need four identical lenses for each of the following bodies:
1. B&W Leica film body
2. Color Leica film body
3. Monochrom Leica digital body
4. Color Leica digital body

Old 05-23-2017   #27
Dogman

I don't think it's silly at all.

That's coming from a guy who buys multiple camera bodies to fit different lenses.

Old 05-23-2017   #28
Roger Hicks

2 bodies

2 different lenses

How long does it take to swap lenses?

For example, MP and M9; 35 and 75.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-23-2017   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
IMO, BW film and Color digital are already two very different things. How same lens renders on darkroom gelatin silver print is different from how it shows the colors on inkjet prints. I do both.
Sure, I understand how they are different mediums. But personally, I would just change the lens from body to body and buy another lens if I wanted another lens.

Old 05-23-2017   #30
CMur12

Ko, I don't like to change lenses, myself, so if you intend to carry both cameras at once, it makes sense to me to have a lens for each, even if they are identical lenses.

- Murray

Old 05-23-2017   #31
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
2 bodies

2 different lenses

Cheers,

R.
I'm not big fan of constantly swapping lenses on cameras missing dust shake function. Sooner, than later sensor needs wet cleaning as result of it. On Canon 5D I kept same lens for most of the time. I feel comfortable with doing the same with M-E. Especially with Leica statement in the M-E manual disallowing DIY wet clean and demand for sending it to them for cleaning. Without specifiying how much and how long it is going to take.

Also I quit from swapping lenses outside of my home long time ago. Sometimes it is long way home to swap them.

Old 05-23-2017   #32
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
2 bodies

2 different lenses

Cheers,

R.
Much longer than not having to swap lenses.

Old 05-23-2017   #33
Huss

Quote:
I'm not big fan of constantly swapping lenses on cameras missing dust shake function. Sooner, than later sensor needs wet cleaning as result of it. On Canon 5D I kept same lens for most of the time. I feel comfortable with doing the same with M-E. Especially with Leica statement in the M-E manual disallowing DIY wet clean and demand for sending it to them for cleaning. Without specifiying how much and how long it is going to take.

Also I quit from swapping lenses outside of my home long time ago. Sometimes it is long way home to swap them.
Another advantage of having the same two lenses is that there is no pause in your shooting as everything works and feels exactly the same. The familiarity of the lenses will make them transparent in use.
One with the lenses you will become. Ommmmmm.

Old 05-23-2017   #34
ColSebastianMoran

Everyone makes their own choice.

My choice is two different lenses. For different effects.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing, more soon.
Photos, descriptions of for sale items previously listed here: this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 05-23-2017   #35
jsrockit

Well, no one can tell you how to spend your cash and what's right for your photography. If you truly feel that having two of the same lenses will allow you to do your photography better / easier / quicker / more comfortably, and you can afford to do it... then you should.

Old 05-23-2017   #36
easyrider
Photo addict

Jeez, it's a good thing no one asked this crowd whether it's OK to have two wives! )

Old 05-23-2017   #37
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
Jeez, it's a good thing no one asked this crowd whether it's OK to have two wives! )
Do you have something you want to tell us?

- Murray

Old 05-23-2017   #38
bobbyrab

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me asking, why wouldn't you change a lens outside?
If anything outdoors would be a better environment as there's no house dust which is largely dead skin.
I also think having only two lenses between your four bodies and having both the lenses the same FL [if I've read that correctly], indeed the same model is a bit mad, but to each his own I suppose.

Old 05-23-2017   #39
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrab View Post

I hope you don't mind me asking, why wouldn't you change a lens outside?
If anything outdoors would be a better environment as there's no house dust which is largely dead skin.
I also think having only two lenses between your four bodies and having both the lenses the same FL..., indeed the same model is a bit mad, but to each his own I suppose.
Not for four cameras. I'm going to let go one and if needed second camera to be able to have same or better lens for one digital, one film camera. Huss just nailed it in better English what for in post #36.

I don't think what strong wind with dust, snow and even light drizzle (but not always by the same time) is any better than just dry skin from my fingers. This is where I live, Toronto outskirts with terrible winds and dust from huge construction sites... This weekend I went to the first flea market organized by local Heritage park. Some came from inner parts of Toronto. They didn't know about local winds. One glass frame was crashed just in front of me. Some old lone standing trees here are asymmetrical. Branches are shorter and less on the side where freaking wind blows most.

Old 05-23-2017   #40
kiemchacsu

I even can't stand with having two lens with same *focal length*
But may be that's only me.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market