Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-13-2012   #1721
kidpluto
Registered User
 
kidpluto's Avatar
 
kidpluto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 119
<----------
OM2n
55mm/f1.2


sorry for the mug shots but i love these cameras!

my black 2n
24mm/f2.8

| | |
VVV


Untitled by kPluto, on Flickr

  Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2012   #1722
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
Just got back. I took the OM4-t and 35-70/3.5-4.5 along with a 50/1.4 and the 85/2.0

I barely used the primes but have learned I don't particularly like the 35-70. The lens is fine but I prefer fixed length lenses.

I also have finally admitted to myself that I don't like the OM4-t. I guess I'm a manual kind of guy. I really wish I had taken my old standby OM1 with a 28mm and 50mm.

Later this spring I'm gonna sell that OM4-t.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1723
Liquid-Sky
Unregistered consumer
 
Liquid-Sky is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France
Age: 52
Posts: 144
Om4ti 40f2 portra 800





OM2n 24f2.8 neopan 400



__________________
a bit of this , a bit of that...
OM Gears and P&S
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liquidsky1/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1724
135formatuser
Registered User
 
135formatuser is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18
Wow, i just got my new (to me) Zuiko 50 F1,8 in the mail and it is small..
I know everybody says zuiko lenses are small but i did not realy beleve that because i only had the 35-70 F4...
The serial number is 886443 is this an old or new version and what does that say 'bout the quality..

Btw have you guys heard about the digital OM Called OM-D?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1725
celluloidprop
Registered User
 
celluloidprop is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 876
I'm waiting on KEH to get some more OM4T bodies in stock. They had a variety a few weeks ago and now nothing aside from an extremely expensive OM4Ti.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1726
DanOnRoute66
I now live in Des Moines
 
DanOnRoute66's Avatar
 
DanOnRoute66 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 298
The OM-1N is dirt-cheap these days and it wouldn't cost that much more to get the CRIS MR-9 adapter. You likely could buy both for around $50 plus whatever it costs to ship. I always keep an OM-1N in my bag as a "backup," but I use the OM-2N far more often. Just keep a couple of extra batteries handy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1727
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...
 
nikon_sam's Avatar
 
nikon_sam is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Age: 59
Posts: 4,959
Today on my way back from shooting I stopped at a local thrift shop and found an Olympus OM-2n (Black body) with the 50mm 1.8 lens, case and hot shoe...
It was all dusty and the mirror was locked up (dead battery?) Looked to be in decent shape...I did not buy it since I know very little about them...the price is $50...
__________________
Sam
"tongue tied & twisted
just an earthbound misfit...I..."
pf
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1728
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
I would buy that OM2
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1729
rover
Moderator
 
rover's Avatar
 
rover is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Connecticut
Age: 53
Posts: 13,914
Well, I bought the highly sought after 50's, a MIJ 1.8 and greater than 1.1 million 1.4. Funny thing is that both came with OM 1 rear caps from the sellers, which means I now have 3 of those??? I will probably sell these new 2 on the cheap in a few days.
__________________
Dad with a Camera

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1730
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
A great way to get the MIJ 50/1.8 is buy an OM-G. Because the OM-G came along late they most all came with the MIJ 50 . And most people aren't interested in the OM-G. Keep your eyes open and pick one up cheap.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1731
philosomatographer
Registered User
 
philosomatographer is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135formatuser View Post
Btw have you guys heard about the digital OM Called OM-D?
Oh, we wish. I would pay $5000 for a proper digital OM body (same build quality, same form factor). This (if it will be called "OM-D") will, of course, just be a cheap marketing stunt by Olympus, for a Micro Four Thirds camera.

Even though I am already upset with Olymus, I will be highly upset with them if they actually use the name of an incompatible older system for a newer system, purely for nostalgic reasons. There is no use in mounting your OM lenses on a camera with a sensor only a quarter the area of a 35mm piece of film. They really have no right to call a micro four-thirds body "OM-D".

