Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

View Poll Results: M240 at current market value
A safe bet. Buy it! 55 59.78%
It's about the same as any other digital camera. 22 23.91%
A money pit. Do not buy! 15 16.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-22-2019   #121
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,375
I have seen such comments before, and maybe this is why I am still looking for some other options such as SL, SL2, M10.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2019   #122
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski's Avatar
 
jarski is online now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,628
Am on two week new year holiday in Malaysia, 3 days left. M240 battery seems to last forever, am now down to 60% and didn't even bring the charger with me. There's been few zoom days too, when Sony has been busy and Leica in hotel room. No wake up or shutdown lag on my camera, like someone recently commenting it being a "huge". One downside shooting rf and mirrorless parallel is the difference in metering. At first underexposed my Leica shots when just shooting away like with Sony.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #123
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger View Post
I have a MP240 and a Leica SL. The 240 gets no use, for two reasons : 1. Huge time lag when the camera goes to sleep or is off, until you can fire the shutter; makes it almost useless in street shooting situation when you need a quick response 2. Shutter sound sounds like a Nikon F compare to super smooth and quiet Leica SL. My MP 240 will be going on eBay soon
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Just picked up my M240, turned it on and it was ready to shoot before I even had it to my eye.
And there is zero lag time waking it up from going to sleep. The moment I touch the shutter button it wakes and can take a pic.

As can be seen in this video I shot just to dismiss bogus info like this:
Leica M240 wake up time by desmolicious, on Flickr


Click on the link.... you can see the moment I tap the shutter button the camera wakes up, the frame lines appear and a shot is taken all to near simultaneously.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #124
ktmrider
Registered User
 
ktmrider is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: el paso, texas
Age: 67
Posts: 1,242
If my MP240 goes to sleep, it is awake and ready to use in under two seconds. Maybe you should get yours checked by Leica.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #125
f.hayek
Registered User
 
f.hayek is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger View Post
I have a MP240 and a Leica SL. The 240 gets no use, for two reasons : 1. Huge time lag when the camera goes to sleep or is off, until you can fire the shutter; makes it almost useless in street shooting situation when you need a quick response 2. Shutter sound sounds like a Nikon F compare to super smooth and quiet Leica SL. My MP 240 will be going on eBay soon
1+

Skipped the M240 altogether. Fat & noisy. A technically superior camera to the ISO and DR-limited M9, for sure, and none of the loud whiz-and-whirl of the M9. I didn't need video and it just didn't sit right in the hands.

The M10-P on the other hand, is a just brilliant. Quiet (!!), quick and fits just right. For sure not as quiet as an SL but also smaller. The SL is an old SLR-sized camera and I don't want to go back. Not to mention the absurdly large & heavy native L-mount lenses no matter how 'good' they are. However, the EVF on the SL is hands-down the best still out there.

Considering that an M9 with a new sensor is beginning to approximate the price of a used M240, the latter is the far better deal.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #126
Freakscene
Deregistered user
 
Freakscene's Avatar
 
Freakscene is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In exile
Posts: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Just picked up my M240, turned it on and it was ready to shoot before I even had it to my eye.
And there is zero lag time waking it up from going to sleep. The moment I touch the shutter button it wakes and can take a pic.

As can be seen in this video I shot just to dismiss bogus info like this:

Leica M240 wake up time by desmolicious, on Flickr
Perhaps they vary. Mine is slow to wake, 3-4s, Leica inspected and serviced it and responded that it was in spec. My 246 is also much slower to wake from sleep mode than my MM was. Apart from this the 240 and 246 are vastly superior to the M9/MM.

At the link I just get a still, not a video.

Marty
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #127
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.hayek View Post
1+

Skipped the M240 altogether. Fat & noisy. A technically superior camera to the ISO and DR-limited M9, for sure, and none of the loud whiz-and-whirl of the M9. I didn't need video and it just didn't sit right in the hands.

The M10-P on the other hand, is a just brilliant. Quiet (!!), quick and fits just right. For sure not as quiet as an SL but also smaller. The SL is an old SLR-sized camera and I don't want to go back. Not to mention the absurdly large & heavy native L-mount lenses no matter how 'good' they are. However, the EVF on the SL is hands-down the best still out there.

Considering that an M9 with a new sensor is beginning to approximate the price of a used M240, the latter is the far better deal.
You say it’s loud, yet I’ve shot them side by side w an M10 and couldn’t tell any difference in sound.
Weird....
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #128
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
Perhaps they vary. Mine is slow to wake, 3-4s, Leica inspected and serviced it and responded that it was in spec. My 246 is also much slower to wake from sleep mode than my MM was. Apart from this the 240 and 246 are vastly superior to the M9/MM.

At the link I just get a still, not a video.

Marty
Click on the link in blue just under the image. Not sure why the image posted.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #129
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,107
3 full sec to start up Huss..
If you turned it on right at the start of the video..
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #130
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
3 full sec to start up Huss..
If you turned it on right at the start of the video..
that is when I started filming. The camera is turned on but asleep. The moment I tap the shutter the frame lines turn on and I can take a pic as you can see. If I didn’t do that the video would have been 1/2 sec long!
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #131
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
If I didn’t do that the video would have been 1/2 sec long!
Jeeze thats fast!
I really should get one of those...lol..
I've got so much M glass..but no M digital body to actually use them on..
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #132
Doug
Moderator
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Doug is offline
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Washington, USA
Posts: 13,277
Various SD cards can affect the wake/start time, possibly a reason for different experiences...
__________________
Doug’s Gallery
RFF on Facebook
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #133
f.hayek
Registered User
 
f.hayek is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
You say it’s loud, yet I’ve shot them side by side w an M10 and couldn’t tell any difference in sound.
Weird....
Huh?

