Real world FSU lens on Leica experience
Old 08-09-2013   #1
lrochfort

Real world FSU lens on Leica experience

Hello Leica M users!

I'm very slowly saving for an M6 (the M4 calls to me, but I feel I now need a camera with built in meter)

I currently use a Fed 2 with Jupiter 8, 12 and Industar 61 L/D. I would like to keep them for the Leica because I think they're better lenses than I am a photographer.

Do people have real world experience with them on M bodies? Does the fact that they're calibrated for Contaxish FSU bodies really matter wide open and up close?

Thanks all!

Old 08-09-2013   #2
Brian Legge

At f2-2.8 - and with later lenses - you may be in the clear. Hard to know until you try with your specific lenses though.

Old 08-09-2013   #3
mdarnton

I have three FSU lenses, and they all back-focus about six inches at one meter. Some folks say this doesn't happen, but then when I go check their pictures, when I can find some, they're pretty obviously back focused at a meter, about six inches. So I guess it depends on how low your standards for "in focus" are. :-)

I don't think it would be impossible to learn how to compensate, however, and they are pretty good lenses when they're in focus. My f/1.1 Nokton has some focus shift in the same direction as it stops down, and I'm attempting to deal with it, making corrections a habit on my part.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 08-09-2013   #4
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
I would like to keep them for the Leica because I think they're better lenses than I am a photographer.
There's nothing wrong with that; more glass gives you more options. Not every lens a person uses has to be an air bleeding sharp megadollar Leica lens.

Quote:
Does the fact that they're calibrated for Contaxish FSU bodies really matter wide open and up close?
The closer you are to your subject, the more this will become a factor - particularly when shooting wide open.

My thought: Keep the lenses you have and see how they perform on your future M6. If you like them now, you will probably still like them on your M6.

Old 08-09-2013   #5
lrochfort

Thanks everyone. Suck it and see seems a good option!

Personal preference how much of a problem t is I suppose.

Old 08-09-2013   #6
pb908

i have several j8, and one j12, industar collapsible
somehow, all focus fine in my rd1, and give me better image uality compared to some old leica/canon ltm i have ever tried.
a good j12 and j8 should be a keeper until you save up some more money for better lenses

Old 08-09-2013   #7
PatrickCheung

I really liked the J8... and the J12! Here's a J8 on the M8...

And a J12 on the M8:

Hundred Strangers Project

Old 08-10-2013   #8
Nomad Z

I calibrated my J-3 for close stuff with Leica - it was definitely out. I never bothered with the J-12, partly because I didn't do close stuff with it, and partly because I never bothered finding out how before I bought a f2.5 Skopar C to replace it (J-12 lives with the Zorki and a J-8 now). For general scenes at middling apertures with the J-12 on Leica, it was fine.

Old 08-10-2013   #9
ruby.monkey

My J-12 focusses acceptably accurately on both an M3 and M2, at all apertures, and without adjustment. I used to own a J-3 that had been adjusted by a previous owner, which worked well at all all distances; just couldn't trust the distance scale marked on the lens.

Old 08-10-2013   #10
hans voralberg

The J-8 and J-3 can be reshim for focus so it should be fine to keep them, cheaper than buying a new lens anyway. And the J-8 properly adjusted is a very good lens.

Lens: Too many to list!

My Flickr

Old 08-10-2013   #11
smbilgin

I use my J8 with a cheap Chinese adapter on my M2 and never had any problem. I also have a summicron 50 and it had back focus issue at large apartures and now I sent it to Youxin to get it CLA'd. But never experienced any focus problem with J8.

This example was shot with M2 + J8 + Tri-X (@400) and developed with D76 1:1 @20C 10 min

Flickr Portfolio

Old 08-10-2013   #12
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

If there is an FSU lens that is faster than J12 (must be 35mm focal length for me), I would use it in a heartbeat. If I am a 50mm guy, I would use the J8 on my M4-P without a doubt.

To me, the true advantage of the Leica M system is the body, not the lenses. The optical difference between Leitz vs non-Leitz lenses are not worth the price difference. And in most cases, I can't tell the difference anyways.