Tetenal C41 kit - developing times for the 2.5 litre kit.
Old 09-23-2019   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Tetenal C41 kit - developing times for the 2.5 litre kit.

The Tetenal kit comes with a booklet setting out developing times. As the number of films developed rises, the times get longer.

The booklet sets out the times for 500ml of fluid and for a litre. The latter allows double the number of films for the same developing time before increasing time as the 500ml.

Would I be wrong in assuming that for 2 litres you can double the number of films vs the 1 litre (the booklet is silent on 2 litres of solution).

Also developing times tend not to increase too much but the blixing times go from 4 minutes to a mind numbing 15. Is there an alternative or refresher that could be used?

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 09-23-2019   #2
WoodallP

Hi,

I use this kit and whilst I have never mixed 2L I expect that it would increase the number of films at you can handle for each timing step as long as it was well agaitated; however once mixed the chemicals last less long so you may be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As I rarely develop two 120 films together I was initially tending towards the 500ml mix but realised that usage loss would soon mean that the overall quantity would be insufficient for a full 500ml tank. The downside of 1L is that you only get two mixes and than a half mix (an incentive to buy another pack maybe). Instead of this I did four 625ml mixes meaning that any liquid loss still leaves me well above the 500ml tank capacity.

When processing I treat the 625ml as 1L in terms of the number of films used but increase the blix by half steps rather than the big jumps suggested. I also do not hesitate to increase the total number of films a little.

I will admit that almost all of my developing is for test films on cameras I have serviced so negative longevity is not a major concern; nevertheless I am happy so far. I should also mention that I scan and do not wet print.

Once mixed the chemicals will last a long time if a preserving gas is used but also remember to use it in the source bottles.

I'm also interested in how to replace the blix and keep times down; can anyone help? I have seen some discussion but it tends to be for bigger quantities.

Thanks

Last edited by WoodallP : 09-23-2019 at 03:51. Reason: Too much space

Old 09-24-2019   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

Just a quick bump!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.