Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 01-13-2012   #1721
kidpluto

<----------
OM2n
55mm/f1.2

sorry for the mug shots but i love these cameras!

my black 2n
24mm/f2.8

| | |
VVV

Untitled by kPluto, on Flickr

Old 01-15-2012   #1722
wblynch

Just got back. I took the OM4-t and 35-70/3.5-4.5 along with a 50/1.4 and the 85/2.0

I barely used the primes but have learned I don't particularly like the 35-70. The lens is fine but I prefer fixed length lenses.

I also have finally admitted to myself that I don't like the OM4-t. I guess I'm a manual kind of guy. I really wish I had taken my old standby OM1 with a 28mm and 50mm.

Later this spring I'm gonna sell that OM4-t.

Old 01-17-2012   #1723
Liquid-Sky
Unregistered consumer

Om4ti 40f2 portra 800

OM2n 24f2.8 neopan 400

Old 01-17-2012   #1724
135formatuser

Wow, i just got my new (to me) Zuiko 50 F1,8 in the mail and it is small..
I know everybody says zuiko lenses are small but i did not realy beleve that because i only had the 35-70 F4...
The serial number is 886443 is this an old or new version and what does that say 'bout the quality..

Btw have you guys heard about the digital OM Called OM-D?

Old 01-17-2012   #1725
celluloidprop

I'm waiting on KEH to get some more OM4T bodies in stock. They had a variety a few weeks ago and now nothing aside from an extremely expensive OM4Ti.

Old 01-17-2012   #1726
DanOnRoute66
I now live in Des Moines

The OM-1N is dirt-cheap these days and it wouldn't cost that much more to get the CRIS MR-9 adapter. You likely could buy both for around $50 plus whatever it costs to ship. I always keep an OM-1N in my bag as a "backup," but I use the OM-2N far more often. Just keep a couple of extra batteries handy.

Old 01-17-2012   #1727
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Today on my way back from shooting I stopped at a local thrift shop and found an Olympus OM-2n (Black body) with the 50mm 1.8 lens, case and hot shoe...
It was all dusty and the mirror was locked up (dead battery?) Looked to be in decent shape...I did not buy it since I know very little about them...the price is $50...
pf

Old 01-17-2012   #1728
wblynch

I would buy that OM2

Old 01-17-2012   #1729
rover

Well, I bought the highly sought after 50's, a MIJ 1.8 and greater than 1.1 million 1.4. Funny thing is that both came with OM 1 rear caps from the sellers, which means I now have 3 of those??? I will probably sell these new 2 on the cheap in a few days.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 01-17-2012   #1730
wblynch

A great way to get the MIJ 50/1.8 is buy an OM-G. Because the OM-G came along late they most all came with the MIJ 50 . And most people aren't interested in the OM-G. Keep your eyes open and pick one up cheap.

Old 01-17-2012   #1731
philosomatographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135formatuser View Post
Btw have you guys heard about the digital OM Called OM-D?
Oh, we wish. I would pay $5000 for a proper digital OM body (same build quality, same form factor). This (if it will be called "OM-D") will, of course, just be a cheap marketing stunt by Olympus, for a Micro Four Thirds camera.

Even though I am already upset with Olymus, I will be highly upset with them if they actually use the name of an incompatible older system for a newer system, purely for nostalgic reasons. There is no use in mounting your OM lenses on a camera with a sensor only a quarter the area of a 35mm piece of film. They really have no right to call a micro four-thirds body "OM-D".

We shall have to keep on dreaming about a digital back (one could easily be made!) for our OM cameras :-)
My tools: Leica M3 SS + CV Heliar 50/3.5.Mamiya RB67 + 37/4.5, 50/4.5, 65/4.5, 127/3.8, 140/4.5 Macro, 250/4.5. Linhof Technika V + Super-Angulons 75/8 and 90/8, APO-Symmar 150/5.6, Nikkor-T*ED 360/8.0 + 500/11 + 720/16.

Old 01-17-2012   #1732
Chris101
summicronia

Didn't Olympus tout the E-1, and then the Evolt 420 as 'digital versions of the OM cameras'?

