Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

View Poll Results: Vote for your most essential Hasselblad focal lengths
30mm 2 0.67%
40mm 15 5.05%
50mm 89 29.97%
60mm 34 11.45%
80mm 197 66.33%
100mm 34 11.45%
120mm 22 7.41%
150mm 73 24.58%
180mm 18 6.06%
250mm 12 4.04%
350mm 1 0.34%
500mm 3 1.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2019   #121
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I think that for the non-macro, yet still fairly close distances you plan to use it for, the 120 will serve you well. The clue here is that you plan to use an extension tube with a 150. That's close enough to justify a 120!
Sounds good to me! When the time comes I’ll keep an eye out for one.

Edit: I might just buy a CB 160mm since A) It’s inexpensive B) I like Tessar lenses and C) I’ve had good luck with my CB 60, and don’t see why I wouldn’t with the 160. Since the Hasselblad isn’t my primary system I feel less compelled to try and chase after top-shelf everything for it.

M-A | M10 | 500CM

Instagram. | Website.

Old 11-22-2019   #122
narsuitus

I have never owned a Hasselblad, but based on the medium format cameras I have owned and used, with some confidence I can say that I would consider the 80, 50, and 180mm lenses as my most essential.

Old 12-22-2019   #123
jensthoes

...Planar 100 - a lens in its own league.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-22-2019   #124
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Yes, the 100 is a special lens, in terms of its optical performance. No distortion, and very sharp, even wide open. It does seem an odd focal length to me, though. A bit too long to be normal, not long enough to be even a short tele. I have it, rather than the 80mm, and I have thought of making the switch to an 80. I do have the 60mm, and when the 100 is too long, I use my 60. But lately I've been thinking the 80mm might be a better choice, especially for handheld shooting.

I often wish the 120mm had been optimized for normal distances, and not for macro. It is a good focal length for a short tele, like using an 85mm on the Nikon. The 150 seems just a little too long for that. I think a lot of people use the 120 as a general purpose lens, whether it's meant for it, or not!

Old 12-22-2019   #125
Doug

Does the Macro 120 suffer in performance at non-macro subject distances? I understand that many macro lenses are designed with symmetrical lens arrangements that perform well at all distances...

Old 12-22-2019   #126
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Does the Macro 120 suffer in performance at non-macro subject distances? I understand that many macro lenses are designed with symmetrical lens arrangements that perform well at all distances...
Yes the data sheet shows MTFs for far and close up.
http://www.hasselbladhistorical.org/pdf/lds/CF120.pdf
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 12-22-2019   #127
FrozenInTime

Rob,

I tried the 60/100 combo, but far preferred the 80mm, and eventually sold all other lenses ( as I suspected I would do many years ago at the start of the thread ).

On Leica I now almost exclusively using the VC40/1.2 or Summilux 28/1.4 on APS-C, yielding a very similar view to the Hasselblad 80mm.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 12-22-2019   #128
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Doug, the person who was in charge of Hasselblad lens applications at Zeiss, a Dr. Fleischer, wrote on photo.net that Zeiss discourages the use of the 120 Makro-Planar outside the Macro range. I'll see if I can post a link to that thread this evening.

Old 12-22-2019   #129
ChipMcD

The 50 CF and 100CF see about equal use with the 38 on the 903 SWC close behind.

Old 12-22-2019   #130
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I have both the Makro-Planar 120 f/4 and the Sonnar 150 f/4. While the MP is definitely a better performer (both in comparison and in absolute terms) in the close up range, I wouldn't exactly call its performance poor at longer distances and infinity. You can only barely tell the difference between photos made with the 120 and the 150 at 7, 10, 15, 25 feet, and infinity ...

G

Old 12-22-2019   #131
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Here's the thread I wanted to provide a link to. Look for Dr. Kornelius J. Fleischer's remarks.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...lanar-cf.1638/

Old 12-23-2019   #132
Doug

Thanks guys for your input! Rob, the linked discussion was interesting and educational. It also seems that some Makro lenses are more strongly geared to macro use than others...

Old 12-23-2019   #133
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Thanks guys for your input! Rob, the linked discussion was interesting and educational. It also seems that some Makro lenses are more strongly geared to macro use than others...
Indeed. Someone who is Zeiss personnel is going to be pretty particular about it.

In practical use, unless you're going to the limits to get certain qualities in your images, I'd not worry about it too much. In part, because I'm not really a landscape photographer or particularly concerned about infinity focus quality most of the time, the differences are less important to my use of the lens... I really love the CF Makro-Planar 120mm! It's one of my favorite lenses for general use, I only wish it was a bit smaller and lighter.

I haven't had any problems with flare, but then again I learned years ago how to avoid situations in framing that cause flare and just naturally don't point my camera that way.

There isn't a Hasselblad lens I've used that could not return a beautiful photograph...

G

Old 12-27-2019   #134
ChipMcD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensthoes View Post
...Planar 100 - a lens in its own league.
Agreed in full.