We shall have to keep on dreaming about a digital back (one could easily be made!) for our OM cameras :-)
__________________
My tools: Leica M3 SS + CV Heliar 50/3.5.Mamiya RB67 + 37/4.5, 50/4.5, 65/4.5, 127/3.8, 140/4.5 Macro, 250/4.5. Linhof Technika V + Super-Angulons 75/8 and 90/8, APO-Symmar 150/5.6, Nikkor-T*ED 360/8.0 + 500/11 + 720/16.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1732
Chris101
summicronia
 
Chris101's Avatar
 
Chris101 is offline
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,403
Didn't Olympus tout the E-1, and then the Evolt 420 as 'digital versions of the OM cameras'?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012   #1733
philosomatographer
Registered User
 
philosomatographer is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
Didn't Olympus tout the E-1, and then the Evolt 420 as 'digital versions of the OM cameras'?
I sure hope not, since they are nothing like an OM whatsoever - in spirit or in physical resemblance. The only digital cameras that are in the spirit of the OM cameras are the Leica M9 and the Fuji X-Pro 1, in my opinion. I'm keeping an eye on Fuji...
__________________
My tools: Leica M3 SS + CV Heliar 50/3.5.Mamiya RB67 + 37/4.5, 50/4.5, 65/4.5, 127/3.8, 140/4.5 Macro, 250/4.5. Linhof Technika V + Super-Angulons 75/8 and 90/8, APO-Symmar 150/5.6, Nikkor-T*ED 360/8.0 + 500/11 + 720/16.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012   #1734
Paolo Bonello
3 from 36 on a good day.
 
Paolo Bonello is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 353
Up till now Ive been using 2x1.5v silver cell batteries and chewing through them regularly probably because most of them have been sitting in warehouses for years and then on shop shelves for even longer but recently I sent my OM2n for a tune up and it came back with a single CR-1/3n 3volt Lithium battery.
Wish I had know that sooner. Doh!
Thought I'd share.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012   #1735
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
There is no use in mounting your OM lenses on a camera with a sensor only a quarter the area of a 35mm piece of film. They really have no right to call a micro four-thirds body "OM-D".
You probably (maybe obviously) never use a 4/3rd system.
Yet you speak of it as though it's a very bad system.

Have you ever seen a result from OM 300/4.5 in front of an m4/3rd camera?
I would call being able to put the equivalent of a 600mm that is sharp wide open with Image Stabilization in a backpack while hiking all day long... useful.

And Olympus does have the right to put OM label anywhere, even on toilet seats, if they produce those.
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012   #1736
redisburning
-
 
redisburning is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
Have you ever seen a result from OM 300/4.5 in front of an m4/3rd camera?
I would call being able to put the equivalent of a 600mm that is sharp wide open with Image Stabilization in a backpack while hiking all day long... useful.
That is an argument about pixel density.

If you just made a full frame sensor with the same pixel density as a m4/3 sensor you could just crop the center 25% and have the EXACT same result.

so no, having a smaller sensor is not more useful in this regard because it's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself (very easily, I might point out).

of course, the converse is not true. you cannot uncrop a m4/3rds sensor to get a wider angle.

I think that all you've demonstrated is that even if you have used something it does not necessarily imply that you know what you're talking about in regards to it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1737
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
That is an argument about pixel density.

If you just made a full frame sensor with the same pixel density as a m4/3 sensor you could just crop the center 25% and have the EXACT same result.

so no, having a smaller sensor is not more useful in this regard because it's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself (very easily, I might point out).

of course, the converse is not true. you cannot uncrop a m4/3rds sensor to get a wider angle.

I think that all you've demonstrated is that even if you have used something it does not necessarily imply that you know what you're talking about in regards to it.
Oh, which camera is that? what brand, what model, and how much, and how big? care to share some pictures for comparison?

I think all you've demonstrated is that talking in the realm of theory is easy to do, even when you don't have practical experience.

And why the negative attitude? is talking about gear that personal to you?
__________________
Have a good light,
Will



Last edited by shadowfox : 01-19-2012 at 14:03. Reason: Dang typo
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1738
nikku
Registered User
 
nikku is offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post

so no, having a smaller sensor is not more useful in this regard because it's not doing anything you couldn't do yourself (very easily, I might point out).
I don't agree with that...having a smaller sensor is a lot more useful, if you're out hiking all day--because it will be in a much smaller camera! If we're talking digital, I'd much rather take a m4/3rds camera hiking than a "full frame" anything! I have a stunning 11x14 print hanging in the dining room that came from a photo I took with my E-P2 while on a hike through the Gap of Dunloe.
Since I'll never go larger than 11x14, the quality is good enough for me, while the portability and useability are excellent.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1739
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
So far no Olympus OM has a digital sensor. And I wish they would keep it that way. OM-D is an insult to Maitani-San.

An Olympus XA or Stylus (MJU) is a full-frame camera, yet quite compact.

No reason on Earth that a compact camera could not have a 36x24mm sensor.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1740
Trius
Waiting on Maitani
 
Trius's Avatar
 
Trius is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, NY & Toronto area
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
OM-D is an insult to Maitani-San.
Really? I don't understand why.
__________________
My Gallery Flickr
Fine grain is a bourgeois concept

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1741
pggunn
gregor
 
pggunn is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Carolina
Age: 62
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
Really? I don't understand why.
Nor do I.

I believe that if he were alive today there would be a digital OM.
__________________
gregor
f/something and be somewhere.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1742
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by pggunn View Post
Nor do I.

I believe that if he were alive today there would be a digital OM.
Certainly, but not the joke that will be OM-D
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1743
marcr1230
Registered User
 
marcr1230's Avatar
 
marcr1230 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,368
the OM name sets a high standard, I don't trust today's Olympus to produce an OM-D that is really worthy.
__________________
Too many cameras, too little time
Gallery: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg....php?uid=25736
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012   #1744
pggunn
gregor
 
pggunn is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Carolina
Age: 62
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Certainly, but not the joke that will be OM-D
Sad, but more than likely true.
__________________
gregor
f/something and be somewhere.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1745
Liquid-Sky
Unregistered consumer
 
Liquid-Sky is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France
Age: 52
Posts: 144
while waiting for the FF Om-D...

__________________
a bit of this , a bit of that...
OM Gears and P&S
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liquidsky1/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1746
nrb
Nuno Borges
 
nrb's Avatar
 
nrb is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: EU
Posts: 371
Surely a worthy OM-D should be FF.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1747
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
I don't agree with that...having a smaller sensor is a lot more useful, if you're out hiking all day--because it will be in a much smaller camera! If we're talking digital, I'd much rather take a m4/3rds camera hiking than a "full frame" anything! I have a stunning 11x14 print hanging in the dining room that came from a photo I took with my E-P2 while on a hike through the Gap of Dunloe.
Since I'll never go larger than 11x14, the quality is good enough for me, while the portability and useability are excellent.
Nikku,

Not only mr. redisburning was talking in theory, his theory is not even applicable in the real world.

Sensors are different from different manufacturers, they are further differentiated by the camera companies who purchased them and then pair them with software that process the data coming out of those sensors.

How can someone say that we are going to get *exactly* the same picture if we were to take 1/4 crop from another completely different sensor? That would only work if we take all the *competing* software algorithm and color filter designs for the past 10-20 years, and toss it out of the window.

Also practically speaking, that's akin to saying that HCB "don't know what he's talking about" for using a Leica III when he could lug around a 11x14 view camera and then just cut the corner of the film to get the *exact* same picture he envisioned.

Ok, I'm done rambling.
This thread deserves better than members bickering about outlandish claims.

Back to Zuiko pictures...
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1748
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives
 
shadowfox's Avatar
 
shadowfox is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Certainly, but not the joke that will be OM-D
How do you know that OM-D that is coming out will be a joke?

I am with Earl and Gregor.
Mr. Maitani would have approved m4/3rd.

He's no stranger to smaller than 35mm "sensor" design.
__________________
Have a good light,
Will


  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1749
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
I have the original M 4/3 camera. It is nice and small but the pictures are disappointing. I blame that on the 4/3 sensor. The highlights are constantly being blown out and exposure control is a royal pain. My earlier Nikon D50 gives far superior results.

To make a plastic p-o-s with a 4/3 sensor and call it an OM is a travesty. It will probably be painted silver and have a fake pentaprism on top. No shutter control ring around the lens mount either.

A true OM-D should be able to use all OM Zuiko lenses in their native format, without an adapter or a crop factor. And full automatic aperture control, of course.

Maitani was a master of elegance in design, operation and function.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1750
celluloidprop
Registered User
 
celluloidprop is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 876
Why would Olympus build a body for lenses that make them no money?

I know everyone has an ideal camera lurking in the back of their head (mine: a Leica M10 rangefinder with the D4 sensor for $250 - to save money they can eliminate live-view and video!), but it's kind of silly to object to any camera that isn't that ideal.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1751
celluloidprop
Registered User
 
celluloidprop is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 876
This is kind of like the argument that there's no reason we can't have a Olympus XA-sized compact with a 24x36mm sensor (at an affordable price, natch) - given the number of years it took for someone to make decent APS-C sized compacts, one might assume that it's an engineering issue. But no, some folks seem to think it's a camera-maker conspiracy.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1752
pggunn
gregor
 
pggunn is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Carolina
Age: 62
Posts: 337
I believe that the so-called OM-D that Olympus is hinting at will probably be a M4/3's camera designed in the spirit of the original OM, just as the EP's were designed in the spirit of the original Pen, and I'm expecting a small, well-built, innovative, high quality camera that will appeal to professional and enthusiast photographers. I'm thinking something like Fuji's recent offerings with more direct access to the essential controls for aperture, shutter speed and ISO like the analog OM, as well as an OVF. At least that is what I'm hoping.

