Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Frank Jackson on Street Photography

Frank Jackson on Street Photography I am happy and excited to announce a new RFF forum on Street Photography mentored by Frank Jackson, one of the best producers of analog B/W prints I have ever seen. His shows include the Open Shutter Gallery, Heriard-Cimino Gallery, and Ogden Museum of Southern Art. His images are in the collections of Smithsonian Ogden Museum of Southern Art, California Afro American Museum and Xavier University New Orleans LA. He has worked for or has been featured with Visa Card, Xerox, UCLA, Eric Owen Moss, Architect, Hasselblad Forum (cover),Gordon Parks, Muhammed Ali, Million Man March Wash. DC, Lionel Hampton, jazz legion photographer , 1995-2002, Stevie Wonder, B+W Magazine (British version) twice, Rangefinder Magazine, Dahon Bicycles, Arelli Wheels, Real Product Design, Automobile Club of Southern California. Frank's online images are at fotographz.500px.com and fotographzfrankjackson.tumblr.com . "While on this diverse photographic journey…I have to say during this whole time my love for fine art black and white photography kept growing. I always found time to shoot in different cities and my own personal work…this has sustained me through some very tough times. As of 2012, with the help of a very good friend I maintain a state-of-the-art dream darkroom. The darkroom helps greatly in the on-going practice of understanding “the light”, being able to process film and print drives me to keep my digital photography “organic”. I’m curious visually and shooting what’s, what on the street feeds this curiosity. Everyday I walk out my front door to “see” the world with a digital camera, a film camera, the “cup” and an open mind (mostly).

Closed Thread

What happened to Ned?
Old 10-24-2015   #1
creenus

What happened to Ned?

His thread seems to be gone. Anyone know what happened?

I really enjoy his images.

Old 10-24-2015   #2
FrankS

Love his photography too!

photography makes me happy

Old 10-24-2015   #3
kuuan
plays with lenses

great photography for sure

Old 10-24-2015   #4
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Ned and RFF have gone in different directions.

I wish him well.

Old 10-24-2015   #5
FrankS

Sunny ways, my friend!

Old 10-24-2015   #6
Erik van Straten

I loved his images too. I really wonder what happened.

Erik.

Old 10-24-2015   #7
KM-25

Ned and I share the same views of online photo communities, they are to be taken in small doses. We also both earn a full time living off of photography and share the same views on the whole internet phenom of lack of real critique and glowing praise circles, Facebook love / like fests and what they have done to the overall preception of what actually makes a great photograph.

Also......we tend to want to say things online just like we would in person, face to face. Not sugar coat it & play the vomit inducing card of if you can not say anything nice then don’t say anything at all. I can say “we” confidently because we have had numerous PM’s about this and fully agree.

So for the most part, online communities are often doing more harm to him or I than good…at times things really piss us off, especially regarding topics around what pros use, why, what they earn, are they all homeless, not enjoy photography as much as the software developer who has more gas than a bean eating platoon, etc, etc.

It has gotten to be way too much for either of us at one time or another and we have both been banned temporarily on numerous occasions and have banned our selves from coming here for a spell equally as much.

But the bottom line is that the thing Ned and I both put at the very top of the photography heap is only caring about the very very best photography being made, often finding no reason for celebrating anything less than that. And of course, constantly pushing our selves to the utter brink of a breakdown in trying to rise to that visual level our selves.

Ned decided he had enough, so I applaud him in making the right move.

As for me, I seem to be doing ok at taking in online photo forums in very small doses, at the moment, I can manage that….

Old 10-24-2015   #8
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Was he kidnapped by a pre aspherical 35mm Summilux lens perhaps?

Old 10-24-2015   #9
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
at times things really piss us off
Didactic postings will solve that?

Old 10-24-2015   #10
Peter Wijninga

If we have to believe the Head Bartender and KM-25, Ned is dead, insofar as this forum is concerned. RIP.

Old 10-24-2015   #11
FrankS

Sometimes excellent visual communicators are not the best text-based communicators.

