Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 10-25-2004   #41
jfbell20

I prefer Pentax MX cameras. I started to use them when I could use my uncle's screw thread Leica's.

Old 10-25-2004   #42
BillG
what film did I load?

non return mirror SLR - Contaflex Super (2nd) with 50 2.8 pro-Tessar lens, (also 35mm and 115mm lenses), Voigtlander Bessamatic with 50, 35, 135 lenses.

Pentax SP, S1A, SP1000 (this was my first 35mm SLR bought in 1974, sold it and in the past few years assembled a flock of Pentax Spotmatic bodies and lenses)

Nikon F2 (non AI 28 3.5, non AI 85 1.8) FM, FM2, N8008s (clearest brightest viewfinder I have) with AI'd 20 mm f4, 105 2.5 AI.

Yashica FX-D with Carl Zeiss T Distagon 28mm f2.8 and 35mm f2.8
compact with AE and full manual....the 28 is an especial favourite lens of mine.

I have too many cameras, way too many cameras. If I was going to slash the numbers down. I would probably stick to the Pentax Spotmatics and keep the AF automated Pentax PZ-1 with an adapter (used it this past summer to cover a Dragon Boat Race Charity event with a 28-80 and 100-300 zoom - it was perfect for that kind of shoot.) the old screwmount lenses work quite well with it too.

Portrait sharpness - the Nikkor 105 2.5, just got the non AI 85 1.8 and have not shot any portraits yet....for other shots I have liked the results so far very much.

Old 10-25-2004   #43
Brian Sweeney

Well, I have to jump in with the "Best of the Nikon's". I love the F2, but I had two Nikon F's rebuilt at Mora camera in DC; new shutter brakes, etc. It is the smoothest and quietest of the Nikon SLR's that I have used. Probably due too the slower shutter transit time; 1/60th vs 1/80th of the F2 and F3.

Old 10-27-2004   #44
nwcanonman

Honu-Hugger,
Yep, Nikon's staying with the F mount is why I switched to them years ago. Now that they are still introducing another Pro FILM SLR (the F-6) that will Still use AI lenses I'm convinced I made the right choice.

Old 10-27-2004   #45
Doug

Kudos to both Nikon and Pentax for retaining excellent compatibility with "legacy" lenses!

Old 10-27-2004   #46
DougK
This space left blank

Oh come on, doesn't ANYBODY but me have a soft spot for the Pentax K1000? Built like a tank and even 30 years and lots of film later (most of which my dad shot, I'll admit), mine still operates and looks like it just came out of the box. It may be fairly primitive, but I'll never give it up.

Last edited by DougK : 10-27-2004 at 20:34.

Re: No Other Alpas?
Old 10-27-2004   #47
Oldprof

Re: No Other Alpas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Honu-Hugger
Wow, I'm a little surprised ... I appear to be the only Alpa user ... Is it really that obscure of a camera?
The Swiss Alpas are extremely rare ... I have never seen a person out in the real world using one, although I've seen a few at camera stores and shows. Most Alpa models were hand built in small numbers and cost more than what most consumers could afford. A few of the later models were rebadged Chinons made in Japan - quite a divergence from the Alpa tradition.

Old 10-27-2004   #48
Doug

Doug2, I'm with Oldprof; I've never seen an Alpa in use, as far as I can recall. They are obscure treasures!

If this thread hadn't specified "35mm slr" I'd have probably claimed the Pentax 6x7 as my current favorite SLR. Sort of an overgrown K1000, eh DougK? I've had it since 1976, and just like how it works. I really haven't had all that many SLRs anyway, starting with a Petriflex and going on to various 35mm Pentaxes, an Olympus Pen FT handed down from my Dad, and an Olympus OMG I got for $50 solely to use a Tokina 500mm in OM mount. So, being mostly a Pentax guy when it comes to SLRs, it just boils down to choosing a favorite Pentax!

Old 10-28-2004   #49
Brian Sweeney

D2, I have never seen one "in person" either. I have never seen one in all of my years (25) at a research lab either. I remember Alpa cameras advertised in Olden in the Pop and Modern "yellow page" ads. They tended to use more O-Scopes around here, not microscopes. I have read that the Alpa was a great Microscope camera as the lever advance was front mounted.

Old 10-28-2004   #50
wierdcollector

Ok Doug,
I'll 'fess up, I have three K1000's and wouldn't part with any of them. Like the SE best. And like most of us, I've never seen a real live Alpa in the flesh either (and I've been using/collecting for 35 years). Then again, I've only seen 1 Ford Pantera too.

