Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

whats your favorite classic 35mm slr?
Old 10-24-2004   #1
wblanchard

whats your favorite classic 35mm slr?

I know we all love our rangefinders, but do you ever take out your old SLR and shoot? My favorite one to use is my old Canon T70 with FD lens mount. This camera does everything a modern AF camera does, except AF..which is fine for me. Never miss a shot whie waiting for it to hunt.

What do you like to use from time to time?

Last edited by wblanchard : 10-24-2004 at 06:22.

Old 10-24-2004   #2
wierdcollector

Like RF's, I have plenty of SLR's but I tend to use my Pentax equipment, both M42 screw mount and K mount more than any of the others. This week, weather permitting I intend to use both my Contax SLR's as part of a project.

Old 10-24-2004   #3
peter_n
~

I have one, a Nikon F3 with an MD-4 motor drive. The antithesis of an RF, but a great camera. Indestructible!

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-24-2004   #4
back alley
IMAGES

don't have any slr cams anymore.
my favourite would be the canon T90 with the oly om1/2 close behind.
i know they are very different cameras but i really liked them both depending on my subject matter.

joe

Old 10-24-2004   #5
rover

I learned on Minolta SRTs, so I will have to go with those. I have a 101 and 201. I keep thinking of sending one of them for a CLA, but then figure that I can buy a nice CLA'd 102 off Ebay for about the same price.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 10-24-2004   #6
wblanchard

Quote:
Originally posted by backalley photo
don't have any slr cams anymore.
my favourite would be the canon T90 with the oly om1/2 close behind.
i know they are very different cameras but i really liked them both depending on my subject matter.

joe
I had an OM-1 and it made the loudest noise when I would shoot..people really could tell that I took a photograph! Not recommended for wedding ceremonies or street photography.

Old 10-24-2004   #7
plexi

I use my SLR`s just as much, mainly a Nikon F100 and D70, and I have an old Pentax ME Super, with 28mm,50mm and 135mm wich I also like very much. Those Pentax lenses are really good!

Here`s my favorite photo of my son, I used a Pentax 50mm f/1.4 at 1.4 or 2.0 ,Kodak E100VS

Old 10-24-2004   #8
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally posted by wblanchard
I had an OM-1 and it made the loudest noise when I would shoot..people really could tell that I took a photograph! Not recommended for wedding ceremonies or street photography.
i find that odd as my om was very quiet, similar to my bessa r.

joe

Old 10-24-2004   #9
Rob

Have to say Nikon F3, F2 and Nikkormat cameras with
50mm F1.4 Nikkor. Viewfinders were nice and contrasty
and easy to focus the 50mm.

Old 10-24-2004   #10
Russ

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_n
I have one, a Nikon F3 with an MD-4 motor drive. The antithesis of an RF, but a great camera. Indestructible!
That's a tough one. I love my Nikon FE-2, and my FE's. However, I would never part with the Nikon FM.

Russ

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"

Old 10-24-2004   #11
Brian Sweeney

I keep my Nikon F2as Loaded with 400speed and with a 55mm f1.2.

But, this shot is with my Pawn-Shop rescue $60 Nikon FTn with a 135mm F2.3 Vivitar Series one. Kodacolor 400 ~1/60th and wide-open.

Old 10-24-2004   #12
wlewisiii

I'm a Canon-ista I suppose. I learned on an AE-1 from the PX while in the Army and I still have (and occasionally shoot) my mother's AE-1 Program. It's a nice little camera with the 50mm F1.8 lens. I used to have a Rebel XS but I sold it recently after not using it in almost 2 years. I do admit, I have lustful thoughts about a T90 and a nice zoom.

William

Old 10-24-2004   #13
Roman

My favorite is the Pentax K2, esp. w/ an M 2.8/100mm lens; but I also like my modern MZ5n, and would love to have an LX.
I also like the Konica Autoreflex TC, but mainly for the SHARP 1.8/40 lens...