Old 01-17-2012   #1733
philosomatographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
Didn't Olympus tout the E-1, and then the Evolt 420 as 'digital versions of the OM cameras'?
I sure hope not, since they are nothing like an OM whatsoever - in spirit or in physical resemblance. The only digital cameras that are in the spirit of the OM cameras are the Leica M9 and the Fuji X-Pro 1, in my opinion. I'm keeping an eye on Fuji...
My tools: Leica M3 SS + CV Heliar 50/3.5.Mamiya RB67 + 37/4.5, 50/4.5, 65/4.5, 127/3.8, 140/4.5 Macro, 250/4.5. Linhof Technika V + Super-Angulons 75/8 and 90/8, APO-Symmar 150/5.6, Nikkor-T*ED 360/8.0 + 500/11 + 720/16.

Old 01-18-2012   #1734
Paolo Bonello
3 from 36 on a good day.

Up till now Ive been using 2x1.5v silver cell batteries and chewing through them regularly probably because most of them have been sitting in warehouses for years and then on shop shelves for even longer but recently I sent my OM2n for a tune up and it came back with a single CR-1/3n 3volt Lithium battery.
Wish I had know that sooner. Doh!
Thought I'd share.

Old 01-18-2012   #1735
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
There is no use in mounting your OM lenses on a camera with a sensor only a quarter the area of a 35mm piece of film. They really have no right to call a micro four-thirds body "OM-D".
You probably (maybe obviously) never use a 4/3rd system.
Yet you speak of it as though it's a very bad system.

Have you ever seen a result from OM 300/4.5 in front of an m4/3rd camera?
I would call being able to put the equivalent of a 600mm that is sharp wide open with Image Stabilization in a backpack while hiking all day long... useful.

And Olympus does have the right to put OM label anywhere, even on toilet seats, if they produce those.

Old 01-18-2012   #1736
redisburning
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Have you ever seen a result from OM 300/4.5 in front of an m4/3rd camera?
I would call being able to put the equivalent of a 600mm that is sharp wide open with Image Stabilization in a backpack while hiking all day long... useful.
That is an argument about pixel density.

If you just made a full frame sensor with the same pixel density as a m4/3 sensor you could just crop the center 25% and have the EXACT same result.

so no, having a smaller sensor is not more useful in this regard because it's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself (very easily, I might point out).

of course, the converse is not true. you cannot uncrop a m4/3rds sensor to get a wider angle.

I think that all you've demonstrated is that even if you have used something it does not necessarily imply that you know what you're talking about in regards to it.

Old 01-19-2012   #1737
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
That is an argument about pixel density.

If you just made a full frame sensor with the same pixel density as a m4/3 sensor you could just crop the center 25% and have the EXACT same result.

so no, having a smaller sensor is not more useful in this regard because it's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself (very easily, I might point out).

of course, the converse is not true. you cannot uncrop a m4/3rds sensor to get a wider angle.

I think that all you've demonstrated is that even if you have used something it does not necessarily imply that you know what you're talking about in regards to it.
Oh, which camera is that? what brand, what model, and how much, and how big? care to share some pictures for comparison?

I think all you've demonstrated is that talking in the realm of theory is easy to do, even when you don't have practical experience.

And why the negative attitude? is talking about gear that personal to you?

Last edited by shadowfox : 01-19-2012 at 14:03. Reason: Dang typo

Old 01-19-2012   #1738
nikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post

I don't agree with that...having a smaller sensor is a lot more useful, if you're out hiking all day--because it will be in a much smaller camera! If we're talking digital, I'd much rather take a m4/3rds camera hiking than a "full frame" anything! I have a stunning 11x14 print hanging in the dining room that came from a photo I took with my E-P2 while on a hike through the Gap of Dunloe.
Since I'll never go larger than 11x14, the quality is good enough for me, while the portability and useability are excellent.

Old 01-19-2012   #1739
wblynch

So far no Olympus OM has a digital sensor. And I wish they would keep it that way. OM-D is an insult to Maitani-San.