Old 10-28-2004   #51
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally posted by Kin Lau
I don't list my SLR's on my sig since it's an RF forum, but my favourite is my Zeiss Contaflex IV but unfortunately, it's shutter is acting up right now.

I've got 6 M42 SLR's, a Pentax SP II, Yashica Electro TL, Fujica ST701, Practika MTL3, Vivitar 220/SL & 450/SLD. All tanks but the SP II is my favourite of this bunch.

Main classic SLR's and my workhorses are Minolta's, SRT101, 200, XG-M, X-570, X-700 & XD-11. The XD-11 is really smooth and the SRT101 with the 58/1.4 is just a classic. I'm finding that it's easier to get quality Rokkors than quality M42's.

A recent acquisition has been a Canon AE-1 with a FL 55/1.2 and a Yashica FX-3 Super2000. I'm surprised at how light the FX-3 is and it's totally mechanical shutter is a pleasant surprise but this will end up as a gift to a friend.

Somewhere along the line, I'll probably get a MF SLR like the Kiev 60, 88 or Practisix.
Yashica TL Electro (I have the X), Fujica ST701 (mine is the 901), and Yashica FX3 Super (mine is just the FX3). All great cameras. The Yashica Yashinon and Fujica Fujinon, as I mentioned above, were great lenses, but never got their due in the press or public's mind. Especially the Fujinons. I got the FX3 as a backup to the Contax 139 as I stated above, which was lucky. The 139 died, but the FX3 keeps on working. And yep, they take all the Contax T* lenses and keep working if the meter battery dies. What more to want? You can keep your Nikons and Canons, Minoltas, and what-not. Give me those old screw mount lenses anytime.

Old 10-28-2004   #52
JohnL
Very confused

My first SLR (and my first new camera) was a Canon Pellix. Fixed semi-transparent mirror, and quiet as a rangefinder. In fact, the main reason I bought it rather than a 7s was the bayonet lens mount. I'd had a 30+ year old Leica I for a few years at this time, and I couldn't see the charm of screw threads for lenses. That was about 1966. Some years later I traded the whole lot for some MF gear. Later still, I went back to 35mm with Olympus OMs (various). Most of that kit was eventually stolen. Looking back, I think the Pellix was my favourite 35mm of all.

Old 10-28-2004   #53
Kin Lau

I'm keeping the m42's for now. I have an adapter for m42->EOS & a m42->MD which I've used with quite a few lenses. Recently picked up a monster Pentacon 300/4 in m42 but haven't shot with it yet.

I'd love to get a SMC 50/1.4 and a good 135/2.8 . The "Karl-Gener" 135/2.8 I have, isn't quite that sharp.

I actually have 2 Fujinon EBC 50/1.7's and they're quite nice, the Yashica ML 50/1.9 in Y/C is very nice also.

Old 10-28-2004   #54
WDG

My first SLR was a Nikon FM in 1982, and I still use it. In the last five years I've added an FE2 and an F Photomic FTn. The FE2 quickly made itself my favorite for nearly all uses, especially night photography. As for the F, I've always loved the chrome slab face of the Photomic FTn finder, and am enjoying shooting with this body, as well.

I also have a beater Mamiya RB67, in need of work, but got it for $50 with a 90mm, 180mm, two backs and a prism finder. Probably a bit large for what most folks think of in an SLR, but there it is.

Regarding Alpa, I was not at all familiar with these, and must admit this thread has peaked my curiosity. Who works on these in the US, if I should pick one up... Essex?

another Nikon fan checking in
Old 10-28-2004   #55
petewho

another Nikon fan checking in

I have a F3HP that I inherited from family, and it came with three lenses. I added two more lenses and a FM2 backup body to round-out the outfit. I love the F3, but the FM2 is definitely more of a "classic" to me... Totally mechanical, reliable and compact. The meter is 60/40 weighted, which I wouldn't like except that I never use it's meter (have never even put a battery in it). Lately I use the FM2 more than the F3, and I can't explain why I like it more.

I also have a Canon AE1 which was my first ever camera. I still love that camera, and it feels more natural in my hands than anything else - even moreso than my rangefinders!

Old 10-28-2004   #56
lars

OM1 for me. That's what I started with and added an OM10 (impulse buy) and an OM2s after that. Great little cameras. Still have my OM1 but it doesn't wind properly all the time.

My Dad recently gave me his F and F2, and my father-in-law gave me another F. I like the big ol' Nikon F cameras but they're too damned heavy for me to want to lug around, especially since I have three much lighter choices (digital, RF, and modern SLR).