Old 10-24-2004   #14
GeneW

Olympus OM-1's for me. Still have my original pair. Didn't understand the previous comment about shutter noise. OM-1's have always been notable for pretty quiet shutters.

They've often been called the "Leicas" of 35mm SLR's. In fact the OM-1 was originally called the M-1 but Leitz objected to the name.

Several Zuiko lenses to go with it: 24/28/35/50/50macro/100/300

The neat thing: with an adapter I use the Zuiko lenses on my Canon Digital Rebel !

Gene

Old 10-24-2004   #15
wblanchard

Quote:
Originally posted by Gene
Olympus OM-1's for me. Still have my original pair. Didn't understand the previous comment about shutter noise. OM-1's have always been notable for pretty quiet shutters.

They've often been called the "Leicas" of 35mm SLR's. In fact the OM-1 was originally called the M-1 but Leitz objected to the name.

Several Zuiko lenses to go with it: 24/28/35/50/50macro/100/300

The neat thing: with an adapter I use the Zuiko lenses on my Canon Digital Rebel !

Gene
My mistake..I should of pointed out I had the motor drive on mine and everytime I would shoot at a wedding, I would get looks.

Old 10-24-2004   #16
GeneW

LOL, D2! That really made me smile...

Quote:
My mistake..I should of pointed out I had the motor drive on mine and everytime I would shoot at a wedding, I would get looks.
Ah, now I understand! Yes, I think a motor drive on any SLR would be ... noticeable

Gene

Old 10-24-2004   #17
Oldprof

My favorite classic SLR is the Canon FT-QL which I purchased in 1970. I think it was the first Canon SLR with through-the-lens metering, but the metering was in the stop down mode only (unlike the subsequent FTb-QL which allowed metering with the lens wide open). The FT-QL metered a partial area which was visible in the viewfinder as a slightly darkened rectangle ... not quite a spot meter, but this system did allow for very accurate selective metering of a scene. I much preferred this system to competing SLRs that used ill-defined "center-weighted" metering with no indication of the metered area in the viewfinder.

The Canon FT-QL exuded quality. It was built like a tank and all of its controls were extremely smooth to operate. The enormously popular Canon FTb-QL followed in its footsteps.

Old 10-24-2004   #18
sfaust

I have 4 SLR's. The only one that would be considered a classic would be the Nikon FG or Nikon FA, and those are probably both a stretch. I used to have an OM-2s with a couple of lenses that I used to keep in the car as my compact setup. I miss that camera, but it focuses opposite of Nikon, and I found at work I was trying to focus in the opposite direction and missing shots. So I got the FG and FA instead. The FG is very compact, but not like an OM.

Old 10-24-2004   #19
chenick
Nick's my name!

I have 2 working SLRs - a Mamiya/Sekor 500DTL - a brick which feels indestructible. I rarely use it, I find it hard to focus and meter. Only keeping it cos I don't think it's worth selling

My other SLR, which is incredibly small in comparison is a Pentax ME Super, main lens 50mm F1.4, and a selection of other lenses.

-Nick

Don't tell me rangefinders are small compared to SLRs

Stuff I use:
Bessa R3A & 50mm Nokton, 75mm Heliar | Olympus 35 SP | Olympus XA | Yashica Electro 35 GTN | Pentax ME Super, Samsung GX-1S

Old 10-24-2004   #20
Tim

Classic SLR?
Well, the only one I use is a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex IV. Now THATS a solid hunk of metal. Lovely thing, too. I love over-engineering!

Oh....anyone happen to have some pro-tessar lenses to fit a Contaflex? I'm looking for a 35mm and an 85mm, having trouble finding them.....

tim

Old 10-24-2004   #21
FrankS

Nikon F4S. Not too old, but definitely a classic. Traditional controls on a tough electronic body. This camera is my workhorse wedding 35mm camera, with a 50mm f1.4 lens and a flip flash bracket holding an SB-24. When I want a vintage SLR experience I'll load up my black Nikon F with photomic finder. These are both serious looking cameras. I also have an FG which is wonderfully compact and competent.

