Old 01-14-2020   #41
furcafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
. . .

PS: it comes normally with the S3 reissue, despite the S3 having native 35mm frame lines, while the reissue 3.5cm f/1.8 comes with the SP, that has the 1:1 viewfinder that works best for 50mm lenses and just has a smaller squinty "wide-angle" VF. Strange choice!

Indeed it was a strange choice of lens + body combos, but it was a great incentive to buy both reissues & swap lenses!
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 01-14-2020   #42
splitimageview

Although the Nikkor was more optimized for performance at closer distance, this looks extreme; optimizing for close doesn't imply 'infinity is woefully poor.' Would you be interested in comparing against another copy?

Might also help to shoot both on the same camera to eliminate potential film plane discrepancies.

Old 01-14-2020   #43
furcafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Although the Nikkor was more optimized for performance at closer distance, this looks extreme; optimizing for close doesn't imply 'infinity is woefully poor.' Would you be interested in comparing against another copy?

Might also help to shoot both on the same camera to eliminate potential film plane discrepancies.
There is a lot more sample variation in 1950s lenses than today's, but Huss's results are generally consistent w/my experience w/the 5 5cm/1.4 Nikkor-S I've owned (3 in S mount, 2 in LTM). I think my post WWII 50/1.5 Zeiss-Opton/Carl Zeiss Sonnars for the Contax perform better than the Nikkors as landscape lenses, but I would chalk that up to my prior point of the Nikkors pushing the Sonnar design (in this case the pre-WWII Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm/1.5 Sonnar) to its late 1940s-1960s limits.

If you can find one, the rare Carl Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar in S mount for the Japanese market in 2008 is the best option for a modern Nikon RF Sonnar as it has the same design as the C Sonnar in Leica M mount. The CV 50/1.5 Nokton is S mount is also a good all-around fast 50.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 01-16-2020   #44
Huss

My solution arrived today.

Old 01-16-2020   #45
CharlesDAMorgan

That looks nice!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 01-16-2020   #46
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
That looks nice!
Only from that angle! Add the hood and look at it any other way, and it has a face only a mother could love...

Old 01-16-2020   #47
furcafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Only from that angle! Add the hood and look at it any other way, and it has a face only a mother could love...

Ha, I think the CV 50/3.5 Heliar in S Mount does come from the "Buck Rogers" school of industrial design!
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #48
TenEleven

I just want to add my couple of cents to this:

1. I do not think Huss' Nikkor 5cm/1.4 is an outlier. Mine (I have 3 copies in LTM (one 'Tokyo' one) and S mount) behave similarly. The corners are just not as sharp as the center until f/11 ~

2. The Nikkor 5cm/2 is the overall more balanced lens and you get sharp corners by f/5.6

3. The Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnars especially the post-war ones are also more balanced and you get landscape-sharp corners by f/8 the latest, most by f/5.6 (depending on your copy) the price you pay is less central acutance than the Nikkors

4. If you find a rare good-condition post-war Zeiss 50/2 Sonnar you get good corners by f/4 - the conclusion is that "speed" comes at a price. Always did, regardless of design.

In conclusion, there is nothing "wrong" with Huss' lens or the Nikkor 5cm 1.4. The plain fact is that the optical designers have to make certain compromises and are perhaps going after different goals.

Edit: Just saw that furcafe basically said the same. I also like your shots on your flickr! *tips hat*

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #49
TenEleven

I just wanted to add a bit more helpful info for people reading this later: The black f/1.4 s-mount Nikkors generally do a little bit better than their silver brethren. But they all exhibit the same tendencies (not very amazing corner performance).

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #50
RObert Budding

Quote:
Checked the Nikkor 5cm 1.4 just now. It's in perfect shape.. Clear, no haze, no separation.
Guess I couldn't expect it to match up to a P&S. No wonder Leica won the RF war!!

Sweet lens for close up to mid distance. Useless for landscape.
The rangefinder wars were won by Nikon with the F-mount.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #51
TenEleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
Correct. Also I think things would have gone better for Nikon/Zeiss if Nikon hadn't messed up the back-focus distance of the Contax and made a 100% faithful replica as that would have meant a bigger ecosystem.

Some of my Contax lenses absolutely trounce their period Leitz brethren. "Better" does not always figure.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #52
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RObert Budding View Post
Nikon made an F mount rangefinder?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #53
TenEleven

Quote:
Nikon made an F mount rangefinder?
Nikon released the F and the subsequent SLR boom basically buried Leitz. Post 1960 almost no pro newspaper photographers used a Leica. They limped on - only to get later swallowed up by a French fashion bag maker... I guess they're still a fashion brand, sort of ...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #54
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenEleven View Post
Nikon released the F and the subsequent SLR boom basically buried Leitz. Post 1960 almost no pro newspaper photographers used a Leica. They limped on - only to get later swallowed up by a French fashion bag maker... I guess they're still a fashion brand, sort of ...
Ohhh so Nikon quit making RF cameras. While Leica makes them to this day.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #55
Huss

The Nikon 50 1.4 is fabulous at close to mid distance: