Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

OT: Favorite Pentax *ist DL settings?
Old 07-27-2006   #1
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
OT: Favorite Pentax *ist DL settings?

Anyone want to share their favorite or default settings or lens setup?

I've been going back and forth from the kit zoom 18-55, and a Vivitar 35mm 1.9.

I'm using the highest res JPEG mode, ASA 200, auto WB, mostly Av mode, with the EV wheel to adjust to taste.
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006   #2
akptc
Shoot first, think later
 
akptc's Avatar
 
akptc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas. OMG. Kansas.
Posts: 1,689
I love this camera (DS). It's typicaly mounted with the 50/1.4 AF Pentax but often with the 77mm Limited. Most of the time I find myself using it in manual focus, Av, auto WB. Have had some trouble getting well-focused images with my 400mm Tokina, even with a tripod and a remote.
__________________
Andy K
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006   #3
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is online now
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,219
and you could always try this site; our sister site...

dslrx
  Reply With Quote

been there
Old 07-27-2006   #4
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
been there

looks like a graveyard. There are Minolta and Kodak DSLR forums, but none for Pentax

The *ist is more relevant to RF's, since in many cases the same lenses can be used, just different mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
and you could always try this site; our sister site...

dslrx
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Thanks Andy
Old 07-27-2006   #5
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
Thanks Andy

I've heard rave reviews, and seen great online images on the dpreview forums site on those lenses, but I'm hoping to avoid LBA and use my old lenses.

I have the kit zoom, plus leftovers from my k-mount/m42 set - 50mm 1.9 prime, 35mm 1.9, new used 28mm JC Penny (!), 18mm Sigma 3.5.

I'm a little hesitant to get into the AF/DA lenses (LBA!) for the *ist, seems like there's no going back once you do, where old SMC lenses are so inexpensive. I have mine on 3 second metering, and 3 point autofocus (single, not continuous), though of course with everything but the kit lens I'm on manual focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akptc
I love this camera (DS). It's typicaly mounted with the 50/1.4 AF Pentax but often with the 77mm Limited. Most of the time I find myself using it in manual focus, Av, auto WB. Have had some trouble getting well-focused images with my 400mm Tokina, even with a tripod and a remote.
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006   #6
akptc
Shoot first, think later
 
akptc's Avatar
 
akptc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas. OMG. Kansas.
Posts: 1,689
I could rave on about the DS for hours but am seriously afraid the moderator will kick us out Speaking of the other site, it WOULD be good to have a Pentax forum. I do wonder why it is so empty over there, perhaps it takes quite a bit of time to get the critical mass of users/members..?
__________________
Andy K
  Reply With Quote

maybe it's because
Old 07-27-2006   #7
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
maybe it's because

dslr folks aren't as into dead animal carcass casings??

So do you have any *ist specific lenses for your DS? When do you use your RF vs your DS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akptc
I could rave on about the DS for hours but am seriously afraid the moderator will kick us out Speaking of the other site, it WOULD be good to have a Pentax forum. I do wonder why it is so empty over there, perhaps it takes quite a bit of time to get the critical mass of users/members..?
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006   #8
back alley
IMAGES
 
back alley's Avatar
 
back alley is online now
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: true north strong & free
Posts: 49,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampguy
looks like a graveyard. There are Minolta and Kodak DSLR forums, but none for Pentax

The *ist is more relevant to RF's, since in many cases the same lenses can be used, just different mount.

but it's not a rangefinder...

i know this is the ot section but...it's the ot section on a site about rf cameras.
there are tons of digital sites out there also.

we're not anal about it but...
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2006   #9
akptc
Shoot first, think later
 
akptc's Avatar
 
akptc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas. OMG. Kansas.
Posts: 1,689
There was this one time I used a 28mm finder on the DS...

But seriously, I think the moderator is right, we should probably take this to the other forum... To answer your question though, I only have the 18-55mm kit lens as far as "D" lenses go.

I typically carry my RD1 everywhere I can, but take the DS when longer focal lengths or "rapid fire" shooting may be needed. Of course, now that I broke down and bought an M7, the DS may get a bit dusty for a while...
__________________
Andy K
  Reply With Quote

lol
Old 07-28-2006   #10
ampguy
Registered User
 
ampguy's Avatar
 
ampguy is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,015
lol

the framelines in my dl, like well sometimes they're almost invisible...

ok, i'll see you on some other forum

sorry Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akptc
There was this one time I used a 28mm finder on the DS...

But seriously, I think the moderator is right, we should probably take this to the other forum... To answer your question though, I only have the 18-55mm kit lens as far as "D" lenses go.

I typically carry my RD1 everywhere I can, but take the DS when longer focal lengths or "rapid fire" shooting may be needed. Of course, now that I broke down and bought an M7, the DS may get a bit dusty for a while...
__________________
My photo blog

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2006   #11
HansDerHase
Registered User
 
HansDerHase's Avatar
 
HansDerHase is offline
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
but it's not a rangefinder...
But it feels almost like a RF :-) At least it feels as close to a RF as a DSLR could get.

That said it's the most afordable digital RF(almost) on the market right now..
__________________
Rangefinder: RevueAutoS22, SokolAutomat(RIP), Kiev4a(J8), Zorki6(I50), Diax2b(RIP), ZeissContessaLKE, ZeissContessaLK, Vitomatic2a, YashicaCC, Minolta7sII, Ricoh500G
Guess: AgfaOptimaII, VitoBL, Agfa Optima 200, PetriColor35, Olympus XA2 (RIP), Minox35GT
Reflex: Rolleiflex, Zorki11, MinoltaXG9, ZeissContaflexSuperBC
Auto: NikonL35AF, OlympusMyu2
Fix: Felica, BiloraStahlBox
Digital: CanonS1IS(RIP), Ricoh GX100, SonyDSCU20(RIP)
[/size]
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Had 1st-Half Loss, Raises Annual Profit, Sales Target bmattock Rangefinder Photography Discussion 0 11-04-2005 06:03



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:03.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.