Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Doubts on Rolleiflex optics
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
maxpina

Doubts on Rolleiflex optics

I bought from a friend a Rolleiflex 3.5F with Opton Oberkochen optic, I tried to search on the various lists but from the serial number it should be a model produced in 1965/66 with Planar or Xenotar 3.5 optics, so that has to do with the opton what is written on the lens? Quality compared to Planar?
I am also attaching a photo
Thanks
Max
https://ibb.co/Nx8QD2q

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
charjohncarter

You have probably read this. They seemed to have used them on Rolleiflex.

http://www.arnecroell.com/zeissoberkochen.pdf

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
maxpina

Thank you very much !! This is an interesting document, I'll read it carefully!
@charjohncarter , Do you think it could be advantageous to have the word "Opton" or could it be used to depreciate the appliance in the event of a sale?
Max

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
TenEleven

It's the same lens as the Planar. Pl = Planar. It should be the 5 element 3.5 Carl Zeiss planar. The only difference is in the nameplate because it was a Rolleiflex 3.5F meant for sale in either East Germany or elsewhere behind the Iron Curtain.

To explain:

After Germany lost the war and got split up there were two Carl Zeiss. A Carl Zeiss (Jena) in the east and Zeiss-Opton (Stuttgart) in the west.
Their lenses were labelled accordingly either "Zeiss Opton" (West) or "Carl Zeiss Jena" (East). Later on Carl Zeiss (West) won the legal right to use the "Carl Zeiss" and from there on out all lenses were labelled "Carl Zeiss". However, the situation was not resolved in the East and thus West German optics were labelled "OPTON" to differentiate from East German "Carl Zeiss Jena" (later "aus Jena") lenses.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
View Range

For a person who plans to use the camera, the sale price should be the same whether the lens is marked Opton or Zeiss. For a new collector, the person may prefer to start with a camera with a Zeiss lens first and thus not be interested. For a collector of all things Rollieflex, the person might pay more for a camera with an Opton lens. I don't know who many Opton Rolleiflex's exist.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Beemermark

Model K4E I think
http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tl.../A-F_tlr.shtml

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
maxpina

I thank you for the interesting answers, I am now much quieter, so this lens should have 6 lenses, right?
Wow that mine of information that this forum has, thanks again