In Pentax I've got an ME, an MG, and a K1000. The ME and MG I'm keeping for my kids as their first SLR cameras when they get a little older. The K1000 with 50mm f2, I have in my desk drawer at work.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-24-2004   #22
bmattock

I'm an old Canon hand; my first SLR was a Canon FX from a pawnshop. I've since upgraded all the way to the Canon FTbN (black) and the Canon T60. I love Canon FD-mount glass as well as Vivitar Series 1 primes for FD-mount.

However, I've recently been seduced by my CV Bessaflex TM. I'm enjoying both.

I do have some Minolta SRT stuff - but I've decided to lay off that and concentrate on only TWO SLR systems (grin)!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

PS - This was taken today in the Wilson Rose Garden - Canon T60, Vivitar 90mm f2.5 Series 1 Macro with Vivitar Focusing Teleconverter. Kodak Ultra 400. 1/125 @ f4.0.

Last edited by bmattock : 09-25-2007 at 07:07.

Old 10-24-2004   #23
Kris

My favourite classic SLR is Miranda Auto Sensorex EE. It's my second camera and I will never sell this one. Made in 1972 with interchangable prism, spot metering, shutter priority and finely made.

Old 10-24-2004   #24
back alley
IMAGES

i had one of those!

sold it to buy my first canon f1 i think.

joe

Old 10-24-2004   #25
Kris

How could you Joe?! She's such a beauty and you got rid of her?! Shame on you!

Oh well maybe it's not a really great camera but I have a soft spot with someone named Miranda

Old 10-24-2004   #26
jauregui

My favorites are a nikon F2 with waist level, nikkormat ft3 and olympus OMG with zuiko lens.

Old 10-24-2004   #27
back alley
IMAGES

kris, part of my 'problem' is that i don't usually form a close attachment to my cameras and every now and then i get bored and sell them all off and start all over again.

the canon 'p' might be different tho.

joe

Old 10-24-2004   #28
Rich Silfver

Tough question...
Would have two pick two - one that I have...and one that I want to get:
- Olympus OM-2n (have it),
- Topcon Super D (would like to have it)

(Also on my SLR-wish-list would be a black Olympus Pen FT and a Contarex 'Bullseye') Yum...

Old 10-25-2004   #29
Doug

Classic SLRs huh... I've got a bunch, but I mostly reach for one of the Pentax ME Supers. But I've also been enjoying using this 1958 model K...

Old 10-25-2004   #30
Jeroen

A big, ugly '65 Nikon F. Plus a 28-50/3.5 or a 55/2.8...

Old 10-25-2004   #31
Stu :)

Hasselblad 500C, 150mm/4 Sonar with 35mm back

It's a SLR and uses 35mm film... kinda...

Stu

Old 10-25-2004   #32
oftheherd

Favorite one? Like most here who still have and or still use slr's, I have more than one. My first was a Yashica TL Super. Talk about tanks. I always thought of it as the poor man's Nikon. Stop down aperture metering that was always accurate.

I then got a Fujica ST901. Wanted to move up to the latest auto-exposure camera! What a beauty. Compact, and with its sbc blue cell metering, would accurately measure exposure of a black cat in a coal bin (rated to EV -3, but acutally better). Btw, the lenses on the Yashica and the Fuji's never got the public acceptance they deserved. Especially the Fuji's. Their Electron Beam Coating (the SBC on the lenses) made flare almost impossible to acquire even it you wanted it. And they were sharp.

More recently (about 3 years ago) I purchased a Fujica ST801 off eb*y along with two of the old (and real) Vivitar Series 1 lenses. (If you ever get a chance to buy a 35-85 varifocal at a reasonable price, do so, you will love it). I don't think I ever used the 801 as I let my daughter use it to try and get her off P&S's. Unfortunately as well as fortunately, it worked. I can't pry if out of her hands, and don't really want to.

After my Contax 139 went on the fritz, I could only use the f/1.4 Zeiss lens on a Yashica FX3 until I discovered that the FX 103 was a cheaper 139. I now have three as well as three less expensive (but surprisingly good) zooms from 18 to 150. Wonderfully small kit for a 35mm take anywhere.

