Why no M9 battery grip?
Old 01-16-2020   #1
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,987
Why no M9 battery grip?

I can't recall any widely known (for results) film Leica photogs with motor rewinds. HCB, GW even operated film M with one hand. Yet, they were made and obviously were in use.
But M9 with its tiny batteries...
Why here is still no after market battery grip for M9? They made one for Canon RP in China after Canon ignored to provide one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 79
Posts: 6,263
I guess the grip could have a contact insert that fits down into the usual battery chamber. It could hold AA batteries, or else it could be rechargeable. Good idea!
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #3
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I can't recall any widely known (for results) film Leica photogs with motor rewinds. HCB, GW even operated film M with one hand. Yet, they were made and obviously were in use.
But M9 with its tiny batteries...
Why here is still no after market battery grip for M9? They made one for Canon RP in China after Canon ignored to provide one.
How many shots do you get on a charged battery?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
How many shots do you get on a charged battery?

I'm not in CA, I'm in CA.


After -10 C it is not about how many shots, but if camera could last more than one hour. Colder it goes, faster it dies. Two batteries grips somehow makes it longer than two times of single in the cold.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I guess the grip could have a contact insert that fits down into the usual battery chamber. It could hold AA batteries, or else it could be rechargeable. Good idea!

This is how most battery grips work.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #6
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 79
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
This is how most battery grips work.
Well, the other idea is the way it's done on the Nikon FA, which has a set of contacts in the bottom plate that mate with contacts of the motor drive.
That way, when the MD-15 drive is fitted, you don't need to install the camera's own battery. But since the M9 has no such contacts on the bottom, well . . . you get the idea.
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #7
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
... Two batteries grips somehow makes it longer than two times of single in the cold.
Holding onto the battery grip also keeps it warmer than if those batteries were instead in a bottom attachment. So that may allow you to use the camera longer.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #8
Archlich
Registered User
 
Archlich is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,348
Too few the demand. Also it’s too demanding to manufacture for that little demand. Imagine how many M owners would like to have a plastic bottom plate attached to the camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020   #9
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I'm not in CA, I'm in CA.


After -10 C it is not about how many shots, but if camera could last more than one hour. Colder it goes, faster it dies. Two batteries grips somehow makes it longer than two times of single in the cold.
You weren't clear on that.
Keep one of those hand warmers with your camera, it will keep it warm and your battery life up.
Each one provides up to 10 hours of heat.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Warm...44218235&psc=1
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Holding onto the battery grip also keeps it warmer than if those batteries were instead in a bottom attachment. So that may allow you to use the camera longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
You weren't clear on that.
Keep one of those hand warmers with your camera, it will keep it warm and your battery life up.
Each one provides up to 10 hours of heat.
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Warm...44218235&psc=1

To keep camera grip warm below under -10 C I will need to use my bare hand or something known for ice fishing.
In Canada we have chill factor, one of determining is how soon frozen flesh will start to separate from bones.
Keeping camera in the mitten with warming pack doesn’t sound good either.
It is not good for camera to have top of it frozen to -10 and bottom at -20 C.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020   #11
ruby.monkey
Registered User
 
ruby.monkey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Garden of England
Age: 49
Posts: 4,616
Wouldn't you need a separate battery pack on a lead, that you could shove down your underpants to keep it warm?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020   #12
rfaspen
Registered User
 
rfaspen's Avatar
 
rfaspen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Wouldn't you need a separate battery pack on a lead, that you could shove down your underpants to keep it warm?
In theory that should work. M9 has a USB port that can be used for tethered shooting.....bit not likely set up to use bus power in camera functions. So, would instead require some kind of custom base plate with contacts into battery compartment and cord to a custom made battery holder.....then hope V and mA values are not significantly affected by R of the cord length

I wouldn't mind an M9 battery grip if it were compact AND used readily available battery type.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Wouldn't you need a separate battery pack on a lead, that you could shove down your underpants to keep it warm?
In Canada we don't use this as the batteries placement.
We have top coat for it with inner pockets. Keeps mobile phone warm enough.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:04.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.