Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

View Poll Results: Which of the following do you have or plan to acquire for your 35mm RF?
15mm 46 20.91%
18mm 27 12.27%
21mm 121 55.00%
24mm/25mm 69 31.36%
28mm 107 48.64%
WATE or similar (as if) 10 4.55%
All of the above 1 0.45%
None of the above 21 9.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2017   #41
roscoetuff

MCTuomey: This was written some time back. I went ahead and pulled in a 21mm Zeiss ZM lens. Very happy with it. That said, I shoot 90% or more with a 35mm lens. Almost never carry the 50mm, and mostly it is just the 35mm. If I carry another, it's the 90mm. The 21mm offers some accent angles the 35mm does not. I have a 135mm.... but frankly it offers very, very very little and I should probably get rid of it. Unlike a 135mm on an SLR, the point of a 135mm is to remind you how much the 90mm defined the outside reach of working with a RF.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Old 08-17-2017   #42
Steve Bellayr

Since I do not use a 28mm often & do have a 24mm on a Nikon I opted for the Zeiss which was at the time about half the price of a Leica, though much larger. E. Puts in his reviews rated, again, at the time, a good number of years back the Zeiss over the Leica. But, to reiterate, since I do not use one much I opted for cost over size.

Old 08-26-2017   #43
BillBlackwell

I've owned all of these ZM lenses - and their Leica counterparts - at one time or another, including the latest CV 15. The Zeiss Ms are all wonderful lenses and well worth a look.

The 18mm Leica Super-Elmar, for example, has nothing whatsoever over the recently discontinued 18mm ZM - except price (something I thought I'd never say when comparing Leica and non-Leica glass). Only slight differences in color renditions exist between them.

Old 09-10-2017   #44
ACullen

I use ZM 25, 35Biogon & 50Planar on my M2. Having thought 25mm was wide enough for me on impulse recently I added a CV15 LTM. I figured whilst the ZM 18 was probably a better fit - it'd work out at three times the cost and still be an 'occasional' lens. The ZM21 struck me as too close to 25mm to worth adding to my bag.

The additional bonus of the LTM CV15 is of course that it'll go nicely on my Leotax F.

Old 09-15-2017   #45
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
MCTuomey: This was written some time back. I went ahead and pulled in a 21mm Zeiss ZM lens. Very happy with it. That said, I shoot 90% or more with a 35mm lens. Almost never carry the 50mm, and mostly it is just the 35mm. If I carry another, it's the 90mm. The 21mm offers some accent angles the 35mm does not. I have a 135mm.... but frankly it offers very, very very little and I should probably get rid of it. Unlike a 135mm on an SLR, the point of a 135mm is to remind you how much the 90mm defined the outside reach of working with a RF.
Glad to hear, Skip. I used to shoot a ZM 21/2.8 on an M9, loved it for things like long exposure night shooting in NOLA. Plenty sharp (esp in center), zeiss colors, nice star points at night, pleasing size and weight. Like you, I'd carry a 35mm and the 21mm, and only carrying a fast 50 for club shooting. Longest FL I use on M-mount is a 75mm, as I can't focus 90 or 135 reliably at wide apertures.

Good shooting!

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr