Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Fuji GW690II on the way
Old 05-30-2011   #1
cliveward

Fuji GW690II on the way

Hi All,

Expect plenty of bone questions from this new member

My last forays with film were with a Kodak 110 as a boy and then with a Canon IXUS APS 10 years ago.

So on the never ending quest for image quality and not being able to afford an M9, I zeroed in on these bargain Fujis.

However my research was a little short sighted and the accumulation of accessories in the hallway now includes, light meter, Metz 45, tripod and rucksack to hold it all

Cheers

Clive

Old 05-30-2011   #2
scottyb70

Did you buy one? If so where did you buy it from?

Old 05-30-2011   #3
cliveward

Hi Scotty,

Yes from Japan via Ebay

Fingers crossed...

Cheers

Clive

Old 05-30-2011   #4
benlees

Awesome cameras! Pretty much all Fuji MF is fantastic value. Some of the sharpest glass around. Enjoy!

Old 05-30-2011   #5
scottyb70

Oh I misread. I am looking forward to the gf670w 55mm. Can't find them in the states yet>

Old 05-30-2011   #6
mathomas

You'll love the GW690. I have a model III, and it has given me some amazing results, both B&W and color. Mine also traveled over from Japan via eBay. Have fun!

Yikes.... likea leica.... price ....
Old 05-30-2011   #7
kuzano

Yikes.... likea leica.... price ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb70 View Post
Oh I misread. I am looking forward to the gf670w 55mm. Can't find them in the states yet>
I saw a GF670W for sale on eBay last week. I was concerned about price on this camera. The one listed on eBay was $3999 Buy It Now.

That's pretty amazing since the camera may be largely built with parts already designed and built for the Folder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fuji-Fujifil...item2a10a7436c

Not truly confirmed, but I had some concerns it would be priced substantially more than the GF670 folder from Fuji. Frankly for that money if I actually wanted one more frame per roll, I'd buy a $500 to $700 GSW670III or a GSW680III..... or SIX of them.

I never thought I would say this about Fuji, since I largely use and respect their cameras, but the new X100 from Fuji and now this 670 wide, are both extreme examples of Fuji raping the market for the gullible. If it turns out that the Wide 670 is actually WAY less than I have seen on price, I might retract my statement.

Last edited by kuzano : 05-30-2011 at 20:03.

Old 06-01-2011   #8
scottyb70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
I saw a GF670W for sale on eBay last week. I was concerned about price on this camera. The one listed on eBay was $3999 Buy It Now.

That's pretty amazing since the camera may be largely built with parts already designed and built for the Folder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fuji-Fujifil...item2a10a7436c

Not truly confirmed, but I had some concerns it would be priced substantially more than the GF670 folder from Fuji. Frankly for that money if I actually wanted one more frame per roll, I'd buy a $500 to $700 GSW670III or a GSW680III..... or SIX of them.

I never thought I would say this about Fuji, since I largely use and respect their cameras, but the new X100 from Fuji and now this 670 wide, are both extreme examples of Fuji raping the market for the gullible. If it turns out that the Wide 670 is actually WAY less than I have seen on price, I might retract my statement.
I think the guy is gouging the prices on ebay, I saw that to. I read from a Japanese retailer that they are selling for 250,000 yen. It is hard to me to try to purchase from the site because I am from the states and can't understand all the Japanese writing on the site.

Old 06-08-2011   #9
cliveward

Hurrah! Giant comedy camera arrived in the post today.

Had a tinker and the rangefinder seems accurate and 1 second seems around one second, maybe a little longer on the shutter.

Gingerly loaded my first roll of Acros 100, keeping plenty of tension and then came the moment of truth would the film advance work properly or just pull the whole lot through the feed. I watched the counter as I pumped the advance and luckily its stopped and locked up on 1

Now to find 8 things that need a picture taking of them.

Cheers

Clive

Old 06-08-2011   #10
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveward View Post

Had a tinker and the rangefinder seems accurate and 1 second seems around one second, maybe a little longer on the shutter.

Gingerly loaded my first roll of Acros 100, keeping plenty of tension and then came the moment of truth would the film advance work properly or just pull the whole lot through the feed. I watched the counter as I pumped the advance and luckily its stopped and locked up on 1

Now to find 8 things that need a picture taking of them.Cheers
Clive
Or one thing with 8 different exposure settings....
or two things with 4 different compositions.....
or four things with.......

Well, surely you get the idea.

