Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha 7 / NEX Mirrorless > Sony A7 Series - All Models

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Wow.... Sony A7 was impressive
Old 07-10-2017   #41
dugrant153
Registered User
 
dugrant153 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 95
Wow.... Sony A7 was impressive

I had a chance to really put the Sony A7 through its paces... and I have to say that I'm very impressed. Coupled with the CV 28mm F2 Ultron gives the images a certain imperfect feel that just works.

With the help of some concert lighting and a video light, I was able to nail the focus on some crazy dance moves using focus peaking (and I was maybe... F2.8-F4.... yup....).

Focus magnifying really helped nail focus when I needed to get things super accurate. My SLR, on the other hand, would mostly nail some photos but would utterly back or front focus when the light situation got a bit crazy.

I feel like the Sony A7 gives me a confidence with manual focusing that works really well for me.

Also, used 1 battery the entire day but was charging via USB while in transit... this worked out very well. (I had a Canon DSLR so the Sony wasn't my go-to... if it was, would probably need more batteries).
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2017   #42
kxl
Social Documentary
 
kxl's Avatar
 
kxl is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Does the thin filter modification mess up using Sony lenses? How do Nikon AIs wides work? I'm thinking of the A7 as well.
Sorry for the late response.

In a lab, there may be very slight IQ degradation for Sony AF lenses; in practical use, it hasn't been an issue.

The SLR lenses would be fine with or without the mod; the mod was primarily to address issues with M-mount wides.

-Keith
__________________
Keith
My website
RFF feedback


"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #43
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
Is anyone using OM Zuiko lenses on one of these bodies? I'm considering an a7 for my OM glass collection which is quite comprensive. I use some of them on my 240 but the EVF viewfinder blackout after each exposure drives me insane.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #44
Tim Read
Registered User
 
Tim Read is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 49
Wink

Keith, I have used Zuiko lenses on the Sony A6000. I have also used Canon FD and Nikon F lenses. I enjoyed the experience and was pleased with the results. The crop factor in the A6000 is 1.5.

Just this week I purchased the A7 Mk2 because I have wanted to go full frame for some time. Yesterday I took the Zuiko 85/2, an M mount Ultron 35/1.7 and Canon FD 100/2 out for a spin, again with very satisfactory results - as far as I was concerned.

Programming the C buttons to suit your taste allows for the focus magnification facility to be readily available and focus peaking allows you to hit the mark. It is early times yet but I was impressed with the sharpness I got with the Canon 100/2 photographing birds in flight thanks in part to the stabilisation system in the camera which I think has been well reviewed.

I wanted the A7 Mk2 for use with my "legacy" lenses and so far I am very pleased. No doubt you have read all the background on the camera and the Sony system so I won't say any more except that the menu layout gets a bagging from critics. Having had the A6000 for two years, I have learnt to make it work and don't find it a problem.

Enjoy

Tim
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #45
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Read View Post
Keith, I have used Zuiko lenses on the Sony A6000. I have also used Canon FD and Nikon F lenses. I enjoyed the experience and was pleased with the results. The crop factor in the A6000 is 1.5.

Just this week I purchased the A7 Mk2 because I have wanted to go full frame for some time. Yesterday I took the Zuiko 85/2, an M mount Ultron 35/1.7 and Canon FD 100/2 out for a spin, again with very satisfactory results - as far as I was concerned.

Programming the C buttons to suit your taste allows for the focus magnification facility to be readily available and focus peaking allows you to hit the mark. It is early times yet but I was impressed with the sharpness I got with the Canon 100/2 photographing birds in flight thanks in part to the stabilisation system in the camera which I think has been well reviewed.

I wanted the A7 Mk2 for use with my "legacy" lenses and so far I am very pleased. No doubt you have read all the background on the camera and the Sony system so I won't say any more except that the menu layout gets a bagging from critics. Having had the A6000 for two years, I have learnt to make it work and don't find it a problem.

Enjoy

Tim


Thanks Tim ... much appreciated. As for menus and user friendliness etc ... I love my Sigmas so I'm sure I can cope with what Sony could throw at me.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #46
Tim Read
Registered User
 
Tim Read is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 49
Talking

Keith, I meant to say that I noticed when reading around the subject that the A7 Mk2 has a bigger handgrip than the A7. It is easy to find top shot comparisons of them. I have not held the A7 in my hand but I find the A7 Mk 2 with the Zuiko 85/2 a good weighting whereas I suspect the A7 might not be as comfortable. Also, I have read that a couple of the controls including the shutter button have been moved a bit, also an improvement.

I know there is a price difference but I suggest you try them both out and there, I have taught you to suck eggs!

Tim
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #47
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Read View Post
Keith, I meant to say that I noticed when reading around the subject that the A7 Mk2 has a bigger handgrip than the A7. It is easy to find top shot comparisons of them. I have not held the A7 in my hand but I find the A7 Mk 2 with the Zuiko 85/2 a good weighting whereas I suspect the A7 might not be as comfortable. Also, I have read that a couple of the controls including the shutter button have been moved a bit, also an improvement.

I know there is a price difference but I suggest you try them both out and there, I have taught you to suck eggs!