An Olympus XA or Stylus (MJU) is a full-frame camera, yet quite compact.

No reason on Earth that a compact camera could not have a 36x24mm sensor.

Old 01-19-2012   #1740
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
OM-D is an insult to Maitani-San.
Really? I don't understand why.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-19-2012   #1741
pggunn
gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Really? I don't understand why.
Nor do I.

I believe that if he were alive today there would be a digital OM.

Old 01-19-2012   #1742
wblynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggunn View Post
Nor do I.

I believe that if he were alive today there would be a digital OM.
Certainly, but not the joke that will be OM-D

Old 01-19-2012   #1743
marcr1230

the OM name sets a high standard, I don't trust today's Olympus to produce an OM-D that is really worthy.

Old 01-19-2012   #1744
pggunn
gregor

Quote:
Sad, but more than likely true.

Old 01-20-2012   #1745
Liquid-Sky
Unregistered consumer

while waiting for the FF Om-D...

Old 01-20-2012   #1746
nrb
Nuno Borges

Surely a worthy OM-D should be FF.

Old 01-20-2012   #1747
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
I don't agree with that...having a smaller sensor is a lot more useful, if you're out hiking all day--because it will be in a much smaller camera! If we're talking digital, I'd much rather take a m4/3rds camera hiking than a "full frame" anything! I have a stunning 11x14 print hanging in the dining room that came from a photo I took with my E-P2 while on a hike through the Gap of Dunloe.
Since I'll never go larger than 11x14, the quality is good enough for me, while the portability and useability are excellent.
Nikku,

Not only mr. redisburning was talking in theory, his theory is not even applicable in the real world.

Sensors are different from different manufacturers, they are further differentiated by the camera companies who purchased them and then pair them with software that process the data coming out of those sensors.

How can someone say that we are going to get *exactly* the same picture if we were to take 1/4 crop from another completely different sensor? That would only work if we take all the *competing* software algorithm and color filter designs for the past 10-20 years, and toss it out of the window.

Also practically speaking, that's akin to saying that HCB "don't know what he's talking about" for using a Leica III when he could lug around a 11x14 view camera and then just cut the corner of the film to get the *exact* same picture he envisioned.

Ok, I'm done rambling.
This thread deserves better than members bickering about outlandish claims.

Back to Zuiko pictures...

Old 01-20-2012   #1748
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
How do you know that OM-D that is coming out will be a joke?

I am with Earl and Gregor.
Mr. Maitani would have approved m4/3rd.

He's no stranger to smaller than 35mm "sensor" design.

Old 01-20-2012   #1749
wblynch

I have the original M 4/3 camera. It is nice and small but the pictures are disappointing. I blame that on the 4/3 sensor. The highlights are constantly being blown out and exposure control is a royal pain. My earlier Nikon D50 gives far superior results.

To make a plastic p-o-s with a 4/3 sensor and call it an OM is a travesty. It will probably be painted silver and have a fake pentaprism on top. No shutter control ring around the lens mount either.

A true OM-D should be able to use all OM Zuiko lenses in their native format, without an adapter or a crop factor. And full automatic aperture control, of course.

Maitani was a master of elegance in design, operation and function.

Old 01-20-2012   #1750
celluloidprop

Why would Olympus build a body for lenses that make them no money?

I know everyone has an ideal camera lurking in the back of their head (mine: a Leica M10 rangefinder with the D4 sensor for $250 - to save money they can eliminate live-view and video!), but it's kind of silly to object to any camera that isn't that ideal.

Old 01-20-2012   #1751
celluloidprop

This is kind of like the argument that there's no reason we can't have a Olympus XA-sized compact with a 24x36mm sensor (at an affordable price, natch) - given the number of years it took for someone to make decent APS-C sized compacts, one might assume that it's an engineering issue. But no, some folks seem to think it's a camera-maker conspiracy.