In actuality, it's not a bad idea to bracket three different exposure settings on one object with no change in composition. Keep an accurate record... so much easier to do with only 8 frames to track.

Good on the keeping tension on film while loading. Most Fuji big rangefinder newbs blow two rolls before they figure this one out or put the camera back on eBay.

Good Shooting to you.

Oh, and the guy who's worked on over half of my Fuji's is Frank Marshman in Harrisburg VA.... Camera Wiz. Forty years in the biz.

Frank Marshman = Camera Wiz Camera Repair
169B Pleasant Hill Road
Harrisonburg VA 22801
800/471-8133; 540/434-8133

Old 06-08-2011   #11
atlcruiser
Part Yeti

congrats...great camera

you might consider bracketing by roll, you only have 8 exposures ....go out one day with normal sun/shade and burn 3 rolls at all sorts of different subjects. first roll at the "correct setting" , next one a step above and another a step below. Easy to do with a meter. This way you get a range of scenes to compare and it will give you a good idea of how you interact with your meter and how you and your meter interact with the camera in different scenes.

leica M6 ttl
Hassy X Pan
Big ass Fuji G690BL
Some really BIG ASS LF stuff

my flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

my website:
www.dearbornphoto.com

southeastern RFF flikr: Please look/join
http://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/?added=6

Old 06-13-2011   #12
JamesFromSydney
James Morris

The GF670W is selling in Japan for $3000 USD according to the Map Camera site:

http://www.mapcamera.com/shopping/it...=4547410174632

Old 06-21-2011   #13
cliveward

Well 4 rolls of 100 Acros and 1 of 50 Velvia in the post to the lab today.

Fingers crossed

I know of at least 2 failures, one lens cap and the other flash not turned on

There could be a lot more. Some idiot put 3 rolls of the 100 Acros in his suitcase so they may very well be ruined by the x-ray machines.

Cheers

Clive

Old 06-23-2011   #14
t.wesley

Quote:
Yes from Japan via Ebay
That's how I got mine as well. I was a bit nervous, but traded a bunch of e-mails with the guy & that gave me a lot more confidence. Turned out to be a good camera.

--wes

Old 07-07-2011   #15
cliveward

Hi All,

Finally got the film back from the lab. Luckily it seems to have survived the x-ray machines.

I was gutted that a couple of the first rolls had bad light marks running vertically on the right 1/8th of the last couple of frames. I'm guessing that this is due to my unloading practice.

What I've been doing is immediately after the last frame, winding the film off the spool, then unloading when I get indoors later. It seems that the unaffected rolls are when I have pretty much immediately unloaded the camera after the last frame. Could it be that leaving the film unspooled in the camera for a while lets it get loose and then contaminated when chaged later?

I'll bung a couple of scans up on the 6x9 thread when I work out how it's done.

Cheers

Clive

Old 07-07-2011   #16
cliveward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Saw your post. Great stuff.
What do you mean light marks? Do you mean light leaking in? Do you have a scan of this or perhaps a photo of the negative to show us?
Are they are regular speeds or long exposures?
T Setting perhaps?
Give us more info.
Hi Luna,

Heres a crop of the right hand edge of the frame:

Normal shutter speeds in daylight.

Cheers

Clive

Last edited by cliveward : 10-20-2011 at 03:09.

Old 07-07-2011   #17
cliveward

Luna,

In reply to your comment on the 6x9 thread:

I'm really enjoying using the camera. Especially the 'manual' aspect of it all. It's the first proper film camera I've used and the first fully manual camera.

The viewfinder it indeed excellent and the immediacy of it over a digital system is a massive advantage. I can take the picture, just when it needs taking, not shoot, chimp, shoot, chimp checking to see if anyone blinked or looked away.

Out of the 40 frames developed I would say 34 are technically 'good' photographs (light contamination issue aside for the moment), as in correctly exposed, framed, focused, engaged subjects, etc. The obvious duff ones were: 1 x lens cap and 1 x flash not switched on
Then a couple of out of focus shots (DOF too shallow) using the flash. And lastly a couple where the DOF for the subjects again was just a little too shallow.

So the hit rate is very high. I suspect though that may have something to do with the fact that at nearly £2 a frame you get a bit choosy about what you want to take a picture of

If there's anything interesting going on I'll take the camera and don't find it a problem carrying it around for hours on end.

Cheers

Clive

Old 07-13-2011   #18
cliveward

Hi Luna,

I think it's just that.

I left the roll loose in the camera completely unwound off the delivery spool so vibration, etc before unloading let the film get loose.