Tim

Thanks and yes I just found a comparison regarding shutter placement etc ... $500 price difference though. The sensor is the same though so no change in IQ.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #48
sevres_babylone
Registered User
 
sevres_babylone is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Read View Post
Keith, I have used Zuiko lenses on the Sony A6000. ...
Enjoy

Tim
Tim, I'm wondering which adapter you recommend for using the Zuikos.
__________________
Visit me at Pbase
and at Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #49
Tim Read
Registered User
 
Tim Read is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 49
Keith

I have bought three adapters from this seller named OWOOXO on ebay, situated in Notting Hill Victoria. The one for the Zuiko cost $25.95. There may be better ones but this works for me and at the time I thought I could survive losing $25.95 if it was no good.

Here is the link:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olympus-O...8AAOSwQItT0LTb

I hope it works for you.

Tim
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #50
Tim Read
Registered User
 
Tim Read is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Thanks and yes I just found a comparison regarding shutter placement etc ... $500 price difference though. The sensor is the same though so no change in IQ.

Yes Keith, $500 more and that is substantial but read up about the IBIS stabilisation I mentioned and its value when used with legacy lenses. Brian Smith is a writer on these matters and he has two photos showing the difference it made.

Tim
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2017   #51
Tim Read
Registered User
 
Tim Read is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post

Tim, I'm wondering which adapter you recommend for using the Zuikos.
Sorry sevres_babylone, sent to Keith by mistake, here it is

I have bought three adapters from this seller named OWOOXO on ebay, situated in Notting Hill Victoria, Australia. The one for the Zuiko cost $25.95. There may be better ones but this works for me and at the time I thought I could survive losing $25.95 if it was no good.

Here is the link:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olympus-O...8AAOSwQItT0LTb

I hope it works for you. Not sure what the postage would be to you.

Tim
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017   #52
sevres_babylone
Registered User
 
sevres_babylone is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Read View Post
Sorry sevres_babylone, sent to Keith by mistake, here it is

I have bought three adapters from this seller named OWOOXO...
Tim
No need for the apology. I kind of butted into Keith's discussion
Thanks for the recommendation.
__________________
Visit me at Pbase
and at Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017   #53
taemo
Registered User
 
taemo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 32
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Is anyone using OM Zuiko lenses on one of these bodies? I'm considering an a7 for my OM glass collection which is quite comprensive. I use some of them on my 240 but the EVF viewfinder blackout after each exposure drives me insane.

the OM 21mm 3.5 was my widest lens on the Sony A7 as it was the smallest good performer UWA you could get when the A7 first came out.
only complaint is the not so round bokeh

DSC01130 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
__________________
earldieta.com - flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017   #54
dugrant153
Registered User
 
dugrant153 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 95
Taemo, those images are beautiful!

I've collected an OM lens collection from my late Uncle and purchased a K&P adapter to use them. Images are a bit darker so I have to compensate for the exposure slightly... might have to do with the greater distance of the lens from the body (compared to Leica lenses on the A7).

Trying the 135mm F2.8 right now with it. It's a bit soft at F2.8 but quite good from there.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017   #55
kuuan
plays with lenses
 
kuuan's Avatar
 
kuuan is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Is anyone using OM Zuiko lenses on one of these bodies? I'm considering an a7 for my OM glass collection which is quite comprensive. I use some of them on my 240 but the EVF viewfinder blackout after each exposure drives me insane.
have been using a few OM lenses on my A7, mostly a OM Zuiko MC f2.8/24mm. It's working very well, just as any SLR lens made for 35mm film should and would.
__________________
my photos on flickr: : https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2017   #56
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
the OM 21mm 3.5 was my widest lens on the Sony A7 as it was the smallest good performer UWA you could get when the A7 first came out.
only complaint is the not so round bokeh

DSC01130 by Earl Dieta, on Flickr
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa by Earl Dieta, on Flickr

Those are lovely ... and thanks to others who have put forward opinions and information about the A7 and Zuikos etc. Still undecided but can't find too many reasons not to go with it ... and the price is right.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2017   #57
TRIago
Registered User
 
TRIago is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 56
Would a Leica 50mm Crin V5 work properly on a Sony A7Rii using the techart AF adapter? I mean both, mechanically and image quality. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
My Leicas kill fascists.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2017   #58
mcfingon
Western Australia
 
mcfingon is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 763
Keith, I have used a Pixco adapter on my A7S to mount my Oly 50/1.8, 50/3.5 macro and 28/3.5. All work really well, and the adapter is a nice snug fit on the lens and camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2017   #59
Puggie
Registered User
 
Puggie is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fareham, UK
Posts: 73
I moved from a Ricoh GXR to the A7 to go full frame. The one thing i miss is with the Ricoh M-mount sensor, you could set it up to be zoomed in all the time for focusing, then the shutter half press would show the full image for composing. I found this very quick and intuitive (if anyone is hacking the firmware, it would be a lovely mode).

The other thing i find is focus peaking is much easier with red peaking and a b&w style setting. If you use this how do you recover full colour RAW images, as even tge RAWs come up b&w for me in lightroom (could be a simple setting issue)? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:44.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.