summicron 28/2 new
Old 12-16-2019   #1
dickgillberg

summicron 28/2 new

I'm about to buy this lens. Does anybody like it? There's not much to read if I search the forum.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2019   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I have one and I like it. It's the widest lens you can use on a Leica without needing an accessory finder. There is not too much intrusion into the finder. And as for image quality? Well, it is a Summicron!

Old 12-16-2019   #3
Doug

I have both the early version and the 2016 later version and I have not noticed any differences on full-frame digital Ms. Some say they prefer the rendering of the earlier version, but I don't see it. The later lens is said to be more suited to digital sensors than the earlier lens, and again I'm oblivious.

I've used the 28 Summicron a lot on the Minolta CLE because the lovely 28mm framelines in its viewfinder make viewing a real pleasure. Same for the Leica M8, where it seems like a natural choice, and mimics about 40mm focal length.

The very thin sensor cover of the M8 is well-known to pass quite a lot of infrared, affecting color rendering not just of black artificial fabrics but also other things like green foliage. And later full-frame M sensors have slightly thicker cover glass but still pass enough infrared to be noticed, so I continue to use UV/IR cut filters routinely. OK, foundation laid... The larger full-frame digital-M sensors record cyan tinting in the corners with the 28mm Summicron with the cut filter mounted. This can be avoided by not using the cut filter, but I'm "allergic" to any IR contamination in my photos! So I routinely use CornerFix software to correct the corner tinting. This is more of an issue with such wider lenses.

This lens is a gem. Compact, fast, sharp, nice rendering.

Search the RFF Gallery for images with this lens... See "Gallery Search" on the Gallery menubar, pick the lens from the list and enjoy the trip!

Old 12-17-2019   #4
dickgillberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I have both the early version and the 2016 later version and I have not noticed any differences on full-frame digital Ms. Some say they prefer the rendering of the earlier version, but I don't see it. The later lens is said to be more suited to digital sensors than the earlier lens, and again I'm oblivious.

I've used the 28 Summicron a lot on the Minolta CLE because the lovely 28mm framelines in its viewfinder make viewing a real pleasure. Same for the Leica M8, where it seems like a natural choice, and mimics about 42mm focal length.

The very thin sensor cover of the M8 is well-known to pass quite a lot of infrared, affecting color rendering not just of black artificial fabrics but also other things like green foliage. And later full-frame M sensors have slightly thicker cover glass but still pass enough infrared to be noticed, so I continue to use UV/IR cut filters routinely. OK, foundation laid... The larger full-frame digital-M sensors record cyan tinting in the corners with the 28mm Summicron with the cut filter mounted. This can be avoided by not using the cut filter, but I'm "allergic" to any IR contamination in my photos! So I routinely use CornerFix software to correct the corner tinting. This is more of an issue with such wider lenses.

This lens is a gem. Compact, fast, sharp, nice rendering.

Search the RFF Gallery for images with this lens... See "Gallery Search" on the Gallery menubar, pick the lens from the list and enjoy the trip!
Thank's, I'll take a look and maybe put my own pics there soon.

Old 12-17-2019   #5
dickgillberg

Ok, I got the new lens, now in my hands. What a beautiful lens. Best aperture ring I had so far and the focus ring is perfect. And I had/have many M lenses. Now to test it with my M10P , M3 and MP. Only thing is the lens cap on the hood. I'm sure it's going to get lost soon, but what a lens!

Old 12-17-2019   #6
madNbad

Leica finally fixed the snap on lens hood that would pop off on occasion. Give them another decade to design a lens hood cap that will stay in place and not cost a fortune to replace.

Old 12-17-2019   #7
Doug

Forgot to mention something about the hood for the early 28 Summicron... seriously oversize to the point of being awkward. The similar but smaller hood (part# 12589) for the early v.1 35 Summilux ASPH will fit the early 28 Summicron very nicely as if made for it...

Leica part number for the early 28 Summicron lens is 11604
Leica part number for the 2016 reformulated-for-digital lens is 11672
Both use the same 6-bit coding 011010.

Old 12-18-2019   #8
dickgillberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Leica finally fixed the snap on lens hood that would pop off on occasion. Give them another decade to design a lens hood cap that will stay in place and not cost a fortune to replace.
Haha, yes lets hope so.

I had a 21 summilux with the same lens hood and I lost it right away. Just took the camera out of the bag and never found it again. Sold it without cap, it was way to bulky and heavy for my liking.

Old 12-20-2019   #9
dickgillberg

Took this last night. It looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walk1.jpg (24.9 KB, 33 views)

Old 12-22-2019   #10
ChrisC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
... the Leica M8, where it seems like a natural choice, and mimics about 40mm focal length.

... M8 is well-known to pass quite a lot of infrared, affecting color.... so I continue to use UV/IR cut filters routinely. OK, foundation laid... The larger full-frame digital-M sensors record cyan tinting in the corners with the 28mm Summicron with the cut filter mounted. This can be avoided by not using the cut filter, but I'm "allergic" to any IR contamination in my photos! So I routinely use CornerFix software to correct the corner tinting. This is more of an issue with such wider lenses.
The field of view of 28mm on the M8 is closer to 37mm. The M10 also exhibits plenty of infra red and I leave infra red cut filters on regardless of using my M8 or M10. [My 'normal' colour balance is set to 'Cloudy' on both cameras - even for bright sunshine].

........... Chris