Like celluloidpro pointed out, it wouldn't make sense for them economically to make a digital camera for lenses that wouldn't make them any money from selling new lenses. Besides, they make adaptors for that.

We can continue to speculate, but none of us will know until they tell us. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting a camera that with have some of the features I'm looking for, but certainly not all.

I think they have been making progress. The EP-3 is much better than the EP-1 and the so-called OM-D should be better than the EP-3. All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to get upset about it. Especially before we even know what it is!
__________________
gregor
f/something and be somewhere.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1753
redisburning
-
 
redisburning is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
And why the negative attitude? is talking about gear that personal to you?
oh look, you can be a dick to someone and when you're called out on it just smile face like you did nothing. you got a response in the same tone as the one you gave where you acted like, ironically, a know-it-all.

btw D800 is very close to having double the resolution on each side of the frame as 16mp 4/3rds sensor which; close enough that your suggestion that I am in a realm of fantasy is risible since I could so easily name one that at least shows that chip yields are close enough to make my scenario more reality than suggestion.

and you made a theoretical argument anyway. why that matters is beyond me; you are wrong both in theory (which clearly you must admit) and in practice as per the above example

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku
I'd much rather take a m4/3rds camera hiking than a "full frame" anything!
M9 isnt that big. M9 is a little bigger than old film Leicas right? but not that much, and my M2 is just about the same size as OM-1 so I dont see the point in complaining about the size of the M9.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1754
redisburning
-
 
redisburning is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,580
oh and if OM-D is m4/3rds Ill lose any respect I had left for the Olympus brand.

that would just be cashing in on Maitani in a latch ditch effort to save a company tanked by corporate greed.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1755
celluloidprop
Registered User
 
celluloidprop is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 876
Yeah, I can't believe a camera company would introduce a new model in the same format as every model they've introduced for the last several years and compatible with all their latest lenses. The nerve!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1756
f6andBthere
-
 
f6andBthere's Avatar
 
f6andBthere is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 440
Why all the chat about the 'hate it or love it' digital OM in this thread ... it has it's own dedicated thread.

And all the angst about it is ruining this thread IMO!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1757
nighstar
eternal beginner
 
nighstar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 34
Posts: 485
seriously. if you don't like the new camera then simply don't buy it. keep on using the awesome cameras you already have.

in the meantime, more zuiko film photos please!
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1758
wblynch
Registered User
 
wblynch is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloidprop View Post
This is kind of like the argument that there's no reason we can't have a Olympus XA-sized compact with a 24x36mm sensor (at an affordable price, natch) - given the number of years it took for someone to make decent APS-C sized compacts, one might assume that it's an engineering issue. But no, some folks seem to think it's a camera-maker conspiracy.
But knowing the rate of technical advancement it should be here by now. The APS sensors have been available, cheaply for what, nearly 10 years now?

If Olympus did introduce a full frame camera now, all their current equipment would be instantly obsolete. This would certainly upset their accountants. I side 50% on "conspiracy".


Quote:
Originally Posted by pggunn View Post
All we can do is wait and see, but I'm not going to get upset about it. Especially before we even know what it is!

Fair Enough.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1759
ferider
Registered User
 
ferider's Avatar
 
ferider is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,249
View from our back yard. Somewhere down there you see ebay, Paypal, Google, Yahoo, etc. My favorite Zuiko, the 180/2.8.



Anybody else have Zuiko tele shots ?

Cheers,

Roland.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012   #1760
celluloidprop
Registered User
 
celluloidprop is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
But knowing the rate of technical advancement it should be here by now. The APS sensors have been available, cheaply for what, nearly 10 years now?
But the technology to put a rear element so close to the sensor with good results hasn't. I'm not an engineer, I don't know all the technology involved in the guts of a digital camera. For now, the smallest full-frame digital is the M9 - which is still noticeably larger than a film M. Presumably there's a reason for that.

My logical assumption is that if a XA-sized full-frame compact were feasible at any reasonable price point (or feasible at all), someone would have done it - because they would make a killing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 23:37.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.