I also have one of the old Pentax SP' pictured above by I forget who. Wonderfully classic, and fun especially with the accessory prism mounted light meter. That will get you some comments!

Now of course, if I want to take some seriously large negatives, it is still my Mamiya Super Press 23 with a normal and two wide lenses. I just never lusted so much for a telephoto with it like I do with my SLR's. Strange perhaps, because it has viewfinder frame lines for the two telephotos available for it. Still struggling to fall in love with my Olympus SP. I like it ok, just not one I reach for first.

Now you know more than you could ever possibly want to about my photo likes and dislikes.

Old 10-25-2004   #33
pshinkaw

Does this date me? I don't think of anything with an instant return mirror as a classic SLR.

For a classic I would like to go back to one of my VX series Exaktas, but they are hard to keep running at their age. However, the equally aged Exa and Exa 1 from the same time period, circa 1954 are still good solid cameras. With a manual diaphragm Carl Zeiss Tessar lens it's hard to get more classic slr.

-Paul

Old 10-25-2004   #34
khingdheano

I like my Zenit TTL with the Moscow Olympics logo on it. Built like a tank...

Old 10-25-2004   #35
Laika

I'm a big fan of the manual focus Nikon SLR's and have several (F, F3, F4, FM3a, Nikkormat FTN) of them. The one that I got first and as a teenager lusted after for years before I could afford it was the F3. Here is a pic of mine decked out with a MD-4 & MK-1. Itís a heavy beast in this setup, if I'm travelling the motor stays home

Old 10-25-2004   #36
sfaust

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Silfver
Topcon Super D (would like to have it)
The first camera I ever had was a Topcon my father gave me for my high school photography class. I'd love to find one in nice shape and buy it even if only for nostagic reasons. I can't remember what model it was, but havent found one yet that looks like it. I've only done a cursory search though.

Old 10-25-2004   #37
Doug

Doug, that old Alpa clearly has some special significance to you! Wonderful that you finally have it yourself and you will treasure it now.

My uncle was a photo enthusiast, using a Retina IIIc. I recall he dreamed of owning an Alpa, but never did.

Old 10-25-2004   #38
Kin Lau

I don't list my SLR's on my sig since it's an RF forum, but my favourite is my Zeiss Contaflex IV but unfortunately, it's shutter is acting up right now.

I've got 6 M42 SLR's, a Pentax SP II, Yashica Electro TL, Fujica ST701, Practika MTL3, Vivitar 220/SL & 450/SLD. All tanks but the SP II is my favourite of this bunch.

Main classic SLR's and my workhorses are Minolta's, SRT101, 200, XG-M, X-570, X-700 & XD-11. The XD-11 is really smooth and the SRT101 with the 58/1.4 is just a classic. I'm finding that it's easier to get quality Rokkors than quality M42's.

A recent acquisition has been a Canon AE-1 with a FL 55/1.2 and a Yashica FX-3 Super2000. I'm surprised at how light the FX-3 is and it's totally mechanical shutter is a pleasant surprise but this will end up as a gift to a friend.

Somewhere along the line, I'll probably get a MF SLR like the Kiev 60, 88 or Practisix.

Old 10-25-2004   #39
StuartR

Though my T90 is probably the most functional classic SLR (it is an incredible camera), I would put my Canon F1-N ahead of it for a favorite. The focusing screen is incredibly bright, match needle metering is very intuitive, and the camera just has a solid as a rock feeling that is unbeatable. Stick the 50mm f/1.2L on there, and you have a great low-light, high quality setup that is extremely easy to focus and use.

Old 10-25-2004   #40
nwcanonman

I, too, love my Nikon F3HP (I wear glasses). The FE2 is a great back-up and goes great with MD-12 mounted.
Still, when I go out the door (rain or shine) I keep a small RF in a pocket.
Remember, the best camera you have, is the one you have with you at the time. ~ ; - )