Self loader and goodies - I wonder if this ID11 still works!
Old 09-26-2019   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Self loader and goodies - I wonder if this ID11 still works!

My neighbour Tony, a lovely chap who used to do a lot of bulk loading and his own development, kindly gave me all his kit. Apart from a roll of Agfa Gevaert CT18, in the loader is some Ilford FP4 from 1994, and unopened ID11, IN-1 stop and Paterson fix. All the reels are in lovely shape but need to be tested for light leaks.

I am going to try some of the FP4 for fun - I've just loaded my first reel without huge problem (so it will all go terribly wrong). I'm joking about using the ID11, but I wonder if it is still viable.

All bought from a store just 3 miles away that had everything - the Euro Foto Centre - but long since vanished. A rather nice reminder of amateur photography only 25 years ago!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 09-26-2019   #2
BernardL

ID-11 (powder) should be OK. Stop bath also. I'd be doubtful of the fixer. Look inside if you see some yellow sulfur deposit; and check the clearing time of a piece of undeveloped FP4: with 1+4 dilution, should of order 30s.

Old 09-26-2019   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks Bernard. I'm inclined to keep it all unopened as a little relic, but part of me is highly curious!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 09-26-2019   #4
David Hughes
David Hughes

Agfa CT 18, sighs and then sobs quietly...

Old 09-26-2019   #5
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Charles,

Powdered developers unopened have an indefinite shelf life.

Cal

Old 09-26-2019   #6
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Powdered developers unopened have an indefinite shelf life.
No they don't, were they ID-11 or D76.

The powder may get oxydized as everything out there. I recently mixed up some ID-11 which was, and by far, not that old, and it turned out to be DOA. One of the two powders had become a bit brown and once all mixed up and dissolved the stock solution was dark brown with some precipitates. I dumped it and I did it right.

This one will turn out to be still good if both the two powders are still all white and if they all dissolve properly. But the probability is very low.
If not, it's dead and must not be used.

So : ID-11, fixer, FP4+, CT-18 : all unusable (developer and fixer are resp. oxydized and sulfurized, FP4+ film is now veiled, CT-18 film is beyond this world).
Stop bath : usable, but you must filter it (there is for sure an acetic acid "mother" at the bottom of the bottle).
The two really interesting things of that kit are the bulk loader and the metal film cannister.

Old 09-26-2019   #7
CharlesDAMorgan

I've decided to keep it unopened.

Just shot a few frames with the FP4 and developed them in FX39. Most are looking very good as they dry.

Old 09-26-2019   #8
David Hughes
David Hughes

Ilford FP4 Plus, surely? Modern in other words. You are very lucky, btw. I love those job lots of photo stuff, you never, ever know what you'll find.

Regards, David

Old 09-26-2019   #9
lynnb

I bought some long expired ID-11 from a recycling store, mixed it up.. it was discoloured light brown, with precipitates but I used it anyway after putting the mixed developer through some filter paper to remove the precipitates and gunk, to develop a few rolls of HP5+. The results were definitely not optimal, but still usable with some post processing in LR6 after scanning:

HP5+ @iso400 in expired ID-11 1+1

HP5+ @iso800 in expired ID-11 undiluted
Flickr

Old 09-26-2019   #10
CharlesDAMorgan

David - I'll compromise on FP4+. Indeed I am lucky, this is all very neat, Tony has offered me his enlarger (not that I need it with two in the wardrobe) too as he's never going to use it again. He did his own colour in the past as it was the only way he could afford it.

The ID11 has a hole in the pack and that coming out is white if a bit lumpy. I might try some of the free FP4+ for the fun of it.

Lynn - thanks, I love the tones of the last one.

Old 09-26-2019   #11
Highway 61
Revisited

New ID-11 (or D76 which is the same and even less expensive) is dirt cheap if used at 1:1 (what it's mainly designed for).

Why would you want to use 25 years old oxydized ID-11 at the risk of ruining some nice pics ?

Old 09-26-2019   #12
CharlesDAMorgan

I'll do 2 or 3 shots of roses in my garden, develop and see the results. If horrible, chuck, if not, nothing lost bar a small use of hypo.

It's hardly worth worrying about.

Old 09-26-2019   #13
CharlesDAMorgan

Well, I am very pleasantly surprised with the results of 25 year old FP4+, shot at box speed and developed in FX39 1:9 for the prescribed time - there might have been a touch more developer than normal but we are talking peanuts. Shot wide open at f1.4 on my Leicaflex SL2 with Summilux R 80mm and 2.5cm macro tubes.

Old 09-26-2019   #14
Ronald M

Developers in metal cans last a long time. Plastic or aluminum pouches no so much.

Cans have not been used since maybe 1980.