Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Replacement screen option for Rolleiflex 3.5E3?
Old 08-08-2011   #1
hans voralberg

Replacement screen option for Rolleiflex 3.5E3?

Hi guys,

My Rolleiflex 3.5E3 (removable hood) came with a pretty scratched up screen which I want to replace. Beatie Intenscreen is way out of budget, Rick doesn't do screen for this version, and the ebay ones all have the centre split prism which I kinda hate.

So beside buying a RB67 screen and snap it in place do I have any other option for a plain matte or a matte with centre spot (ala Mamiya TLR)?

Lens: Too many to list!

My Flickr

Old 08-08-2011   #2
Mablo

I guess you listed all the usual suspects except maybe the Maxwell screen ($200). I picked up an eBay screen with the split prism. It's not optimal but I guess I can live with it untill I'll find a suitable RB67 screen. Btw. RD67 screens are different and no good for a DIY job.

Old 09-12-2011   #3
PMCC
Late adopter.

Looking for economical alternatives to the Maxwell and Beattie screens,
I came across this link from another thread here on the RFF TLR forum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2903wt_133

Can anyone say how these compare with other alternatives? I'm aware of Rick Oleson's screen, which works fine with smaller screen TLRs, but last I checked Rick no longer provides the larger screens such as the one above to fit removable hood Rolleis. Can anyone confirm the seller's claim that no adjustment is required for installation?

Old 09-14-2011   #4
Dan Daniel

The surface a screen rests against in a removable-screen Rollei like an E3 is the same surface where the focusing happens. So no matter how thick the screen, the focus surface will always be in the same place, meaning no need for adjustment.

As to any other possible adjustment, I can't say.

Most TLRs, like older Rolleis, Autocords, Yashica-Mats, have the focus screen's top surface index its location. So different thicknesses of screens will locate the focusing surface at different levels.

For mirrors, the Yashica-Mat has all three points cast into the body, so the front surface of the mirror will always be in the same plane. Minoltas and Rolleis have one cast point and two screw-down points, so mirror thickness could affect focus. Theoretically, at least. I've used mirrors from both US Camera and redleica and both measure within .003 inch of the stock mirror. But since a mirror change is almost always part of other work for me, I check focus just to be certain.

Old 09-27-2011   #5
saxshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCC View Post
Looking for economical alternatives to the Maxwell and Beattie screens,
I came across this link from another thread here on the RFF TLR forum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2903wt_133

Can anyone say how these compare with other alternatives? I'm aware of Rick Oleson's screen, which works fine with smaller screen TLRs, but last I checked Rick no longer provides the larger screens such as the one above to fit removable hood Rolleis. Can anyone confirm the seller's claim that no adjustment is required for installation?
I ordered one last week (price seemed to have gone up $5 since then). Shipping HK to USA seems to take a while, I'll report back when I receive it. I figure for the price it is worth trying.

Old 09-27-2011   #6
PMCC
Late adopter.

After kicking it around here for a while, I ended up getting a used Mamiya RB screen for cutting down to Rolleiflex size. It's plain matte with just a clear spot in the center, no grid lines. I'm pleased with how well it works in the Rollei. For me it's a worthwhile improvement over the original factory screen, somewhat brighter throughout with quite snappy focus, while far less costly than the brand-name 3rd party bright screens (which I've never tried but whose merits are often reported). BTW, I understand that Rick Oleson may soon be offering larger size generic screens for the removable finder Rollei models (E2, E3, F, T, and Rolleicord Vb). Great guy to deal with.

Old 10-31-2011   #7
rulnacco

I've used the cut-down Mamiya RZ screen technique for my 2.8F. Much of an improvement, indeed.

I'm still lusting after a Maxwell screen, tho--and the preceding post makes me salivate all the more, lol!

Old 10-31-2011   #8
Leigh Youdale

Maxwell, in all three of mine. Worth it.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 10-31-2011   #9
f16sunshine

Maxwell is the brightest and easiest to get accurate focus with. Well worth the money. Call Bill and talk to him about how you shoot. He will recommend the right screen. Here is a quick snap of a Maxwell in action.

Old 10-31-2011   #10
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

You won't be sorry with a Maxwell choice.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 11-02-2011   #11
thompsonks

To some – including myself – the 3.5E3 w/o meter is the finest of Rolleis – sharp, light, well-balanced. It deserves the best of screens, which would be a Maxwell plain grid.

Your signature bar mentions a lot of other photo stuff. Sell something & treat this fine Rollei to what it deserves, a full CLA + Maxwell.

Old 11-03-2011   #12
skipjack

I have the 3.5E. It came with the Maxwell screen which immediately convinced me to get purchase one the other Rolleiflex I have. Makes the camera much more usable and enjoyable. A full CLA on a Rollei makes a world of difference.

Old 11-03-2011   #13
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonks View Post
To some – including myself – the 3.5E3 w/o meter is the finest of Rolleis – sharp, light, well-balanced. It deserves the best of screens, which would be a Maxwell plain grid.
A 3.5E3 w/o meter arrived at my house last week and contrary to the seller's description of everything being "original" it has a very bright screen with a split image center spot that I don't like, so I'm very glad to hear that Maxwell makes a screen that has a grid but no center spot.

Does anyone know of a web page/site that has pictures of the view through various screens? The only one I could find is Rick Oleson's which naturally enough focuses on his own stuff.

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-03-2011   #14
thompsonks

I doubt you can tell much from pictures, because the most important factor is whether or not the image appears to 'pop' into focus, when you get it right. This is the advantage of the Maxwell plain grid screen over the ones with split image.

Old 11-03-2011   #15
Leigh Youdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post

Does anyone know of a web page/site that has pictures of the view through various screens? The only one I could find is Rick Oleson's which naturally enough focuses on his own stuff.
Bill Maxwell doesn't have a website. The only way you can communicate with him is by phone or email. He's very helpful either way.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 11-04-2011   #16
peter_n
~

Is the plain grid screen as bright as the ones with a center spot? This screen is very bright compared to my MX. I think I'm going to send the camera to Krikor Maralian anyway, it hasn't been used for a number of years.

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-11-2011   #17
srtiwari
Daktari

I spoke with Krikor recently re changing screens, and he feels that one cannot assume correct focus since screen thicknesses vary. Anyone had a problem with incorrect focus after changing screens ?

Old 11-11-2011   #18
hans voralberg

Holy christ! The Maxwell screen shot up there is just eye-popping, guess I have to save up for one!

Lens: Too many to list!

My Flickr