Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Where Would You Go?
Old 08-20-2018   #1
ktmrider

Where Would You Go?

I have been retired for ten years and have traveled a lot. My wife just retired in June and we are headed to Scotland for a long walk at the end of September. We enjoy the outdoors and keeping active.

After we return from Scotland, we will be going to Alaska in October. My wife will be there three months (trying to decide if one can go home again). Then she is heading to Baja for New Years. I would like to do another trip with her in February. We have traveled extensively through Europe and North America. She has never been to Asia or South America.

If you could go anywhere, where would it be? I am offering her trips to SE Asia (Ankor Wat and Bangkok), Peru (Machu Picchu) or New Zealand or Australia. Neither of us has been to India or Japan (away from US military bases anyway).

And of course I would like it if the destination was "photo worthy."

So where is the one destination you were struck with or you would go back to again and again? For me, it would be Alaska or perhaps Istanbul if picking a city.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old 08-20-2018   #2
Peter Wijninga

I'd stay in a place that feels like home.

Old 08-20-2018   #3
back alley
IMAGES

first...japan

then to every city that has a major league baseball park!

Old 08-20-2018   #4
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I would love to return to Madagascar.

Friendly people, stunning, varied scenery and wonderfully colorful, photogenic architecture.

Old 08-20-2018   #5
lukx

What's important to you? I do not know your desired level of comfort and budget. I'd say if you want breathtaking landscapes while maintaining a western level of comfort (prices included) go to New Zealand and/or Australia. The cities over there might me very nice, but I assume they are rather similar to what you already know.

If you are more the city lurking type who want to take photos of interesting people in city/street environments, go to SE Asia or Peru. The experience there is probably more raw and might be further out of your comfort zone, which might be more creatively challenging.

Old 08-20-2018   #6
lynnb

No recommendation, just a suggestion to include seasonal climate in your consideration. Some nice places can be pretty uncomfortable in February, depending on your personal tolerance. Sydney, for example, would be very warm to hot (30-42C) and humid in February.
Flickr

Old 08-20-2018   #7
shimokita
白黒

Every December and/or January I go to the north of Japan... just love the snow country. Been to Hokkaido many times and over the years have visited most areas in that prefecture... one visit found me spending one month in Sapporo and traveling the area by train (December). I visit the mountains and forests of Nagano 4-5 times a year... January 2018 I was in Niigata where we had 1 meter of snow in one day... it was great ; ). I can also recommend Aomori and this winter I am headed for Akita and Yamagata... what can I say, I love the snow.

Last month I was ten days shooting in the rice fields of Batad and Banaue, about nine hours drive north of Manila... beautiful. Driver and guide recommended.

I loved Chandigarh and state of Punjab, but for some reason India get mixed reviews.

Can't go wrong with New Zealand, and for something different Germany, Czech Republic, and Sweden are my picks for Europe... oh and Austria ; )

Have fun...

Old 08-20-2018   #8
Deardorff38

Ktmrider
"So where is the one destination you were struck with or you would go back to again and again"
It sounds like you've got some great trips lined up. Living, working & travelling I spend a lot of time in the mountains. As far as cities 'again & again ?' I enjoy Paris every time. If I could only ever visit one country? I'd pick Italy without hesitation, especially the northern part bordering on France, Switzerland & Austria; the Dolomites, great climate, wine & food.

Old 08-20-2018   #9
Paulbe

ktm--you're a motorcyclist--get on the bike and go! Plenty of roads here in the USA and lots of overseas organized tours. My riding friend and I did 3500 miles in June from here to Quebec City and back. Lot of sights and sites! No excuses! GO!! :-)
Paul

Old 08-20-2018   #10
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ +1 , Peter

Old 08-20-2018   #11
maggieo
More Deadly

Italy. From the Adriatic to the Alps, down to Rome and Sicily.

Be sure to eat and drink!