Old 10-24-2015   #12
f16sunshine

Quote:
Ned and I share the same views of online photo communities, they are to be taken in small doses. We also both earn a full time living off of photography and share the same views on the whole internet phenom of lack of real critique and glowing praise circles, Facebook love / like fests and what they have done to the overall preception of what actually makes a great photograph.

Also......we tend to want to say things online just like we would in person, face to face. Not sugar coat it & play the vomit inducing card of if you can not say anything nice then don’t say anything at all. I can say “we” confidently because we have had numerous PM’s about this and fully agree.

So for the most part, online communities are often doing more harm to him or I than good…at times things really piss us off, especially regarding topics around what pros use, why, what they earn, are they all homeless, not enjoy photography as much as the software developer who has more gas than a bean eating platoon, etc, etc.

It has gotten to be way too much for either of us at one time or another and we have both been banned temporarily on numerous occasions and have banned our selves from coming here for a spell equally as much.

But the bottom line is that the thing Ned and I both put at the very top of the photography heap is only caring about the very very best photography being made, often finding no reason for celebrating anything less than that. And of course, constantly pushing our selves to the utter brink of a breakdown in trying to rise to that visual level our selves.

As for me, I seem to be doing ok at taking in online photo forums in very small doses, at the moment, I can manage that….
Ned has a spokesman ? Did not know that.
Huh... the things you can learn from the internet.

Old 10-24-2015   #13
kuuan
plays with lenses

living the denial that online communication is very different to an eye to eye conversation certainly will lead to either better staying away or being banned from online communities. I am not surprised.
it's a real pity, a big loss that Neds truly great photos, his very good and pointed thoughts concerning photography and the technical knowledge he shared are gone though Whoever is responsible for this loss, please reconsider!

Old 10-24-2015   #14
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
i have a feeling this will turn muddy.... to Light and Love
Perhaps you should of kept the MOD JOB Your female persuasion keeps the male in us in line. BTW the light here in the Carolina's, well at least in the Northern side has been lovely this year. Light & love to you too Helen.

Old 10-24-2015   #15
Saul
fighting inertia

His way of communicating was arrogant, boorish, and way over the top with self-importance.

Old 10-24-2015   #16
gb hill

Quote:
Ned has his own site ...If you Miss him, here ya go:
http://www.nenadbojic.com/

though looking at his site it somehow Lacks a Real Magic that his 'street photography' had here

I do think here on RFF itcan bring out the BEST in Photographers Shots
not always their Tongue
Bookmarked. Thank you Helen.

Old 10-24-2015   #17
creenus

Quote:
the sad thing is: We are ALL replaceable and Life moves on with or without us
It certainly does

Old 10-24-2015   #18
gb hill

Quote:

Dan I find your post informative & intertaining. BTW my Kodachrome Tee is holding up very well.

Old 10-24-2015   #19
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
His way of communicating was arrogant, boorish, and way over the top with self-importance.
Lots of artists are like that and he was often spot on but did go full tilt no doubt. If online communities are totally lacking that kind of bluntness, it can sometimes come off as shallow and pointless.

This is a loss to this community, not a gain....and this community is far better than most.

Old 10-24-2015   #20
Vobluda

He just dare to say when something is rubbish that it is rubbish, nothing wrong about that.
And oh boy there is a lot of rubbish here starting with members that have more than 10k posts out of those are 2/3 off topic or 7k members with 2/3 posts GLWS in cassifieds
I already mentioned in some other thread that I dont agree with most of Neds opinions but that doesnt mean that he cant write those.

Quote:

Old 10-24-2015   #21
lynnb

If you're reading this Ned, thanks for the photos, it was inspirational and a reminder to always try to lift your game.. I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Old 10-24-2015   #22
rfaspen

I liked Ned's photos too (quite a lot!). I also read some of his posts and scratched my head, too.

I think the "The Golden Rule" is the one true wisdom that applies most universally. We all have opinions and will occasionally disagree, but common respect and courtesy will always carry the day. If that respectfulness erodes, so does everything else. I think I observed some of that, or at least that was the appearance. Unfortunate because Ned is a talented photographer and I sure enjoyed his images.

It always makes me "sad" when I observe a breakdown of the golden rule. And its just not that common to encounter. My experience here at RFF is a lot of opinionated folks, but also a lot of respect. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-24-2015   #23
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

One who wasn't grey sheep here. I'm not talking about his photos, give no crap for them.

