10% off entire website
Use code TENOFF at checkout

https://www.ultrafineonline.com

Chris

Old 1 Week Ago   #82
IIIg

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfaninchawater View Post
I have an old box of 120 Kodak Verichrome Pan that expired in 1959 with the price tag still in tact. Film cost: $0.70, Tax: $.03, Total: $0.73. Per a number of inflation calculators I used, the price for the film in 2019 dollars would be $6.44 adjusting for inflation. The price for 120 Tri-X today at B&H is $6.99 when purchased in a 5 pack.

This seems to back up your concept that the cost of film like everything else in life has gone up. And in this case the cost is just about even with inflation.

I would also add that the old adage remains true; film is still the cheapest thing in photography."
Price worked its way up by the early 1960's. Kodak 135-36 and 120 were 85 cents a roll everywhere then.

Old 1 Week Ago   #83
IIIg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I'm glad to see someone with some sense. Not here, but in the other places I frequent, people complain about every price increase.

If what Adox says is true, which I assume it is, prices for film are too low. The only way to train new people, reinvest in your equipment, is to raise prices. If it costs 4 dollars to make a roll and you sell it for 4.10, you're only covering your costs and a little extra.

At the end of the day, I'll pay for film no matter what the cost (within reason) and just shoot accordingly. I budget for this hobby of mine, and as long as film is being made, I'll likely be a film shooter.
The recent presentation by the technical man from ADOX (quick web search will find it) could not have been more clear or more accurate on these points.

Current film production (by everyone) is using heritage equipment and drawing on the practical/intellectual skills of an aging technical staff. These are wasting assets.

The ADOX gentleman made it clear that a roll of 135/36 had to fetch about USD$7.50 for a film manufactured in the near future to financially justify replacement/upgrading of production equipment and realistic recruitment offers of career opportunities for technical staff to support production.

Those are the constraints/rules: stated in US$; 20 cents per 35mm shot and film will be available as long as one can use it. Cigarettes. I note, go for 40-50 cents apiece these days. The roll film will do you less personal damage.

I

Old 1 Week Ago   #84
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Not a surprise. Prices going up everywhere for most every thing.

Actually this is incorrect. Inflation continues to be well below historical averages, to the point that central banks around the world are keeping interest rates at or near zero. Central bankers struggle to understand why inflation is near non existent.

Old 1 Week Ago   #85
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

At Walgreens pharmacy: Kodak Ultramax 400, three 24 exposure rolls per box, total $17. Sep. 2021 expiration. I like it enough to buy it.

Old 1 Week Ago   #86
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIg View Post

Those are the constraints/rules: stated in US$; 20 cents per 35mm shot and film will be available as long as one can use it. Cigarettes. I note, go for 40-50 cents apiece these days. The roll film will do you less personal damage.

I
Assuming you don't get cold-cocked taking someone's picture on the street, then a smoke will seem mighty enticing.

Old 1 Week Ago   #87
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Photo Warehouse Annual Holiday Weekend Sale
November 28 - December 2

10% off entire website
Use code TENOFF at checkout

https://www.ultrafineonline.com

Chris
Worked for me! I bought a 100' role of Ultrafine 400 - nice film too.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 1 Week Ago   #88
Contarama

Kodak?

Hey this is the company that invented digital cameras...they need to charge more so they can continue researching and developing exciting new technologies! About time I say!