Old 08-20-2018   #12
ktmrider

Well, I hiked part of the Inca Trail about five years ago with my daughter on our trip to Machu Picchu and my wife and I are looking at it as well as SE Asia and Angkor Watt. Surprisingly, airfare from LAX is almost the same to Thailand or Peru or Australia or India. However, New Zealand is about double.

And we can go from wilderness travel and camping to nice hotels. Honestly, we are not into five star accommodations but hostels and b&b's. My favorite cities over the last few years were York, Istanbul, Florence, and Bangkok. And we both prefer the mountains to the beach but also love rivers.

And yes we are motorcyclists. My wife rides her own and does not care for the back of mine and I don't blame her. However, she is overcoming an attack of vertigo and is not ready to climb back unto the motorcycle as of yet. If she was, we would be headed toward Alaska right now on motorcycles. I have done that little trip three times. It is only 8000 miles round trip. Her family is in Anchorage and we may move there next year.

Old 08-20-2018   #13
BillBingham2

I'd recommend New Zealand. My In-Laws went there when they were around 65 and had the time of their lives. I'd add to the list Vietnam and China as close seconds. Previously they traveled all over, pretty much anywhere a KC-135 could land as well as lots of trips thanks to miles on United.

An acquaintance about ten years ago raved about Laos, but she was in her mid-20s at the time. Very different mindset and abilities.

Other places I'd love to recommend, like Egypt but with an American passport and our Tweeter-N-Chief don't give me the warm and fuzzies.

B2 (;->

Old 08-20-2018   #14
ktmrider

I rented a motorcycle in Laos for seven days about four years ago. If we head to SE Asia, I am thinking of flying into Vietnam and then overland to Bangkok. I would love to rent bikes again but she is still fighting vertigo and has not ridden her motorcycle since January. Angkor Wat and the temples of Bangkok would be must sees. Again, I have traveled in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos but she has not. In fact, she says she is equally attracted to the idea of either Machu Picchu or Angkor Wat. I have never been to Vietnam and it would be on our list. I was lucky and missed America's war there by a couple years (18 in 1970).

I agree about destinations which I would have to think hard about in today's political climate, specifically Egypt and Turkey. Istanbul is one of my favorite cities but I understands US citizens must now request a visa.

Old 08-20-2018   #15
pyeh

Japan is certainly very photogenic, as well as being an all-round great place. There's a very famous walking trail from Kyoto to Tokyo you and your wife might like, not that you have to do the whole hike. Not speaking Japanese is not a hindrance either.

Old 08-20-2018   #16
Bill Clark

We’re going to Costa Rica this fall.

Next year, a riverboat cruise on the Nile in Egypt.

We did a riverboat tour last fall from Prague to Paris. A few bus rides to get to our final destinstion. I love Paris! Lots of photo ops.

A friend has walked from the rim to the bottom of the Grand Canyon several times. Once with a group then after that by himself. It sounds interesting, if done when there are less people and mild weather.

Old 08-20-2018   #17
kxl
Social Documentary

No brainer for me -- JAPAN.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 08-20-2018   #18
Hogarth Ferguson

I'll go to my 60th country next month. I'd suggest going to Patagonia. I loved it. Absolutely amazing place.

Old 08-21-2018   #19
Mute-on

JAPAN !

We’ve been annually for 3 years. Can’t wait to go back. If you haven’t been, you would be mad not to go.

The Kyoto to Tokyo trail (Kiso Valley) is beautiful. We did a short section from Megome. Very highly recommended.

J

Old 08-21-2018   #20
Steve M.

It's true that you can't go back home again. You can, but you will be different, and it will have changed too.

I like it right where I am in Albuquerque. The summers can be pretty hot and the winters are much too cold for this Southerner, but it's become home for a number of reasons. The sky and the light are incredible. Very special, you won't find it anywhere else.

Traveling doesn't interest me anymore, especially if it involves flying, because they've made that such a miserable experience. But I'll take a train almost anywhere, as long as it brings me back here.

Old 08-21-2018   #21
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

For places I haven't visited: Iceland, Russia, New Zealand.

For places I have visited:

Budapest, Hungary. Beautiful and grand city, and it still has the "Old Europe" feeling. Warm people despite current xenophobic political trend.

Yun Nan province, China. Mild climate and polite people and cool landscape, especially to us Northerners.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 08-21-2018   #22
NaChase

I've always wanted to go to Patagonia, which would also cross South America off the list.

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 08-21-2018   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I suppose I’m biased, having moved here from South Australia over a decade ago, but one place which is usually overlooked, and has so much to offer those with a love of the outdoors, is Tasmania. Have a look at the Overland Track or the recently made Three Capes Track. And on top of that you have the abundant convict history of the state, smashing food and produce, and even a cracking museum of old and new art in Hobart, now.
Worth considering.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-21-2018   #24
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Vietnam. I'd rent (or even buy) a motorcycle in Saigon and ride all the way up to Hanoi.

I want to explore the fjords of Norway.

I want to bicycle all over Ireland and Scotland.

Go hiking with my brother in Australia.

Explore the mountains of Ethiopia.

Banff, Canada.
Grand Tetons.
Gates of the Arctic.

Grand Island, Nebraska.

One day I want to go back to Fallujah, Iraq. If it is ever peaceful there.

Phil Forrest

Old 08-21-2018   #25
NaChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
One day I want to go back to Fallujah, Iraq. If it is ever peaceful there.

Phil Forrest
I feel the same way about Ghazni, Afghanistan. So much history.

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 08-21-2018   #26
ktmrider

I have traveled a lot in SE Asia back in the 1980's courtesy of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (USMC) but also more recently since retirement. Motorcycling for seven days in Laos, two weeks with my daughter in Cambodia and Thailand including Ankgor Watt, Bangkok, and Chiang Mai. My wife needs to see these countries and I need to see Vietnam.

Japan has always been on my list. I remember romanticizing Japan while watching the miniseries SHOGUN back in the 1980's. And I spent time there in the late 1970's while being a pilot for USMC with a year on Okinawa.

So I am guessing it will either be SE Asia or Peru and Machu Picchu in February. She says both are on her list and neither jumps out as a favorite. Funny, but I have been retired for ten years and traveled while she stayed home and worked. She retired in June and is catching up with trips to the Northwest of US, Scotland next month, three months in Anchorage to see if she can recapture her desire to move home, Xmas with our daughter in Taos, NM, and New Years in Baja with friends. I am staying home to look after the house and pets.

Fair is fair so I get to go to Scotland next month and Alaska for a couple weeks in October. I still have Japan, India, and France on my to do list.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Old 08-21-2018   #27
Beemermark

My parents traveled across the US dragging me along before Eisenhower invented the interstate system. As I grew up I continued to travel the US mostly via motorcycle. As I entered my 60's work forced me overseas. Nothing wrong with overseas except it requires flying.

IMHO visit all the US National Parks, try to go during non tourist season. I think I see more European & Asian visitors at our parks then US citizens. If that isn't enough visit the State Parks. Then get off the interstate and visit the places in between.

I'm not knocking any foreign country but I think a lot of people miss what is in their own back yard.

Old 08-21-2018   #28
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
My parents traveled across the US dragging me along before Eisenhower invented the interstate system. As I grew up I continued to travel the US mostly via motorcycle. As I entered my 60's work forced me overseas. Nothing wrong with overseas except it requires flying.

IMHO visit all the US National Parks, try to go during non tourist season. I think I see more European & Asian visitors at our parks then US citizens. If that isn't enough visit the State Parks. Then get off the interstate and visit the places in between.

I'm not knocking any foreign country but I think a lot of people miss what is in their own back yard.

Our national parks are amazing, I went to two this week, actually. I would wholeheartedly agree.

Old 08-22-2018   #29
ktmrider

I am not knocking the US but I really don't count domestic trips since I do so many of them. I was a pilot for 33 years and saw a lot of the US from the air and spent lots of time on the ground between flights. Additionally, we did a lot of wilderness travel by canoe, horse or even foot. I have probably seen 90% or more of the US park system.

I mean all I have to do for US or Canadian travel is jump in my truck, add gas and go. And honestly traveling in Mexico only involves about 30 minutes at the border doing Customs paperwork which is then good for 180 days.

So, I don't think I have missed much in my own backyard but am wondering what is over the fence and on the other side which may be worth seeing.

Old 08-22-2018   #30
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post

That's true, at least for me. I've travelled more in Europe than in China. Probably should do it before things get even more expensive there.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 08-22-2018   #31
michaelbialecki

If you decide to come to Bangkok, feel free to hit me up, I’ll take you out for a photo walk.

Old 08-22-2018   #32
ktmrider

I love BKK and have been there several times but my wife has never been to Asia. The first time in BKK was in 1980 while stationed on an aircraft carrier which was making a port call about Xmas if I remember correctly. I was probably shooting with a Nikon or Leica M4-P and I have kodachromes of the palace. It would probably have been Kodachrome 25. When I was back in BKK about two years ago with my daughter, I was again shooting with a Leica and I swear to god that the colors of my slides from 1980 still match my photos from two years ago.

It's too bad E6 film does not age as well as kodachrome and it is too bad kodachrome is no longer made.

Old 08-22-2018   #33
Archlich

Top on my to do list is the Ulster Way, a 625 mile trail system that encircles Northern Ireland. Gonna be a big dose of scenery, culture and personal moments, if I'd ever get that vacation!

Truly remote wilderness is awe-inspiring, but hiking in a populated region with history is fun as well. The experience of continuously phasing in and out of civilization is transcendent...

Old 08-22-2018   #34
micromontenegro

You sound like a very good candidate for my namesake´s way: El Camino de Santiago.

Old 08-22-2018   #35
Scapevision

Faroe Islands

Old 08-22-2018   #36
ktmrider

My daughter and I did the Portuguese portion of the Camino de Santiago four years ago after completing the West Highland Way. Remember reading the climate in that part of Spain was very similar to the rainforest of the Olympia Peninsula of the Northwest. And so it proved to be.

I would like to spend more time in Madrid. We spent most of our time in Spain on the Camino and then Grenada.

Old 08-22-2018   #37
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I'll say it again, Madagascar.

Old 08-22-2018   #38
JeffS7444

Japan's certainly an easy pick - there's a seemingly endless variety of things you could see, do and eat there. Outside of the big cities, a surprising amount of the country is covered in forest dotted here and there with farming and fishing villages. Do try the resort onsen if you get a chance! Hanging around a public bath, eating good food, and wandering around the hotel in a bathrobe may not seem like much to boast about, but they've elevated it to an art form in Japan.

Had a wonderful time in Korea too. Not so much in the way of old buildings as the land, the people and the food, oh yes the food. I think Koreans in particular had this great idea that, if food tastes best hot off the fire, why not bring the fire to the dining table?

If you have the opportunity, do take Korean or Japanese airlines to your destination as they still take food, service and cleanliness seriously.

Old 08-22-2018   #39
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
We enjoy the outdoors and keeping active.

Thanks in advance for the comments.
Tasmania (not that I'm biased)

If you like the outdoors and long walks it's a paradise.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 08-23-2018   #40
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I am not knocking the US but I really don't count domestic trips since I do so many of them. I was a pilot for 33 years and saw a lot of the US from the air and spent lots of time on the ground between flights. Additionally, we did a lot of wilderness travel by canoe, horse or even foot. I have probably seen 90% or more of the US park system.

I mean all I have to do for US or Canadian travel is jump in my truck, add gas and go. And honestly traveling in Mexico only involves about 30 minutes at the border doing Customs paperwork which is then good for 180 days.

So, I don't think I have missed much in my own backyard but am wondering what is over the fence and on the other side which may be worth seeing.

In that case (since your a pilot I can assume you don't mind flying - unlike me) go to Finland. I've been to Japan, Spain, most of Europe, North America and my favorite was Finland. Travel time by air from East Coast to Helsinki is about the same as Tokyo so I doubt I'll ever go again. But Finland in Jan is amazing.