Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Old 6 Days Ago   #41
Dralowid
Michael

Reading all this who on earth would actually want to be camera repair person?

Old 6 Days Ago   #42
Huss

I dont know of any competent repair shops driven out if business because of too much work.

No matter what line if business they are in.

Old 6 Days Ago   #43
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Reading all this who on earth would actually want to be camera repair person?
Sover, DAG, Youxin, Harry Fleenor/Rolleirepairs, Precision Camera Works, Nippon Photographic etc etc
Ya know all the competent professional shops that do excellent work and are honest about lead times.

Old 6 Days Ago   #44
Mackinaw
Think Different

Earlier this year I purchased a near-mint Canon VI-T rangefinder. The shutter speeds were all off and the lever advance was very rough and notchy. I was going to ask DAG for a cost and time-to-repair estimate, but heard good things about Kanto Camera, in Japan, so decided to go with them. I fired off an email to Kanto and got back a timely response giving me a cost estimate and informing me they were backlogged and that it would be three months before they could get to my camera. I was okay with that and mailed the camera to Japan. At exactly the three month mark, they notified me my camera was being worked on (they put a picture of my taken-apart camera on their Instagram page too). Another email soon followed telling we what was wrong with the camera and how much it would cost to fix (the notchy film advance was due to a broken self-timer. They replaced the self-timer. Don’t ask me where they got a new one). The cost was very reasonable so I PP’d them the money and got my repaired camera in less than a week. Kanto did a stellar job. I’ll definitely be using them in the future.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 6 Days Ago   #45
splitimageview

Good to know, Jim! Thanks for the report.

Old 3 Days Ago   #46
DLox

Reading through some of these posts fills a fear. I have had 'withdrawal' symptoms for my Leica 3f.
Does anyone have any news of Alan Starkie and his current turn-around time?
Last I heard it was 4 to 5 months; right now I have clocked 7 months.

D./
Lox

Old 3 Days Ago   #47
splitimageview

The Starkies are pretty booked, they just finished a project of mine that I sent them in February.

Old 3 Days Ago   #48
IIIg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Sover, DAG, Youxin, Harry Fleenor/Rolleirepairs, Precision Camera Works, Nippon Photographic etc etc
Ya know all the competent professional shops that do excellent work and are honest about lead times.

You might add Hendrickson at Pentaxes.

Old 2 Days Ago   #49
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
At the bottom of this email, was this statement:

'Your repair "place in line" has been added chronologically to our password protected website tab...
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Lastly, attached below is the current list.
Just a point of order - I think that list is intended to be private.

Not that I, as you Americans say, have a dog in this fight.

Old 2 Days Ago   #50
splitimageview

The list doesn’t reveal any private info.

There have been no further changes to said list...

Old 2 Days Ago   #51
Pioneer

I have had work done by most of the people discussed in this thread, including Eric, Henry, Gus, Youxin and DAG (among others), and can honestly say I have been thrilled with the results.

But, to be honest, I did not expect the repair to be quick and anticipated a very long turnaround.

Most of the time my expectations were rewarded.

In my experience if you honestly expect your particular camera to be repaired quickly then you had better be prepared to negotiate for a much higher price then the standard quote. As they say, you get what you pay for.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 2 Days Ago   #52
CharlesDAMorgan

I was once told 3 months for a dual range Summicron service, which ended up as 9 months. In the end, after largely despairing of getting it back within a year, it arrived back in an exquisite condition. Good Leica repairers here are completely overwhelmed so you just have to take it on the chin.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 2 Days Ago   #53
splitimageview

Good points, quality techs are booked.

No problems with the wait; the problem is when the promised wait (10 weeks) expanded into 24 months, and when this was related to the tech, suddenly queue jumping starts, which indicates the queue is, in fact, of no value. In addition, doubt arose about the statement of working on cameras in 'like batches', which the queue itself disputes...

Latest: After the queue jump, I was told the CLs were going to be done last Friday, but have received no further word.