Ricoh GXR M mount v Fujifilm X-Pro2?
Old 10-20-2016   #1
vladimir
vladimir

Ricoh GXR M mount v Fujifilm X-Pro2?

I would be interested if anyone on this forum used a same lens preferably Leica 2.0/35 Summicron on Ricoh GXR with A12 M module and the same lens on Fujifilm X-Pro2 or X2. I realise that we would be comparing apples and oranges to some extend but comparison would be interesting. I would be interested in final image quality rather then features. Thank you for your comments in advance.

Old 10-20-2016   #2
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I've not used the X-Pro2 yet, but it seems to not have the excellent Mode 2 focusing the GXR offers, which is, to me at least, the best way to implement focus peaking by far.

Old 10-20-2016   #3
zuikologist

The OVF would be the biggest difference as 35mm is near normal focal length on apsc. No OVF on the gxr. The EVF is also an add in for the gxr which slightly changes handling and size, but still smaller the the XPro. Otherwise, preference is down to handling - the gxr is a smaller body, smaller Leica lenses balance better.

Old 10-20-2016   #4
zuikologist

Good point. The gxr sensor also works better with some wide RF lenses, even if it is "old" technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
I've not used the X-Pro2 yet, but it seems to not have the excellent Mode 2 focusing the GXR offers, which is, to me at least, the best way to implement focus peaking by far.

Old 10-21-2016   #5
tuanvinh2000

the evf on the gxr is annoying to me since it keeps dropping/catching things on the way in my bag and out of my bag. i much prefer the built in evf style cameras in general. also the external evf solution in the gxr is not very high compared to more modern evf.
i agree that the gxr works best with wide angle compared to others esp with 21mm and wider. never had any smearing or dark corners.
for 35mm cron both cameras should work well. why dont you want a sony a7 series instead of the xpro 2 so you get the full frame for the same price. of course if you want more native lens fuji might be better with OVF option.

Old 10-21-2016   #6
zuikologist

I suppose A7/XPro 2 is a more fair comparison. the GXR with A12 and evf is probably 35% of the price of either of those bodies new. I have never had problems with the GXR evf except it slightly changes handling with the camera at eye level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanvinh2000 View Post
the evf on the gxr is annoying to me since it keeps dropping/catching things on the way in my bag and out of my bag. i much prefer the built in evf style cameras in general. also the external evf solution in the gxr is not very high compared to more modern evf.
i agree that the gxr works best with wide angle compared to others esp with 21mm and wider. never had any smearing or dark corners.
for 35mm cron both cameras should work well. why dont you want a sony a7 series instead of the xpro 2 so you get the full frame for the same price. of course if you want more native lens fuji might be better with OVF option.

Old 10-22-2016   #7
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
Nope, doesn't have that mode but it does have the split image mode which is similar to a split image focus prism where you line up the edges for focus.

Another way of shooting the XP2 with a legacy lens is using the ERF mode. That is the OVF with a tiny EVF window in the corner. Set that window to be the focus point zoomed in. If you then set the camera to focus peaking (red) and to monochrome (shoot RAW and you still have color photos) you can focus by just looking for that little square to turn red.

As far as EVFs themselves the XP2 has over 2.5x the resolution and I assume a much higher refresh rate. Both are important to MF. XP2s EVF is much better for MF than the XP1, esp. at lower light levels.

Shawn