Leica Elmarit 28mm f2.8 vs Ricoh GR1v
Old 01-07-2020   #1
Gilo25

Leica Elmarit 28mm f2.8 vs Ricoh GR1v

Has anyone had a chance of comparing side by side the results obtained with a Leica Elmarit 28mm f2.8 and a Ricoh GR1v? If yes, what were your findings?

Old 01-07-2020   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Where are five versions of this Elmarit. No, six. Each is kind of different in rendering.
You could find them in working condition, most of them. Not sure if it is the same for Ricoh...

Old 01-07-2020   #3
Huss

The zoom lens on my Rollei P&S matched my Elmarit Asph at 28mm and f2.8

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=164910

Old 01-08-2020   #4
Gilo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Where are five versions of this Elmarit. No, six. Each is kind of different in rendering.
You could find them in working condition, most of them. Not sure if it is the same for Ricoh...
I deliberately didn't want to be too specific as I don't think it is easy to find somebody who has compared a specific Elmarit 28 version with a Ricoh GR1v. If somebody has indeed had a chance to compare side by side any Elmarit 28 with any Ricoh GR1 and has something to report, it would already be enough.

Old 01-08-2020   #5
Rayt

ymt3 by ray tai, on Flickr

Old 01-08-2020   #6
Rayt

ymt5 by ray tai, on Flickr

Old 01-08-2020   #7
Rayt

I like the 28mm focal length and used to own the GR1V and various Leica 28mm Elmarits. I used the GR1V for street snaps set to 2 meters. The two photos above were shot with the GR1V. The first is reasonably sharp and I would say is comparable with the V4 Elmarit in sharpness and contrast. Overall I will say the V4 is the best Leica 28mm if you can live with f/2.8.

Old 01-08-2020   #8
Gilo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
I like the 28mm focal length and used to own the GR1V and various Leica 28mm Elmarits. I used the GR1V for street snaps set to 2 meters. The two photos above were shot with the GR1V. The first is reasonably sharp and I would say is comparable with the V4 Elmarit in sharpness and contrast. Overall I will say the V4 is the best Leica 28mm if you can live with f/2.8.
Many thanks. So, if I understand you correctly, you don't see too much of a difference between the results you get with the Leica 28 f2.8 V4 and those you get with the Ricoh Gr1v?

Old 01-08-2020   #9
Archlich

I have used both but never compared them side to side. Needless to say they're both good. The Elmarit v4 is a near-symmetrical, retrofocal design, which makes it very flat and excellent on digital (it produces little artifacts). The GR lens is non-symmetrical (I'd say it's closer to the pre-war Biogon) with exotic elements (two aspherical if memory serves). Not as flat, vignettes more, but offers a bit better resolution at larger apertures. It's very modern, comparable to the ASPH Elmarit, but not as clinical.

This Japanese website, complied over a periold of two decades, offers a comprehensive overview of almost all native wide angle lenses you can use on a M: http://geofoto.web.fc2.com/leica-lm1.html , including all versions of the Elmarits and of course both the 21 and 28 GR lenses in LTM. Try Google translate it. Low resolution example shots taken from the host's balcony are offered...at least they do help in grabbing a rough idea on how the lenses compare.

Old 01-08-2020   #10
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilo25 View Post
Many thanks. So, if I understand you correctly, you don't see too much of a difference between the results you get with the Leica 28 f2.8 V4 and those you get with the Ricoh Gr1v?
I havenít done that type of side by side lens testing so wonít say that. The 28mm Elmarit v4 is a technically perfect lens. It was the fourth try from Leica. I would say at least with sharpness and contrast the Ricoh is comparable. Ricoh did release the lens from the GR1 as a limited ltm lens. Letís say if I had replaced the Elmarit with that ltm lens my photography wouldnít suffer.

Old 01-08-2020   #11
rfaspen

Don't have the Ricoh, so you can dismiss my opinion outright and I wouldn't balk. But, I know people with the Ricoh and have looked at many of their photos as well as online acquaintenses. Even the Inspired Eye person!
I have the v4 elmarit so I've seen those images up close and personal 😏.
First, the elmarit is one of the most perfect wides I own. I just don't shoot 28 so much....a shame for this lens. The GR images appear to me quite excellent, but still a little different. Of course I can't articulate that difference, but I wonder out loud if it's a "micro contrast" thing. Or it could just as easily be a digital images are fluid thing. Or maybe it's just all the cannabis fumes I encountered earlier near campus 😎. Yeahhh man.
But seriously, check out the Inspired Eye dude.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
RobertChestnut

Instead of buying a Leica Elmarit version 4 I actually found a Ricoh 28mm f2.8 gr ltm lens. with an adapter it works flawlessly on my m4. (framing I just use the whole finder) it has a nice wight and build quality. also takes wonderfully beautiful contrasty photos. I do think it renders differnet than the Leica but in a good way. Don't really know how to describe it. Maybe a little more color pop. its smaller than the Leica too. I am not sure about the current one but its gotta be close to the same size if not smaller.