Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > DIYS Modifications

DIYS Modifications DIYS aka Do It Yourself Projects - mostly gear modifications

Has anyone tried Sugru?
Old 01-17-2020   #1
madNbad

Has anyone tried Sugru?

In my never ending search to find a buffering material to keep metal eyepieces from scratching my glasses, the latest is Sugru. It's a mouldable glue that dries to the consistency of silicone. I've just coated the eyepiece on my Retina IIc and now have to wait 24 hours to see if it was successful.

Old 01-17-2020   #2
charjohncarter

I've tried Masking Tape and it works well.

Old 01-17-2020   #3
madNbad

I've tried it too but it rubs off in my jacket pocket. If the Sugru doesn't work just by it self, the next step is to try it as an adhesive to hold an O ring in place.

Old 01-17-2020   #4
webOSUser

I use black electrical tape on my Zorki 1 and to has protected my eyeglasses well.

Steve W

Old 01-17-2020   #5
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

The best thing I have found are the leather donuts that AkiAsahi sells.

Old 01-17-2020   #6
splitimageview

Sugru is great! I've fashioned it on the back of Fuji cameras as a grip of sorts, also to prevent accidental button presses...should work great on your Retina. Keep us posted...

Old 01-17-2020   #7
mothertrucker

I have used it on viewfinders and to fill in some missing vulcanite. It's good to have around and easy to work with. Seems to leave a residue on metal with a sheen though, it finds its way into rough surfaces.

Old 01-17-2020   #8
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Sugru is great! I've fashioned it on the back of Fuji cameras as a grip of sorts, also to prevent accidental button presses...should work great on your Retina. Keep us posted...
Amazing stuff. I have used it much in the same way, to build up the grip on cameras so I have a better hold. Also used it for many other applications. It has unique qualities. It remains flexible but it also sticks. Handles like clay or putty. Easy to shape / form. Only downside is the cost. Keep unused packs in the fridge - it lasts longer that way.

Old 01-17-2020   #9
madNbad

I’ll post a picture of my ham handed work tomorrow.

Old 01-17-2020   #10
Shac

I used it for the same purpose you were looking for. I put it on the eyepiece ring of a Canon L1 - worked just fine

Old 01-17-2020   #11
zuikologist

Greyhoundman, a former forum member always recommended adhesive Velcro cut to shape, you can even buy it as dots which are about viewfinder size. Works very well, I have used it on Leica and Canon viewfinders.

Old 01-18-2020   #12
madNbad

Not the neatest job and I'll still use my cheap glasses but here it is;

[IMG]IMG_1822 by Michael DeLuca, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2020   #13
bcostin

Thanks for showing your result. I've tried most of the DIY ideas from this thread, except Sugru, and haven't been very successful with any of them. I think I'll pick up a pack and give it a try.

Old 01-18-2020   #14
madNbad

I used a toothpick to help shape it but a flat sided stick would work better.

Old 01-18-2020   #15
peterm1

Something that has occurred to me as a possibility is to take some felt or rubber material of 2-3 millimetres thick. The sort which is used to make the little stick-on furniture protectors (typically placed on the bottom of objects d'art to protect furniture from being scratched) would be possible sources.

Then if you can find some appropriately sized hole punches (available in hardware and craft stores, often in sets) you could punch a smaller hole equivalent to the size of he rear finder lens and concentric with, it a larger hole to create the final "donut". This would give you a soft protector which could be glued onto the the metal surround of the finder - perhaps with silicone which holds quite securely but can be removed if needed. This arrangement would allow new protectors to be installed when ever they need replacing or if the old one is lost.

I have all of the above and should try it but have not bothered as I typically shoot without my eyeglasses and using a screw in diopter to correct for my eyesight.

Old 01-18-2020   #16
Shac

On my Leica M2 I use one of these - work OK but needs stronger adhesive
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/patc...iece/index.php

He also sells eyepiece patches for other cameras
http://aki-asahi.com/store/

Super guy to deal with

Old 01-18-2020   #17
ranger9

I've used Sugru for electrical repairs, but I feel it doesn't turn out as “rubbery” as the advertising implies... for me the finished texture is more like stiff, only slightly flexible plastic. Not sure it would be my first choice for an eyepiece protector. Other than the purpose-made stick-on circles, my best luck has been with rubber hose washers.