In future I'll try just winding on past 8 when the roll is finished and not completely winding the film off until I'm ready to change it.

Cheers

Clive

Old 08-03-2011   #19
roboflick

Clive
Di your flash work directly form the hotshot or did you have to use a cord to the pc terminal?
Thanks
Nik

Do it now!!!
Old 08-03-2011   #20
kuzano

Do it now!!!

I've been shooting long frame mf for years. My preferences start at 6X9. At the end of the roll, I turn my back to the sun and hold the camera close to my body, or get in the back seat of the car in subdued light.

I run the end of the roll off the spool, onto the takeup, immediately open the camera, get the roll out and pull the tail tight and use the tape closer to secure the roll tight.

Have never had a light leak problem this way. Waiting to get into the dark is paranoid. Get the film out of the camera in subdued light. Doing it as soon as the roll is rolled COMPLETELY onto the takeup seems to be your best protection. Subdued light means NO DIRECT sunlight on the process. It doesn't have to be complete darkness as long as you proceed immediately at the end of the roll and get the roll taped tight.

Last edited by kuzano : 08-03-2011 at 21:40.

Old 10-20-2011   #21
cliveward

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboflick View Post
Clive
Di your flash work directly form the hotshot or did you have to use a cord to the pc terminal?
Thanks
Nik
Hi Nik,

Sorry for the very late reply to this. The flash I use is a Metz 45 so uses the PC terminatl being a hammerhead flash.

Cheers

Clive

Old 10-20-2011   #22
cliveward

Quote:
I've been shooting long frame mf for years. My preferences start at 6X9. At the end of the roll, I turn my back to the sun and hold the camera close to my body, or get in the back seat of the car in subdued light.

I run the end of the roll off the spool, onto the takeup, immediately open the camera, get the roll out and pull the tail tight and use the tape closer to secure the roll tight.

Have never had a light leak problem this way. Waiting to get into the dark is paranoid. Get the film out of the camera in subdued light. Doing it as soon as the roll is rolled COMPLETELY onto the takeup seems to be your best protection. Subdued light means NO DIRECT sunlight on the process. It doesn't have to be complete darkness as long as you proceed immediately at the end of the roll and get the roll taped tight.
Hi Kuzano,

That's exactly what I've been doing recently. Thanks for the advice and confirming my suspicions.

No more light damage to the end of the rolls now

Cheers

Clive

Update!
Old 10-20-2011   #23
cliveward

Update!

Hi All,

Just got some more rolls back from the lab. The hit rate is getting even better with this. Thanks to the advice on here, no more light damaged frames...happy days.

The camera is just awesome. The photographs that it takes are in another league completely from my digital gear.

I don't find it a pain to carry. I've spent hours walking in the woods with the camera and a full size tripod. Spent whole days on family outings carrying it, it's not a problem at all.

If you are going to sling one over your shoulder for a day out, be prepared to be stopped every so often by a fellow photographer asking *** it is .

I really like the way the aperture and shutter speed rings can be turned together to retain the exposure.

I'll update some newer pictures to the 6x9 thread.

Cheers

Clive

Old 10-21-2011   #24
Texsport

Just a note for those who might have an interest in the big Fujicas-----there's a "mint" condition Fujica GM670 with 100/3.5, 180/5.6, and the rare 50/5.6 for sale on eBay.

The asking price is steep, but what's money for, except to spend?

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 10-30-2011   #25
ssmc

Quote:

Now to find 8 things that need a picture taking of them.

Cheers

Clive
Haha! That's exactly how I feel when I pick up my GW690III - only getting 8 shots to a roll makes you very selective!

Regards,
Scott

I've resisted buying the GM670
Old 10-31-2011   #26
kuzano

I've resisted buying the GM670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsport View Post
Just a note for those who might have an interest in the big Fujicas-----there's a "mint" condition Fujica GM670 with 100/3.5, 180/5.6, and the rare 50/5.6 for sale on eBay.

The asking price is steep, but what's money for, except to spend?

Texsport
I've been through this thought process a few times. That lens array on the GM 670 is attractive... BUT....

The GM670 is exactly the same external size as the GL690, and the G690 and G690bl that precedes it.

So the only advantage is the you get an extra frame per roll. For that you give up the longer frame (which I won't do), but you do not get a smaller lighter camera. Only the film transport and frame opening in the camera is different.

I'd love to have the 50mm lens, but I have the 65mm, and I likely would not use the 180 at all.