To be honest, the SLR I like the most out of them all is the one I have right now, my Minolta Maxxum 7. If it's the last film SLR I ever buy, it's a nice one to end on.

Larry

Old 10-31-2004   #57
st3ph3nm

My favourite SLR is my brother's Pentax MX, which I borrowed a few years back to try out. It really got me into photography seriously, and shortly afterwards I bought my ME-Super. Happy as I am with the ME, the MX is still my favourite - a glance at the top of the camera tells you what it's all set at, and similarly, through the viewfinder you get both shutter speed and aperture settings. Not to mention DOF preview (which I didn't use much, admittedly). Great little camera (though a little heavier than the ME)

Cheers,
Steve

Old 11-01-2004   #58
furcafe

Zeiss Ikon Contarex Special, the complete opposite of the small, lightweight RF. Stellar glass, bright VF (unlike the later Supers), & optional waist-level finder compensate for the relatively heavy weight, large size, & lack of features (no meter or convenient DoF preview). Superlative mechanical precision, finish, & quality of construction make it true "guy jewelry" as well as a great photographic tool.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Last edited by furcafe : 11-01-2004 at 13:01.

Old 11-01-2004   #59
Rich Silfver

Mmm...Contarex Special. Now there's a camera!

Old 11-02-2004   #60
furcafe

Yes, it's certainly the shiniest camera I own! Here's a picture of 1 that Ritz Collectibles is selling . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Silfver
Mmm...Contarex Special. Now there's a camera!
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 11-02-2004   #61
Honu-Hugger

The Contarex is so beautiful, and I am so weak, and eBay is so easy...

D2

No More "Treats" for Now
Old 11-02-2004   #62
Honu-Hugger

No More "Treats" for Now

Another favorite SLR, just acquired from "you-know-where"

D2

Last edited by Honu-Hugger : 11-03-2004 at 10:40.

Old 11-02-2004   #63
Russ

Let's not forget the superb, Buster Brown shoebox pinhole camera!

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 11-03-2004   #64
Scarpia

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Let's not forget the superb, Buster Brown shoebox pinhole camera!

Russ
How did the mirror work?
Kurt M.

Old 11-03-2004   #65
Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarpia
How did the mirror work?
Kurt M.
It's the usual mirror lock-up, activated with the standard, paper clip-rubber band mechanism.

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 11-07-2004   #66
l.mar

My first "serious" camera was an SLR -- a massy Ricoh Singlex TLS with an equally sturdy Rikenon 50 mm f1.8 lens. Paired with a "Prinzmatic" 200 mm f 3.5 telephoto (62 mm filter size -- also usable as a self-defense weapon), this combination "broke me into" photography, shooting sports and small events for local newspapers. I did not pursue photojournalism, but after getting my first "real" paycheck after college, traded in the Ricoh for a Nikon FM2 w/50 mm f1.8 Nikkor.

Of course, "I always wanted a Nikon."

While not exactly a "classic," the FM2 is my favorite and currently only SLR, having succumbed to the 35mm rangefinder and folding/collapsible lens medium format malady.

Old 11-07-2004   #67
Nikon Bob

Yet anther vote for Nikon SLRs as favourites. An F2AS when I feel strong enough to tote it and any of the FM/FE series as walk around/travel cameras. Unfortunately Nikon has lost me with their digital efforts so far at least.

Old 11-07-2004   #68
Brian Sweeney

I also like the Kodak Retina SLR's for their quiet operation. Try to keep them working though; I am down to one really solid Retina Reflex-S that I replaced the prism with one from a Minolta XG9. It was a perfect fit and brightened up the view tremendously.

Old 11-07-2004   #69
rick oleson

I have Nikons, Canons, Pentices, various East and West German oddities and one Zenit.... but my favorite SLR has always been and remains the Olympus OM1. By a good margin it's the quietest of my SLRs; but it's also the best handling, and certainly in the top rank for ruggedness and reliability. And it's pretty, too.

=

Old 11-08-2004   #70
doubs43

Who knew when I bought my first OM-1 in November of 1973 that it would be considered a "classic" 30 years later? My first OM-1 was not equiped for a motor drive and I used it for 3 years before trading it in on an OM-1n that I still have.

Less than a year later, I also purchased an OM-2n which I also still have. I have lens for them from 21mm - 400mm. Both cameras work perfectly and if I want to use an SLR in 35mm, they are what I use.

Old 11-08-2004   #71
andrewn

In recent years I have owned a Contarex Bullseye, magnificent lenses but a bit of a beast to use, a Nikon F3, very efficeint but "no soul", and my first "serious" camera was an Olympus OM1.