Old 01-18-2020   #18
Shac

Ranger9 - I agree it's not especially rubbery, but it is better at protecting eyeglass lenses than bare metal

Old 01-18-2020   #19
madNbad

Leica parts no longer sells the rubber coated eyepiece used on the M6, M7 and MP, fortunately, Don Goldberg has a snap on plastic cover. They work well, stay on and don't cost a lot. Recently, there is a seller on E-bay with a similar product for the M cameras. I'm trying one now to compare to the DAG cover. The problem is with a camera like the Retina where there isn't a ready made product. I've tried the stick on felt but inevitably they fall off at the most inappropriate time. Rubber O rings are a great idea but finding an adhesive that will both keep the ring in place and not out gas into the finder is a problem. I looked at silicone caulk, leather washers, nylon washers and any number of other gimcracks. The attraction to the Retina is it fits in a jacket pocket. Most of the stick on eyepiece covers is they come off in the pocket. Hopefully, this will stay on. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Old 01-18-2020   #20
KismetSky

I’ve used these with great luck. Super glue them on:
https://www.popflash.com/422-067-001-015

Old 01-18-2020   #21
Larry H-L

For camera eyepieces, PlastiDip works well, paints on like a thicker paint, dries rubbery. And, it will peel off easily if needed.

I've also used ShoeGoo black, for repair of athletic shoes, rubbery, but it can get really messy trying to apply it.

Old 01-18-2020   #22
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KismetSky View Post
I’ve used these with great luck. Super glue them on:
https://www.popflash.com/422-067-001-015
Superglue will out gas and fog the finder.

Old 01-18-2020   #23
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
For camera eyepieces, PlastiDip works well, paints on like a thicker paint, dries rubbery. And, it will peel off easily if needed.

I've also used ShoeGoo black, for repair of athletic shoes, rubbery, but it can get really messy trying to apply it.
I was about to try PlastiDip just before I found the Sugru. I bought some at one time but the owner of a local camera shop applied some silcone material to a IIa and I ended up returning the unopened product.

Old 01-18-2020   #24
madNbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
Something that has occurred to me as a possibility is to take some felt or rubber material of 2-3 millimetres thick. The sort which is used to make the little stick-on furniture protectors (typically placed on the bottom of objects d'art to protect furniture from being scratched) would be possible sources.

Then if you can find some appropriately sized hole punches (available in hardware and craft stores, often in sets) you could punch a smaller hole equivalent to the size of he rear finder lens and concentric with, it a larger hole to create the final "donut". This would give you a soft protector which could be glued onto the the metal surround of the finder - perhaps with silicone which holds quite securely but can be removed if needed. This arrangement would allow new protectors to be installed when ever they need replacing or if the old one is lost.

I have all of the above and should try it but have not bothered as I typically shoot without my eyeglasses and using a screw in diopter to correct for my eyesight.
Peter, I can't see past the end of my elbow without glasses. My prescription lenses are expensive and I've already replaced one set of lenses because of scratches. I can see the rangefinder patch without glasses but everything else is just a blur. It's something I have dealt with for my entire life. One of the many things I like about this site is learning about what works from the members who have tried a lot of stuff that didn't work. This is really just one more option.

Old 01-18-2020   #25
splitimageview

Plastidip comes off too easily, in my experience...

Old 01-18-2020   #26
ranger9

I suspect a laser cutter would be the ideal solution for creating the shape/size needed, if we could find a material that wouldn't catch fire or stink up the place during cutting. It also might be possible to 3D print a shape that would snap onto or slide over the original eyepiece, and be just small enough to stay in place with very little adhesive. The (few) 3D printing projects I've done use a plastic material that has a slightly flexible, waxy finish that probably wouldn't scratch eyeglasses. Anybody got a 3D printer?