My ideal would be one GL690 with a 100 on it, and one GL690 with the 65. However, it's unlikely I would ever venture out into the woods with both camera's in the bag at the same time. All the interchangeable lens bodies are much heavier than the fixed lens Fuji's.

So for weight, If I wanted the 65 and the 90.... the choice would be fixed lens GW690III, and fixed lens GSW690III. Having these two lighter bodies would weigh overall less than one GL690 and the two interchangeable lenses... 100 and 65. Another advantage on the two fixed lens camera's would be the EBC coated lens.

The lenses on the interchangeable models were NOT EBC coated.

Last edited by kuzano : 10-31-2011 at 22:04.

Old 11-01-2011   #27
Texsport

Quote:
I've been through this thought process a few times. That lens array on the GM 670 is attractive... BUT....

The GM670 is exactly the same external size as the GL690, and the G690 and G690bl that precedes it.

So the only advantage is the you get an extra frame per roll. For that you give up the longer frame (which I won't do), but you do not get a smaller lighter camera. Only the film transport and frame opening in the camera is different.

I'd love to have the 50mm lens, but I have the 65mm, and I likely would not use the 180 at all.

My ideal would be one GL690 with a 100 on it, and one GL690 with the 65. However, it's unlikely I would ever venture out into the woods with both camera's in the bag at the same time. All the interchangeable lens bodies are much heavier than the fixed lens Fuji's.

So for weight, If I wanted the 65 and the 90.... the choice would be fixed lens GW690III, and fixed lens GSW690III. Having these two lighter bodies would weigh overall less than one GL690 and the two interchangeable lenses... 100 and 65. Another advantage on the two fixed lens camera's would be the EBC coated lens.

The lenses on the interchangeable models were NOT EBC coated.
I've got 3 Fujica bags set up:

(1) GL690 with the coated 100AE. I've had a lot of fun shooting the big 6x9 in AE mode. Auto Up and Sports rangefinder attachments are in this bag also.

(2) BL690G with the 50 and 65.

(3) GM670 with the 150 and180.

If I didn't already have my stuff, I'd buy the eBay rig and add a GL690 to it.

Of course, you could also sell the 180mm if you didn't use it.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

Last edited by Texsport : 11-01-2011 at 11:18. Reason: More information

Great setups there
Old 11-01-2011   #28
kuzano

Great setups there

Quote:

(1) GL690 with the coated 100AE. I've had a lot of fun shooting the big 6x9 in AE mode. Auto Up and Sports rangefinder attachments are in this bag also.

Texsport
Yes, I also have the EBC coated AE100, but the meter is a bit twitchy. Being the last lens before the Interchangeable bodies went fixed, it is the only Interchangeable lens with EBC coating. I wish there were a way to make it manual exposure, but alas no override.

Old 02-19-2012   #29
imokruok

Just wanted to resurrect this thread. I'm excited...I just got a bargain-grade GW690II off of eBay and it was one of the more satisfying camera purchases I've had. (900 on the shot counter, but in good physical condition and clean glass - just a little dust.)

This thing is HUGE, but that means the rangefinder spot is as well! Can't wait to get out and shoot a few rolls.

That said, I have gotten bored with my GA645zi, so that will be going up on the 'Bay in pretty short order. Great cam tho...about as easy as you can get with shooting MF.

Old 02-24-2012   #30
Texsport

Quote:

Of course, you could also sell the 180mm if you didn't use it.

Texsport
I keep adding to my Fujica setups, and now have ready for shooting......

GL690/100AE/Auto Up/Rangefinder rig-----close up portraits
GL690/65/Metz Flash rig--------------------landscapes + street/groups
BGL690/50----------------------------------environmental portraits/interiors
GM670/150/180----------------------------landscapes + subject isolation

Texsport

Old 02-27-2012   #31
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Quote:
I keep adding to my Fujica setups, and now have ready for shooting......

GL690/100AE/Auto Up/Rangefinder rig---portraits
GL690/65/Metz Flash rig-------------------landscapes + street/groups
BGL690/50----------------------------------environmental portraits
GM670/150/180-----------------------------landscapes + subject isolation
Impressive gear! Those big Fujis are addictive, ain't they?

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 03-02-2012   #32
Texsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbazz View Post
Impressive gear! Those big Fujis are addictive, ain't they?

Cheers!

Abbazz

Yes sir! My favorite cameras and format, 6x9 produces images that are unequaled for impact and personal satisfaction.

Texsport