Old 01-20-2012   #1752
pggunn
gregor

I believe that the so-called OM-D that Olympus is hinting at will probably be a M4/3's camera designed in the spirit of the original OM, just as the EP's were designed in the spirit of the original Pen, and I'm expecting a small, well-built, innovative, high quality camera that will appeal to professional and enthusiast photographers. I'm thinking something like Fuji's recent offerings with more direct access to the essential controls for aperture, shutter speed and ISO like the analog OM, as well as an OVF. At least that is what I'm hoping.

Like celluloidpro pointed out, it wouldn't make sense for them economically to make a digital camera for lenses that wouldn't make them any money from selling new lenses. Besides, they make adaptors for that.

We can continue to speculate, but none of us will know until they tell us. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting a camera that with have some of the features I'm looking for, but certainly not all.

I think they have been making progress. The EP-3 is much better than the EP-1 and the so-called OM-D should be better than the EP-3. All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to get upset about it. Especially before we even know what it is!

Old 01-20-2012   #1753
redisburning
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
And why the negative attitude? is talking about gear that personal to you?
oh look, you can be a dick to someone and when you're called out on it just smile face like you did nothing. you got a response in the same tone as the one you gave where you acted like, ironically, a know-it-all.

btw D800 is very close to having double the resolution on each side of the frame as 16mp 4/3rds sensor which; close enough that your suggestion that I am in a realm of fantasy is risible since I could so easily name one that at least shows that chip yields are close enough to make my scenario more reality than suggestion.

and you made a theoretical argument anyway. why that matters is beyond me; you are wrong both in theory (which clearly you must admit) and in practice as per the above example

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku
I'd much rather take a m4/3rds camera hiking than a "full frame" anything!
M9 isnt that big. M9 is a little bigger than old film Leicas right? but not that much, and my M2 is just about the same size as OM-1 so I dont see the point in complaining about the size of the M9.

Old 01-20-2012   #1754
redisburning
-

oh and if OM-D is m4/3rds Ill lose any respect I had left for the Olympus brand.

that would just be cashing in on Maitani in a latch ditch effort to save a company tanked by corporate greed.

Old 01-20-2012   #1755
celluloidprop

Yeah, I can't believe a camera company would introduce a new model in the same format as every model they've introduced for the last several years and compatible with all their latest lenses. The nerve!

Old 01-20-2012   #1756
f6andBthere
-

Why all the chat about the 'hate it or love it' digital OM in this thread ... it has it's own dedicated thread.

And all the angst about it is ruining this thread IMO!

Old 01-20-2012   #1757
nighstar
eternal beginner

seriously. if you don't like the new camera then simply don't buy it. keep on using the awesome cameras you already have.

in the meantime, more zuiko film photos please!

Old 01-20-2012   #1758
wblynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloidprop View Post
This is kind of like the argument that there's no reason we can't have a Olympus XA-sized compact with a 24x36mm sensor (at an affordable price, natch) - given the number of years it took for someone to make decent APS-C sized compacts, one might assume that it's an engineering issue. But no, some folks seem to think it's a camera-maker conspiracy.
But knowing the rate of technical advancement it should be here by now. The APS sensors have been available, cheaply for what, nearly 10 years now?

If Olympus did introduce a full frame camera now, all their current equipment would be instantly obsolete. This would certainly upset their accountants. I side 50% on "conspiracy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggunn View Post
All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to get upset about it. Especially before we even know what it is!

Fair Enough.

Old 01-20-2012   #1759
ferider

View from our back yard. Somewhere down there you see ebay, Paypal, Google, Yahoo, etc. My favorite Zuiko, the 180/2.8.

Anybody else have Zuiko tele shots ?

Cheers,

Roland.

Old 01-20-2012   #1760
celluloidprop

Quote:
But knowing the rate of technical advancement it should be here by now. The APS sensors have been available, cheaply for what, nearly 10 years now?
But the technology to put a rear element so close to the sensor with good results hasn't. I'm not an engineer, I don't know all the technology involved in the guts of a digital camera. For now, the smallest full-frame digital is the M9 - which is still noticeably larger than a film M. Presumably there's a reason for that.

My logical assumption is that if a XA-sized full-frame compact were feasible at any reasonable price point (or feasible at all), someone would have done it - because they would make a killing.