I love Leica Ms but if I was going to use an SLR it would have to be either an icon like the Nikon F1 or something a bit quirky and rare like an Alpa...

Old 11-08-2004   #72
Doug

doubs43, we seem to have followed parallel tracks... with me on the Pentax track. My first Spotmatic in 1965 was not equipped for motor drive, and some years later I traded it for a Motor Drive Spotmatic that I still have, and is rather unusual. (In the intervening time I got my Leica M2). A couple years later I got a Pentax ES (Electro-Spotmatic) which I also still have. They both still work fine, and I never thought at the time they'd be classics. The OMs are cool too

Old 11-08-2004   #73
Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by doubs43
Who knew when I bought my first OM-1 in November of 1973 that it would be considered a "classic" 30 years later? My first OM-1 was not equiped for a motor drive and I used it for 3 years before trading it in on an OM-1n that I still have.

Less than a year later, I also purchased an OM-2n which I also still have. I have lens for them from 21mm - 400mm. Both cameras work perfectly and if I want to use an SLR in 35mm, they are what I use.
Speaking of OM1's, A friend of mine wants me to sell her OM1n for her. It's in very nice condition. What can she expect to receive for it these days?

Thanks
Russ

Old 11-08-2004   #74
back alley
IMAGES

just the body?

Old 11-08-2004   #75
Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by backalley photo
just the body?
Joe

It's the body, in very nice shape, a Star D 28-80 f/3.5 zoom, a Kiron 80-200 f/4 zoom and a few assorted filters for each lens, and a few small assorted items, that escape me at the moment.

Russ

Old 11-08-2004   #76
doubs43

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
doubs43, we seem to have followed parallel tracks... with me on the Pentax track. My first Spotmatic in 1965 was not equipped for motor drive, and some years later I traded it for a Motor Drive Spotmatic that I still have, and is rather unusual. (In the intervening time I got my Leica M2). A couple years later I got a Pentax ES (Electro-Spotmatic) which I also still have. They both still work fine, and I never thought at the time they'd be classics. The OMs are cool too
Doug, I wanted a Pentax Spotmatic but couldn't afford one at the time. I have one now - a Spotmatic II - that I rarely use as I prefer my rangefinder cameras. I picked up the Spotmatic II on ebay for less than $40 with a 28mm Vivitar lens. The owner didn't know if it worked and I took a chance. I already had a Meyer 50mm f/1.8 Oreston that works beautifully and is an excellent lens. I can even use my Helios-40 on it; an 85mm f/1.5 beast with 39mm threads. A 42mm thread converter and I'm in business.

My first OM-1 was purchased from the BX at Osan AB, Korea and the subsequent OM-1n and OM-2n from a dealer on Okinawa. I wish I had purchased a few more lens but what I have are all excellent and I don't use the cameras enough now to justify buying more.

Old 11-08-2004   #77
Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Joe

It's the body, in very nice shape, a Star D 28-80 f/3.5 zoom, a Kiron 80-200 f/4 zoom and a few assorted filters for each lens, and a few small assorted items, that escape me at the moment.

Russ
Joe

I also forgot to mention that there is also a fixed 35mm or 50mm Olympus lens.

Did anyone ever print up the Rangefinder Forum T-shirts? If so, how do I go about procuring one?

Thanks
Russ

Old 11-08-2004   #78
back alley
IMAGES

hey russ,

i just looked over at ebay for some prices but they are all over the map.

t-shirt idea kinda died, i think.
i don't remember jorge ever weighing in on that either.

jorge did mention 'better' hats but that was awhile ago.

joe

Old 11-08-2004   #79
wierdcollector

Hi Russ,
If you decide to sell just the OM 1n body or the body and Kiron keep me in mind or let us know when you list it with the E site. I have oodles of lenses and an OM 10 and OMG but am looking for a nice OM 1 or OM 2.

Old 11-08-2004   #80
Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by wierdcollector
Hi Russ,
If you decide to sell just the OM 1n body or the body and Kiron keep me in mind or let us know when you list it with the E site. I have oodles of lenses and an OM 10 and OMG but am looking for a nice OM 1 or OM 2.
Weirdcollector

It's not going to E-bay. I'd rather just sell it to a buddy, acquaintence, etc. There is a young photo student that is interested in it. If she bails on it, you'll be the first to know. I have no idea what the system is worth. The body is in great shape, and I can vouch for the quality of the Kiron 80-200 f/4 lens. After all, I am the Kiron Kid. As Joe will attest to.

Russ