Old 10-24-2015   #24
Huss

Quote:
Ned has his own site ...If you Miss him, here ya go:
http://www.nenadbojic.com/

though looking at his site it somehow Lacks a Real Magic that his 'street photography' had here

I do think here on RFF it can bring out the BEST in a Photographers Photo
not always their Tongue
Thanks for the link.

Wow is his work good. I did not know much about Ned and whatever issues there were, but his work does shade pretty much anything here in that genre with a couple of exceptions (Airfrogusmc being one)

Old 10-24-2015   #25
emraphoto

Quote:
you really have to meet Ned in person to understand that he is none of those things.

Old 10-24-2015   #26
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
you really have to have met Ned in person to understand that he is none of those things.
I don't doubt it. He is a successful wedding photographer, which requires, if not diplomacy, a lot of just good old charm.

But online forums are simply not a place to run a rigorous critique, if one wants that experience, go to Yale grad school.

Old 10-24-2015   #27
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Interpreting the world through one's work is one thing, learning how to communicate what you're doing visually, written or verbally, is another.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-25-2015   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Ned is a great photographer IMO but he ruffles feathers needlessly occasionally with his 'straight speak!'

Personally on line personalities don't bother me too much, because often they don't represent the reality of the poster's true character.

Old 10-25-2015   #29
Hsg
who dares wins

Ned is a very good street photographer.

He has a lot of friends here so it would be cool if he made amends and returned back.

Old 10-25-2015   #30
KM-25

Ned moved on folks, he is out making photos instead of being distracted by online forum commentary. Pretty smart move really.

Old 10-25-2015   #31
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Quote:
Oh, I always thought he was a little tongue in cheek, but much more important: he was not boring.

And many of the photographs he posted were great art, IMHO.

A loss for RFF that he's left.

Old 10-25-2015   #32
uhoh7

I see little old ladies cursing like sailors when someone cuts them off on the highway.

Sometimes it's me seeing red when another driver follows close.

Homo Sapiens are complex

The seemingly nicest people erupt into irational diatribe with buzz words like "Hilary Clinton" "Donald Trump".

There's a great Radiolab which just came out: 87% of women have vividly imagined killing somebody.

Anyway, nice to see some folks sticking up for Ned.

Old 10-25-2015   #33
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post

Anyway, nice to see some folks sticking up for Ned.
I’ve heard from some that knew Ned in person that he is a nice guy and not like his online persona.
I think that says something about his online persona.

Old 10-25-2015   #34
bence8810

Ned, you'll be missed.
That thread was the best of what was available on RFF in my opinion.
Sad day...

Ben

Old 10-25-2015   #35
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bence8810 View Post
Ned, you'll be missed.
That thread was the best of what was available on RFF in my opinion.
Sad day...

Ben
not only his photos, but also his sharing knowledge on films and technique is valuable for me at least.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 10-25-2015   #36
Mute-on

As a long time lurker, I consider Ned's departure to be a far greater loss to the photographic community than whatever offense his clear and honest communication style may have caused. I would be thrilled to have half his talent and commitment.

Cheers,

J

Old 10-25-2015   #37
conyon

Based on what was said earlier in the thread, it does seem a shame when anyone feels they have to limit their expressions, thoughts and creativity. I don't know the context to this current situation though. By and large, I've found the RFF a welcoming and helpful community of photographers. I'd hope that all feel welcome here. Unlike some other forums I could name, the conversations and interaction here are cordial and respectful.

Old 10-27-2015   #38
fotographz

Quote:
Ned moved on folks, he is out making photos instead of being distracted by online forum commentary. Pretty smart move really.
...very well said.

moments captured
time stopped,
lives made still.
the dark truth-
a bright lie-
neither bad.
neither good.
this simplicity, pure
stolen moments.

Old 10-27-2015   #39
jsrockit

Quote:
Because we all know that you need to be out photographing 24/7 instead of wasting a few minutes on a forum.

Old 10-27-2015   #40
daveleo
what?

People come and people go.
Happens every day.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Closed Thread