The M10 was quieter than my experience with the M240, but not by much. The M10-P is a whole other creature. The SL is yet another leap beyond. That's what I was saying.

Point I was trying to make, perhaps I did it poorly, was my anecdotal experience with the four mentioned. At the prices I see the M240, it's a steal for what you get.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #134
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Jeeze thats fast!
I really should get one of those...lol..
I've got so much M glass..but no M digital body to actually use them on..
It is much much quicker starting up than my Nikon Z7. When you turn that on you hear the IBIS mechanism reset then it is ready. Of course the M does not have IBIS but still.

Perhaps people are having a delay due to memory cards being used?
I'm using cheapo ones - SanDisk Extreme 45mbs 16GB!! Why not larger? Cuz I get about 500 RAW shots per card and I have never ever shot that much in one day. I shoot digital like film, then download at the end of day.
I do carry a spare in case but have never needed it.

One other thing, my M240 is the limited edition 100 year version. I think they made 100 in black and in silver but I really doubt there is any difference under the bonnet. Just the cute engraving on the top.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #135
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Just the cute engraving on the top.
Never underestimate..the power of...cute..lol..
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #136
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
J
I really should get one of those...lol..
I've got so much M glass..but no M digital body to actually use them on..
$2k-ish


https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1634207

Honestly I think used Leica M240s are a screaming deal. Rock solid cameras at a legit price.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #137
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
$2k-ish


https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1634207

Honestly I think used Leica M240s are a screaming deal. Rock solid cameras at a legit price.
Quote:
Shipping only in the US
Brass showing - along top of camera and removable plate
?"Honestly"?

Is M240 paint this trash? And american only is american only price.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #138
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae
 
LCSmith's Avatar
 
LCSmith is offline
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 230
It's very interesting to me that photographers may casually switch from rangefinders to other mirrorless cameras like the SL, Sony Ax, etc. Two very different types of shooting! You must simply choose a tool and master it. The tool does not matter so much as your mastery. But buying new things is easier than mastery.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #139
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
?"Honestly"?

Is M240 paint this trash?
Just like any other black paint Leica.
Looking at this one it looks like it has been intentionally brassed to me to make it look more "legit". Kinda like the Lenny Kravitz Correspondent edition, but for $30K less.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #140
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSmith View Post
It's very interesting to me that photographers may casually switch from rangefinders to other mirrorless cameras like the SL, Sony Ax, etc. Two very different types of shooting! You must simply choose a tool and master it. The tool does not matter so much as your mastery. But buying new things is easier than mastery.
If you can master your mastery then you will master your tool.
Wait, what are we talking about?
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #141
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,107
That ones been thru...World War...Z...
Zombie cam..


Quote:
If you can master your mastery then you will master your tool.
Wait, what are we talking about?
Photographic..masterbation..
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #142
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski's Avatar
 
jarski is online now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
That ones been thru...World War...Z...
Zombie cam..
I paid 2300eur recently. Low shutter count and protective sticker still on bottom plate...
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #143
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,375
There is an SL for sale today for $2300.
Would you prefer the M240 over the SL?
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #144
ktmrider
Registered User
 
ktmrider is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: el paso, texas
Age: 67
Posts: 1,242
The reasons I use a digital Leica are: legacy lenses and the view/rangefinder. I have no experience with the SL but have owned both the M9 and MP240. I don't have any desire to move to an M10 or other new camera system like the SL. To me the best thing about digital Leicas is that they really are not much different than the film models. But I have to say the FujiX100F is giving my MP240 a run for the money: smaller, cheaper, more technologically advanced etc.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #145
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,107
I wish Fuji would make an M copy..and exact copy..but maybe a smaller format..any format..
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #146
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
There is an SL for sale today for $2300.
Would you prefer the M240 over the SL?
Seriously? Still with that question? What has it been, 2 years now asking the same thing over and over again?

  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #147
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Just like any other black paint Leica.
Looking at this one it looks like it has been intentionally brassed to me to make it look more "legit". Kinda like the Lenny Kravitz Correspondent edition, but for $30K less.
I'm confused. Is my M4-2 black painted or it is something else?
It didn't brass even if I use it for five years now and many days in each and every year.
Or it is only digital black M?
Two sharp corners on the top plate of my M-E are shining little brass now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Week Ago   #148
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I'm confused. Is my M4-2 black painted or it is something else?
It didn't brass even if I use it for five years now and many days in each and every year.
Or it is only digital black M?
Two sharp corners on the top plate of my M-E are shining little brass now.
Your M4-2 would be like my M4-2 which is black chrome. It is much tougher than black paint.
Leica deliberately made the black paint cameras so they would wear/brass easily as some like that. I like the tough finish of the black chrome. Which is also on the M5, M7 and M-A.
I also like that the black chrome is not shiny.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:20.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.