Lens Cap for 35/2 Summicron?
Old 11-11-2019   #1
giganova

Lens Cap for 35/2 Summicron?

Hi all --

I lost the plastic end cap for my Leica 35/2 vIII Summicron on top of a glacier in the Argentine Andes, ops! So much for not littering, I'm sure a condor will eat it and die.

Any idea where I could get a replacement lens cap for the rectangular original hood or should I not bother because the cap will pop off anyway and I'll loose it again?

Old 11-11-2019   #2
DwF

Hah! I don't mean to laugh, but I was out only 4 ours ago on a rocky beach and as I switched out my 75 f 1.8 for my 35mm f2 v 4, and placed the rectangular cap in my teeth, and then my right hand. I got quickly distracted by some scene so the cap never went into my front pocket.
As my son and I were leaving I realized I'd dropped it. We searched the small area about 10 mins. That rocky surface was perfect camouflage for the cap to show itself. We were finally giving up and my son spotted it
I seem to recall that the Asph version of that lens will work on v4 but it looks to be $129.w hood at B&H. I was asking myself the same question you are, would I bother to replace it? And my next thought after recovering it was..."Leave that cap in the closet; use a filter with the hood and be good with it."

David

Old 11-11-2019   #3
pyeh

I've lost two of those things now, from different lenses, even though I'm usually pretty careful about lens caps. So annoying.
I read they are not available anymore, although I see David has seen them on sale with the hood.
Someone posted this link the other day, which is for a 3D print file:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3885092
Perhaps it might help you.